[OT] Unbelievable goal by 9 year old!

LabattBlue

as for being a db...? Read throught this thread back in 2007 just to let you know how prevalent m position is:

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35859

This thread is about kids who have tried this in a game. What does that have to do with a 9 year old who does it in some sort of skills competition? I also don't understand...is it "easy" to do or does it require countless hours of "wasted" ice time?

What does that have to do with a 9 year old who does it in some sort of skills competition?

Regardless, the kid is basically saying, I learned this cool db move that has nothing to do with hockey, in a hockey skills competition. Why not put on a leotard, do a triple sow cow and shoot the puck?

This thread is about kids who have tried this in a game. What does that have to do with a 9 year old who does it in some sort of skills competition? I also don't understand...is it "easy" to do or does it require countless hours of "wasted" ice time?

the point was simply that many hockey players view that trick in a very, very negative light. That's all. He might just find himself on the business end of crosscheck to the head if he does that with the wrong guy on the ice.

There are tons of easy things to do that require a lot of time to get the muscle memory down.

Well, it's pretty much like a slam dunk contest ... no one claims it is basketball when a guy dunks two balls ... but this is a little different in that it's a competition for the goalie too, and the kid is basically showing him up ....But hey, like i said, I'll give a 9-year old a pass to a point ...

I don't get why some of you are taking this so seriously. Obviously, the Michigan move isn't real hockey. But neither is the shootout.

If this was in the context of a real game, then the kid would be a hot dog. But this event was just for fun, so what's the big deal?

Are all the NHL players who participated in last year's trick shot contest at the All Star Game db's?

I thought the point of sports was entertainment? I thought entertainment was a form of fun? I had fun watching it even though there is little to no hockey relevance. What is the big deal?

If I could do that would I in my league? Hell yeah.

Would I scold my son if he did that in his 12 yr old hockey league? No.

Would I scold my son if he hot dogged during a game and was rude and disrespectful? Yes.

Let the kid have fun and play. I think ya'll just jealous.

I was willing to see your side until the bold part ... you can't have it both ways ... is it a 9-year old having fun (which is fine) or is it a career decision by a supposed prodigy just to gain attention? If you are going to bring that into the argument, then you have to acknowledge SDS' point that this kind of stuff is not going to help him be a better hockey player.

There is no both ways to my argument. The kid was probably excited to be there and wanted to show off - ya know, have fun. As an unintentional consequence, he happened to be recorded and put on national sports sites and is now the subject of message board discussions in at least two countries. The latter part, the video aspect, I'm sure he didn't plan on; he is only nine after all.

To suggest the kid had any intention other than to have fun is ridiculous. He is not OZ and does not have supreme control over the people and environment around him - therefore he is not responsible for being recorded, and posted on the internet, and the kid is not responsible for all of the comments being made about him.

The funny thing is that, just like most other 9 year olds, that kid probably still can't lift an actual shot. That pretty much backs up the ideas SDS has. If he can't lift a shot and is the typical little kid hockey player who follows the puck everywhere it goes, why can he do something like that?

the point was simply that many hockey players view that trick in a very, very negative light. That's all. He might just find himself on the business end of crosscheck to the head if he does that with the wrong guy on the ice.

There are tons of easy things to do that require a lot of time to get the muscle memory down.

What hockey players view this in a very very negative light? Who gives a crap, Ovechkin and countless other players do this every skills competition. It's something everyone who spends enough time with a stick and puck does. He didn't waste his time trying it during a game, it was just a stupid little competition give the kid a break. Also, I don't know any coaches that would rip a kid if they caught him practicing picking it up in practice. Half the time with puck drills you are standing in line waiting to go anyway. The last five minutes of practice if they aren't used for sprints, and especially little kids, are given to dumb shootout competitions and other fun things to keep 9 year olds interested and so their last memory of the practice isn't boring circle drills perfecting their cross overs or sprinting back and forth line to line.

You could even practice this at home with a net and a shooting pad/sheet...

He wasn't hot dogging in a game, and he's nine years old. I don't know many 9 year olds that can do that... so I give the little guy credit.

There is no both ways to my argument. The kid was probably excited to be there and wanted to show off - ya know, have fun. As an unintentional consequence, he happened to be recorded and put on national sports sites and is now the subject of message board discussions in at least two countries. The latter part, the video aspect, I'm sure he didn't plan on; he is only nine after all.

To suggest the kid had any intention other than to have fun is ridiculous. He is not OZ and does not have supreme control over the people and environment around him - therefore he is not responsible for being recorded, and posted on the internet, and the kid is not responsible for all of the comments being made about him.

I would agree except that you are the one that suggested it by claiming it had "value" as part of your defense. Like I said in my original response to you, I agree it's just a nine-year old having fun, but then you veered off and tried to defend it's "value" in the form of attention ... which played into SDS' argument that hockey people ind of frown on that stuff.

The funny thing is that, just like most other 9 year olds, that kid probably still can't lift an actual shot. That pretty much backs up the ideas SDS has. If he can't lift a shot and is the typical little kid hockey player who follows the puck everywhere it goes, why can he do something like that?

This is pure speculation. If he is in squirts (9 and 10) he can probably lift the puck and the kids are well on their way to positional hockey.

I would agree except that you are the one that suggested it by claiming it had "value" as part of your defense. Like I said in my original response to you, I agree it's just a nine-year old having fun, but then you veered off and tried to defend it's "value" in the form of attention ... which played into SDS' argument that hockey people ind of frown on that stuff.

I said the value is relative. You have a habit of twisting words. What may SEEM of no value to one person ("he wasted time practicing that move" or "this chair is junk") may BE of value to someone else ("I need someone who can do that" or "that chair would be perfect with some paint").

I don't get why some of you are taking this so seriously. Obviously, the Michigan move isn't real hockey. But neither is the shootout.

If this was in the context of a real game, then the kid would be a hot dog. But this event was just for fun, so what's the big deal?

Are all the NHL players who participated in last year's trick shot contest at the All Star Game db's?

Great post. All you haters need to calm down. Yeesh, between this and the Rush Limbaugh thread, did everyone get their cheerios pissed in this week?

I can't speak for others, but I was just addressing some of the responses to this video.

1. Although it is a ton of fun to watch if you have never seen it before, I wanted to let everyone know that it was not new by any means and that kids practice this move at every rink in every city. Therefore, it is no longer really considered unbelievable or creative.

2. Regardless of where he did this, I provided the background that there are tons of players who are becoming increasingly hostile to this particular move - to the point that if he performed this at the wrong time he could get hurt by another disapproving player.

3. That the attention this receives on the internet causes problems on the ice with coaches trying to teach real hockey, while kids are trying to master a non-skill.

4. The time on the ice spent doing that could be spent better, while still having fun. Heck, a good game of tag is infinitely more beneficial than this.

That sums up my bird's eye policy statement on the Michigan.

1. Although it is a ton of fun to watch if you have never seen it before, I wanted to let everyone know that it was not new by any means and that kids practice this move at every rink in every city. Therefore, it is no longer really considered unbelievable or creative.

Especially since there are videos of two different kids doing this move circulating around the internet today.

I said the value is relative. You have a habit of twisting words. What may SEEM of no value to one person ("he wasted time practicing that move" or "this chair is junk") may BE of value to someone else ("I need someone who can do that" or "that chair would be perfect with some paint").

I have a lot of bad habits. Latest among them is going back and forth with you on this. Nevermind.

Archived