[OT] Does anyone else get a good chuckle out of other places crying about snow?

matter2003

Well, we look at it the same way you sissy boys up north look at the summer, where anything above 80 degrees is a "heatwave" and you don't want to "stress" your body by being outdoors.

Then again, maybe if you weren't such a fat-@ss pansy you wouldn't sweat so much in the summer.

:nana:

Actually that's called being smart since the body is much better able to cope with the temperature being cold than it is with extremely hot temperatures. Don't even pretend to act like people don't pay it any attention down there because they tend to plan their activities early in the morning or later at night...Big difference between being tough and being stupid. It doesn't make you look tough to die from a heat stroke..it makes you look stupid...

But then again, people in that part of the country are used to looking stupid anyways, so it probably doesn't make much difference to them...that's what happens when you are so desperate for teachers you hire anyone who can walk and talk...

I'd have to guess that it has been some time since you saw Cleveland's snow removal, because I have to disagree. While it's not at the same level as Buffalo's ability to clear snow, I've seen this area handle some pretty good snowstorms over the last couple years about as well as could be expected. Of course some of the smaller municipalities have had issues in keeping up, and ODOT is getting better, although they are not at the top of their game yet.

I've driven through Cleveland on the I-90 many times over the past 8 years during the winter. I used to live in Columbus and Marion and also we sometimes go to visit my in-laws who live in Defiance during this time of year. There have been several times they got a few inches of snow and the I-90 wasn't plowed at all and it turned into a mess trying to drive in it with cars and trucks skidding all over. Very unimpressed with their snow plowing efforts. If you can't clear a major interstate going thru the heart of the city, what can you clear?

I've driven through Cleveland on the I-90 many times over the past 8 years during the winter. I used to live in Columbus and Marion and also we sometimes go to visit my in-laws who live in Defiance during this time of year. There have been several times they got a few inches of snow and the I-90 wasn't plowed at all and it turned into a mess trying to drive in it with cars and trucks skidding all over. Very unimpressed with their snow plowing efforts. If you can't clear a major interstate going thru the heart of the city, what can you clear?

Wow. I've lived here in Ohio for over 26 years and I don't get that impression at all. I have never had any trouble getting around. The only mess on I-90 that I've seen is east of the city in the snow belt when it is snowing so hard the plows have a hard time keeping up. Exactly the same trouble you run into on I-90 in the southtowns of Buffalo. I've been at a complete standstill there around dunkirk watching the snow pile up a few times in my life. Been travelling the 90 for 45 years. When it snows, it gets clogged. I've been in a few tornadoes here too. No hurricanes though.

Every winter this thread gets started by someone. Every year you all argue about it. Let's not let weather define us. We all have our crosses to bear. :)

Well, our taxes aren't higher simply because we have to have a fleet of snowplows at the ready, but your first point stands. (OTOH, there are people who love the winters up here. I don't understand them, but they seem to exist.)

Had a good friend from Baton Rouge who just laughed and laughed the first time she heard me use the word "snowblower." She had never heard of such a thing, and apparently, the word was very funny to her. And I was horrified to learn that people have "hurricane parties" rather than get the hell out of town. It's all a matter of what you're used to.

They are also higher because of the staff to run those plows and the managers to manage that staff and the administrators to administer to the managers and the boards and councils and whatever other political staff.

I'm just below the PA line in Harford county, MD. We got 24" of snow here. I took a very practical approach to this storm. I stayed inside yesterday and waited until this AM to dig out. I sure wish I had a snowblower. That would have cut my shoveling time down from 3hrs to 1hr. I enjoyed the snow and my kids will get a couple of days off school.

But I do agree with SDS here. The amount of snow removal equipment in Erie county probably surpasses what the state of Maryland owns.

Wow. I've lived here in Ohio for over 26 years and I don't get that impression at all. I have never had any trouble getting around. The only mess on I-90 that I've seen is east of the city in the snow belt when it is snowing so hard the plows have a hard time keeping up. Exactly the same trouble you run into on I-90 in the southtowns of Buffalo. I've been at a complete standstill there around dunkirk watching the snow pile up a few times in my life. Been travelling the 90 for 45 years. When it snows, it gets clogged. I've been in a few tornadoes here too. No hurricanes though.

Every winter this thread gets started by someone. Every year you all argue about it. Let's not let weather define us. We all have our crosses to bear. :)

Well put, Ohiofan.

