Why the Islanders franchise is a joke!

LabattBlue

Think about what could have been if the Islanders did not make these trades and instead built around the players they tossed to the curb...

23-JUN-01 OTTAWA SENATORS TRADED ALEXEI YASHIN TO THE NEW YORK ISLANDERS FOR ZDENO CHARA, BILL MUCKALT AND 1ST ROUND SELECTION (JASON SPEZZA) IN 2001.

24-JUN-00 NEW YORK ISLANDERS TRADED OLLI JOKINEN AND ROBERTO LUONGO TO THE FLORIDA PANTHERS FOR MARK PARRISH AND OLEG KVASHA.

06-FEB-98 NEW YORK ISLANDERS TRADED TODD BERTUZZI, BRYAN MCCABE AND 3RD ROUND SELECTION (JARKKO RUUTU) IN 1998 TO THE VANCOUVER CANUCKS FOR TREVOR LINDEN.

A core of Luongo, Chara, McCabe, Bertuzzi, Jokinen and Spezza?

Haha wow. Those are some insane facts.

How they could part with Chara in particular is astounding. While the others may have been difficult to ascertain their true talent potential at a young age, Chara was always a towering physical presence. His body alone would have prevented any sensible GM in parting with him.

Think about what could have been if the Islanders did not make these trades and instead built around the players they tossed to the curb...

23-JUN-01 OTTAWA SENATORS TRADED ALEXEI YASHIN TO THE NEW YORK ISLANDERS FOR ZDENO CHARA, BILL MUCKALT AND 1ST ROUND SELECTION (JASON SPEZZA) IN 2001.

24-JUN-00 NEW YORK ISLANDERS TRADED OLLI JOKINEN AND ROBERTO LUONGO TO THE FLORIDA PANTHERS FOR MARK PARRISH AND OLEG KVASHA.

06-FEB-98 NEW YORK ISLANDERS TRADED TODD BERTUZZI, BRYAN MCCABE AND 3RD ROUND SELECTION (JARKKO RUUTU) IN 1998 TO THE VANCOUVER CANUCKS FOR TREVOR LINDEN.

Doubt they could afford it and while I don't know the circumstances around the trades it usually isn't smart to trade your future for players on the downside of their careers.

They would have been in some cap trouble after the lockout, but they probably would have been a force before it. I didn't realize they actually had those particular players at one point...

Well at least Buffalo can throw Tallinder and Hecht at 'em for Tavares and a 1st rounder ;)

Mike Milbury was the biggest joke of a GM. I think looking back in 10 years we will see Glen Sather will fall into that category as well.

And all of those deals were his. But the true reason they're a joke came after all of that. The Wang ownership is killing them. He gave a 10 year contract to Yashin that blew up in his face, so how did he react? By giving the 15 year deal to DiPietro. The guy has no clue what he's doing. People around here whine about stopping Quinn from meddling with the team, and for good reason, but things could be that much worse.

And all of those deals were his. But the true reason they're a joke came after all of that. The Wang ownership is killing them. He gave a 10 year contract to Yashin that blew up in his face, so how did he react? By giving the 15 year deal to DiPietro. The guy has no clue what he's doing. People around here whine about stopping Quinn from meddling with the team, and for good reason, but things could be that much worse.

If people can say that the Red Wings and the Penguins are special situations, so it's unfair to say that we're not good because we're not on their level, then we should probably throw the Islanders out when talking about how "things could be worse." Drop the outliers. ;)

If people can say that the Red Wings and the Penguins are special situations, so it's unfair to say that we're not good because we're not on their level, then we should probably throw the Islanders out when talking about how "things could be worse." Drop the outliers. ;)

Ok, but there has to be some crappy ownership we can point and laugh at. Tampa Bay?

It's funny because Mike Milbury got rid of all that talent. And then he sits in a broadcasters booth and explains hockey to us all. Now that's funny. He would be the last one I would listen to. How in your right mind would you trade up and coming talent for garbage.

JP Dumont to Chicago for Dmitri Nabakov

Tim Connolly and Taylor Pyatt for Mike Peca

I hate when that happens. :o

Ok, but there has to be some crappy ownership we can point and laugh at. Tampa Bay?

Exhibit A is right in your town (well, the team is; the owner is in my town). Plenty of money, plenty of opportunity to attract big players to a big-name, original-six franchise, and plenty of failure.

