It's February, so Relax

Dave Dryden

Enough of the hyperventilating. It's a long season, and you'll drive yourself crazy if you microanalyze every game. Flew in from Washington yesterday to see the game, and the Sabres sucked. If what they showed last night is what they are, then like Jim Mora, "playoffs? Are you kidding me, playoffs?"

But the Thomas Malthus crowd, who wants to extrapolate every game into a trajectory into the toilet are comical. Does anyone think that in an 82 game season that this team would not have peaks and valleys? They are not good enough to simply dominate for 82 games. Ottawa lost 5-6 straight before its current 11 game streak, things come and go.

What happens in February stays in February. For example, the fact that the Capitals are now in a 2 month exhibition season, will that help them come April? Maybe they are so good it won't matter, but the money here says like with QBs, you got 3 goaltenders you don't have one.

On the Sabres, guess what--they will either collapse or pull themselves out of this funk. If Miller is already dead in February because he is 6th in games played amongst goaltenders, then he is no stud. You can't trade half the team after every loss--as many seem to think. You basically are who you are, for better or worse.

And if the team is really not very good after all, why trade for a Kovalchuk? Unless you are a piece away from a cup, then why through good assets after a rental player? The manic depressives make no sense.

Here's how this likely will turn out. Sabres, who have missed the playoffs the last two years, will make the playoffs with about 100 points. That will likely make them the 3, 4 or 5 seed. Then the real season begins. If they are one and done--well it's still better than last year and more holes can be filled in the off season. If they do better, that's better. It was unlikely, and still is that this year is a Cup year. But the next two seasons could be special with the right tweaks.

So stop the doom and gloom after every loss. If they truly stink as bad as many of you think,then you should do something else than post about this team in the middle of the night. If you just feel pain and remain hopeful of some playoff hockey come April then don't sweat the details of every game. Relax, it's February... DD

Enough of the hyperventilating. It's a long season, and you'll drive yourself crazy if you microanalyze every game. Flew in from Washington yesterday to see the game, and the Sabres sucked. If what they showed last night is what they are, then like Jim Mora, "playoffs? Are you kidding me, playoffs?"

But the Thomas Malthus crowd, who wants to extrapolate every game into a trajectory into the toilet are comical. Does anyone think that in an 82 game season that this team would not have peaks and valleys? They are not good enough to simply dominate for 82 games. Ottawa lost 5-6 straight before its current 11 game streak, things come and go.

What happens in February stays in February. For example, the fact that the Capitals are now in a 2 month exhibition season, will that help them come April? Maybe they are so good it won't matter, but the money here says like with QBs, you got 3 goaltenders you don't have one.

On the Sabres, guess what--they will either collapse or pull themselves out of this funk. If Miller is already dead in February because he is 6th in games played amongst goaltenders, then he is no stud. You can't trade half the team after every loss--as many seem to think. You basically are who you are, for better or worse.

And if the team is really not very good after all, why trade for a Kovalchuk? Unless you are a piece away from a cup, then why through good assets after a rental player? The manic depressives make no sense.

Here's how this likely will turn out. Sabres, who have missed the playoffs the last two years, will make the playoffs with about 100 points. That will likely make them the 3, 4 or 5 seed. Then the real season begins. If they are one and done--well it's still better than last year and more holes can be filled in the off season. If they do better, that's better. It was unlikely, and still is that this year is a Cup year. But the next two seasons could be special with the right tweaks.

So stop the doom and gloom after every loss. If they truly stink as bad as many of you think,then you should do something else than post about this team in the middle of the night. If you just feel pain and remain hopeful of some playoff hockey come April then don't sweat the details of every game. Relax, it's February... DD

I want my five minutes back.

...but are you more relaxed now? <_<

I'm actually more angry.

..and speaking of February, what's the deal with Groundhog Day? If he sees his shadow, then there are six more weeks of winter. That puts it at March 16. If he doesn't see his shadow and stays out, then Spring comes two weeks early, which puts it at March 7. So there is all this fuss over nine days difference. Who cares? And both of them happen before Winter is actually over on March 21 anyway. And what if I like Winter,... stupid groundhog.

..and speaking of February, what's the deal with Groundhog Day? If he sees his shadow, then there are six more weeks of winter. That puts it at March 16. If he doesn't see his shadow and stays out, then Spring comes two weeks early, which puts it at March 7. So there is all this fuss over nine days difference. Who cares? And both of them happen before Winter is actually over on March 21 anyway. And what if I like Winter,... stupid groundhog.

Maybe you would be happier in Alaska. :thumbsup:

Easily alarmed AND a speed reader--is this JP Losman?

:lol:

When I wrote that I actually said,"Did that really take 5 minutes to read? Oh well, they'll know what I mean."

There is a big difference being easily alarmed and being a realist. I've seen this team before, the first time in '07-'08, then again in '08-'09. If you want to passively sit by and except whatever you are given and dream about fluffy puppies and kittens then go right ahead. I would just say that you don't care as much as I do. Which is fine.

:lol:

When I wrote that I actually said,"Did that really take 5 minutes to read? Oh well, they'll know what I mean."

There is a big difference being easily alarmed and being a realist. I've seen this team before, the first time in '07-'08, then again in '08-'09. If you want to passively sit by and except whatever you are given and dream about fluffy puppies and kittens then go right ahead. I would just say that you don't care as much as I do. Which is fine.

You are just a fan--what are you planning on doing besides sit by passively and "except" stet things? Lace 'em up? I would say I am the realist. This is not a Cup team, but pretty fun. Your unwillingness to deal with that is amuzing.

You have zero control over what happens. You can raise all the alarms you want, but it changes nothing. That does not mean you care more. You are just kind of like the robot from Lost in Space.

