GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

7:00pm

This is a back-to-back game for both teams. Hopefully the Sabres do not come out flat after a good effort against the Islanders last night. The Sabres seem deeper and more methodical about their approach this season, so hopefully we won't have to watch the team run out of gas and blow the game, like what happened a lot last year. Although they've been very good so far, I've still got some hesitation to whether or not they can keep their feet on the gas pedal. Memories of the last few years still haunt me. Well, I'd start Lalime if I were Ruff. Give miller a break after getting dinged last night. Plus, you've gotta start the dude sometime and give the skaters confidence that he'll make the save. Also, hopefully Vanek will be a surprise starter. We shall see though!

Aside from the W, I can't say I was all too impressed with their performance yesterday. They can make up for it with a solid win tonight.

Let's Go Buffalo!

I didn't say this in this GDT, but i mentioned that I only saw the end of the game in the other GDT. I really can't comment on the effort in the 1st and 2nd periods last night, but they seemed to hold strong in the 3rd, which was THE major problem last year. I'd be very happy with a boring, play to win/not to impress, victory tonight.

I don't think we will win tonight no matter who is in goal. It's not the end of the world. I just think were due for a loss and Atlanta's pretty good. Should be close though. With that said, I would not play Lalime tonight. I want to put him in a game that we have a better chance of winning so that he has the confidence later on.

IF the Sabres lose tonight, I don't want to hear any BS about back to back games being the reason why they lost!

1. Both of the back to back games were at home.

2. They are 5 games into the year. I don't think fatigue should already be a factor.

Here is what I would like to see tonight...

1. Good games from Roy and Connolly.

2. Myers taking the man in his own zone and focusing more on play in his own end. I am not talking about bone jarring checks. Just take the man out along the boards. I'm nitpicking again. The kid has shown a lot for his first couple of weeks in the NHL. I don't thing anyone expected to see some of the offensive skills he has displayed.

3. Kaleta comes out and smokes a couple of Thrashers early on.

4. The Sabres as a team, both forwards and defensemen, play better in their own zone

I don't think we will win tonight no matter who is in goal. It's not the end of the world. I just think were due for a loss and Atlanta's pretty good. Should be close though. With that said, I would not play Lalime tonight. I want to put him in a game that we have a better chance of winning so that he has the confidence later on.

I wonder about the wisdom of the "play the backup against the patsy" approach.

Agreed, but you have to start him sometime, and now's the time. Miller faced 39 shots last night and was pretty active outside of the crease (by his standard). So don't start Lalime because it's a "patsy" (and Atlanta will give the Sabres a fight tonight; that team isn't as bad as some think), start him because Miller needs the rest and Lalime needs the start.

This makes no sense. Every team does this. How many times last year did we see the other team's backup goalie? You know why that was? Because in case you didn't notice, the Sabres were the patsy last year.

If you play either goalie against any team, then you have two number one goalies. We don't. Play the backup when you think you can get wins. It builds his confidence and the teams confidence in him when he gets in.

Tonight should be Lalime. No excuses, no second guessing... Tonight should be his game. The only teams capable of a Sabres buzz kill these last few years seem to be the Thrashers and the Senators.

Once Vanek is back, Ellis should sit in place of Paille. Paille is Ellis with more speed and better offense. The question is what to do with Mair. I dont see how you can adjust the lineup when winning 9/10 points. Thoughts?

Someone will break by then. These are the Sabres we're talking about..

This makes no sense. Every team does this. How many times last year did we see the other team's backup goalie? You know why that was? Because in case you didn't notice, the Sabres were the patsy last year.

If you play either goalie against any team, then you have two number one goalies. We don't. Play the backup when you think you can get wins. It builds his confidence and the teams confidence in him when he gets in.

How has this approach been working out?

I agree for the most part. I'm just speculating that the first time the Sabres go to Philly, it might be a very effective move to start Lalime.

The GDT from yesterday being commented on, this thread started, my hangover from last night still working itself out and I'm going again tonight.

Hockey benders. :thumbsup:

I wonder if Max gets boo'd?

He should get a standing ovation for getting the hell out.

7:00pm

This is a back-to-back game for both teams. Hopefully the Sabres do not come out flat after a good effort against the Islanders last night. The Sabres seem deeper and more methodical about their approach this season, so hopefully we won't have to watch the team run out of gas and blow the game, like what happened a lot last year. Although they've been very good so far, I've still got some hesitation to whether or not they can keep their feet on the gas pedal. Memories of the last few years still haunt me. Well, I'd start Lalime if I were Ruff. Give miller a break after getting dinged last night. Plus, you've gotta start the dude sometime and give the skaters confidence that he'll make the save. Also, hopefully Vanek will be a surprise starter. We shall see though!

Start Miller and keep the wins coming. It's early enough in the season to not begin the worries about wearing him down. Banking these October points may be critical down the road.

Start Miller and keep the wins coming. It's early enough in the season to not begin the worries about wearing him down. Banking these October points may be critical down the road.

Right. I think we'll see Lalime when Lindy thinks the Sabres have enough points to be comfortable in relation to the rest of the NE Division. If we can get 2 or 3 more points up on Ottawa, Lalime gets a start.

He should get a standing ovation for getting the hell out.

Max might have been the most popular Sabre over the course of all those years. I don't think I ever remember him being booed. I don't see why it should start tonight.

How do you define a crowd booing anyway? Fifty leather lungs can make it sound like an entire arena is booing. I've always thought if 18,690 people decided to boo at once, it would be deafening. I'd ask what 18,690 people cheering a goal would sound like if it ever happened in Buffalo. They showed the crowd last night after a goal, and I bet 75% of the people were sitting like lumps.

I can't understand booing a player, especially one that was let go.. I was there opening night, outside of the initial cheering when the players were announced, the place was a tomb. I couldn't believe how quiet the game is..

Lalime in - Miller sits

Vanek out as well.

Game 6, perfect time to play the backup goalie after back to back games.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2009/10/lalime-to-get-first-start-of-season-tonight-vanek-out-again.html

Excellent, everyone here looking for Lalime to start gets their wish, and I don't have to be a pessimist about it anymore. B-)

Lalime in - Miller sits

Vanek out as well.

Game 6, perfect time to play the backup goalie after back to back games.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2009/10/lalime-to-get-first-start-of-season-tonight-vanek-out-again.html

What is perfect about it? The team has had plenty of days off between games. To risk the points is foolish. Hopefully we won't be counting all the lost points at the end of the year trying to find the two that could have gotten them into the playoffs. If Lalime plays like Lalime I'll be putting a star next to this game as two wasted points.I would much rather see the Sabres play with a extra-attacker for 60 minutes.

Archived