The Sabres new "system"

inkman

GAP CONTROL.docTHANK BARRY TROTZ FOR THE ‘NEW SYSYEM’ …..PLEASE READ ON….

I was one of the very few Sabres fans who disliked Lindy for his lack of ‘X’s & O’s’ smarts. Lindy advocated what I used to call the ‘HOPE’ offense. That is, dump the puck in and get it deep at all costs all the time. When you dump, you are giving up possession with a 50% chance you get it back. So he would HOPE you get another forward to chase it, HOPE he wins the battle on the boards so he can ring it around the net, HOPE somebody else gets to it and HOPE they win the battle on the boards so they can get it to the guy on the point. Then, he HOPES the defenseman can get a shot off and HOPE for a screen, or HOPE for a deflection, or HOPE for a rebound then HOPES somebody crashes the net to put it in. Hockey is not a game of hope. Can you visualize that? Seem A WEE BIT FIMILIAR? It should.

Having said all that, now you get the rest of the story.

At a coaching clinic in Windsor in 2004, I tipped a few Labbatts with Coach Trotz and he taught me all about GAP CONTROL. Listen to Lindy lately? That is exactly what he keeps saying now in press conferences in response to the Sabres early success.

Gap control refers to the defensemen following tightly up behind the rushing forwards, therefore eliminating the ‘open ice’ or ‘gap’ created by lazy or lackadaisical defensemen, kinda what the soccer guy said. If the defensemen take away the gap, when/if the forwards lose the puck, the defensmen combined with the ‘3rd guy high’ are in position to muck up the opponents transition. Picture this – if the D were lazy in following up and there was a big ‘gap’ of open ice between the FW & D, a quick transition by the opponent would automatically result in them regrouping in a big area of open, unobstructed ice behind the now trapped and too deep forwards and an odd man advantage against you is the result. Sound like last season yet?

Lindy spent time this summer with Barry Trotz. I’m guessing they may have tipped a few themselves and GAP CONTROL sure does seem to have been part of the conversation. THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE NOW SEEING.

THAT, my hockey loving friends, IS THE ‘NEW’ SYSTEM. Yes, they are also collapsing very well in the defensive zone and hustle and desperation are definitely part of this year’s game. But when you talk about the word ‘system’, which you have heard over and over without knowing what it was, now you know!

GAP CONTROL or the HOPE offense – which do you prefer?

I say…..”THANK YOU BARRY TROTZ!”

I have attached the handout I used to give my teams - the diagrams explain just what my wordy paragraphs are saying! all you youth coaches out there - I think you'll like it.....especially for PW level and up

System or no system our players are winning battles along the boards and coming up with pucks. Without that no syatem will save you. Also, the defense is just so strong. Rivet is obvioulsy healthy, Lydman and Tallinder are being great second tier defenseman, Montidore [spelling, sorry, I'll learn it later] is just looking excellent. Oh, and who am I forgetting? Ya, those two kids are playing "ok," too ;)

I was one of the very few Sabres fans who disliked Lindy for his lack of ‘X’s & O’s’ smarts. Lindy advocated what I used to call the ‘HOPE’ offense. That is, dump the puck in and get it deep at all costs all the time. When you dump, you are giving up possession with a 50% chance you get it back. So he would HOPE you get another forward to chase it, HOPE he wins the battle on the boards so he can ring it around the net, HOPE somebody else gets to it and HOPE they win the battle on the boards so they can get it to the guy on the point. Then, he HOPES the defenseman can get a shot off and HOPE for a screen, or HOPE for a deflection, or HOPE for a rebound then HOPES somebody crashes the net to put it in. Hockey is not a game of hope. Can you visualize that? Seem A WEE BIT FIMILIAR? It should.

At a coaching clinic in Windsor in 2004, I tipped a few Labbatts with Coach Trotz and he taught me all about GAP CONTROL. Listen to Lindy lately? That is exactly what he keeps saying now in press conferences in response to the Sabres early success.

Gap control refers to the defensemen following tightly up behind the rushing forwards, therefore eliminating the ‘open ice’ or ‘gap’ created by lazy or lackadaisical defensemen, kinda what the soccer guy said. If the defensemen take away the gap, when/if the forwards lose the puck, the defensmen combined with the ‘3rd guy high’ are in position to muck up the opponents transition. Picture this – if the D were lazy in following up and there was a big ‘gap’ of open ice between the FW & D, a quick transition by the opponent would automatically result in them regrouping in a big area of open, unobstructed ice behind the now trapped and too deep forwards and an odd man advantage against you is the result. Sound like last season yet?

Lindy spent time this summer with Barry Trotz. I’m guessing they may have tipped a few themselves and GAP CONTROL sure does seem to have been part of the conversation. THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE NOW SEEING.

THAT, my hockey loving friends, IS THE ‘NEW’ SYSTEM. Yes, they are also collapsing very well in the defensive zone and hustle and desperation are definitely part of this year’s game. But when you talk about the word ‘system’, which you have heard over and over without knowing what it was, now you know!

