Phoenix Coyotes close to moving to Winnipeg

darksabre

Eklund junior wrong again. Bob McKenzie few days ago said on twitter the rumors about Coyotes going to Winnipec couldn't be more wrong. Honestly, i hate to say this with my football team on the ledge of dropping lol, but, for the best interest of the NHL i hope they do go back to Winnipec and Atlanta moves to Quebec or Hartford. But, no offense, but the source sucks.

The Coyotes have lost money every single year they've been in the Phoenix area. They have a heck of a time selling their luxury boxes, which shouldn't happen in such a big metro area. I'm all for them moving elsewhere. Personally, I'd love to see them back in a true hockey town like Winnipeg.

Eklund junior wrong again. Bob McKenzie few days ago said on twitter the rumors about Coyotes going to Winnipec couldn't be more wrong. Honestly, i hate to say this with my football team on the ledge of dropping lol, but, for the best interest of the NHL i hope they do go back to Winnipec and Atlanta moves to Quebec or Hartford. But, no offense, but the source sucks.

I'm not sure where the hate NHLSourceSay comes from. I can't recall them having stated anything incorrect lately.

A new arena that is'nt up to capacity is better than 5000 fans a night in phoenix.

Exactly. Selling out a 15,000 seat arena is much better. Plus it creates increased demand for a limited supply, which means they could always charge a little more for tickets to make up for the lack of seats. And Phoenix has a solid team right now, so people will go watch.

I thought the new Phoenix owners were going to play some games in Saskatchewan?

PTR

Yeah, they've been quoted as saying they plan to play some games in Saskatoon (against teams like Edmonton, Vancouver, and Calgary).

I dunno. Being in a non-traditional hockey market, the game is just a tough sell. In Nashville where I am (I have partial season tickets to the Preds), they have to market the ###### out of the team just to get people into the stands. There just aren't enough people who have a natural love of the sport around. Every night is fellowship night, military night, this night, that night... it's just a tough sell.

I support a move to a community that will actually support there team. What would this mean for the divisions of the west? The Coyotes would naturally go to the Northwest. I dont think it would make sense to move any team in the west into the pacific division. The only team that makes sense geographically is the Avs.

in 2008, phoenix averaged 14,000 per game. Well below a sellout. but if Winnipeg can only hold 15,000, they aren't better off going there.

Say the average ticket price is $50.00 over 41 games that's 28.7 million in ticket sales if the game is in Phoenix at their average attendance...

If the game is in Winnipeg and it's a sellout: 30.75 million. But it's in Canadian coin. which translates to 29.5MM USD.

Add in concession and souvenir sales and jersey sales, etc (I couldn't find figures on this but i'd assume it's well over the .8 million difference).. it's well worth it to stay in Phoenix if Winnipeg is the only option.

Some of you are probably saying can't they just jack up the ticket price in Winnipeg? Probably they could, but Canada is feeling the recession just as much as we are and it's not like Winnipeg is a bigger market. Winnipeg and the surrounding area has a population of 1.2MM while in just the city (not counting any suburbs), Phoenix is 1.3 million.

While I love the idea of the Jets being back in the league it just doesn't make financial sense to me to put it back in Winnipeg where it's already failed.

How do you guys think a team in Seattle would do?

This thread is a waste of bytes. The Coyotes aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Agreed. I do think a team would flourish in Seattle though, and Milwaukee should be a no brainer.

I thought the new Phoenix owners were going to play some games in Saskatchewan?

PTR

That was one of the groups that made an offer back during the whole bankrupcy hearing situation. The current owner of the Coyotes is the NHL and shipping games out of town is not something they would comment on.

Hank, I'm pretty sure Milwaukee is within Chicago's protected market. They would put up one ###### of a fight if anyone tried to move there. Wurtz already did for years. Now that he's dead, who knows, but I would expect more of the same.

Agreed. I do think a team would flourish in Seattle though, and Milwaukee should be a no brainer.

But I think the arena situation in Seattle is crappy enough that they just lost their NBA team, right? In any case I don't think the NHL wants any teams moving anywhere anytime soon.

That was one of the groups that made an offer back during the whole bankrupcy hearing situation. The current owner of the Coyotes is the NHL and shipping games out of town is not something they would comment on.

I think he's referring to Ice Edge Holdings, which is a group of businessmen that want to buy the Coyotes and keep them in Phoenix while moving some games to Saskatoon. Seems crazy to buy a team with $220 million in debt and 15 consecutive years of losing money, lowest avg. attendance in the league, lowest payroll, etc. ...but if they can fix this mess without moving the team, more power to 'em!

Link: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2009/12/11/20091211coyotes1211-ON.html

Archived