Kelley on Ruff's future

Two or less

If he wants to become a GM we should make it happen...........Letting Lindy go will be really bad news for the Sabres........ :beer:

I'll take Lindy as GM over Darcy any day of the week. Atleast we know we would be getting defensively minded players. :thumbsup:

On the downside though, who would replace Ruff? My choice would be James Patrick and bring Dineen up as an assistant coach.

I agree with PA in that Kelley is blowing smoke. With that being said, if we lose in the first round then Ruff might be in trouble. I am a fan of Ruff, but he certainly has his flaws. Here's my issue with all the Ruff haters...can Buffalo really get a good coach in here to take the job? IMO, there's no way. What's the incentive? Instead, we'll end up with some rookie coach, has-been, etc and we'll suffer because of it.

Great hockey town known the world over. Home of lots of prominent people in the game. If OSP puts up the money, I don't see why a "good coach" wouldn't come here. Oh yeah, Lindy was a rookie coach and had the Sabres in the finals in his second season. Dan Bylsma, etc.

I didn't get wood, I got Randy WooooOOOOOOOODDDD!!!

easy to forget he gave us the dominator.

remember when he tried out "the general!" for hannan? and didn't he give us "euro train in the station" complete with clanging train sounds when khymelev and mogilny connected?

Offensive defensemen, especially young ones, often struggle in their own end. While his creating scoring chances as both ends of the ice can be troubling/frustrating/(your favorite verb here), he is far better at this stage of his career in his own end than either Housley or Campbell.

QFT.

Kelley ... I find him to be a useless blowhard.

dom should've finished the job.

maybe it's because rigas didn't give him the tools (to finish the job) which were promised during that sun-splashed rally following "no goal"?

huge bonus points to anyone who can remember what dom said when he got to the podium in front of city hall in june 1999.

huge bonus points to anyone who can remember what dom said when he got to the podium in front of city hall in june 1999.

"Next year we will win 16 games, in playoffs I mean." I remember that for some reason.

You talking about his slogan for 1999-2000?

Might be an exception, but has Myers improved that much from the first 15-20 games? I'm horrified by his defensive turnovers in recent games. If he wasn't still in his Honeymoon period with the fans, there'd be a lot of criticism.

I am 100% for the first amendment. Think free speech is a fundamental right. But if the government began enforcing a ban on criticism of Tyler Myers, I might just support it. :unsure:

I know that makes me look bad, but I do not care

Wow!

Lindy is already hedging against an early exit. Looks like he doesn't have much confidence in his crew.

Make no mistake, Kelley is not speculating out of his butt. Kelley is dialed into Ruff as he has covered him for almost 30 years. If Kelley needs a quote or to fill an interesting story....Ruff is there for him. He would not make up some BS and upset Ruff.

Ruff was like a kid in the candy store during the olympics. He smiled more in 20 minutes than he has in 5 years. When you go and represent your roots, and have guys like Iginla, Morrow, Pronger, Niedermeyer, etc. on your side....then you come back to Connolly, Roy, Vanek leading your team....you tend to do some soulsearching. Ruff knows the deal here......he may actually jive with Darcy but he tolerates Quinn at best. He isn't getting any younger....his kids are now almost all grown....if the Sabres spit the bit, which is quite likely...it may be time to move on.

I am sure Lindy would be very interested in the Florida team if the chance came up. And if his name is out there as available, you could see Edmonton think long and hard about doing something.

Kelley is planting the seed folks. Either Ruff is going to hold the Sabres feet to the fire for a meaty extension, or he is going to move on. It doesn't sound good for year end results however.

Offensive defensemen, especially young ones, often struggle in their own end. While his creating scoring chances as both ends of the ice can be troubling/frustrating/(your favorite verb here), he is far better at this stage of his career in his own end than either Housley or Campbell.

This is good to hear from Myers...

"I didn't really want to change any part of my game," Myers said. "You always want to be good in your own end. Defense-first has always been my thought process. ... I'm just finding the right opportunities to jump into the play. I've gotten some of those and they've been giving me the green light to go."

