Phoenix Coyotes close to moving to Winnipeg

darksabre

I'm not sure where the hate NHLSourceSay comes from. I can't recall them having stated anything incorrect lately.

It's not a hate torwards NHLSourceSay, if people want to get gossip from eklund or NHLSourceSay it's fine with me, but i just don't think i'd post it as a source is all. They have a worse track record then Eklund when it comes to rumors.

On deadline day he said - "Sabres looking at Spacek,Gilbert, and Wisniewski."

Also on deadline say, he kept saying Mueller to Atlanta. At one point, he even said he's almost certain Mueller to Atlanta. 6 MINUTES later, TSN announced Mueller to Phoenix.

On the day Kovalchuk was dealt, he kept naming off like 4 teams where he may go. He posted Kevin Allen's tweet saying EC team, then shortly after, he said he's heard "Montreal" is the team. 10 MINUTES later, Kevin Allen tells the world NJ got him.

And he quotes Eklund from time to time, like "retweet" from eklund. C'mon. The guy is a scam. Like i said, i have NO problem people buying into these sites as they make it fun but to say Coyotes are close to moving to Winnipec, based on their report, is just hilarious.

It's not a hate torwards NHLSourceSay, if people want to get gossip from eklund or NHLSourceSay it's fine with me, but i just don't think i'd post it as a source is all. They have a worse track record then Eklund when it comes to rumors.

On deadline day he said - "Sabres looking at Spacek,Gilbert, and Wisniewski."

Also on deadline say, he kept saying Mueller to Atlanta. At one point, he even said he's almost certain Mueller to Atlanta. 6 MINUTES later, TSN announced Mueller to Phoenix.

On the day Kovalchuk was dealt, he kept naming off like 4 teams where he may go. He posted Kevin Allen's tweet saying EC team, then shortly after, he said he's heard "Montreal" is the team. 10 MINUTES later, Kevin Allen tells the world NJ got him.

And he quotes Eklund from time to time, like "retweet" from eklund. C'mon. The guy is a scam. Like i said, i have NO problem people buying into these sites as they make it fun but to say Coyotes are close to moving to Winnipec, based on their report, is just hilarious.

Who's to say we weren't looking at those players? Just because nothing happened doesn't mean he was wrong.

And Mueller went to the Avalanche :blink: SourcesSay did mention he might have been going to Atlanta but never claimed it held any certainty. I don't see a problem there.

And I can't say I've ever seen him retweet Eklund. At least in the time that I've been following him. If he did with any certainty I would undoubtedly stop following him. God knows I hate Eklund.

So he posts a rumor that Phoenix is close to going to Winnipeg. It's not like he's proclaiming it is a definite. And it's not like it's an Eklund rumor. I would say the significant lack of BS that SourcesSay posts makes it a relatively reliable source. He may not be right all the time, but he's not wrong all of the time either. What more would you like?

This thread is a waste of bytes. The Coyotes aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

I tend to agree with you. Gary Bettman seems VERY committed to Phoenix. When he's committed, he's not exactly a "change his mind" kind of guy. I have heard Bettman talk MUCH more about the possibility of putting a team in Quebec City as opposed to putting a team in Winnipeg. I actually agree with him on this - unlike his position on Hull's skate in 1999. ;-)

Does this guy actually attach a real name to his "rumors"? To me, 9 times out of 10, that is the most telling thing when it comes to (a lack of) reliability.

He's no Darren Dreger but they're usually on the same page. Naturally Dreger is more reliable.

Who's to say we weren't looking at those players? Just because nothing happened doesn't mean he was wrong.

And Mueller went to the Avalanche :blink: SourcesSay did mention he might have been going to Atlanta but never claimed it held any certainty. I don't see a problem there.

Oh come on, now you're just protecting the guy. How could he possibibly say Mueller to ATL could go down but not 100% yet... and 5 minutes later he went to Phoenix. How much could change in 5 minutes? Trade papers are in to the league about 30 or so minutes prior to a trade getting leaked out. This and Kovy deals, just proved he just throws stuff at the wall hoping something sticks. Atlanta and Montreal were dead for hours prior to those two getting moved and he still listed them as possible deals. Sure, he didn't say it was certain, but c'mon.... 5 and 10 min prior to 2 big trades he has them going more then likely somewhere else.... sounds fishy to me.

