Mixed results at the quarter pole...

LabattBlue

The Sabres got off to a great start but even before they started losing(4-6-1 over their last 11), they began to resemble the the team from the last two years. Not only have the top 6 been very mediocre, but the bottom six have also tailed off. Two days from now they could be tied for 13th in the conference. The Sabres have a 5 game homestand starting next week with games against Montreal, New York Rangers, New Jersey, Washington and Chicago. This stretch could be a good indication of what team you will see down the stretch run.

Breakdown...

Goalies

Miller - I've always been a critic of his, but his play this year to date has been outstanding. Without him, the Sabres would be having lunch in the basement with Carolina and Toronto.

Lalime - No comment. He is an over the hill backup and to compound matters, he has a coach who has no confidence in his backup.

Defense

Myers - Very impressive for his age. I have noticed him not jumping up into the play as much and focusing more on his own end. This is a good thing from where I sit. I also noticed him being a little more physical in his own end, but I see nothing close to the mean streak that some were anticipating.

Tallinder - Contract year, drinking from the fountain of youth or something else, his play has been above average compared to the last two years.

Lydman - Has been hurt more than healthy. He has been average.

Butler - Started off good, but has tailed off badly. Is in the bottom of the league in +/- and seems to have confidence issues with the puck on his stick. I noticed the same problem with him last year.

Montador - Better skater than I thought. Willing to drop the gloves, but like Rivet is not very physical other than the fighting. Good signing!

Sekera - Not an offensive force, not a defensive force and now he is the odd man out.

Rivet - As I mentioned earlier this year, he is Drew Bledsoe on skates. Slow, prone to mistakes(see penalty taken during 5 minute PP last night) and not physical.

Paetsch - Okay in his few games. It might be worth a shot to dress him and play him on the point during the PP.

Forwards

Roy, Vanek, Pominville & Connolly(Fab 4) - More mature? HA! They are the same inconsistent players this year as they have been the past two years.

Stafford - Really impressed me early on. Played hard on the 4th line early on, got moved back up to the 1st line and continued to play well. Then, he went back to being the same old Stafford.

MacArthur - A duplicate so far of last year. Got off to a great start and then tailed off.

Hecht - Has played better defensively, but his offensive game is still MIA.

Grier - Has been very solid and appears to be a good influence in the locker room, but who knows what goes on behind closed doors.

Kennedy - Has been okay and played with more grit than I expected, but 1 goal and 5 points? Maybe another year in Portland could have benefited him.

Kaleta - He has had a few games where his physical play is not there, but for the most part, knows his game and sticks to it. Most amazing stat at this point...Kaleta has more ES points than Vanek!

Gaustad- I have complained in the past that he is overpaid, but he earns his pay for the most part. Is still prone to having games where he is MIA.

Ellis - He had a few games earlier this year where he was a forechecking force. Since then...JAG.

Mair - Send him to Portland and get him some playing time.

Ruff, McCutcheon, Patrick & Corsi - They just can't get these guys to commit to more consistent efforts. How much improvement have you seen out of players over the last 3 years? Not much is the correct answer for most, except for Miller this year.

Regier - Major error by not obtaining a PP QB in the off season. How long does DR wait if the team continues to tread water, before shaking up the core?

In summary, if Miller can keep up his level of play, not get burned out along the way and the rest of the team can find a way to be inspired by his play, they should be able to make the playoffs. If not, it will be another year of missing the playoffs for the 6th time in 8 years.

*Funny math alert!! Funny math alert!!

:nana:

Edit: what the heck? No matter what caps you use in alert (all caps: alert, first letter cap: alert, or no caps: alert) it comes out with no caps. Weird.

alert!

We must fight technology now before it destroys us.

The Sabres got off to a great start but even before they started losing(4-6-1 over their last 10), they began to resemble the the team from the last two years. Not only have the top 6 been very mediocre, but the bottom six have also tailed off. Two days from now they could be tied for 13th in the conference. The Sabres have a 5 game homestand starting next week with games against Montreal, New York Rangers, New Jersey, Washington and Chicago. This stretch could be a good indictation of what team you will see down the stretch run.