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/04/01/1006490/sabres-notebook-myers-game-takes.html

I am 100% for the first amendment. Think free speech is a fundamental right. But if the government began enforcing a ban on criticism of Tyler Myers, I might just support it. :unsure:

I know that makes me look bad, but I do not care

Yes!

I don't think that there is much fear of that w/ this coaching staff. ;)

Because the Sabres are so good in their own end? The Sabres allow over 30 shots a game and plenty of quality scoring chances on a nightly basis. This team is horrible when it comes to fundamentals. They don't hit, block shots and on most nights it looks as if they don't practice with pucks their passing is so bad. Ruff consistently dresses Rivet, who is playing at a sub-NHL level, over much more qualified defenseman in Butler and Sekera.

It will be interesting to see if the same problems start to hit Myers as they have with all the young defenseman under Ruff. There is certainly enough of a track record to start to wonder if it is the players or if it is Ruff.

This is the main problem with Roy's game and exactly the reason why I would say he has NOT improved as a player.

His flopping all over the ice is way down. I would attribute that to the departure of King Fish Briere more than I do coaching.

Is there any more indictment of Ruff than having to continuously call out his "core" or "top six?" These are guys who have been together a long time under Lindy Ruff and they are today as inconsistent as rookies.

His flopping all over the ice is way down. I would attribute that to the departure of King Fish Briere more than I do coaching.

Is there any more indictment of Ruff than having to continuously call out his "core" or "top six?" These are guys who have been together a long time under Lindy Ruff and they are today as inconsistent as rookies.

And thus, the chicken and the egg conundrum. Is this the fault of Ruff...or 'the core'? My personal thought is 'the core'.

And thus, the chicken and the egg conundrum. Is this the fault of Ruff...or 'the core'? My personal thought is 'the core'.

Does it make sense that the Sabres to think that a group of players could be inconsistent as the Sabres are and not have it be the coach? If it were just one or two players than maybe. All of them though? That has to go to coaching.

Wow!

Lindy is already hedging against an early exit. Looks like he doesn't have much confidence in his crew.

Make no mistake, Kelley is not speculating out of his butt. Kelley is dialed into Ruff as he has covered him for almost 30 years. If Kelley needs a quote or to fill an interesting story....Ruff is there for him. He would not make up some BS and upset Ruff.

Ruff was like a kid in the candy store during the olympics. He smiled more in 20 minutes than he has in 5 years. When you go and represent your roots, and have guys like Iginla, Morrow, Pronger, Niedermeyer, etc. on your side....then you come back to Connolly, Roy, Vanek leading your team....you tend to do some soulsearching. Ruff knows the deal here......he may actually jive with Darcy but he tolerates Quinn at best. He isn't getting any younger....his kids are now almost all grown....if the Sabres spit the bit, which is quite likely...it may be time to move on.

I am sure Lindy would be very interested in the Florida team if the chance came up. And if his name is out there as available, you could see Edmonton think long and hard about doing something.

Kelley is planting the seed folks. Either Ruff is going to hold the Sabres feet to the fire for a meaty extension, or he is going to move on. It doesn't sound good for year end results however.

This is a paranoid fantasy, but it is reasonably well-constructed. You've successfully made me a bit concerned.

Because the Sabres are so good in their own end? The Sabres allow over 30 shots a game and plenty of quality scoring chances on a nightly basis. This team is horrible when it comes to fundamentals. They don't hit, block shots and on most nights it looks as if they don't practice with pucks their passing is so bad. Ruff consistently dresses Rivet, who is playing at a sub-NHL level, over much more qualified defenseman in Butler and Sekera.

It will be interesting to see if the same problems start to hit Myers as they have with all the young defenseman under Ruff. There is certainly enough of a track record to start to wonder if it is the players or if it is Ruff.

You mean like Soupy, who progressed from not being able to get the puck out of the defensive zone without a train wreck into a $50MM player? Or McKee, who was born and raised in the Sabres' system and became the NHL shotblocking leader and also got rich in free agency, even though he is really slow and became a UFA post-lockout?