I have attached the handout I used to give my teams - the diagrams explain just what my wordy paragraphs are saying! all you youth coaches out there - I think you'll like it.....especially for PW level and up

Welcome to the board. I actually think they are being much more quick to dump and chase if the play reaches center ice and there isn't a clear path to the blue line. Just my observation, but if it isn't there, they throw it in. I think the Sabres have been quite disciplined so far. Years past the Sabres would try to force the skate-in or pass over the blue line and it would often lead to a neutral zone turnover on the entry or an offsides.

It also looks like they have greenlighted all the defensemen to carry it over the blue line if it is there to take.

If teams cheat high they dump it and chase with speed and outwork them, if the other team backs off or backs up, there will be a quick shot off the entry, with even the D skating it in.

This is the most disciplined hockey we've seen in years.

Nice first post, BTW.

Welcome to the board. I actually think they are being much more quick to dump and chase if the play reaches center ice and there isn't a clear path to the blue line. Just my observation, but if it isn't there, they throw it in. I think the Sabres have been quite disciplined so far. Years past the Sabres would try to force the skate-in or pass over the blue line and it would often lead to a neutral zone turnover on the entry or an offsides. It also looks like they have greenlighted all the defensemen to carry it over the blue line if it is there to take.

If teams cheat high they dump it and chase with speed and outwork them, if the other team backs off or backs up, there will be a quick shot off the entry, with even the D skating it in.

This is the most disciplined hockey we've seen in years.

Nice first post, BTW.

Max is gone!! Seriously, his absence is really noticeable. I think this is a case of addition by subtraction.

The real issue with your team sir is not the fact your defensemen aren't following up on the play, but it's the fact you're playing with UNCONSCIOUS DEFENSEMEN. See page 2.

I'm no expert, but isn't this eerily similar to the Unabomber Manifesto?

Welcome to the board.

That may all be true when it comes to how the Sabres defensemen are playing ... but as far as the forwards go, I listened to Trotz talk about the Sabres here in Nashville before and after the game vs. the Preds, and he said more than once that in the past they were very similar but this year the Sabres are playing far different. He said it before the Sabres played them from watching tape and he said it again tonight on their pregame show, that the Sabres are much more aggressive with more puck pressure now and always forcing the issue whereas his team is more patient and waiting for openings ... Not saying you are wrong, but lets' not give Barry Trotz the credit for the Sabres playing well either when he himself is pointing out differences from what his team is doing.

Like I stated earlier, Lindy has been talking about puck pursuit, puck pressure and proper gaps for years now. I am not buying that Trotz and Babcock have "enlightened" Lindy over the summer, in regards to something he has been preaching all along.

I totally agree...but I liked the post.

New system or not. Old system tweaked or not, what I find most amusing are the comments from players regarding how on the good team it's the stars that always work the hardest and how they have to emulate that. Well Holy fricken' Duh! Is this REALLY a revelation at this point? I mean I'm happy that the young guys are maturing and all but the fact that the best players typically work the hardest is the oldest axiom in all of sports.

Let's hope it's more than just lip service. In the course of a long season, it's not always possible for the hard work of the best players to pay off. There are simply off nights. That when the lesser players have to work hard and carry the load. I really hope they understand this.

GO BILLS!!!

Good insight. I hope you can post some more...

From what I've seen, which is exactly four games into the season (76 left), it's playoff hockey in October. That's refreshing because a big rap on the NHL is that they don't try until the playoffs. When you're an underdog team like the Sabres, you have to win with effort. Too many times we've seen the guys going through the motions during the season. When you play 3x a week or more sometimes, for months on end there isn't alot of room for practice...

That being said, I think Lindy went to coaching school this past summer, which is a good thing. He needed fresh wrinkles to the system that has missed the playoffs now for too many years in a row. Now that Babcock and Trotz have seen Lindy's team, I'm not so sure they will appreciate him lifting their ideas from them in the spirit of international competition...both of these coaches seem to be experiencing (age-related?) problems with their roster.

The main things that have allowed the Sabres to pull of what they've been pulling off these last three or four games is youth, team speed and a much improved defense... led by Bill Hajt squared, Tyler Myers. I've never seen a big guy who can skate like that plus he has an amazing reach. The mix and the depth seems right this year if they can keep it up...will be interesting to see how the Sabs fare vs. Rangers, Penguins etc. Our own division seems pretty flawed this year, after a few games.

What I am buying is that two things are happening... The talent is back on D to rush the puck up the ice. Ruff loves attacking D and when the Sabres have been successful he has had them.... Last year with injuries and losing Soupy that was not there... Yet the D are more responsible then Soupy and Spacek ever were...Butler and Meyers get back...

The other thing I noticed is the effort by wingers to cover back and more than one at a time.... Gap control is enabled when this happens.... and it breaks the trap when the D can carry the puck deep. And Linde has said the trap is still there but it can't account for the D moving up quickly or attempting to and being and extra man to support the puck on the same side the trap is set up.... That way the numbers aren't overwhelming on one side for the trapping team and talent can take over.

Just MO, p.s. I still play over 40 hockey and when our D brings the puck up and our wingers cover the point we tend to cycle a whole lot better... simple hockey 101 really.

Archived