Gerbe to stay in Buffalo?

static70

It won't really be a decision until Gaustad or Grier gets back. If he's playing this well, I don't see them sending him down to play a defenseman at wing (if Butler were to be first back.) Once Grier or Goose returns, Ellis or Mair may sit to let Gerbe stay up (assuming he continues to play well.) Once both are back, he'll probably be headed back down (he'll have to if Butler is back, too, as they won't have a roster spot.)

It won't really be a decision until Gaustad or Grier gets back. If he's playing this well, I don't see them sending him down to play a defenseman at wing (if Butler were to be first back.) Once Grier or Goose returns, Ellis or Mair may sit to let Gerbe stay up (assuming he continues to play well.) Once both are back, he'll probably be headed back down (he'll have to if Butler is back, too, as they won't have a roster spot.)

Thanks for the response carpandean and it makes complete sense as well.

Once both are back, he'll probably be headed back down (he'll have to if Butler is back, too, as they won't have a roster spot.)

As much as I have bashed the little dude, I'd love to see him force them to make a roster move by playing well enough to mandate his stay.

watching him play last night was odd for me. I wasn't sure how to take him. It's apparent he has skill. It just seems so gimmicky to have a 5'5" guy on the ice. Whatever. as long as he is scoring and providing a spark I say keep him up. He's gotta be better than that princess Kennedy.

As much as I have bashed the little dude, I'd love to see him force them to make a roster move by playing well enough to mandate his stay.

They could just send Mair down, since he cleared waivers, but Lindy specifically noted Mair's play in the NJ game. The only other two realistic possibilities, short of some major trade, are Paetsch and Ellis.

Given the two games prior Grier/Guastad going out, would the lines look like this:

MacArthur-Connolly-Stafford

Gerbe-Roy-Pommer

Vanek-Kennedy-Grier

Hecht-Gaustad-Kaleta

Side note: I've always liked this shot from last year ...

post-1053-12604642225134_thumb.jpg

watching him play last night was odd for me. I wasn't sure how to take him. It's apparent he has skill. It just seems so gimmicky to have a 5'5" guy on the ice. Whatever. as long as he is scoring and providing a spark I say keep him up. He's gotta be better than that princess Kennedy.

I'm surprised you would refer to Kennedy like that. He hasn't shied away from going to the net and getting involved in scrums and the like.

I'm surprised you would refer to Kennedy like that. He hasn't shied away from going to the net and getting involved in scrums and the like.

Agreed , kennedy is a scrapper and pretty tough for his size. id like to see some scoring tho..

as for Gerbe... he goes down unless he keeps scoring, he doesnt bring much else to the table.

Let's wait and see how he plays before we answer this one. If Grier were to come back for the next game, I think he'd be right back down to Portland. I think they'd be crazy not to reunite that Vanek-Kennedy-Grier combination immediately. So unless they drop MacArthur or Hecht down to the 4th line, removing Mair/Ellis from the lineup, that leaves little space in those first two lines for Gerbe. He sure as hell won't be skating with the 4th line.

There are a number of players I would put after the word princess and Kennedy isn't one of them.

Add me to the group that is protesting this slur on Kennedy.

Given the two games prior Grier/Guastad going out, would the lines look like this:

MacArthur-Connolly-Stafford

Gerbe-Roy-Pommer

Vanek-Kennedy-Grier

Hecht-Gaustad-Kaleta

This is a pretty good guess, but that Roy line is really pretty small. They could be entertaining though.

Like Shrader said and others have implied, the only way Gerbe stays is if he proves he is 1st or 2nd line talent.

Then you have a choice of putting Hecht down to the 4th line ( $3.8 million on the fourth line), putting Mac down there ( sure he'd love playing for a contract on that line) or moving one of the other top 6 forwards (unlikely).

All that being said, I'd say the odds of any of the above happening are less than the odds of Gerbe ending the season with another organization.

I'm too lazy to look it up, but Mair mast have played 10 games now since the waivers. He would have to clear again if that is the case.

Mair went on waivers 11/9...14 games ago.

Strange, I knew about that rule, but didn't believe that it had been 10 games. I would have guessed maybe 8, but I also would have guessed he went on waivers around the 19th, not the 9th. Looking at his game log, he's played 12 games since then.

So, then, it would mean putting Mair, Ellis or Paetsch on waivers to keep him up once everyone returns. I don't see that happening unless he continues to light the lamp.

I too am not sure what to make of Gerbe. I don't believe his size is an issue if he properly utilizes his skill to continue to contribute. But then, that would ultimately raise the following question:

What is expected of him contribution wise on the score sheet? What is the organization looking for, goals? helpers?

Just a good fit to elevate other players play?

Also, he seemed to play with such energy and using his speed last night, what would be the line combo that maximizes his potential?

Many questions with him.

Archived