+1.

Does it make sense that the Sabres to think that a group of players could be inconsistent as the Sabres are and not have it be the coach? If it were just one or two players than maybe. All of them though? That has to go to coaching.

Who says it's all of them? We've identified a handful of forwards who are inconsistent.

It seems like your hysteria meter is back in the red -- another good reason to hope for a long playoff run.

This is a paranoid fantasy, but it is reasonably well-constructed. You've successfully made me a bit concerned.

You mean like Soupy, who progressed from not being able to get the puck out of the defensive zone without a train wreck into a $50MM player? Or McKee, who was born and raised in the Sabres' system and became the NHL shotblocking leader and also got rich in free agency, even though he is really slow and became a UFA post-lockout?

+1.

Who says it's all of them? We've identified a handful of forwards who are inconsistent.

It seems like your hysteria meter is back in the red -- another good reason to hope for a long playoff run.

I'm not a big Campbell fan. He has his offensive game which he came to the organization with. I never saw anything in his defensive game that seemed to improve under Ruff's coaching. McKee was a really good defenseman for this team up until Mario knocked him out. He turnout to be a solid veteran type. I'll give you Campbell and McKee. So that's 2 out of how many defensive prospects over the last 12 years?

Only a handful of forwards? How many do you consider a handful? 4 or 5? That a huge chunk of the roster? That's pretty much the entore "top six" or "core."

• 3 weeks later...

Wow!

bump

This has been sticking in my craw ever since the Olympics. I have never seen him that happy, EVER, behind the Buffalo bench. Then he held Ryan's ear in the line after while he was all smiles. What could he possibly have been saying that Ryan wanted to hear at that time. I don't know why but that image really pi$$ed me off. Not that a coach was happy that they won the gold, but that I have never seen him look like that as a Sabre.

what do you guys really expect him to say or do? He has to work with what Darcy gives him.

Its now bad for him to be smiling during the olympics being part of the coaching staff of the favorites? He had less responsibility as an assistant on the All Star Canadian squad. I'm sure part of his smiles in the line was knowing that the other guy that did everything he could to stop him and being named MVP of the series is part of his Day to Day employment and may have been happy that he is going to finally be recognised as an amazing player.

Whats everyone option as Ruffs replacement that is going to be any better with wat Lindy has? Changes have to start at the top above him. If a new GM comes in and makes changes and the results end up the same, then thats the time you make a coaching change. This team isn't getting outcoached, its getting out played on the ice with too many guys coasting and not living up to potential.

what do you guys really expect him to say or do? He has to work with what Darcy gives him.

Its now bad for him to be smiling during the olympics being part of the coaching staff of the favorites? He had less responsibility as an assistant on the All Star Canadian squad. I'm sure part of his smiles in the line was knowing that the other guy that did everything he could to stop him and being named MVP of the series is part of his Day to Day employment and may have been happy that he is going to finally be recognised as an amazing player.

Whats everyone option as Ruffs replacement that is going to be any better with wat Lindy has? Changes have to start at the top above him. If a new GM comes in and makes changes and the results end up the same, then thats the time you make a coaching change. This team isn't getting outcoached, its getting out played on the ice with too many guys coasting and not living up to potential.

That's is exactly what I said I wasn't mad at. I'm mad that in 12 years, I have never seen him look that happy as a Sabre.

Double :thumbsup:

That's is exactly what I said I wasn't mad at. I'm mad that in 12 years, I have never seen him look that happy as a Sabre.

There was that goal Ray scored in 98 (?) in the playoffs...

Seriously, the guy just won the Olympic hockey tournament and you're mad that he smiled more than you've ever seen before? Really? Maybe when Buffalo wins a cup you'll see Lindy smile.

There was that goal Ray scored in 98 (?) in the playoffs...

Seriously, the guy just won the Olympic hockey tournament and you're mad that he smiled more than you've ever seen before? Really? Maybe when Buffalo wins a cup you'll see Lindy smile.

If he's had nothing to smile that much about in 12 years then it's time to move along.

Archived