[OT ] How F'd up is.............

deluca67

no no no. There are certain elements of the opposition to his policies that are racist, pictures of him as an african tribesman?? Being against his policies doesnt make you racist there are legitimate beefs. But remarks like halfrican, magic negroe, slavery wasnt bad, those arent policy disagreements.

Repeating the same things over and over doesn't make them right or accurate. Rush addressed many of these accusations on his show yesterday and flat out denied them (all but two)and challenged anybody including the author of the book "quoting" him to substantiate them. The two he didn't deny were the McNabb comments and the magic negroe deal. The magic negroe deal was a parody tune based on an article in the LA Times praising Obama that was written by a liberal columnist.

If I'm in my car during the time he's on air I listen to him. He's as far from a racist as you can be. He can be bombastic and not politically correct, but he's no racist nor is he divisive. He's conservative and despises the direction this country appears to be headed.

Interesting.

I think you targeted the wrong person with that jab. Who are the real koolaid drinkers here?

post-1-12556361687502_thumb.jpg

Let's see, you have a number of people here, CNN, and numerous "journalists" across the nation quoting a hoax as the truth. Why are the doing that NB? Are they drinking the anti-Limbaugh KoolAid? Here's one:

http://www.stltoday....6B?OpenDocument

What is their defense? Surely it goes along the lines of, "Well, it SOUNDS like something he would say." That would be the KoolAid here my friend. The KoolAid served by his political enemies to make millions of people, who never listened one second to anything he had to say, have the impression that this is standard Limbaugh dialog.

Funny, I listened to him all the time from '91-'99. And 10 years later, I read those fake quotes and IMMEDIATELY knew something was wrong. But, whether I agree with him or not - I actually listened to him. Which puts me on firmer ground than CNN and the St. Louis Dispatch apparently.

Deny and bait, then switch arguments... you sure you aren't a politician... Now there is an insult! :thumbsup:

Deny and bait, then switch arguments... you sure you aren't a politician... Now there is an insult! :thumbsup:

no, there is no denial, nor bait and switching.

My point is that there is a chorus of Limbaugh bashers, armed with ignorance of the man and his show, ready to display their righteous indignation over fictitious quotes and attitudes. I fail to see how these people, who are so vocal in their distaste for Limbaugh, cannot see the irony the situation. Hate-filled lies are being told and retold here. Are you convinced it is Rush?

It is clear that most of you have never listened to Rush.

and as for being a racist, yeah he's such a racist that he chose Clarence Thomas to preside over his private ceremony wedding. He's such a racist that he routinely has black conservatives such as Walter Williams and Thomas Sowell on his show and praises them to no end for their intellectual contributions to the conservative movement. <_< I guess these guys are just too dumb to see the real Rush. :rolleyes:

I guess if an unsubstantiated smear campaign is your cup of tea - just keep on chatting. Nothing like around inciteful words to combat the meanie you claim is inciteful.

This. A lot of the issue stems from his comment on McNabb and how the media badly wants a successful black quarterback, and that he is over rated. You know what? At the time he was overrated, and attracted more attention than players putting up similar numbers. Though I understand its kind of a taboo subject on tv. The man isn't a racist and really the remarks he said weren't racist either.

look it up yourself.

16,000 hours talking live on politics and this is what defines him as a racist? Someone couldn't come up with 10 items he actually said over the course of 16,000 hours in 21 years?

Whatever.

The way you responded I had thought you already had.

Limbaugh stopped talking politics years ago. Somewhere between the Bush Sr and Clinton.

After 20+ years working in the media, you will find no bigger cynic than myself. I assure you that the lens I see things through is purely my own because of that.

I am not going to feel sorry for him for any of the critism he gets. It's how he makes his money and he knows it. He knows that the day he stops pissing people off is the day he no longer has a show. I'm glad he can't get a team in the NFL, but if he does eventually get one,... oh well.

^^ This.

All opinions aside, this is the very reason he was told "nevermind". He drew criticism because he was controversial. That tends to draw negative attention, the kind of negative attention others aren't interested in, wrong or right. There are a lot of people who have become tired of Rush, for whatever reason. Unfortunately, it was enough people to persuade the other partners to dump him for fear of being blocked out of the NFL.

It was a smart business decision, regardless of personal feelings toward Rush.

^^ This.

All opinions aside, this is the very reason he was told "nevermind". He drew criticism because he was controversial. That tends to draw negative attention, the kind of negative attention others aren't interested in, wrong or right. There are a lot of people who have become tired of Rush, for whatever reason. Unfortunately, it was enough people to persuade the other partners to dump him for fear of being blocked out of the NFL.

It was a smart business decision, regardless of personal feelings toward Rush.

I'm fine with that...

Rush Limbaugh when a group of rich old white men reject him? That's like Al Sharpton being kicked out of the NAACP.

I can only imagine how devastating it was after spending a good portion of his adult life coddling 'Rich White America' and the ideals that this country only belongs to them. He may be on the phone at this moment calling his maid looking to score some "blues." :w00t:

Interesting that you would bring up two men who can both be incendiary in their comments in the same paragraph. Even more interesting (and at the same time enraged) that Sharpton led a charge to oppose Limbaugh's bid as part of the ownership group to buy the Rams.

