NHL 1st ROUND PLAYOFF DISCUSSION(including broadcast info)

gomper

We could have had home ice advantage for the rest of the East Conference playoffs. I can't believe Washington is out. 6 times they've lost a game 7 at home in their history. We think we have it bad...

What a finish! I'm wondering though... Backstrom broke his stick before leaving the bench for the locker room. He then handed it to a fan. I'm wondering if this is out of frustration or if he had the thought process to break it to protect his [i'm assuming here] personalized stick design and setup. Just a thought.

1-33! First time in history a #1 seed has lost to a #8 after being up 3-1. Not mention being up 3 games to 1 as the President's Cup winner. This is a failure of historic proportion for the Caps. Gotta hand it to Montreal. Their series with the Pens is going to be a war.

GO SABRES!!!

1-33! First time in history a #1 seed has lost to a #8 after being up 3-1. Not mention being up 3 games to 1 as the President's Cup winner. This is a failure of historic proportion for the Caps. Gotta hand it to Montreal. Their series with Boston is going to be a war.

GO SABRES!!!

Unless you're foreshadowing a bit, the Habs play Pittsburgh in the next round.

We could have had home ice advantage for the rest of the East Conference playoffs. I can't believe Washington is out. 6 times they've lost a game 7 at home in their history. We think we have it bad...

Unfortunately the Sabres didn't take advantage of the home ice advantage that they did have. Hope that's something that sticks in their craw all summer and next season.

Connolly for Semin?

Actually I think the Caps are going to be on the prowl for a real No. 1 goaltender. Both Theodore and Varlamov are too inconsistent to be a dependable No. 1 and they need someone who can lock the door when the offense gets shut down like tonight. If the Caps had a truly hot goalie, Montreal would probably be facing a real quiet plane ride home.

I say that's a great trade, but it will only happen if the Caps' GM develops a crack problem so serious that he's totally incapable of a coherent thought.

Semin is a free agent after next year. He's gone one way or another--the Caps can't afford him.

Actually I think the Caps are going to be on the prowl for a real No. 1 goaltender. Both Theodore and Varlamov are too inconsistent to be a dependable No. 1 and they need someone who can lock the door when the offense gets shut down like tonight. If the Caps had a truly hot goalie, Montreal would probably be facing a real quiet plane ride home.

Yeah, those are real easy to find. :)

Yeah, but if you score only 2 against the Caps you expect to lose. Halak is for reals.

This is one of those times when I actually feel sorry for my mother-in-law. 1, the Caps didn't advance. 2, the Pens are still in it (and she hates Crosby with a passion).

Her team's out, and so is ours. :cry: :cry:

Oh, I didn't realize that. :doh: Think that will stop them from looking?

Given their payroll situation, even if a Miller or Lundqvist came along, they could not afford it. And those kinds of goalies rarely come available in free agency. You want a better goalie, you really need to develop one. Maybe Neuwirth, but they can't just get one, as you suggest. They have a fundamental problem in that regard.

The Habs had something like 40 blocked shots, Caps 6. Tells you alot about the want-to of these two teams.

I just thought about this. This is looking very scary for some odd reason. I can't remember if a #8 seed ever pulled off a Stanley Cup victory (can someone help me here?). Edmonton came very close in 2006 to upsetting the Hurricanes. Having said that, even though this is now going into the ECSF, I would not be surprised if we see the Habs pull off a "David kills Goliath" to add to their Stanley Cup collection. I'm not saying that they will definitely do that, but I would not put it past them to make it happen.

Archived