Breakdown...

Goalies

Miller - I've always been a critic of his, but his play this year to date has been outstanding. Without him, the Sabres would be having lunch in the basement with Carolina and Toronto.

Lalime - No comment. He is an over the hill backup and to compound matters, he has a coach who has no confidence in his backup.

Defense

Myers - Very impressive for his age. I have noticed him not jumping up into the play as much and focusing more on his own end. This is a good thing from where I sit. I also noticed him being a little more physical in his own end, but I see nothing close to the mean streak that some were anticipating.

Tallinder - Contract year, drinking from the fountain of youth or something else, his play has been above average compared to the last two years.

Lydman - Has been hurt more than healthy. He has been average.

Butler - Started off good, but has tailed off badly. Is in the bottom of the league in +/- and seems to have confidence issues with the puck on his stick. I noticed the same problem with him last year.

Montador - Better skater than I thought. Willing to drop the gloves, but like Rivet is not very physical other than the fighting. Good signing!

Sekera - Not an offensive force, not a defensive force and now he is the odd man out.

Rivet - As I mentioned earlier this year, he is Drew Bledsoe on skates. Slow, prone to mistakes(see penalty taken during 5 minute PP last night) and not physical.

Paetsch - Okay in his few games. It might be worth a shot to dress him and play him on the point during the PP.

Forwards

Roy, Vanek, Pominville & Connolly(Fab 4) - More mature? HA! They are the same inconsistent players this year as they have been the past two years.

Stafford - Really impressed me early on. Played hard on the 4th line early on, got moved back up to the 1st line and continued to play well. Then, he went back to being the same old Stafford.

MacArthur - A duplicate so far of last year. Got off to a great start and then tailed off.

Hecht - Has played better defensively, but his offensive game is still MIA.

Grier - Has been very solid and appears to be a good influence in the locker room, but who knows what goes on behind closed doors.

Kennedy - Has been okay and played with more grit than I expected, but 1 goal and 5 points? Maybe another year in Portland could have benefited him.

Kaleta - He has had a few games where his physical play is not there, but for the most part, knows his game and sticks to it. Most amazing stat at this point...Kaleta has more ES points than Vanek!

Gaustad- I have complained in the past that he is overpaid, but he earns his pay for the most part. Is still prone to having games where he is MIA.

Ellis - He had a few games earlier this year where he was a forechecking force. Since then...JAG.

Mair - Send him to Portland and get him some playing time.

Ruff, McCutcheon, Patrick & Corsi - They just can't get these guys to commit to more consistent efforts. How much improvement have you seen out of players over the last 3 years? Not much is the correct answer for most except for Miller this year.

Regier - Major error by not obtaining a PP QB in the off season. How long does DR wait if the team continues to tread water, before shaking up the core?

In summary, if Miller can keep up his level of play, not get burned out along the way and the rest of the team can find a way to be inspired by his play, they should be able to make the playoffs. If not, it will be another year of missing the playoffs for the 6th time in 8 years.

Outstanding summary.

I'm looking for some life out of this fan base -- some anger, disgust, whatever. Take a cue from Bills Nation. Really, throw out two good years after the lockout, and the two franchises aren't that far apart in this decade.

Outstanding summary.

I'm looking for some life out of this fan base -- some anger, disgust, whatever. Take a cue from Bills Nation. Really, throw out two good years after the lockout, and the two franchises aren't that far apart in this decade.

I used to be angry often at this squad, however now I'm getting to the point where I can care less; I'm done with this team.

I just don't expect much anymore, and don't see how anyone else could feel differently. 2 full seasons after the departure of CD and DB, and a 1/4 through the third, it's clear this team cannot full fill its' mission statement of winning a Stanley Cup.

