It's February, so Relax

Dave Dryden

Now you are doing some serious research. What was your horse's name? Where did she race. You've got to love the one's that try, even if they are not that good.

NFL is $20K this year-- not too bad. He is not a great nick with LIP. Outflanker I'll check on--he's very inexpensive.

Anytime I can find a horse fan, I'm excited. I've used comparisons on this board to hockey and very few understand where I am coming from.

I am all over the board with racing. I've been lucky enough to be on the management side, the operational, owner, breeder, bloodstock.....so I really didn't do too much research for me! That's why I got such a kick reading the appeal....I know how the commission and stewards think, and I know how a passionate owner thinks.

I've raced mainly in NY and FL. If you've ever seen silks like the throwback Bills logo and colors, that's me. I blew out of breeding with the bad economy in early '08. Unless you have something with a great pedigree....you just can't make any money in the auction ring. As you well know, it isn't a cheap order to even just feed a mama and baby. I'll be going down to Ocala over the next few months and partner up with a few people on some 2yo if they make sense.

To make this not a total tangent, I do have a Sabres connection. I purchased a horse out of a mare named Sabre Dance.....and the funniest thing about it was the 2nd dam of that one was named Bruyere. This was when Briere was still on the team. I figured it was a sign from god as I had no idea the name of the mare when I saw the horse workout and loved him. Poor guy had tendon issues and we couldn't get him rolling.

Anytime I can find a horse fan, I'm excited. I've used comparisons on this board to hockey and very few understand where I am coming from.

I am all over the board with racing. I've been lucky enough to be on the management side, the operational, owner, breeder, bloodstock.....so I really didn't do too much research for me! That's why I got such a kick reading the appeal....I know how the commission and stewards think, and I know how a passionate owner thinks.

I've raced mainly in NY and FL. If you've ever seen silks like the throwback Bills logo and colors, that's me. I blew out of breeding with the bad economy in early '08. Unless you have something with a great pedigree....you just can't make any money in the auction ring. As you well know, it isn't a cheap order to even just feed a mama and baby. I'll be going down to Ocala over the next few months and partner up with a few people on some 2yo if they make sense.

To make this not a total tangent, I do have a Sabres connection. I purchased a horse out of a mare named Sabre Dance.....and the funniest thing about it was the 2nd dam of that one was named Bruyere. This was when Briere was still on the team. I figured it was a sign from god as I had no idea the name of the mare when I saw the horse workout and loved him. Poor guy had tendon issues and we couldn't get him rolling.

I have seen your silks. There are folks in Tampa right now at the Downs using the classic Sabres logo. One of their horses won yesterday.

The appeal was fun. The Stewards were just wrong, but it's tough to fight City Hall. But it felt better just to fight. Good luck if you make new acquisitions.

:lol:

If we've learned anything from the NFL it's that people care more about dogs than people.

Interesting. What I learned was that some people don't care about animals OR people and hate those who do because it ruins their day to read about things that confront their apathy head-on.

If you just feel pain and remain hopeful of some playoff hockey come April then don't sweat the details of every game. Relax, it's February... DD

They play 3 more games this week - the next game after that won't be until March 2nd. By that time, there will only be 22 games remaining. It's definitely justified to be concerned now in the middle of February.

The Sabres have faced uncertainty when they went in to bankruptcy and fans remember. They carry the daily reminder that the Bills are on life support. As soon as Ralph kicks the bucket the moving vans will soon follow. Those are permanent parts of the Buffalo sports fans psyche. It may not be right there at the forefront but it is always somewhere in the back of the mind. Any "residue" from 05-07 has been washed away by the previous two seasons.

Good post.

They did make some adjustments with Grier, Montador, Myers and Kennedy. They got rid of Kotalik, Afinigenov, Spacek, Paille. More character and toughness. It was working fine until this week. Perhaps the first 52 games were an illusion, the last 4 the real Sabres. Maybe the last 4 is a just a slump. Likely the truth is in between. I just think you have to think things through, and not panic because of a horrible week. Changes in February are hard-- you can't change the basic who you are. Further substantial remolding needs to be done in the off-season. The team just needs to bounce back and get some confidence back. That is the best hope for 2010.

And another one.

It is also plain that letting Briere, Drury and Campbell go was the right move--even if it happened by accident. They are all vastly overpaid and unproductive. You would not take any of them on their present deals.

