[OT] Does anyone else get a good chuckle out of other places crying about snow?

matter2003

I see all these places acting like they just got hit with the storm of the millennium and I find it kinda funny. I mean we have that type of snowfall here a few times a year sometimes, or in some of the southtowns, a few times a month. Its just not that big of a deal, get over it, whatever. We got close to 2 feet of snow last week(at least near my house---where I work in Niagara Falls it was sunny all day while my wife was calling to let me know she couldn't see the house across the street), noone here was crying about it. It amazes me just how wimpy other areas of the country are when it comes to snow. I am sure we will be reading about how these places are shut down for the next week. If you know anyone out in those areas, tell them to toughen up, grow a sack and get their shovels out. :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

well, that was a pretty ignorant rant.

As a matter of practicality, what do you propose the taxpayers of Maryland fund when we get a snow storm like this once every 5 years? Should we buy 10x the amount of equipment? 10x the amount of salt? Hire and train 10x the amount of drivers, so that maybe 2x per decade they go out for two days? What would be your answer in how you would spend my tax money?

As a matter of practicality, what do you propose the taxpayers of Maryland fund when we get a snow storm like this once every 5 years? Should we buy 10x the amount of equipment? 10x the amount of salt? Hire and train 10x the amount of drivers, so that maybe 2x per decade they go out for two days? What would be your answer in how you would spend my tax money?

As Marv always said...

"When its too tough for them, its just right for us..."

A good first step would be to get your shovels out(if you have one I guess) and get some good exercise...

Then just go about your business like normal...nothing to see here, keep it moving...

and I didn't even mention the 10,000's of private citizens in WNY with snow plows on their trucks plowing driveways and the other snow removal businesses that clear out the business parking lots. Where would this equipment come from Einstein? Should we all invest in that too?

Actually, considering how well snow removal functions in WNY - there really isn't anything to be tough about is there?

As Marv always said...

"When its too tough for them, its just right for us..."

A good first step would be to get your shovels out(if you have one I guess) and get some good exercise...

wow, another wonderful insight. :rolleyes:

I guess I should grab a shovel and remove 20" of snow from my side street by hand. It's only two miles long.

wow, another wonderful insight. :rolleyes:

I guess I should grab a shovel and remove 20" of snow from my side street by hand. It's only two miles long.

SDS, I lived in the District for years and years (including one bad storm), and I did have to text a bunch of friends today to let them know I was snickering at them. (I've taken enough crap about snow since moving back home!) You're going to be fine, even though your communities aren't set up for this. Hang in there, have a beer, and take the ribbing. It's all cool.

Actually, considering how well snow removal functions in WNY - there really isn't anything to be tough about is there?

It has to be good, they are responsible for training half the US in how to snowplow effectively...unfortunately they aren't very good learners from the few times I had the chance to see first hand---especially in Cleveland, which is inexcusable since they get quite a bit of snow themselves... Great snow removal doesn't help you when you have a long driveway and 4 feet of snow at the end from the plows going by either, btw :thumbsup:

As far as the whole toughness thing, its really a state of mind here...noone really cares how much it snows, we just go on with things like normal and actually go outside and enjoy it...sledding, skating, skiing, snow football, etc...people here were like WTF is the weather channel here for making such a big deal out of it? Its just snow...

No need for a week's worth of front page headlines...

SDS, I lived in the District for years and years (including one bad storm), and I did have to text a bunch of friends today to let them know I was snickering at them. (I've taken enough crap about snow since moving back home!) You're going to be fine, even though your communities aren't set up for this. Hang in there, have a beer, and take the ribbing. It's all cool.

When I was in college in St. Louis they actually shut the city down because there was a "threat" of a winter storm coming. They looked pretty dumb when we ended up getting like an inch of snow and I was like WTF laughing at all my friends there... 2 inches is usually enough to cause widespread panic in most places...even as far north as Ohio...they freaked out just as bad a lot of times...

Boy, Scott, you sure are getting defensive. I'm betting you're a complainer, aren't you?

No, I'm not.

But I live here and it is disruptive due to the lack of infrastructure because it doesn't make financial sense to invest in the infrastructure. It has nothing to do with wimpy or tough people.

And everyone I know shovels their driveways just fine, the kids play in the snow, and we wait until the snow stops and the trucks can make it to the side streets.

Yeah, because we totally don't lose our minds around here when we get a little funnel that touches down on some farm in Clarence and trashes an aluminum shed. "OH SH*T A TORNADO!"

I bet people in Kansas don't sit around calling us pussies when that happens every 5 years or so, but we all sit here feelin' smug about the fact that we can drive in snow and them stupid southerners can't pulled it off. How dare they not know how to drive in snow!

I live in Philly now, a city known for its "toughness." I think I had about 50 separate conversations about a storm that dropped maybe 6 inches of snow. Many people were afraid it would shut things down for days, using words like "epic" and "substantial" to describe the snowfall. I've gotten my fair share of "you're basically from canada" since I moved down, but it is a little embarrassing when you feel you could do a better job at organizing snow removal than employees of the state and city government.

