Kelley on Ruff's future

Two or less

Ruff road ahead?

Interesting scenario in Buffalo where head coach Lindy Ruff is believed to be playing out the last year of his contract. If the Sabres, locked into a playoff slot and still able to finish as high as second in the Eastern Conference, go out in the first round, Ruff might take a fair share of the heat. At the same time, the NHL's longest-serving coach to one team might be willing to try his talents elsewhere. Buffalo has long been a franchise that does just enough to sell hope to a fan base that hasn't seen a Stanley Cup since the team's inception some 40 years ago.

Buffalo is said to have an option for next season, but if Ruff really wants to go, it will be difficult to hold him to it. Whichever way it plays out, he isn't likely to be worried. He's a career coach with a stellar reputation in the NHL and he just added a gold medal to his legacy as an assistant on Canada's Olympic hockey team. Coaching likely is still in his future, but a team that might someday open the door to the general manager's office may well attract his eye, be it in Buffalo or elsewhere.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/jim_kelley/04/01/sedin.lightning.burns/index.html#ixzz0jxj6hg7S

Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

Interesting. I couldn't imagine this team without Ruff as head coach. I know a few people here are down on him, but, i think he's a great coach.

Interesting. I couldn't imagine this team without Ruff as head coach. I know a few people here are down on him, but, i think he's a great coach.

I thought the same thing. I was reading the little preview of the column and the Ruff out of Buffalo blurb caught my eye. I think the last few games are a good example of Lindy as a good coach. They plug in three guys who had very little NHL experience and the train keeps rolling on and some can say they are playing better. His system works. Sure it isnt the most flashy or produces the high scorers but it gets results. I would hate to see the day that the front office would let him walk.

Speaking in terms if this did happen, you would think the 3 most logical choices to replace him would be Kevin Dineen, James Patrick or Jim Schoenfeld.

If Ruff or the team thinks he should be somewhere else, I'll wish him the best. I would like it if he stayed a Sabre, though. That said, the show must go on.

I thought the same thing. I was reading the little preview of the column and the Ruff out of Buffalo blurb caught my eye. I think the last few games are a good example of Lindy as a good coach. They plug in three guys who had very little NHL experience and the train keeps rolling on and some can say they are playing better. His system works. Sure it isnt the most flashy or produces the high scorers but it gets results. I would hate to see the day that the front office would let him walk.

Is it the system or is it the players? Mancari, not so much, but the other two are the soon to be back-to-back AHL rookies of the year. That's some serious talent.

Is it the system or is it the players? Mancari, not so much, but the other two are the soon to be back-to-back AHL rookies of the year. That's some serious talent.

And, sure as ######, these kids come up, impress in early games and then start the inevitable decline as soon as Ruff gets his grimy paws on them.

I didn't get wood, I got Randy WooooOOOOOOOODDDD!!!

And now after actually reading it, there is shrinkage. It's just more of Kelley's paranoid ramblings. What is there about sports journalism that allows such rubbish to be printed?

Note the passive voice: "Interesting scenario in Buffalo where head coach Lindy Ruff is believed to be playing out the last year of his contract."

Is believed? Who believes it? And why? Who are his sources? If unnamed, tell us why they won't go on the record. Give us a clue as to who the source is so we can evaluate the credibility.

When Kelley does not write, "a member of Buffalo's front office who wishes to remain anonymous because he says the situation is so sensitive, tells me Ruff and ownership have had discussions about getting out of his contract," it makes me suspect he is making stuff up.

Like Tyler Myers has?

Might be an exception, but has Myers improved that much from the first 15-20 games? I'm horrified by his defensive turnovers in recent games. If he wasn't still in his Honeymoon period with the fans, there'd be a lot of criticism.

Might be an exception, but has Myers improved that much from the first 15-20 games? I'm horrified by his defensive turnovers in recent games. If he wasn't still in his Honeymoon period with the fans, there'd be a lot of criticism.

Myers has been better with the puck on his stick than anyone could have imagined whether it be his rookie year or 5th year in the league. Instead of being awkward on skates, he is smooth as can be. His ability to lug the puck out of his own zone has also been very good.

That being said, IMO, since early in the season, Myers play in his own zone without the puck and his giveaways are worrisome and with the playoffs around the corner it becomes even a bigger concern, considering he is the best we have on the blueline by a country mile.

And, sure as ######, these kids come up, impress in early games and then start the inevitable decline as soon as Ruff gets his grimy paws on them.

I didn't get wood, I got Randy WooooOOOOOOOODDDD!!!

He sure made Derek Roy a way better hockey player, I like how you give Lindy no credit and are willing to think that anyone else would automatically be better then him. Of course getting a retard to coach the Sabres would give you even more things to bitch about and that is pretty much what makes you happy.

That being said, IMO, since early in the season, Myers play in his own zone without the puck and his giveaways are worrisome and with the playoffs around the corner it becomes even a bigger concern, considering he is the best we have on the blueline by a country mile.