"The Washington Redskins issued a press release yesterday which said that 25 million pounds of snow would have to be removed from FedEx Field prior to Monday night's game against the New York Giants. (Remove may have been the wrong word choice. It's more of a relocation.) The team is using 1,200 workers to clear the snow and is using strategies borrowed from other outfits more proficient in snow removal, like Buffalo, where the team traveled last week for a crash-course in seat shoveling."

:thumbsup:

Well, we look at it the same way you sissy boys up north look at the summer, where anything above 80 degrees is a "heatwave" and you don't want to "stress" your body by being outdoors.

Then again, maybe if you weren't such a fat-@ss pansy you wouldn't sweat so much in the summer.

:nana:

C'mon Gary, when's the last time you saw people jogging in the early afternoon on a beautiful July Saturday in Dallas? OK, yeah, jogging's a bit extreme for the weather; so how about gardening? OK, yeah, gardening is a bit extreme for the weather, so how about golfing sans cart? OK, yeah, ...

Basically, you get the idea. The illegals are doing the outdoor work around that time and the Gringos are sitting in their air conditioned houses or by their pools. But keep telling yourself you don't mind sweating on the 30 second walk from your car to the next AC'd building you're entering. :)

C'mon Gary, when's the last time you saw people jogging in the early afternoon on a beautiful July Saturday in Dallas? OK, yeah, jogging's a bit extreme for the weather; so how about gardening? OK, yeah, gardening is a bit extreme for the weather, so how about golfing sans cart? OK, yeah, ...

Basically, you get the idea. The illegals are doing the outdoor work around that time and the Gringos are sitting in their air conditioned houses or by their pools. But keep telling yourself you don't mind sweating on the 30 second walk from your car to the next AC'd building you're entering. :)

Some of us don't mind, really. I have no problem playing 18 in July/August. Sweat? Of course, but it doesn't stop me from enjoying the afternoons. I wouldn't run a marathon, but it's not torture either. It's personal preference, really, and age/condition.

Also, I didn't mind the winters in Buffalo. Like any other "atmosphere", you adapt to your surroundings.

If given the choice between the two, I'd take the heat. If you took a poll and asked 100 people, I'm sure it would be close to 50/50. It's not even an argument, it's a lifestyle choice.

MATTER - BTW, I haven't gotten "stupid" yet by living in the south. I hope it's not contagious. My wife's a teacher here as well, 4th grade. She has a 4 year degree from UCF, so she must be the exception to the "Teacher Hiring" rule of thumb, you know, just being able to walk and talk..... nice.

Some of us don't mind, really. I have no problem playing 18 in July/August. Sweat? Of course, but it doesn't stop me from enjoying the afternoons. I wouldn't run a marathon, but it's not torture either. It's personal preference, really, and age/condition.

Also, I didn't mind the winters in Buffalo. Like any other "atmosphere", you adapt to your surroundings.

If given the choice between the two, I'd take the heat. If you took a poll and asked 100 people, I'm sure it would be close to 50/50. It's not even an argument, it's a lifestyle choice.

MATTER - BTW, I haven't gotten "stupid" yet by living in the south. I hope it's not contagious. My wife's a teacher here as well, 4th grade. She has a 4 year degree from UCF, so she must be the exception to the "Teacher Hiring" rule of thumb, you know, just being able to walk and talk..... nice.

OK, so just to make sure I am understanding you correctly, you are stating that you walk 18, in Orlando, in August, in the afternoon, regularly by choice? If that's true, more power to you bro.

OK, so just to make sure I am understanding you correctly, you are stating that you walk 18, in Orlando, in August, in the afternoon, regularly by choice? If that's true, more power to you bro.

No, in a cart.

But to be fair, I cart it in December, too. People who walk actually annoy me. Sorry if I mislead.

And you're right, no way would I walk 18 in the Summer, if asked to. I said I don't "mind" the heat, but I'm not crazy either!!!

This is all just a matter of perspective.

Considering that many places south of the PA/MD border get 24 inches total over the course of 5 years, this is huge to them. My old company's HQ was in Ashton, VA...they would send everyone home on a threat of 4-5 inches because they're not used to it. Personally, I wouldn't want to go out during a Virginia snowstorm because other drivers aren't used to the roads being slick like that. Plus, with the smaller number of plows down there waiting for the snow to end, it makes it that much more difficult to drive anywhere.

I heard some of my Beltway-area friends (many of whom are transplants from NY) complaining about the shoveling, the masses at the grocery store prepping for armageddon, and the horrible drivers...I laugh at it for the same reason that matter2003 talked about, but I don't think that it's justice or anything.

