It's February, so Relax

Dave Dryden

Never mind the dog (although expect PETA after u butt!!) sad.gif

The flippant comment about the wife gets one on the domestic terror watchlist! OUCH!!!

Just kidding!

As far as our SC contending Sabres there appears to be something amiss and nobody's talking about it from the Sabres!

Methinks it's a chemistry imbalance propagated sometime around the duration of the West Coast trip.

Whatever it is, it's akin to an imbalance in your gut that may take a while to normalize. And the West Coast play was NOT all that bad either.and it could be the Olympic distraction - some are going others NOT - which is anathema to the system the Sabres have worked to success

using a squad of interchangeable parts!

Either way, they will need to come together after the Olympic distraction - and I think they will and they will continue what may be a

successful run for Lord Stanley!

GO BUFFALO SABRES!!!

It is either a big slump or the end of life as we know it.

Hardly. But you have to accept you have no control over any team you are a fan of. It is a vicarious experience-- you have nothing to do with whether they win or lose.

I own racehorses--on those I can decide what to do. I make the breeding decisions, decide where to race, who to ride. If it works, I did it, if it fails it is my fault. With a sports team, you have decided to go along for the ride, and have absolutely no control over the situation. You can be mad too--because they are not making you happy. But your anger does not give you more control over the situation, it is just anger.

Remember that fans can always vote with their feet, helping to effect change.

Well....your breeding decisions are pretty easy. Not For Love....I like Outflanker a bit....and if poor ol Two Punch can get it working now and then......

He's getting up there now(TP). You really need to match up the nick, to get the right cross... I used to just breed to the best stallion, like Allen's Prospect, but if not a good match for your mare, it usually does not work. I have a nice Housebuster mare I would like to breed, and Not for Love is a good cross to her. He produces some very nice foals--good looking and fast...

He's getting up there now(TP). You really need to match up the nick, to get the right cross... I used to just breed to the best stallion, like Allen's Prospect, but if not a good match for your mare, it usually does not work. I have a nice Housebuster mare I would like to breed, and Not for Love is a good cross to her. He produces some very nice foals--good looking and fast...

NFL + Housebuster mare = 7f Turf!

I like Allen's Prospect when it comes to betting. If I see him on the dam side in a baby race I take a good look.

Not in this town. Buffalo sports fans are to afraid of losing their professional sports teams. The Bills bank on that fear every season.

Not really true. Few people say I am going to plunk down $500 for a Sabres game so the team won't move. They go because they have fun. If the experience is not fun, people will not go. Sabres attendance was not good in 2002-2004 because the team sucked. Right now, the team is good enough to generate hope and fun, and there is a residue of goodwill from 2005-07. Markets do work. Organized boycotts, not so much.

NFL + Housebuster mare = 7f Turf!

I like Allen's Prospect when it comes to betting. If I see him on the dam side in a baby race I take a good look.

The mare, Little Ice Patch, loves the grass. We'll try and get her over $100K in earnings, and maybe we'll give NFL a try!

I agree, to an extent, with you, Dave.

Not about the whining or complaining per se, but about being realistic about what's happening. My main question is who do we think Darcy can trade for that will make a difference? And who will he be able to unload in that same deal? I totally agree with people who say this team is missing vital parts - leadership, toughness, and consistent scoring - but what are they expecting him to come up with? He made this bed when he signed our young players to long contracts. And I fear we're stuck with it.

Now, if he re-signs Stafford or MacArthur or Kennedy to bloated, long-term contracts, and makes the same mistakes again...that's when the pitchforks should come out.

Not really true. Few people say I am going to plunk down $500 for a Sabres game so the team won't move. They go because they have fun. If the experience is not fun, people will not go. Sabres attendance was not good in 2002-2004 because the team sucked. Right now, the team is good enough to generate hope and fun, and there is a residue of goodwill from 2005-07. Markets do work. Organized boycotts, not so much.

The Sabres have faced uncertainty when they went in to bankruptcy and fans remember. They carry the daily reminder that the Bills are on life support. As soon as Ralph kicks the bucket the moving vans will soon follow. Those are permanent parts of the Buffalo sports fans psyche. It may not be right there at the forefront but it is always somewhere in the back of the mind. Any "residue" from 05-07 has been washed away by the previous two seasons.

I agree, to an extent, with you, Dave.

Not about the whining or complaining per se, but about being realistic about what's happening. My main question is who do we think Darcy can trade for that will make a difference? And who will he be able to unload in that same deal? I totally agree with people who say this team is missing vital parts - leadership, toughness, and consistent scoring - but what are they expecting him to come up with? He made this bed when he signed our young players to long contracts. And I fear we're stuck with it.

Now, if he re-signs Stafford or MacArthur or Kennedy to bloated, long-term contracts, and makes the same mistakes again...that's when the pitchforks should come out.