True, but I would probably take each at the alleged $5MM x 5 years that they were allegedly ready to sign for with the Sabres.

They play 3 more games this week - the next game after that won't be until March 2nd. By that time, there will only be 22 games remaining. It's definitely justified to be concerned now in the middle of February.

Of course. There is a big difference, however, between being concerned and choking on you own vomit during an anxiety attack. The team is in first place in NE, 3rd overall and 2 points out of second overall. If that stands at the break, if I would have offered that to you in September you would have jumped at it. I am not saying their current play is not a concern--although last night was a step in the right direction--but you need to keep perspective and not dribble down you leg during adversity...DD

• 3 weeks later...

Where was this post after the first two games this month? :D

The interesting thing is that after looking at the schedule, with a sustained stretch of just decent hockey, the rest of this month is relatively soft and could be run (well, except for that guaranteed loss against Ottawa). They have a decent chance of rebuilding that cushion in the division and maybe even the #2 seed. I wouldn't put any money on it, but I sure as ###### would welcome it if they did wake up.

Enough of the hyperventilating. It's a long season, and you'll drive yourself crazy if you microanalyze every game. Flew in from Washington yesterday to see the game, and the Sabres sucked. If what they showed last night is what they are, then like Jim Mora, "playoffs? Are you kidding me, playoffs?"

But the Thomas Malthus crowd, who wants to extrapolate every game into a trajectory into the toilet are comical. Does anyone think that in an 82 game season that this team would not have peaks and valleys? They are not good enough to simply dominate for 82 games. Ottawa lost 5-6 straight before its current 11 game streak, things come and go.

What happens in February stays in February. For example, the fact that the Capitals are now in a 2 month exhibition season, will that help them come April? Maybe they are so good it won't matter, but the money here says like with QBs, you got 3 goaltenders you don't have one.

On the Sabres, guess what--they will either collapse or pull themselves out of this funk. If Miller is already dead in February because he is 6th in games played amongst goaltenders, then he is no stud. You can't trade half the team after every loss--as many seem to think. You basically are who you are, for better or worse.

And if the team is really not very good after all, why trade for a Kovalchuk? Unless you are a piece away from a cup, then why through good assets after a rental player? The manic depressives make no sense.

Here's how this likely will turn out. Sabres, who have missed the playoffs the last two years, will make the playoffs with about 100 points. That will likely make them the 3, 4 or 5 seed. Then the real season begins. If they are one and done--well it's still better than last year and more holes can be filled in the off season. If they do better, that's better. It was unlikely, and still is that this year is a Cup year. But the next two seasons could be special with the right tweaks.

So stop the doom and gloom after every loss. If they truly stink as bad as many of you think,then you should do something else than post about this team in the middle of the night. If you just feel pain and remain hopeful of some playoff hockey come April then don't sweat the details of every game. Relax, it's February... DD

I would agree with you if this team actually DID SOMETHING in the off season to get better. We signed 1 middle tier player.

Saying there are better deals in the off season and then doing nothing about it gets old.

I would agree with you if this team actually DID SOMETHING in the off season to get better. We signed 1 middle tier player.

Saying there are better deals in the off season and then doing nothing about it gets old.

We're currently the 3 seed. Where were we last year at this point? 10? They must have done SOMETHING to get better, and they actually signed two middle tier players... Montador and Grier.

We're currently the 3 seed. Where were we last year at this point? 10? They must have done SOMETHING to get better, and they actually signed two middle tier players... Montador and Grier.

Well I guess that's what did it, forgot about Grier. ...and with those stats.

Gone from last year:

Spacek; had a great year but wanted too much money and way off his 08-09 pace of .56 PPG at .31 PPG with Mont.

MacArthur, later, he'll do well in Atlanta, but cloned here.

Paille, was doing better here than in Boston now, but that's not saying much (sorry Danny)

Max, well, Max.

Teppo, retired

Paetsch, later, man just wants to play

Peters, well, Peters.

Added for 09-10:

Myers, yup, Myers

Kennedy, ?

Grier, for vet leadership

Montador, so so

Butler, only played 47 games last year

Torres, late addition

Tallinder resurgence.

Miller going from 2.53 and .918 to 2.15 and .931 this year.

Archived