[OT] Does anyone else get a good chuckle out of other places crying about snow?

matter2003

Well, we look at it the same way you sissy boys up north look at the summer, where anything above 80 degrees is a "heatwave" and you don't want to "stress" your body by being outdoors.

Then again, maybe if you weren't such a fat-@ss pansy you wouldn't sweat so much in the summer.

:nana:

I spend most Saturdays at the dragstrip between February and November. Usually from early afternoon into the next morning (at least very late night). I'd say between May and September the weather is unbearable; it's really quite unbelievable when you can finish off 5 bottles of 64oz. Gatorades and never have to use the bathroom. Been here 15 years and it took quite a while to get used to it. I still consider myself a cold weather person and still prefer the cold weather. Hell, up until this first cold front finally came through, it was still getting into the high 80's halfway through December!!! But, IMHO it is easier to adapt to BFLO's climate than it is to adapt to SoFL's climate. There's something wrong when you need to change your shirt after 10 minutes sitting under a shade tree in the middle of summer.

From all the people I've encountered who have relocated to different areas of the country and world, it seems to me people are naturally cold or warm weather. When I came down here all I heard was the "Oh you'll get used to it after your blood thins out....... blah blah blah". Well, I still hate it and still sweat my ass off. But, I can still walk around outside the rare occasions when it gets into the 40's in shorts and T-shirt and people look at me like I'm crazy. On the other hand, the people who are naturally warm weather people can be seen walking around with pants, jacket and gloves when it's in the 60's. NO LIE!

Now that I think about it, I don't know why I responded to you personally........ you know what I'm talking about. ;)

Well, our taxes aren't higher simply because we have to have a fleet of snowplows at the ready, but your first point stands. (OTOH, there are people who love the winters up here. I don't understand them, but they seem to exist.)

Had a good friend from Baton Rouge who just laughed and laughed the first time she heard me use the word "snowblower." She had never heard of such a thing, and apparently, the word was very funny to her. And I was horrified to learn that people have "hurricane parties" rather than get the hell out of town. It's all a matter of what you're used to.

I'm just glad that when I was a kid, Ray Nagin wasn't my bus driver.

What's really sad is that I could be fined for driving during a "snowstorm" in Birmingham, Alabama. It wouldn't matter if I told them I grew up outside of Buffalo and that I know how to handle that kind of driving. I'd still get a ticket for something like public endangerment or something similar to that.

BTW, I heard that the company that was contracted out to help clear the roads in Virginia really dropped the ball when the "blizzard" went through the area last weekend and that there's been a serious a$$-chewing over their "head in the rectum" snow removal management style.

Archived