[OT] Unbelievable goal by 9 year old!

LabattBlue

The funny thing is that, just like most other 9 year olds, that kid probably still can't lift an actual shot. That pretty much backs up the ideas SDS has. If he can't lift a shot and is the typical little kid hockey player who follows the puck everywhere it goes, why can he do something like that?

I have a nine year old (okay, he turned 10 5 days ago). He and his team mates have been lifting the puck for years, as has all the competition. Most kids who are decent skaters and reasonably coordinated can lift it consistently at about age seven. At the squirt level he plays at, there are some kids that are rifling the puck on net from the blue line.

This was some kind of 1 vs. 1 skills competition, so the venue was appropriate for the move. If he tried that move in a game he would be picking his teeth up off the ice, and his coach wouldn't even complain. He'd be sitting at the end of the bench for a week. Even if you can show up another team like that, you don't do it. I agree with SDS or whoever it was that made the point about wasting practice time on a move that has no business in an actual hockey game. If he wants to waste his parents money doing that #%^$#! at an open skate, so be it.

What is more impressive than the move is that he actually put the shot on net. Most go flying over the glass.

Nothing creative about it, its been around forever, although I never heard it referred to as the Michigan.

They interviewed the kid on sportscenter and he said that he wants to try to do it in a real game. So does that change anyone's opinion on the matter?

yes. If he actually tries it , it means he, his coach and his parents (notice the correct use of commas) are all db's. And I don't mean databases.

They interviewed the kid on sportscenter and he said that he wants to try to do it in a real game. So does that change anyone's opinion on the matter?

On a breakaway or into the teeth of the d. If it's a breakaway, coach ain't going to be to happy. It there are defensemen there, he'll get what is coming to him.

Nope.

I'm fascinated by all you hockey purists.. You'd have thunk he committed grand larceny by the reaction on this board.

It just goes to show you how little there is to complain about right now with the Sabres when the targets on this board are Rush Limbaugh and a NINE YEAR OLD boy's trick in an exhibition game.

On a breakaway or into the teeth of the d. If it's a breakaway, coach ain't going to be to happy. It there are defensemen there, he'll get what is coming to him.

What's he gonna get? You want nine-year-olds to goon it up? This suggestion, a few times in this thread, is pretty pathetic.

What's he gonna get? You want nine-year-olds to goon it up? This suggestion, a few times in this thread, is pretty pathetic.

No, at what age do the leagues "allow" fighting? I was suggesting a clean body check because he is exposing himself pretty blatantly.

No, at what age do the leagues "allow" fighting? I was suggesting a clean body check because he is exposing himself pretty blatantly.

No fighting in youth hockey at all. USA Hockey won't allow it. Some junior leagues that are not USA Hockey Tournament bound leagues do allow it. See Major Junior Hockey in Canada.

A move like this has absolutely no place in a real hockey game. Its the equivalent of a football player who caught a long bomb standing on the one inch line taunting the defense until they get close, and then stepping into the end zone.

It is also such a low percentage play that it would be ridiculous to attempt in a game situation. As a hockey parent, if one of my kids tried it, he would be watching in the stands for at least a week.

Nope.

I'm fascinated by all you hockey purists.. You'd have thunk he committed grand larceny by the reaction on this board.

It just goes to show you how little there is to complain about right now with the Sabres when the targets on this board are Rush Limbaugh and a NINE YEAR OLD boy's trick in an exhibition game.

I just hate the fact that espn is all over this, but they can't be bothered with real hockey. The kid got an actual interview during an afternoon sportscenter. When was the last time any NHL player got an in studio inverview on that station?

I just hate the fact that espn is all over this, but they can't be bothered with real hockey. The kid got an actual interview during an afternoon sportscenter. When was the last time any NHL player got an in studio inverview on that station?

Look on the bright side! Maybe that story will turn a whole new generation on to the great game of hockey :thumbsup:

Look on the bright side! Maybe that story will turn a whole new generation on to the great game of hockey :thumbsup:

Yeah, a generation of little db's practicing everything but actual hockey. The NHL will be well on it's way to turning itself into the NBA or the NFL.

Yeah, a generation of little db's practicing everything but actual hockey. The NHL will be well on it's way to turning itself into the NBA or the NFL.

My thoughts exactly with that mini-ESPN rant. The last thing I want to see is the NHL turned into that constant slam dunk competition known as the NBA.

why is that a bad thing? More TV...more exposure...more fans? Why is that bad? do we want to keep our game in our back pockets?

They say all media exposure is good but do we want the next little Gretzky to turn into the next T.O.

That's the other thing, they keep dropping quotes like "this kid might be better than Crosby". Sidney Crosby was already on the radar in Canada at age 9. This kid will be forgotten by next week.

Okay, I've done my 15 minutes of research. The kid tells some talk show blow hard that his dad yelled at him to keep practicing the move when he couldn't quite get it down. Boo little db's dad! Alright, the kid seems humble enough but his dad, with that awesome Boston accent, blows chunks.

Of all the videos I've watched, the thing that bothers me the most is how "amazed" adults are by this move. Another video that was referenced earlier in the thread where a kid actually does it in a game, was accompanied by the announcer stating that NHL players couldn't do that move. I bet 95% could, but they have better things to work on, like hockey skills.

Okay, I've done my 15 minutes of research. The kid tells some talk show blow hard that his dad yelled at him to keep practicing the move when he couldn't quite get it down. Boo little db's dad! Alright, the kid seems humble enough but his dad, with that awesome Boston accent, blows chunks.

I'll admit to only seeing the last half of the interview, but the whole way through, the father came across as very arrogant. The look on his face through the whole thing painted a very clear picture.

Great post. All you haters need to calm down. Yeesh, between this and the Rush Limbaugh thread, did everyone get their cheerios pissed in this week?

My appetite's ruined now. Thanks. <_<

Just for that, your penalty is to eat a plateful of haggis.

I'll admit to only seeing the last half of the interview, but the whole way through, the father came across as very arrogant. The look on his face through the whole thing painted a very clear picture.

Let's see how long he lasts with an attitude like that out where I live. I wouldn't do it, but I know of some people who'd muzzle him in a heartbeat.

Archived