Max comments on Buffalo

Two or less

Puck Daddy interviewed Maxim Afinogenov and he had some things to say about Buffalo. Nothing crazy, but still i thought since he played here so long, people may want to check it out.

What are you memories of Buffalo?

I spent 10 years there, and it's not like it left nothing [behind]. There was a lot of good. For example, we twice made it to the Conference Finals. I still have a lot of friends there. I have a lot of good memories. But the last two years marred those memories a little bit. But I don't regret that I was there. I just had to continue my career somewhere else. I made that decision last summer. And I think I didn't make a mistake.

And why do you think it was Atlanta where you started showing what you can do again?

First of all, the coaching staff sees hockey a little different here, comparing to Buffalo. It is a more attack oriented hockey here, there are a lot of Russian guys playing here. It also helps.

Full Puck Daddy interview

So, it boils down to Max being a racist.

Wonder if Grier would be punished for saying "it helps that there's another black guy on the team", or even Connolly saying "There's more Americans on this team".

Didn't know that Russian and American are races?? :rolleyes:

So, it boils down to Max being a racist.

Wonder if Grier would be punished for saying "it helps that there's another black guy on the team", or even Connolly saying "There's more Americans on this team".

It actually boils down to Max being an unreliable piece of crap. Next year he will be terrible again.

This is so far from a race issue its funny.Anyone can see that what he meant had more to do with being able to relate to team mates of his own culture.I certainly did'nt hear him say anything about the 5 or 6 other cultures playing on that team.He simply stated that there are more Russians.Had he said there are more swedes on the team would it still be considered racist?

The quote about the system being different is a pretty obvious one, but it's also worth mentioning that maybe the system in Buffalo stifles offensive creativity. Then again - they are first in their division, but they look far from the polished team that played that system to a tee before Christmas. Would PA like to add a comment?

Now if Max said (in his thick Russian accent) "there are more whitey's, crackers and honkey's on this team which helps", I think that could be considered racist. :doh:

The quote about the system being different is a pretty obvious one, but it's also worth mentioning that maybe the system in Buffalo stifles offensive creativity. Then again - they are first in their division, but they look far from the polished team that played that system to a tee before Christmas. Would PA like to add a comment?

I would have just ignored this altogether and figured most fans knew the truth. But since you posted on the system, I felt compelled to respond.

Yes, it is the system, point blank, pure and simple. I for one, am tired of hearing the excuses. Good players were not resigned or out right treated like the plague for being offensive minded. I don't give a flying you know what about peoples opinion of defensive hocky first. That thought is pure ######, it comes down to the STANLEY CUP! This coach, this GM have failed to date, and I see no reason as to why we should believe they are going to win it this year.

Its time to stop making excuses and pretending people, we have had 40 years of great hockey in this city, it is time to win it all, that means a different philosophy than defense first.

Hello,

The Kings had a better week this week, so we're breathing a little easier. A little.

There's a long way to go, and the house of cards could fold any day now. Is this team for real? We ask Yahoo hockey blogger Greg Wyshynski, who does his best to settle our fears once and for all. We talk at length with Greg about things like open ice hits, fighting, headshots, the Coyotes and Jewish broadcasters.

thanks!!

Goose Down

Hello,

The Kings had a better week this week, so we're breathing a little easier. A little.

There's a long way to go, and the house of cards could fold any day now. Is this team for real? We ask Yahoo hockey blogger Greg Wyshynski, who does his best to settle our fears once and for all. We talk at length with Greg about things like open ice hits, fighting, headshots, the Coyotes and Jewish broadcasters.

thanks!!

Goose Down

unsure.gif

It was obvious Afinigenov wasn't particularly suited to playing Lindy's defensive responsible system very well. Too often he didn't backcheck strongly, hoping to get a lead pass to lead a rush or just from sheer laziness. Funny Afinigenov is happier playing in an offensive system that causes that team to routinely miss the playoffs than playing in one that makes the playoffs...

It was obvious Afinigenov wasn't particularly suited to playing Lindy's defensive responsible system very well. Too often he didn't backcheck strongly, hoping to get a lead pass to lead a rush or just from sheer laziness. Funny Afinigenov is happier playing in an offensive system that causes that team to routinely miss the playoffs than playing in one that makes the playoffs...

If my math is correct, Max watched more playoffs than he played in with Buffalo.

I can't wait until Vanek leaves and we'll hear how there is an Austrian bias against Lindy. When Ruff hits his 20 year anniversary we'll be hearing "no high scoring Austrians will ever play for Lindy Ruff."

TBH though, that "system" has only made the playoffs three times since 2001.

I would classify that as "routinely missing the playoffs", and while not as bad as the Thrashers, it's still nothing to write home about.

Just sayin'...

Hello,

thanks!!

Goose Down

Cool man tell Greg I said "What's up". Ask him if he remembers that time when we were in Altoona with the plastic bags, the vaseline and the candle wax.

Hello,

thanks!!

Goose Down

I didn't know they still had a team. Cool. Rock on, LA.

TBH though, that "system" has only made the playoffs three times since 2001.

Wait, do you actually think they've been playing the same system since 2001? Lindy, if nothing else, adapts his system (for the most part) to who he has and where the league is going. It seems like this year he looked at his talent and the failure of the run and gun the last 2 years and decided to go defence-first. You can't say it hasn't really worked out, based on the standings.

Would you be happier working somewhere that you enjoyed your job every day or somewhere the company was successful against its competition but you weren't happy with your job? There is something to be said for being happy at work...

Archived