And I can't say I've ever seen him retweet Eklund. At least in the time that I've been following him. If he did with any certainty I would undoubtedly stop following him. God knows I hate Eklund.

Look at Feb 6th. He re-tweets one message and then ASKS Eklund a question about INSIDER info. LOL

So he posts a rumor that Phoenix is close to going to Winnipeg. It's not like he's proclaiming it is a definite. And it's not like it's an Eklund rumor. I would say the significant lack of BS that SourcesSay posts makes it a relatively reliable source. He may not be right all the time, but he's not wrong all of the time either. What more would you like?

True. But, he seemed to post he had insider info on the dealings, which he doesn't. Thus, its not even a rumor, it's just speculation. He can speculate all he wants.

ame='d4rksabre' date='08 March 2010 - 02:37 PM' timestamp='1268077041' post='194642']

True. But, he seemed to post he had insider info on the dealings, which he doesn't. Thus, its not even a rumor, it's just speculation. He can speculate all he wants.

First off, learn how to quote things properly. Second, Mueller went to the Avs. Do I have to say it again?

Third, really? You're nitpicking back to a post on February 6th that was pure speculation? Heck, in the post he says he has something different than Ek did. What's your point?

Also, if you want to throw back that far, he had Kovalchuk to the Devils before Dreger or anyone else did. Dreger gave mad props to Kevin Allen of USA today for "breaking the Kovalchuk deal" even though SourcesSay had the deal and the terms sooner than Allen did.

NHLSourcesSay: Done Deal; Kovalchuk traded to the Devils. 4:23 PM Feb 4th via web

kausatoday: Ilya Kovalchuk is being traded to the New Jersey Devils. Details coming shortly. 4:26 PM Feb 4th via web

NHLSourcesSay: My sources are almost certain Bergfors, Oduya, 1st, and a prospect are going to the Thrashers for Kovalchuk. 4:48 PM Feb 4th via web

kausatoday: Atlanta Thrashers receive Oduya, Bergfors, Patrice Cormier and a 1st-round pick for Kovalchuk 5:10 PM Feb 4th via web

I'd say SourcesSay is just about as reliable as anyone else. His information might not always be as complete because he jumps the gun a lot, but he's no less in the know than most from what I've seen. I'd say that's reliable enough for some silly internet forum discussion.

First off, learn how to quote things properly. Second, Mueller went to the Avs. Do I have to say it again?

Simple mistake, relax kid.

Third, really? You're nitpicking back to a post on February 6th that was pure speculation? Heck, in the post he says he has something different than Ek did. What's your point?

Also, if you want to throw back that far, he had Kovalchuk to the Devils before Dreger or anyone else did. Dreger gave mad props to Kevin Allen of USA today for "breaking the Kovalchuk deal" even though SourcesSay had the deal and the terms sooner than Allen did.

NHLSourcesSay: Done Deal; Kovalchuk traded to the Devils. 4:23 PM Feb 4th via web

kausatoday: Ilya Kovalchuk is being traded to the New Jersey Devils. Details coming shortly. 4:26 PM Feb 4th via web

NHLSourcesSay: My sources are almost certain Bergfors, Oduya, 1st, and a prospect are going to the Thrashers for Kovalchuk. 4:48 PM Feb 4th via web

kausatoday: Atlanta Thrashers receive Oduya, Bergfors, Patrice Cormier and a 1st-round pick for Kovalchuk 5:10 PM Feb 4th via web

I'd say SourcesSay is just about as reliable as anyone else. His information might not always be as complete because he jumps the gun a lot, but he's no less in the know than most from what I've seen. I'd say that's reliable enough for some silly internet forum discussion.

You can go to which ever site you want to, i never said don't, but, don't expect miracles with that site. They know just as much as if me and you started a rumor page..... which is absolutely nothing.

in 2008, phoenix averaged 14,000 per game. Well below a sellout. but if Winnipeg can only hold 15,000, they aren't better off going there.