Well, since we're all divided over Rush Limbaugh, let's call out Al Sharpton for not doing a da*n thing to encourage the people he claims to represent to improve their own circumstances. If people are going to call out Rush for being a hypocrite, the same accolade belongs to "Rev. Al". As they say in Murphy's Laws of Combat:"Tracers work both ways."

I'm with SDS and sizzlemeister on this thread...

The way I look at it, it's not so much his political beliefs that's the problem with the owners, as I guarantee almost every single owner of an NFL team is a Republican and probably to a large extent agree with Limbaugh's ideals. Of course they'd be since they are all rich and looking for their taxes to be reduced. I'd even say Jim Irsay, himself, might have Republican leanings as well. But at the end of the day, you can't have a guy in the NFL ownership that is going to say things that are divisive and interpreted to be racist by a league of players in which the overwhelming majority of players are minorities. It's a PR nightmare. Hell, even I'm a big free market economics guy and tend to agree with a few (emphasis on a few, but certainly not all) of the things he speaks about, and I wouldn't want Limbaugh owning a team because what he says and his rhetoric is hurtful whether that is his intention or not. Perception is reality and the reality is that most players in the NFL perceive him to be a racist. You can't have a racist owning an NFL team, whether real or perceived.

At the same time, I don't believe sports is a platform to spout your political beliefs anyway, and hence, I'd be wary of guys on the left becoming owners of NFL football teams as well. Frankly, I don't want any politician or political commentator owning a sports team because politics and sports should not mix. If Al Franken became part of an ownership group to own the Vikings, I would want the NFL to accept him either. Politics and sports should not mix in my opinion.

Quintessential Jacka$$

That's exactly it. I don't know the political beliefs of any of the 32 NFL team owners, because they've largely kept them to themselves. Even a politically active sports team owner, such as Golisano, has the sense not to make incendiary remarks (if he even has the beliefs that would cause him to make such remarks).

Rush is much more of a football fan than he is a hockey fan. However, I can see it now. If OSP decided to sell the Sabres and Rush bought the team, the city of Buffalo would riot (and that's extremely unfortunately).

Here's the long of it and the short of it: critical thinking skills are quickly disappearing from American society. From the times that I've listened to Rush Limbaugh, I may not agree with his somewhat caustically bombastic approach to things - but he does make me think. The sad truth is that rhetoric gets passed off as fact these days, regardless of what the REAL FACTS have to say to refute the smarmy prevaricators.

Interesting that you would bring up two men who can both be incendiary in their comments in the same paragraph. Even more interesting (and at the same time enraged) that Sharpton led a charge to oppose Limbaugh's bid as part of the ownership group to buy the Rams.

Well, since we're all divided over Rush Limbaugh, let's call out Al Sharpton for not doing a da*n thing to encourage the people he claims to represent to improve their own circumstances. If people are going to call out Rush for being a hypocrite, the same accolade belongs to "Rev. Al". As they say in Murphy's Laws of Combat:"Tracers work both ways."

I'm with SDS and sizzlemeister on this thread...

Go ahead and call him out; and frankly, you're not off base. But Sharpton is not trying to buy an NFL team. This has little to do with the issue at hand.

Your latest post--about rhetoric being passed off as fact--that's Rush Limbaugh in a nutshell (and it's some leftist types, as well).

Stop being fanboys about your radio hero, and think about the things he's said and the effects on people that those remarks might have, even if you don't agree that those effects were intended. Would you really want your business represented by someone like that? Especially if your business had such a diverse (and I'm not just talking about race, here) following? This isn't about ideology; it's about one person.

The man is polarizing. No doubt about that. The NFL doesn't want polarizing. There's nothing else to say. And I note that those of you who seem to favor Mr. Limbaugh's bid to become an NFL owner, have had little response to what I've written in this thread, and a lot of responses directed towards Al Sharpton and the "Democrat Underground," who (to my knowledge) are not trying to buy NFL teams.

The man is polarizing. No doubt about that. The NFL doesn't want polarizing. There's nothing else to say. And I note that those of you who seem to favor Mr. Limbaugh's bid to become an NFL owner, have had little response to what I've written in this thread, and a lot of responses directed towards Al Sharpton and the "Democrat Underground," who (to my knowledge) are not trying to buy NFL teams.

True, they're not. However, Sharpton had a direct hand in opposing Rush's involvement to buy a team.

It would have been one thing for Sharpton to keep his mouth shut, but we all know that he's never one to pass up a "good" opportunity when he sees one.

I'm sorry Crosschecking. Although I have no respect whatsoever for the belief itself, I do respect your right to believe whatever you wish regardless of the overwhelming evidence against it. But as hard as I try, I'm finding it impossible to resist pointing out the irony of a young-earth creationist lamenting the lack of critical thinking skills in our society.

True, they're not. However, Sharpton had a direct hand in opposing Rush's involvement to buy a team.