This comment will probably fuel PA's fire, but your description above seems pretty accurate for just about all of our defensemen (the giveaways part, not the "best we have on the blueline" part).

If he wants to become a GM we should make it happen...........Letting Lindy go will be really bad news for the Sabres........ :beer:

What qualifies him to become the Sabres GM? Is it because he had led the Sabres to early tee times 5 out of 7 years? Playing favorites with his soft top 6 while others get sent to the press box? He is GM for his kids peewee team in the summer? Something else?

Help me out here?

This comment will probably fuel PA's fire, but your description above seems pretty accurate for just about all of our defensemen (the giveaways part, not the "best we have on the blueline" part).

I know these stats are not gospel, but it's not even close...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20102BUFDADAll&sort=giveaways&viewName=rtssPlayerStats

What qualifies him to become the Sabres GM? Is it because he had led the Sabres to early tee times 5 out of 7 years? Playing favorites with his soft top 6 while others get sent to the press box? He is GM for his kids peewee team in the summer? Something else?

Help me out here?

Former Sabre, tough-nosed lunch bucket player. Now a made Buffalo boy. Several nice runs in the playoffs in 12 years. That seems to be enough to make him coach for life here.

He sure made Derek Roy a way better hockey player, I like how you give Lindy no credit and are willing to think that anyone else would automatically be better then him. Of course getting a retard to coach the Sabres would give you even more things to bitch about and that is pretty much what makes you happy.

Did you send your resume in yet? :thumbsup:

I agree with PA in that Kelley is blowing smoke. With that being said, if we lose in the first round then Ruff might be in trouble. I am a fan of Ruff, but he certainly has his flaws. Here's my issue with all the Ruff haters...can Buffalo really get a good coach in here to take the job? IMO, there's no way. What's the incentive? Instead, we'll end up with some rookie coach, has-been, etc and we'll suffer because of it.

Bull ######. All last summer we heard about Roy and Ruff and their heart to heart talks. Once the season started, Roy was no better player than he has been in the past.

I think Roy is a much better player over all then he was a few years ago, he was almost Afinogenov like when he first started with the Sabres. He is a much more effective player overall for the Sabres.

If you break down those numbers to giveaway per minute of icetime, you'd be shocked to see how similar the numbers are. Yeah, Myers is still a bit higher, but not much. But then again, like you said, who knows what these stats really mean. What exactly counts as a turnover vs. a legit change of possession?

Myers has been better with the puck on his stick than anyone could have imagined whether it be his rookie year or 5th year in the league. Instead of being awkward on skates, he is smooth as can be. His ability to lug the puck out of his own zone has also been very good.

Offensive defensemen, especially young ones, often struggle in their own end. While his creating scoring chances as both ends of the ice can be troubling/frustrating/(your favorite verb here), he is far better at this stage of his career in his own end than either Housley or Campbell.

..he is far better at this stage of his career in his own end than either Housley or Campbell.

I agree. I just hope the coaches don't let him lose sight of the basics in his own end. If he develops to many bad habits over his first couple of years in terms of defensive zone play, they may be hard to break as he gets more established.

I agree. I just hope the coaches don't let him lose sight of the basics in his own end. If he develops to many bad habits over his first couple of years in terms of defensive zone play, they may be hard to break as he gets more established.

I don't think that there is much fear of that w/ this coaching staff. ;)

And now after actually reading it, there is shrinkage. It's just more of Kelley's paranoid ramblings. What is there about sports journalism that allows such rubbish to be printed?

Note the passive voice: "Interesting scenario in Buffalo where head coach Lindy Ruff is believed to be playing out the last year of his contract."

Is believed? Who believes it? And why? Who are his sources? If unnamed, tell us why they won't go on the record. Give us a clue as to who the source is so we can evaluate the credibility.

When Kelley does not write, "a member of Buffalo's front office who wishes to remain anonymous because he says the situation is so sensitive, tells me Ruff and ownership have had discussions about getting out of his contract," it makes me suspect he is making stuff up.

+1. This is much ado about a stream-of-consciousness speculation. I know many here like Kelley, but I find him to be a useless blowhard. I almost never see anything of any value in his columns.

I agree with PA in that Kelley is blowing smoke. With that being said, if we lose in the first round then Ruff might be in trouble. I am a fan of Ruff, but he certainly has his flaws. Here's my issue with all the Ruff haters...can Buffalo really get a good coach in here to take the job? IMO, there's no way. What's the incentive? Instead, we'll end up with some rookie coach, has-been, etc and we'll suffer because of it.

Good post.

I think Roy is a much better player over all then he was a few years ago, he was almost Afinogenov like when he first started with the Sabres. He is a much more effective player overall for the Sabres.

I've criticized Roy plenty, but I also think his game has improved over the years. Like too many of the Sabres, he's a good player who understands the game. He's just too inconsistent.

Archived