Max comments on Buffalo

Two or less

Wait, do you actually think they've been playing the same system since 2001? Lindy, if nothing else, adapts his system (for the most part) to who he has and where the league is going. It seems like this year he looked at his talent and the failure of the run and gun the last 2 years and decided to go defence-first. You can't say it hasn't really worked out, based on the standings.

I think that's really oversimplified. "System" is a lot of BS. All the talk early in the season was that the Sabres were playing a puck possession system. The Sabres? Puck possession? This might be the worst passing team in the league, worse than the Bills even.

Wait, do you actually think they've been playing the same system since 2001? Lindy, if nothing else, adapts his system (for the most part) to who he has and where the league is going. It seems like this year he looked at his talent and the failure of the run and gun the last 2 years and decided to go defence-first. You can't say it hasn't really worked out, based on the standings.

But they didn't play run and gun last year.

Lindy himself stated they were focusing on a tight defense-first style of play by the start of last season.

Lindy has traditionally favored the defense-first system since he first took over, except the first three seasons after the lockout.

With that in mind, I think it's resonable to say the current "system" isn't too different from the "systems" of years gone by, except the three run and gun years. So yes, I don't belive it's working out very well, cause it appears Lindy's "systems" require the league's top goaltender in order to succeed.

With that in mind, I think it's resonable to say the current "system" isn't too different from the "systems" of years gone by, except the three run and gun years. So yes, I don't belive it's working out very well, cause it appears Lindy's "systems" require the league's top goaltender in order to succeed.

That system did seem to work out reasonably well for the Devils in the 90s. :)

That system did seem to work out reasonably well for the Devils in the 90s. :)

That's because the Devils had a "system".

Boring as it may have been, they had the trap worked to perfection.

What the trap didn't kill, Brodeur was there to handle.

All the current Sabres have are a fabled "system", who nobody really seems to know what involves, except it seems based on 5 guys dropping down beow the circles, and not much physical contact.

Other than that, I call the Sabres system "#30".

The Sabres are supposed to be playing a tight defense, yet on most nights I see Miller taking away one quality scoring chance after another.

That's not the trademark of a defensive system that's working.

All the current Sabres have are a fabled "system", who nobody really seems to know what involves, except it seems based on 5 guys dropping down beow the circles, and not much physical contact.

The Sabres are supposed to be playing a tight defense, yet on most nights I see Miller taking away one quality scoring chance after another.

Right on the money! :thumbsup:

Hahhaha. :worthy:

Well for what its worth it has appeared to be working pretty well!

Yes it has, cause it appears to be based on the goaltender, and Miller's been good all year.

Replace Miller with Lalime, then see how the system's working.

Replace Brodeur with Clemmensen, and the Devils still racked up wins.

Now, I'm not blind to the fact that Clemmensen probably played above himself during that stretch, but he played in a system which allowed him to win.

Archived