I see all these places acting like they just got hit with the storm of the millennium and I find it kinda funny. I mean we have that type of snowfall here a few times a year sometimes, or in some of the southtowns, a few times a month. Its just not that big of a deal, get over it, whatever. We got close to 2 feet of snow last week(at least near my house---where I work in Niagara Falls it was sunny all day while my wife was calling to let me know she couldn't see the house across the street), noone here was crying about it. It amazes me just how wimpy other areas of the country are when it comes to snow. I am sure we will be reading about how these places are shut down for the next week. If you know anyone out in those areas, tell them to toughen up, grow a sack and get their shovels out. :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

I know and I don't even live there anymore... I have lived in DC, and now just north of NYC and it is a riot how people freak out, spin tires, abandon cars at the drop of a hat and generally have no clue.

P.S. How do you drive in the snow with a four wheel drive vehicle... in Buffalo at a reasonable pace and don't tailgate... in DC 70 mpg and ride people bumper when ever you can and then wonder why your breaks don't work..

NY is not quite as bad, but they whine even more, it sounds pathetic coming from grown men over 4-8 inches. The first and last time I took my wife to Buffalo for x-mas, I think that is was 2001 or 2002 we got there and there was no snow on the ground. She is from NYC by the way and she started carping about there being no snow and that I promised. This was three days before x-mas. I told her to watch her mouth and that it usually comes in Christmas eve or day. Well it started a day early and didn't quit till there was 5 feet. And yet a day later the roads were cleared and people got moving again... I did tell her I told you so.

But the whine down her is pathetic, like chalk on a chalk board. Pulease east coasters get over yourselves.

While the coverage here in Pilly is ridiculous (the local Fox TV had constant coverage talking to people about snow), there's two sides of it. Sure, we only got 16" of snow (give or take). But it's 16", in this case, of really heavy dense, wet snow. Since there's only show like this every couple years (and only snows a few times a year total), I won't be bothered with a snow blower. A few days a year with a shovel is fine.

My municipality's plows consist mostly of full-size pickups with a plow, just like every plow guy in Buffalo. They drive down the middle of a street and clear 1.5 car widths. That's it.

But, when was the last time the Buffalo folks spent 4 hours shoveling? About half of that was digging out my driveway, sidewalk, and the area around my mailbox. The post office won't deliver mail unless you shovel out. "Neither sleet, now snow, nor mild inconvenience shall keep...". Then, I spent 2 more hours moving the snow that was plowed into the street where my car usually goes. I should note that my car was not parked in front of my house when the plows came through, they just didn't plow up to the curb.

Am I complaining? A little, but I get it. Much like I don't have an 8HP snowblower here, it doesn't make sense for the city to keep dozens of highway-type plows like every town in Erie county has.

While the coverage here in Pilly is ridiculous (the local Fox TV had constant coverage talking to people about snow), there's two sides of it. Sure, we only got 16" of snow (give or take). But it's 16", in this case, of really heavy dense, wet snow. Since there's only show like this every couple years (and only snows a few times a year total), I won't be bothered with a snow blower. A few days a year with a shovel is fine.

My municipality's plows consist mostly of full-size pickups with a plow, just like every plow guy in Buffalo. They drive down the middle of a street and clear 1.5 car widths. That's it.

But, when was the last time the Buffalo folks spent 4 hours shoveling? About half of that was digging out my driveway, sidewalk, and the area around my mailbox. The post office won't deliver mail unless you shovel out. "Neither sleet, now snow, nor mild inconvenience shall keep...". Then, I spent 2 more hours moving the snow that was plowed into the street where my car usually goes. I should note that my car was not parked in front of my house when the plows came through, they just didn't plow up to the curb.

Am I complaining? A little, but I get it. Much like I don't have an 8HP snowblower here, it doesn't make sense for the city to keep dozens of highway-type plows like every town in Erie county has.

Then do what every Buffalonian does in this case, do some shoveling, yell at the kids to finish up, build a fire and if you get a chance... make nice with the wife, but pulease stop the whining. Common, a little physical labor is good for the soul. Heck, I am in the NYC area now. We shoveled 4 inches and then went sledding in the back yard and wore my two boys out. It is just not that big a deal. Really, how are you so important that you can't take the time to dig out, meet your neighbors and spend some QT at home... Sorry, no sympathy here, I spent 21 years in DC and still laugh at the occasional once every 5 year dump of 12+ inches that melts a week later flurry. That is not a storm folks. 9 inches in two hours is the start of a storm, less than that is a flurry and maybe a snow squall, but not a storm.