We continue to say, "something must change", but it never does. If this team is straddling 8th place going into February/March, I'd have to recommend blowing the organization up:

-Change: First, the organization would have to get serious. I'd start with a coaching change AND general manager change. Im not sure who I would recommend for a replacement coach, but for GM, Dale Tallon, Chicago's former GM, is still available. He'd be an excellent replacement for DR. Bring some fresh blood in, and see what it does. Let the players know that #%^$#! has hit the fan, and the organization is heading in a different direction. The message to the players: It's time to step up and play like your career depends on it.

-Adapt: Next, analyze how the players perform with a new coach. I'd recommend a neutral team game play strategy.Employ something in between the run and gun style of 06-07, and the defensive style we are employing now. It'd be a fair litmus test for the players. The players would have about 20 games to prove themselves. The new GM and coaching squad would bring a fresh perspective. They'll determine the future of each player on the squad. Hungry players stay, complacent players go. No one is safe.

-Grow: The new GM and coaching staff will meet up at season ends, analyze each player and make a call. Get on the phones, shop around, and see what can be done. Bring some new players into the fold, and begin on a new path.

Throughout this transition, I'd be most interested to see how Thomas Vanek plays. Would a coaching change affect his play positively? If the new Coaching-GM tandem determine he's part of the problem and not the solution, trade him. Edmonton may still want him. I'd be willing to trade any player on the team (short of Miller and Myers), even if the only thing in return would be picks. If we did end up trading substantial talent for pics, free agency, for the first time in recent memory for the Sabres, could be a realistic option.

In essence, as a fan, I'd be prepared for a full on roster make over. I wouldn't expect us to be out of the playoff hunt for too long (a season, or two at most). DR has done a decent job developing homegrown talent, meaning we do have players with some trade worth (unlike Toronto, another team preparing for a complete roster overhaul).

Outstanding summary.

Would like to oblige, but I got burnt out showing all of the above repeatedly the last two seasons.

As long as "the core" is intact, and Lindy's still here, nothing's gonna change.

I agree the only non-touchables should be Miller and Myers.

Everyone else is fair game, except Roy and Pominville who should be dealt ASAP. Connolly and Vanek come in right behind them.

I'm at the point now where they need to shake something up soon before they throw away another season. Miller is good enough right now to carry this team to the playoffs, but it would be nice to have more than that going for them.

Blue, your comment on Butler really stood out to me. It seems like he's been making some horribly timed pinches lately. He's giving up far too many odd man rushes lately and someone needs to straighten this out.

Breakdown...

Defense

I've noticed that as well, but I feel the opposite. He could develop into a premier offensive dman, but he will not if the coaching staff doesn't encourage him to jump up on the rush. Its crucial, particularly to our current game play style, that our defense is aggressive. They need to be making the aggressive pinches to keep the puck into the opposing zone, and they should jump up on the rush should the opportunity present itself. I'm not advocating irresponsible play (if our forwards notice a dman jumping up, one of the forwards should fall back). I'm advocating that Ruff encourages Myers to continue to grow and develop his offense, something every elite defenseman has.

We discussed this earlier in the season when asking, "Should Ruff coach Myers?".

I used to be angry often at this squad, however now I'm getting to the point where I can care less; I'm done with this team.

I just don't expect much anymore, and don't see how anyone else could feel differently. 2 full seasons after the departure of CD and DB, and a 1/4 through the third, it's clear this team cannot full fill its' mission statement of winning a Stanley Cup.

We continue to say, "something must change", but it never does. If this team is straddling 8th place going into February/March, I'd have to recommend blowing the organization up:

-Change: First, the organization would have to get serious. I'd start with a coaching change AND general manager change. Im not sure who I would recommend for a replacement coach, but for GM, Dale Tallon, Chicago's former GM, is still available. He'd be an excellent replacement for DR. Bring some fresh blood in, and see what it does. Let the players know that #%^$#! has hit the fan, and the organization is heading in a different direction. The message to the players: It's time to step up and play like your career depends on it.

-Adapt: Next, analyze how the players perform with a new coach. I'd recommend a neutral team game play strategy.Employ something in between the run and gun style of 06-07, and the defensive style we are employing now. It'd be a fair litmus test for the players. The players would have about 20 games to prove themselves. The new GM and coaching squad would bring a fresh perspective. They'll determine the future of each player on the squad. Hungry players stay, complacent players go. No one is safe.