It would have been one thing for Sharpton to keep his mouth shut, but we all know that he's never one to pass up a "good" opportunity when he sees one.

Al Sharpton is Rush Limbaugh. They're both hate/fear mongers who's voices have been given far too much credibility.

I tried to find a topic to file this story under; I think this fits. How F'd up is....Ronan Tynan making Jewish jokes?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs/2009/news/story?id=4572196

McGillion said Friday a woman sent an e-mail to a team official this week claiming Tynan made the remark while the woman was being shown an apartment in the building where he lives.

The real estate agent reportedly said to Tynan, "They are not Red Sox fans." He responded: "As long as they're not Jewish."

In an e-mail to the AP, Tynan said he'd previously spoken to the real estate agent about two Jewish women who had looked at the apartment and "how scary for them it would be for living next to me with my music and singing."

These remarks cost Tynan his gig with the Yankees to sing "God Bless America" during the 7th inning stretch. I wonder if the Sabres will follow up with a similar penalty? The details are kind of sketchy but this was definitely in bad taste.

I tried to find a topic to file this story under; I think this fits. How F'd up is....Ronan Tynan making Jewish jokes?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs/2009/news/story?id=4572196

These remarks cost Tynan his gig with the Yankees to sing "God Bless America" during the 7th inning stretch. I wonder if the Sabres will follow up with a similar penalty. The details are kind of sketchy but this was definitely in bad taste.

I think you have seen the last of Tynan at Yankees and Sabres games. My guess is that he is on the radar of every Jewish organization in the country and they will be on the lookout for him.

I normally try to avoid commenting on anything political in nature on this board (we're supposed to be talking about Sabres hockey - if I want politics, I'll go somewhere else) but this has been a good thoughtful debate - better than the usual insult slinging & repeating of the party line that both sides do at most online venues.

I'd like to add the to the discussion by pointing out what happened on the "O'Reilly Factor" last week - Juan Williams (black guy) was debating another black guy (not sure what his credentials were).

My link

Anyway, Juan was supporting Limbaugh and the other guy was going on about how awful racially divisive speech is but concludes the interview by telling Juan that: "You can go back to the porch, Juan. You can go back. It's OK."

If that's not saying something racially insensitive and divisive, then I'm at a loss for what is. To me, really shows a disconnect between having a logical argument and simply seeing who can hurl the greater vehemence and see if it gets the desired result in the politically correct world of today.

I think another interesting debate was between Stephen A Smith and the Executive Director of the New York Civil Rights, Michael Meyers...

I'd never heard of Meyers before and am guilty of stereotyping when based on his appearance and the name of his group, I automatically expected him to attack Limbaugh. So, it was extremely surprising and refreshing to hear Meyers go after Sharpton & Jesse Jackson - agreeing with Limbaugh that they are "race hustlers" and his jist was more or less that attacking Limbaugh takes away from focusing on things that truly are racist in nature.

My link

Here's a guy who grew up and has worked his whole life in the center of the issue and if he says Limbaugh isn't a racist then I'm going to go with his expert first hand call.

For the record, I have no problem with viewpoints and actions of any sort as long as those espousing them have thought through the arguments and come to a logical reason for their convictions. What I can't stand is herd mentality when a bunch of sheeple on the far right or the far left engage their mouths & not their brains and attack without truth. I have a real problem with so called professional journalists who have a bully pulpit and are supposed to be "neutral" in their commentary, constantly slanting what they call news to fit an agenda (whether it's MSNBC or FoxNews".

I think you have seen the last of Tynan at Yankees and Sabres games. My guess is that he is on the radar of every Jewish organization in the country and they will be on the lookout for him.

Do you think he's finished as a performer at HSBC Arena too? That would be a shame as he's apologized to the offended NYU Doctor, made a donation to her favorite charity (providing free medical care at NYU for children) and offered to give a free concert to support it as well.

If he's not forgiven then it's another example to me of a double standard by the speech police and the mainstream media. I'm at a loss to even begin to cite examples but there are so many celebrities and liberal politicians who are given a pass when they do something wrong (Chris Brown, Charlie Rangle, Timothy Geithner) but even a poor joke made in private by a guy like Tynan (in effect saying he'd rather live next to a Red Sox fan than someone who's Jewish) leads to a media frenzy that could destroy his career.

For the record, I have no problem with viewpoints and actions of any sort as long as those espousing them have thought through the arguments and come to a logical reason for their convictions.

Well said, unfortunately these type of people make up about 20% of the electorate

What I can't stand is herd mentality when a bunch of sheeple on the far right or the far left engage their mouths & not their brains and attack without truth. I have a real problem with so called professional journalists who have a bully pulpit and are supposed to be "neutral" in their commentary, constantly slanting what they call news to fit an agenda (whether it's MSNBC or FoxNews".

And here you describe the other 80%. Until the vast majority of people come to the realization that republicans and democrats are more the same than they are different, then we will continue to have the "it's only bad when the other side does it" mentality dominating the political landscape.

Archived