Then do what every Buffalonian does in this case, do some shoveling, yell at the kids to finish up, build a fire and if you get a chance... make nice with the wife, but pulease stop the whining. Common, a little physical labor is good for the soul. Heck, I am in the NYC area now. We shoveled 4 inches and then went sledding in the back yard and wore my two boys out. It is just not that big a deal. Really, how are you so important that you can't take the time to dig out, meet your neighbors and spend some QT at home... Sorry, no sympathy here, I spent 21 years in DC and still laugh at the occasional once every 5 year dump of 12+ inches that melts a week later flurry. That is not a storm folks. 9 inches in two hours is the start of a storm, less than that is a flurry and maybe a snow squall, but not a storm.

Wife? Kids? Must be nice to have someone to help you out. And 4 whole inches yesterday? You're a beast for taking care of that!

I think you missed the point of my post. I'm not complaining that much. Sure it would be nice if they plowed a little better, but other than that it is what it is. I love how you read into that I think I'm self important or some bulls#!+. All I'm saying is that a foot of snow in places that aren't Buffalo isn't the same thing. If you can't see that you're something of a moron. Or you feel that you're so much better than everyone else because you've seen snow.

Besides, you apparently lived in North Buffalo. I grew up in the Southtowns, where we get real snow unlike you north of the city wusses. :) :) (yes, I know the irony there, that's the point)

Wife? Kids? Must be nice to have someone to help you out. And 4 whole inches yesterday? You're a beast for taking care of that!

I think you missed the point of my post. I'm not complaining that much. Sure it would be nice if they plowed a little better, but other than that it is what it is. I love how you read into that I think I'm self important or some bulls#!+. All I'm saying is that a foot of snow in places that aren't Buffalo isn't the same thing. If you can't see that you're something of a moron. Or you feel that you're so much better than everyone else because you've seen snow.

Besides, you apparently lived in North Buffalo. I grew up in the Southtowns, where we get real snow unlike you north of the city wusses. :) :) (yes, I know the irony there, that's the point)

Yeah, probably should have left that point out.. :rolleyes:

True North Buffalo didn't get that much snow compared to you Southies, but then why whine??? You must be getting old or spent to much time away from the homeland?? :thumbsup:

I always thought when we got snow down south it was time to have fun and rank on the idiots on the road... You must be getting old. No kidding. P.S. It is not Thursday yet so you are not allowed to complain here. BTW, The self-importance comment was made more for the DC area people who insist they have to get somewhere and get all pissy about it, not to you.... sorry for implying that was you.

Yeah, probably should have left that point out.. :rolleyes:

The only reason I put that in was because even here they are whining about the 4 inches... It is pathetic. I for one remember the Blizzard of 77, got my first paper route the day that thing hit and delivered the then Buffalo Evening News. We were able to go out my window on the second floor, walk onto the roof of the porch and on to the snow in our front yard. It was pretty fun, no piling up snow to make a fort.

P.S. And I cleared that pathetic 4 inches, my wife is a NYC girl and well she is like the rest of the sheep, complaining.... At least my son is into sledding, built a pretty run.

The only reason I put that in was because even here they are whining about the 4 inches... It is pathetic. I for one remember the Blizzard of 77, got my first paper route the day that thing hit and delivered the then Buffalo Evening News. We were able to go out my window on the second floor, walk onto the roof of the porch and on to the snow in our front yard. It was pretty fun, no piling up snow to make a fort.

P.S. And I cleared that pathetic 4 inches, my wife is a NYC girl and well she is like the rest of the sheep, complaining.... At least my son is into sledding, built a pretty run.

if we could only be as manly as you. :rolleyes:

I can only imagine how many times your teammates accidentally hit you with pucks.

The Blizzard of '77 was probably a once a century storm. I had a ball. Schools were closed for more than one week. Snowmobiles were on the streets of Hamburg everywhere...

My kids don't seem to get the same enjoyment out of snow we did as kids.. We played all day in it. Mine got cold after 1 hr and that was it.

The Blizzard of '77 was probably a once a century storm. I had a ball. Schools were closed for more than one week. Snowmobiles were on the streets of Hamburg everywhere...

My kids don't seem to get the same enjoyment out of snow we did as kids.. We played all day in it. Mine got cold after 1 hr and that was it.

I would pay money to see the places that got hit with this past storm deal with the Blizzard of 77...they would be shut down until the summer came and melted everything.

or even the craziness that happened when a heavy lake effect snow band sat over the city of Buffalo and nearby neighboring towns for 5 days and dumped 7 feet of snow about 10-12 years ago...biggest snowpiles I have ever seen...

Archived