-Grow: The new GM and coaching staff will meet up at season ends, analyze each player and make a call. Get on the phones, shop around, and see what can be done. Bring some new players into the fold, and begin on a new path.

Throughout this transition, I'd be most interested to see how Thomas Vanek plays. Would a coaching change affect his play positively? If the new Coaching-GM tandem determine he's part of the problem and not the solution, trade him. Edmonton may still want him. I'd be willing to trade any player on the team (short of Miller and Myers), even if the only thing in return would be picks. If we did end up trading substantial talent for pics, free agency, for the first time in recent memory for the Sabres, could be a realistic option.

In essence, as a fan, I'd be prepared for a full on roster make over. I wouldn't expect us to be out of the playoff hunt for too long (a season, or two at most). DR has done a decent job developing homegrown talent, meaning we do have players with some trade worth (unlike Toronto, another team preparing for a complete roster overhaul).

This answer hits the nail squarely on the head. I agree with the need for a change at Coach and GM. Russian players will not come to Buffalo and play so long is Lindy is behind the bench. And the sad thing is, we need scoring, not more defensively minded players. This current management team has the worst reputation out of all of the organizations, this has to change.

Change the leadership, and this team will get better.

Excellent analysis labatt. I aLso agree with those blaming primarily the top 2 lines. At this point, all 6 of those guys are disappointing.

Right over the cliff with the rest of the lemmings/buffalo/whatever, I see.

Wasn't it just recently that Lindy said he couldn't put a number on any of his lines. That the story was the need for balanced scoring? Spread out the ice time? Now, all of a sudden, "Top 6" is in our vocabulary, because Lindy and his media minions have put it there?

As usual, with this coach, whatever way the wind blows...

Wasn't it just recently that Lindy said he couldn't put a number on any of his lines. That the story was the need for balanced scoring? Spread out the ice time? Now, all of a sudden, "Top 6" is in our vocabulary, because Lindy and his media minions have put it there?

What is the point of this post? Are you seriously trying to twist lindy's words to imply that all 4 of the lines have equal scoring ability and reaponsibility? Really? Two days off of work and that's all you got?

What is the point of this post? Are you seriously trying to twist lindy's words to imply that all 4 of the lines have equal scoring ability and reaponsibility? Really? Two days off of work and that's all you got?

Yes. That was his message before his latest message.

Work is for suckers.

They're the top six because that is what they are, not what the media or Lindy Ruff says. Those six players are supposed to be our six most talented players, therefore, top six. This isn't some spin game, it's simple deduction. You're trying too hard.

They're the top six because that is what they are, not what the media or Lindy Ruff says. Those six players are supposed to be our six most talented players, therefore, top six. This isn't some spin game, it's simple deduction. You're trying too hard.

You're right. Derek Roy and Thomas Vanek didn't play nine or 10 minutes one night. Scoring wasn't balanced earlier in the season, nor was ice time. And Lindy never talked about having four strong lines all contributing.

Some of you try too hard to prove me wrong.

You're right. Derek Roy and Thomas Vanek didn't play nine or 10 minutes one night. Scoring wasn't balanced earlier in the season, nor was ice time. And Lindy never talked about having four strong lines all contributing.

Some of you try too hard to prove me wrong.

Thanks for completely missing the point.

Thanks for completely missing the point.

I think you did.

Earlier in the season, when things were going well and all four lines were scoring, Lindy was asked a question about his first and second lines, and he said he couldn't put a number on them. Ice time certainly has reflected that philosophy. The goals dried up, and he wanted to talk about something else I guess. The guy has shucked and jived his way to 12 years behind the bench here, so it's nothing new.

Maybe you shouldn't be third poster in and change what the discussion is. Was your point that Vanek, Roy, Pominville, Connolly, Stafford and MacArthur are the top six scoring forwards? I wouldn't disagree.

Archived