Here's another way to look at things and get really peeved:

Professional sports is entertainment, and the cost to attend a game is not inexpensive. You work pretty hard to earn that after-tax money you are spending, and certainly you deserve to get good value for it.

After a game like last night's, don't you feel RIPPED OFF by the Sabres lousy, lackluster effort?

No one expects them to win every game, but shouldn't we expect at least a decent effort each and every time out?

Not to single any one player out, but if you are paid, say $4.5M per season, that means you get nearly $55K per game (provided you play all 82). Did anyone see any Sabre playing like he earned his salary last night?

Is it too much to ask that they give max effort every game?

I guess I'm kind of disillusioned by pro athletes appearing to take the attitude that they can take nights off and not be held accountable for it. I love the Sabres, but boy don't they piss us off sometimes!

PM

You are just a fan--what are you planning on doing besides sit by passively and "except" stet things? Lace 'em up? I would say I am the realist. This is not a Cup team, but pretty fun. Your unwillingness to deal with that is amuzing.

You have zero control over what happens. You can raise all the alarms you want, but it changes nothing. That does not mean you care more. You are just kind of like the robot from Lost in Space.

I agree that this is not a Cup team. But where you are okay with watching them for what they are, I want Darcy to make some moves and make them better. I then voice those opinions to people I think would like to have a conversation about those opinions.

What's worse, someone writing about their team in the middle of the night or or someone telling that person to stop?

Next time, just tighten up your headband and light another incense if you need to find some inner peace. We'll be busy talking about the Sabres.

What is fun about not having a chance at the Stanley Cup. Seems pointless. Much like going to a fans message board and promoting apathy. I would say that many on this board do care more than the average fan. Many on this board are not happy with team status quo and their unwillingness to honestly assess themselves and make the changes needed to become a Cup contender. They have the biggest piece in place with goal-tending and their refusal to get him any help is a waste and a shame. There are many long time fans on this board many of which who have opinions that carry more weight for me than many in the actual media.

I agree that this is not a Cup team. But where you are okay with watching them for what they are, I want Darcy to make some moves and make them better. I then voice those opinions to people I think would like to have a conversation about those opinions.

What's worse, someone writing about their team in the middle of the night or or someone telling that person to stop?

Next time, just tighten up your headband and light another incense if you need to find some inner peace. We'll be busy talking about the Sabres.

I understand that you, and folks like DeLuca and PA have alot of anger about the team. It's your right to be angry. It's just that all your whining gets old after a while, and you act as if the whining is going to change things, similar to yelling at your TV. This team pi#$es me off mightily at times, but you have to have some perpective. I want to see them win a Cup as much as anyone, but I know 29 teams will not this year, and just because I don't get into a snit or pout or demand trades does not make me less of a fan, just a realist. Buy a team of your own if you want to have real input.

The 05-06 and 06-07 teams were fun. The Barnaby, May, Boughner years were fun. This team, while winning, is far from fun/exciting.

As Einstein said, insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Ergo if you are correct about this version of the Sabres, you diligent persistence in following them suggests you need to consider your sanity.

Professional sports is entertainment, and the cost to attend a game is not inexpensive. You work pretty hard to earn that after-tax money you are spending, and certainly you deserve to get good value for it.

After a game like last night's, don't you feel RIPPED OFF by the Sabres lousy, lackluster effort?

No one expects them to win every game, but shouldn't we expect at least a decent effort each and every time out?

Not to single any one player out, but if you are paid, say $4.5M per season, that means you get nearly $55K per game (provided you play all 82). Did anyone see any Sabre playing like he earned his salary last night?

I guess I'm kind of disillusioned by pro athletes appearing to take the attitude that they can take nights off and not be held accountable for it. I love the Sabres, but boy don't they piss us off sometimes!

PM

Now THAT was worth reading. Amen.

PM

Fair enough in an idealistic sense. But do you bring your best to your family and job each and every day? Perhpas you do, but most people are human and do not. Just because these guys have skills that pay them much more than most people does not mean they are still not human. It's what you do over the long haul that counts, not every day can be perfection.

Fair enough in an idealistic sense. But do you bring your best to your family and job each and every day? Perhpas you do, but most people are human and do not. Just because these guys have skills that pay them much more than most people does not mean they are still not human. It's what you do over the long haul that counts, not every day can be perfection.

For 4.5 million a year I'd be the best burger flipper this side of the Yangze River, and don't you doubt it.

I understand that you, and folks like DeLuca and PA have alot of anger about the team. It's your right to be angry. It's just that all your whining gets old after a while, and you act as if the whining is going to change things, similar to yelling at your TV. This team pi#$es me off mightily at times, but you have to have some perpective. I want to see them win a Cup as much as anyone, but I know 29 teams will not this year, and just because I don't get into a snit or pout or demand trades does not make me less of a fan, just a realist. Buy a team of your own if you want to have real input.

Do you even see the irony in you whining about us whining in a site designed for whining?

Probably not.

Good point. I'll let you resume your pity party w/o interuption--given the poor game again tonight, we'll need a suicide watch.

Don't get me wrong. I know I complain. Mostly about Lindy Ruff. But I don't live in Buffalo so if I don't do it here I have nowhere else to do it, and I'll end up beating my wife or kicking my dog or something. So just consider you reading these posts as some sort of public service. That might make it easier for ya.

Don't get me wrong. I know I complain. Mostly about Lindy Ruff. But I don't live in Buffalo so if I don't do it here I have nowhere else to do it, and I'll end up beating my wife or kicking my dog or something. So just consider you reading these posts as some sort of public service. That might make it easier for ya.

It isn't nice to abuse animals.

Fair enough. Let's call it a day. In fairness, they are making me want to vomit right now too...DD

Archived