[OT] Unbelievable goal by 9 year old!

LabattBlue

I agree the goalie makes that clip ... his reaction is great ... it's an impressive shot but it's really not hockey .... not that it was supposed to be, it looks like the equivilent of a dunk contest, so I am not ripping the kid ... but I understand the goalie being kinda pissed ... like "What am I supposed to do with THAT?!?"

that was insanely creative

not really.

It's called the "Michigan" and it has been around for years. Kids waste hours and hours of expensive ice time practicing that crap. It would have been more impressive if the goalie skated after him and crossed checked him for being a db.

Please let's not become as bad as the comments underneath the video on the linked page.

HE'S NINE FREAKING YEARS OLD!! LIGHTEN UP AND ENJOY THE GAME OF HOCKEY AND ALL IT BRINGS US!

Damn, people will piss on anyone, even a 9 year old hockey stud.

BTW, did I say great shot? It was! I love it when the kids show off how talented they are. Always gives me hope for the future.

Please let's not become as bad as the comments underneath the video on the linked page.

HE'S NINE FREAKING YEARS OLD!! LIGHTEN UP AND ENJOY THE GAME OF HOCKEY AND ALL IT BRINGS US!

Damn, people will piss on anyone, even a 9 year old hockey stud.

BTW, did I say great shot? It was! I love it when the kids show off how talented they are. Always gives me hope for the future.

You betcha.

Do you realize how much time he wasted performing a trick that has zero value and just might get him punched in the face someday? That move has as much relation to hockey as a Peeps do to real food. There is nothing there that qualifies him as a stud.

The trick isn't really all that difficult (there isn't much skill involved) - but it does take countless hours of @#$#%&! off at the rink to do it right. Most of the coaches I know would shoot a puck at that kid if they caught him doing that in practice.

And while I'm being a real downer on this,let me add that all this video does is encourage more kids to waste more time at the rink not playing hockey and performing dog and pony tricks.

You betcha.

Do you realize how much time he wasted performing a trick that has zero value and just might get him punched in the face someday? That move has as much relation to hockey as a Peeps do to real food. There is nothing there that qualifies him as a stud.

The trick isn't really all that difficult (there isn't much skill involved) - but it does take countless hours of @#$#%&! off at the rink to do it right. Most of the coaches I know would shoot a puck at that kid if they caught him doing that in practice.

And while I'm being a real downer on this,let me add that all this video does is encourage more kids to waste more time at the rink not playing hockey and performing dog and pony tricks.

As a musician, this is exactly how I feel about the video games Guitar Hero and Rock Band. If kids practiced as much time on real instruments as they do on these stupid games they would be unbelievable musicians.

As a musician, this is exactly how I feel about the video games Guitar Hero and Rock Band. If kids practiced as much time on real instruments as they do on these stupid games they would be unbelievable musicians.

Excellent comparison!

However, I think the Michigan is even worse than that. Coaches give these kids free time to practice skills and then they go do this stuff like this.

To complete your analogy. That would be like paying a music teacher $1000's and whenever the kids were told to practice while at the teacher's studio - they popped in GH and played that instead.

You betcha.

Did you read the story? The kid is nine, but plays in a league of 12 year olds.

Perhaps you don't understand talent - or exceptional children - but they bore easily outperforming their peers all of the time. And when they're bored, they work on stuff like this.

For all you know the kid could have worked on it for a few days, excited about competing in the shootout.

I might add that the "value" of the trick is relative. This kid, who already plays significantly above his age level, just bought himself far and away more attention than most other kids listening to their miserable coaches harp on them for hitting the posts all of the time. Sports being what they are, I wouldn't doubt that this kid's info is already in many scouts' databases - "check up on him in five years".

Kids' fault, or parents' fault?

You betcha.

I still think it was creative. I'll take your point it wasn't innovative. First time I have seen it. I still like it... :nana: Isn't that child abuse?

I might add that the "value" of the trick is relative. This kid, who already plays significantly above his age level, just bought himself far and away more attention than most other kids listening to their miserable coaches harp on them for hitting the posts all of the time. Sports being what they are, I wouldn't doubt that this kid's info is already in many scouts' databases - "check up on him in five years".

I was willing to see your side until the bold part ... you can't have it both ways ... is it a 9-year old having fun (which is fine) or is it a career decision by a supposed prodigy just to gain attention? If you are going to bring that into the argument, then you have to acknowledge SDS' point that this kind of stuff is not going to help him be a better hockey player.

Look up Rob Schremp on YouTube and check out the insane stuff he does in shootouts and skills competitions. Of course, they are all from the AHL ... he is 24 years old and has played 10 whole NHL games while playing three full seasons in the minors ... where is is a -41 over the last two seasons. He gets all kind of YouTube attention but his career is going nowhere ...

Just sayin' ... I'll agree if you want to tell me to leave the kid alone, he's 9 and having fun ... but now you are also bringing his career prospects into it, and that 10 seconds of hot dogging isn't doing a damn thing for them.

that was insanely creative

I beg to differ.

it's an impressive shot but it's really not hockey

Exactly.

It's a hot dog play, but could an NHL'er have enough time to do that in a real game? Maybe in a shootout?

No, and if some jackass tried it, he'd have 5 sticks rammed up his ass!

It would have been more impressive if the goalie skated after him and crossed checked him for being a db.

There is a reason NHLers don't do #%^$#! like that. First, they would be benched. Second, they would get their head ripped right the #%^$#! off.

That wasn't hockey.

...is encourage more kids to waste more time at the rink not playing hockey and performing dog and pony tricks.

Sad but true.

"check up on him in five years".

That will be his life long claim to fame. No way that db amounts to anything.

It's a 9 year old kid, it wasn't done during a game and if it is so easy to do, there would be videos of hundreds of kids doing it. Nobody is claiming that he will be the next Gretzky because of this.

Give the kid a break. Douchebag? Seriously?

go to youtube and type in "Michigan Hockey Move" although I'm not sure every kid knows the actual name or names their videos correctly for you to search on it. Trust me - there are/have been plenty of them. My kid is/was in hockey for two years and I saw countless kids trying it in stick and pucks and before pick-ups.

Here is the "trick" on dry land. All you do is tip the puck on edge and scoop. So, while it isn't difficult, it does take a lot of time-wasting practice to do it while gliding on ice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIGrwjPVuLw

as for being a db...? Read throught this thread back in 2007 just to let you know how prevalent my position is:

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35859

Archived