Say the average ticket price is $50.00 over 41 games that's 28.7 million in ticket sales if the game is in Phoenix at their average attendance...

If the game is in Winnipeg and it's a sellout: 30.75 million. But it's in Canadian coin. which translates to 29.5MM USD.

Add in concession and souvenir sales and jersey sales, etc (I couldn't find figures on this but i'd assume it's well over the .8 million difference).. it's well worth it to stay in Phoenix if Winnipeg is the only option.

Some of you are probably saying can't they just jack up the ticket price in Winnipeg? Probably they could, but Canada is feeling the recession just as much as we are and it's not like Winnipeg is a bigger market. Winnipeg and the surrounding area has a population of 1.2MM while in just the city (not counting any suburbs), Phoenix is 1.3 million.

While I love the idea of the Jets being back in the league it just doesn't make financial sense to me to put it back in Winnipeg where it's already failed.

How do you guys think a team in Seattle would do?

As a life long resident of Winnipeg I will say this. How many hockey rinks are there in Arizona? We have more rinks than the entire southern United states combined. How many people will play hockey tonight in Arizona? More people will play in Winnipeg tonight than all your southern states combined. How many times in Arizona do you drive by a house and see a hockey net in the drive way? I will see more in my neighboorhood than that entire state. My point? you could have 30 million people in that state and we will still sell more tickets to our team than they will be able to GIVE away. Hockey is just in our DNA. The current arena is also beign looked at for expansion and adding another 2000 seats.

As for merch and concession sales, we probablly still sell more Jets Jersey's than phoenix does coyotes.

It is not a matter of if they come home, it is a matter of when.

As a life long resident of Winnipeg I will say this. How many hockey rinks are there in Arizona? We have more rinks than the entire southern United states combined. How many people will play hockey tonight in Arizona? More people will play in Winnipeg tonight than all your southern states combined. How many times in Arizona do you drive by a house and see a hockey net in the drive way? I will see more in my neighboorhood than that entire state. My point? you could have 30 million people in that state and we will still sell more tickets to our team than they will be able to GIVE away. Hockey is just in our DNA. The current arena is also beign looked at for expansion and adding another 2000 seats.

As for merch and concession sales, we probablly still sell more Jets Jersey's than phoenix does coyotes.

I'm not trying to be snarky here, but maybe you might be able to coax Teppo Numminen out of retirement. That might be a boost to bring hockey back to Winnipeg as well.

All very true. Personally, I'd love to see the Coyotes/Jets back in Winnipeg.

I watched some of the Predators at Thrashers game today and it was disgusting to see maybe 5,000 people at the game in Atlanta, even though the Thrashers are fighting for a playoff spot. Phoenix is one of the better teams in hockey yet they average an NHL-worst 11,000 per game. Right now I'm watching Ottawa at Edmonton and the arena is packed as usual, even though Edmonton is the worst team in the west.

When will Bettman admit that the "southern push" just isn't working in certain markets and let some of these teams move to profitable locations?

Somehow, no matter how sentimental places like Winnipeg, Quebec and even Hartford are, I'm betting a team will end up somewhere in Ontario first. Supply and demand, plain and simple.

When will Bettman admit that the "southern push" just isn't working in certain markets and let some of these teams move to profitable locations?

I'm going to go out on a limb here. Hopefully I won't get hit by too many rotten tomatoes for what I'm about to say.

Bettman is a Big Apple guy. He practically has Wall Street in his backyard. He probably bought into the mentality that "if you build it, they will come" from Field of Dreams.

On top of that, prior to becoming commish, he was an NBA guy who worked closely with NBA commish David Stern. IIRC, the NBA had established franchises in many of those southern markets in which Bettman thought that the southern push could work. It may be an easy sell for Yankees and Canucks who wind up moving down there for some reason or another, but for people who treat football as a religion, hockey in general is probably something that never crosses their minds.

Here's a hypothetical situation: if those southern teams run into serious issues to where it is no longer possible to remain in those markets, then we have a really messy situation on our hands. Just how many possible northern markets will be able to absorb these teams? IMO, it's a disaster waiting to happen.

Archived