As someone who was scheduled to fly into Dulles yesterday and I am now in Chicago it is a big deal. The Buffalo airport obviously doesnt have nearly the same ripple effect that Dulles and BWI have on the rest of the country. I think that alone makes it a bigger deal on the news and online.

I think those would be considered "Shovel Ready Jobs" by some.

SDS' comment cuts to the quick a bit. We who stay in the declining Rust Belt get jabbed about two things, primarily, by those who head to greener pastures. 1. Their pastures are greener, and warmer. Doesn't apply as much to SDS' Maryland. 2. Their taxes are low and their economies are booming! Well, no #%^$#! sherlock, if taxpayers don't have to pay for basic municipal services like being ready for a snowstorm. Our taxes tend to be high, but at least the roads get plowed. How much is it going to cost the Eastern Seaboard to be "shut down" for days?

I see all these places acting like they just got hit with the storm of the millennium and I find it kinda funny. I mean we have that type of snowfall here a few times a year sometimes, or in some of the southtowns, a few times a month. Its just not that big of a deal, get over it, whatever. We got close to 2 feet of snow last week(at least near my house---where I work in Niagara Falls it was sunny all day while my wife was calling to let me know she couldn't see the house across the street), noone here was crying about it. It amazes me just how wimpy other areas of the country are when it comes to snow. I am sure we will be reading about how these places are shut down for the next week. If you know anyone out in those areas, tell them to toughen up, grow a sack and get their shovels out. :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Well, we look at it the same way you sissy boys up north look at the summer, where anything above 80 degrees is a "heatwave" and you don't want to "stress" your body by being outdoors.

Then again, maybe if you weren't such a fat-@ss pansy you wouldn't sweat so much in the summer.

:nana:

SDS' comment cuts to the quick a bit. We who stay in the declining Rust Belt get jabbed about two things, primarily, by those who head to greener pastures. 1. Their pastures are greener, and warmer. Doesn't apply as much to SDS' Maryland. 2. Their taxes are low and their economies are booming! Well, no #%^$#! sherlock, if taxpayers don't have to pay for basic municipal services like being ready for a snowstorm. Our taxes tend to be high, but at least the roads get plowed. How much is it going to cost the Eastern Seaboard to be "shut down" for days?

Well, our taxes aren't higher simply because we have to have a fleet of snowplows at the ready, but your first point stands. (OTOH, there are people who love the winters up here. I don't understand them, but they seem to exist.)

Had a good friend from Baton Rouge who just laughed and laughed the first time she heard me use the word "snowblower." She had never heard of such a thing, and apparently, the word was very funny to her. And I was horrified to learn that people have "hurricane parties" rather than get the hell out of town. It's all a matter of what you're used to.

It has to be good, they are responsible for training half the US in how to snowplow effectively...unfortunately they aren't very good learners from the few times I had the chance to see first hand---especially in Cleveland, which is inexcusable since they get quite a bit of snow themselves...

I'd have to guess that it has been some time since you saw Cleveland's snow removal, because I have to disagree. While it's not at the same level as Buffalo's ability to clear snow, I've seen this area handle some pretty good snowstorms over the last couple years about as well as could be expected. Of course some of the smaller municipalities have had issues in keeping up, and ODOT is getting better, although they are not at the top of their game yet.

Well, we look at it the same way you sissy boys up north look at the summer, where anything above 80 degrees is a "heatwave" and you don't want to "stress" your body by being outdoors.

Then again, maybe if you weren't such a fat-@ss pansy you wouldn't sweat so much in the summer.

:nana:

:thumbsup:

And I was horrified to learn that people have "hurricane parties" rather than get the hell out of town.

Had the same reaction when I hear the same thing while living in Florida, Eleven. Could not believe the number of people who ha no intention of getting out of Dodge when the storms were coming.

and I didn't even mention the 10,000's of private citizens in WNY with snow plows on their trucks plowing driveways and the other snow removal businesses that clear out the business parking lots. Where would this equipment come from Einstein? Should we all invest in that too?

Boy, talk about an ignorant rant. If we take crap constantly about how much snow we get, you should certainly be able to take crap about being a p@$$# about that same snow. Just make sure you have enough milk and you'll get through this blizzard just fine.

Boy, talk about an ignorant rant. If we take crap constantly about how much snow we get, you should certainly be able to take crap about being a p@$$# about that same snow. Just make sure you have enough milk and you'll get through this blizzard just fine.

wow, glad to see you've wrapped your head around the argument.

It has nothing to do how tough you are and it has everything to do with infrastructure. Our driveways are shoveled just fine. People are willing and waiting to go to work and their daily activities. All we need is for the snow plows to clear the roads. How difficult is that to understand?

wow, glad to see you've wrapped your head around the argument.

It has nothing to do how tough you are and it has everything to do with infrastructure. Our driveways are shoveled just fine. People are willing and waiting to go to work and their daily activities. All we need is for the snow plows to clear the roads. How difficult is that to understand?

It's not difficult to understand at all, only that's not what I hear people complain about. They complain about the little stuff, like shoveling their driveway or even worse, that horrible horrible task of scraping their windshield. Oh, the horror.

You're ridiculous. Give it a rest. SDS is right.

Archived