They did make some adjustments with Grier, Montador, Myers and Kennedy. They got rid of Kotalik, Afinigenov, Spacek, Paille. More character and toughness. It was working fine until this week. Perhaps the first 52 games were an illusion, the last 4 the real Sabres. Maybe the last 4 is a just a slump. Likely the truth is in between. I just think you have to think things through, and not panic because of a horrible week. Changes in February are hard-- you can't change the basic who you are. Further substantial remolding needs to be done in the off-season. The team just needs to bounce back and get some confidence back. That is the best hope for 2010.

It isn't nice to abuse animals.

Unless you are a former Madden cover boy who can run but not throw the football that well. Then it's OK.

Remember that fans can always vote with their feet, helping to effect change.

I agree that is their right (and have always believed so) but haven't you taken shots at Buffalo fans for doing that during and following the bankruptcy years?

Not in this town. Buffalo sports fans are to afraid of losing their professional sports teams. The Bills bank on that fear every season.

Bingo. We see that post every few days over on the sister board. "Fine, don't buy tickets, and then you don't have to worry when the Bills move." Victim mentality.

The Sabres have faced uncertainty when they went in to bankruptcy and fans remember. They carry the daily reminder that the Bills are on life support. As soon as Ralph kicks the bucket the moving vans will soon follow. Those are permanent parts of the Buffalo sports fans psyche. It may not be right there at the forefront but it is always somewhere in the back of the mind. Any "residue" from 05-07 has been washed away by the previous two seasons.

Plainly not for most fans. Sellouts most every game.

It is also plain that letting Briere, Drury and Campbell go was the right move--even if it happened by accident. They are all vastly overpaid and unproductive. You would not take any of them on their present deals.

They did make some adjustments with Grier, Montador, Myers and Kennedy. They got rid of Kotalik, Afinigenov, Spacek, Paille. More character and toughness. It was working fine until this week. Perhaps the first 52 games were an illusion, the last 4 the real Sabres. Maybe the last 4 is a just a slump. Likely the truth is in between. I just think you have to think things through, and not panic because of a horrible week. Changes in February are hard-- you can't change the basic who you are. Further substantial remolding needs to be done in the off-season. The team just needs to bounce back and get some confidence back. That is the best hope for 2010.

That's a very reasonable assessment, even if people don't want to accept it. I believe a lot of people were psyched with how well the team started this year and wanted them to make a few tweaks to make a Cup run. Others have been down on them all season, saying they're overachieving and Miller's the only reason they're still winning as often as they are. As you said, the truth's somewhere in the middle. We'll have to wait till the end of the season, and look for the pieces that can help us get better.

Plainly not for most fans. Sellouts most every game.

It is also plain that letting Briere, Drury and Campbell go was the right move--even if it happened by accident. They are all vastly overpaid and unproductive. You would not take any of them on their present deals.

I was in favor of those moves.

Keep fighting the good fight Dave, don't let the vocal minority of crybabies and reactionists get you down

Agreed! Keep posting threads expressing your displeasure with the activities of others and they will stop! And please, ignore the irony of the situation while you're at it. Because we love the passive-aggression of it all. Just adore it. It makes you sexy.

The mare, Little Ice Patch, loves the grass. We'll try and get her over $100K in earnings, and maybe we'll give NFL a try!

I just went through the minutes of the appeal on the race you got hosed on. That made for some good reading! PB made some good points....because on video all I have is the head on from a distance after the race that shows anything. You were never going to get them to reverse that.......stewards are like customs agents on a power trip. You probably could have gotten some sympathy from the racing office and have them write you a race next out. What killed you on the objection is that your jock looked back. If he doesn't look back and it isn't Foglesonger.....you win.

She's a good looking mare. Not For Love is expensive....but you could have a good looking baby that could sell in the ring if you went that way. If you want to race and are looking for something with a lower budget....Outflanker is nice. He's by Danzig and he'll go with the Blushing Groom all day. They don't really sell. I had a sweet little Outflanker filly that tried her heart out. She wasn't any better on grass, but a lot are.

Good luck with her.

I just went through the minutes of the appeal on the race you got hosed on. That made for some good reading! PB made some good points....because on video all I have is the head on from a distance after the race that shows anything. You were never going to get them to reverse that.......stewards are like customs agents on a power trip. You probably could have gotten some sympathy from the racing office and have them write you a race next out. What killed you on the objection is that your jock looked back. If he doesn't look back and it isn't Foglesonger.....you win.

She's a good looking mare. Not For Love is expensive....but you could have a good looking baby that could sell in the ring if you went that way. If you want to race and are looking for something with a lower budget....Outflanker is nice. He's by Danzig and he'll go with the Blushing Groom all day. They don't really sell. I had a sweet little Outflanker filly that tried her heart out. She wasn't any better on grass, but a lot are.

Good luck with her.

Now you are doing some serious research. What was your horse's name? Where did she race. You've got to love the one's that try, even if they are not that good.

NFL is $20K this year-- not too bad. He is not a great nick with LIP. Outflanker I'll check on--he's very inexpensive.

Archived