I hate when that happens. :o

Convenient choice of smileys there. SDS, can we replace that smiley with a picture of spndnchz?

Exhibit A is right in your town (well, the team is; the owner is in my town). Plenty of money, plenty of opportunity to attract big players to a big-name, original-six franchise, and plenty of failure.

There are several ownerships I would point to long before that one. They just like whining whenever anything goes slightly wrong around here. The Jacobs hate is completely overblown.

It's funny because Mike Milbury got rid of all that talent. And then he sits in a broadcasters booth and explains hockey to us all. Now that's funny. He would be the last one I would listen to. How in your right mind would you trade up and coming talent for garbage.

My thoughts exactly. He's always very opinionated on HNIC (not always a bad thing), but I find it funny that now he's criticizing other owners and GMs for doing much less silly things than appear in this list. I think you have to take his "insight" with a huge grain of salt (like the size of Gibraltar).

Right. The ownership of the Islanders right now is very different from the early 80s.

Not sure that the Sabres front office is that much better. All I was saying that the Sabres have 0 cups under our management. At least Tampa Bay has a recent cup. Are we that much better off than the bruins, Isles and Lightning with Quinn in charge??

All of these teams mentioned have won cups. Including Tampa Bay...how many do the Sabres have?

And all of the ownerships mentioned have never won a damn thing. But hey, if we want to credit Wang, Koules/Barrie, and Jacobs with the successes of their predecessors, that's fine by me. I guess that would make Trent Edwards an AFC east winning QB.

And all of the ownerships mentioned have never won a damn thing. But hey, if we want to credit Wang, Koules/Barrie, and Jacobs with the successes of their predecessors, that's fine by me. I guess that would make Trent Edwards an AFC east winning QB.

Love the sarcasim....great job!!

Again..what have the Sabres won? Is Larry Quinn that much better as the man in charge???

Simple question, not answered yet though...

Goes to show that not even the Islanders can get everything wrong. :thumbsup:

Do you think the Isles "won" that trade, clear cut? If Connolly puts up 50+ points this year, I'd consider it a wash and possibly a win for Buffalo.

2001-02 New York Islanders NHL 80 25 35 60 62 5 1 0 1 2

2002-03 New York Islanders NHL 66 13 29 42 43 5 0 0 0 4

2003-04 New York Islanders NHL 76 11 29 40 71 5 0 0 0 6

2001-02 Buffalo Sabres NHL 82 10 35 45 34 -- -- -- -- --

2002-03 Buffalo Sabres NHL 80 12 13 25 32 -- -- -- -- --

2005-06 Buffalo Sabres NHL 63 16 39 55 28 8 5 6 11 0

2006-07 Buffalo Sabres NHL 2 1 0 1 2 16 0 9 9 4

2007-08 Buffalo Sabres NHL 48 7 33 40 8 -- -- -- -- --

2008-09 Buffalo Sabres NHL 48 18 29 47 22 -- -- -- -- --

2009-10 Buffalo Sabres NHL 3 1 0 1 0

Obviously, injuries have made this debate debateable :unsure: , I don't think the Sabres got taken in the deal.

Do you think the Isles "won" that trade, clear cut? If Connolly puts up 50+ points this year, I'd consider it a wash and possibly a win for Buffalo.

2001-02 New York Islanders NHL 80 25 35 60 62 5 1 0 1 2

2002-03 New York Islanders NHL 66 13 29 42 43 5 0 0 0 4

2003-04 New York Islanders NHL 76 11 29 40 71 5 0 0 0 6

2001-02 Buffalo Sabres NHL 82 10 35 45 34 -- -- -- -- --

2002-03 Buffalo Sabres NHL 80 12 13 25 32 -- -- -- -- --

2005-06 Buffalo Sabres NHL 63 16 39 55 28 8 5 6 11 0

2006-07 Buffalo Sabres NHL 2 1 0 1 2 16 0 9 9 4

2007-08 Buffalo Sabres NHL 48 7 33 40 8 -- -- -- -- --

2008-09 Buffalo Sabres NHL 48 18 29 47 22 -- -- -- -- --

2009-10 Buffalo Sabres NHL 3 1 0 1 0

Obviously, injuries have made this debate debateable :unsure: , I don't think the Sabres got taken in the deal.

Peca made the Islanders better while Connolly did nothing for the Sabres. Isn't that how trades are judged?

Archived