NHL 1st ROUND PLAYOFF DISCUSSION(including broadcast info)

gomper

These playoffs are wacky--like the NCAA tournament this year. So much parity, golatending issues, etc. Hard pressed to say anyone is Likely to win anything, given the playoff performances so far.

This year's NCAA tourney was wacky? Did you see last year's?

These playoffs are wacky--like the NCAA tournament this year. So much parity, golatending issues, etc. Hard pressed to say anyone is Likely to win anything, given the playoff performances so far.

Yeah Lindy has been pressing the parity slogan all season. When anyone is likely to win, no one is likely to win. That'll be his get out of jail free card for the fans and ownership at some point -- if he even wants to stick around. Remember the Kelley column.

That blunder by Dan Boyle is potentially a series turning mistake.Reminds me of Steve Smith on Grant Fuhr in the 80's.

That was in the 3rd period of Game 7 - Edmonton didn't have an awful lot of time to recover from that.

At least Boyle's blunder gives the Sharks time to recover, even though that have to win 3 of the next 4.

O'Reilly got his stick in front of Boyle's attempt to dump it behind the net. I haven't seen a close enough view, but I'm assuming that actually deflected off of his stick. Boyle's being unfairly criticized here. If anything, Nabakov deserves as much crap for that one.

Don't remember it being as bizarre as this year, but my memory fades.

Three of the 4 seeds won their first round games. Two of those made it to the Frozen Four. Tons of last second goals and big comebacks (BU with 2 goals in the last minute to take the final to OT). Then there was the Vermont-Air Force game that was decided in OT on a review of a goal that was missed maybe 5 minutes earlier in the game. The whole tourney was insane and I have a hard time imagining anything that can match it in the near future.

...but anyway, that's a story for another thread.

Three of the 4 seeds won their first round games. Two of those made it to the Frozen Four. Tons of last second goals and big comebacks (BU with 2 goals in the last minute to take the final to OT). Then there was the Vermont-Air Force game that was decided in OT on a review of a goal that was missed maybe 5 minutes earlier in the game. The whole tourney was insane and I have a hard time imagining anything that can match it in the near future.

I could be wrong, but I think DD was referring to the NCAA basketball tournament.

Separately: I'm very impressed with Phoenix. No real stars, but that is a smart, tough hockey team that is pretty deep and has a good goaltender.

I was talking BB, not hockey. All I remember from the frozen four in 2009 was being at the Verizon Center with a bunch of Miami fans, and watching BU make the most remarkable comeback. My daughter is at BU, so it was the first time I felt I actually was a fan of a team that won something--an amazing game.

Funny video of Boyle's (really, O'Reilly's) goal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOole8fMgi0

The first few times, the announcers say that O'Reilly shot it on net. Then, they watch the replay and say that it goes off Boyle. Finally, after watching it a couple of times, they realize it was an own goal. How hard was it to see that Boyle shot it? The tough part was whether or not O'Reilly got his stick on it.

It will be remembered for that goal, but Craig Anderson had an amazing game. He was totally in the zone. 51 shot shutout?!

Funny video of Boyle's (really, O'Reilly's) goal:

The first few times, the announcers say that O'Reilly shot it on net. Then, they watch the replay and say that it goes off Boyle. Finally, after watching it a couple of times, they realize it was an own goal. How hard was it to see that Boyle shot it? The tough part was whether or not O'Reilly got his stick on it.

It will be remembered for that goal, but Craig Anderson had an amazing game. He was totally in the zone. 51 shot shutout?!

What a moment at the very end. Didn't look like anyone left for the first star announcement. Full house chanting the goalie's name, making him take a second twirl. The crowd is so loud that lady in the stands has to plug her ears. In another clip, after that, the crowd is even more into it while Anderson is being interviewed. After watching that and the end of the Hawks game, I believe the Sabres are missing their chance to make postgames more special. The interview on the ice of the first star -- maybe even the corny awarding of the white blazer, would be pretty cool. Maybe fans wouldn't bolt for the exits at the final horn.

Kings lead Canucks after 5-3 win. Wow, their PP is nasty, 3 ppg's tonight.

I forgot what those looked like watching the sabres.

A lot of people were picking the Kings to win that series, especially after they steamrolled the Canucks near the end of the regular season. I like the way they play and move the puck. That's a dangerous team.

Anyone see the no goal call on the Canucks? Burrows tried to wrap around and the puck went off of Sedin's skate and in.

Sedin was driving the net and putting on the brakes and in less than a second the puck bounces off of his braking foot (on the outside of his foot) and in.

You think the Sabres are #1 in getting shafted by the NHL? Well I can tell you this, Vancouver is a close second. This call was a disgrace, in fact it wasn't a call at all imo. Players may be quick on their feet but to anticipate that Burrows' attempt wouldn't work and have the time to make a distinct kicking motion??? Please. The ref said it was a good goal. The NHL war room basically spent 5 mins looking for a way to overturn the call. To overturn the call you have to have conclusive evidence. Check it out and you tell me.

Watch it in real motion first.

Anyone see the no goal call on the Canucks? Burrows tried to wrap around and the puck went off of Sedin's skate and in.

Sedin was driving the net and putting on the brakes and in less than a second the puck bounces off of his braking foot (on the outside of his foot) and in.

You think the Sabres are #1 in getting shafted by the NHL? Well I can tell you this, Vancouver is a close second. This call was a disgrace, in fact it wasn't a call at all imo. Players may be quick on their feet but to anticipate that Burrows' attempt wouldn't work and have the time to make a distinct kicking motion??? Please. The ref said it was a good goal. The NHL war room basically spent 5 mins looking for a way to overturn the call. To overturn the call you have to have conclusive evidence. Check it out and you tell me.

That's a tough call. It's not really a distinct kicking motion, but it's not an innocent redirection off a skate either. He sticks his leg out. Pendulum motion? But, not a distinct kicking motion... so it should have counted. Another rule that really needs to be clarified. Would be interesting to hear how the league justified the call.

By the way, has the league ever said, or has it been written in any rule book, that their video replay system is like the NFL's (need conclusive evidence to overturn a call)? Who's to say the NHL replay officials don't take a fresh look at each call and ignore the call on the ice?

But yeah that would be a tough one to swallow as a Canuck fan.

Kings jersey looks nice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=588v8BvGcnU

I can't seriously think that Sedin DIDN'T know what he was doing. If he was coming in straight to stop and the puck went off of him they probably would have counted it. But coming in and turning and tipping your toe in to get the puck? Great move by Sedin but no goal.

nhl.com's Situation Room says:

"Video Review was used to determine whether the puck was kicked into the net by Vancouver's Daniel Sedin with a kicking motion. Upon review, it was determined that the puck was propelled into the net by a kicking motion. This was not a deflection. The direction the puck was moving, and the force of the skate, were the determining factors in concluding 'No goal.'"

Wow, they really do make this stuff up as they go.

THIS IS GREAT!

Hey Taro, watch that video clip. Mike Murphy talks about a DVD sent out to the teams recently clarifying the rule! The NHL has entered the 21st century. A DVD memo!

Murphy admits there was not a distinct kicking motion! Rule book, we don't need no stinkin' rule book.

A lot of people were picking the Kings to win that series, especially after they steamrolled the Canucks near the end of the regular season. I like the way they play and move the puck. That's a dangerous team.

A very dangerous team. They have a great mix of youth and experience. Offense and defense and size and skill.

I really don't care who wins then SPens game, but if I see one more off-sides called incorrectly I think my head is going to explode. If it's that close that the ref can't be 100% sure, then the spirit of the rule is being upheld anyway. It completely kills the flow of the game.

Archived