A Bold Prediction - Sabres will win the Northeast

Barnabov

So after watching the Leafs - Canadiens tonight, have to say I think there's a good chance Buffalo will finish atop the Northeast Division. TO & Montreal have a lot new players to fill a lot of holes and I think it'll take them a season to sort out. Ottawa still seems to be floundering and trying to figure out what kind of team it wants to be. Boston could put my prediction on the slag heap but I think they're going to have trouble matching last year's regular season performance - Tim Thomas in particular may go the way of other hot for 1 season goalies, struggling the next year & I think not resigning Kessels was letting too much goal scoring get away.

So, despite not having done much in the offseason, I may be overly optimistic but I think Buffalo could lead it's division if everyone has a good year & stays healthy. Granted they need to tweek some spots still (or hope for some standout play - I don't see MacArthur earning a top 6 spot as yet).

Go ahead & shell me for this topic but that's where I stand (& only 2 pints of Guiness so no blaming that).

I think this team has the raw talent to win the division.

I very much doubt their attitude though, as the attitude the past years have been that of a way too satisfied, young team who won too many games early in their careers.

If that changes, watch out.

If not, oh well.

I think this team has the raw talent to win the division.

I very much doubt their attitude though, as the attitude the past years have been that of a way too satisfied, young team who won too many games early in their careers.

If that changes, watch out.

If not, oh well.

I see this morning that Washington beat Boston pretty good last night - hope that portends well to their season. Glad I don't get Versus anymore on DTV - saves listening to their idiot announcing and analysts.

So after watching the Leafs - Canadiens tonight, have to say I think there's a good chance Buffalo will finish atop the Northeast Division. TO & Montreal have a lot new players to fill a lot of holes and I think it'll take them a season to sort out. Ottawa still seems to be floundering and trying to figure out what kind of team it wants to be. Boston could put my prediction on the slag heap but I think they're going to have trouble matching last year's regular season performance - Tim Thomas in particular may go the way of other hot for 1 season goalies, struggling the next year & I think not resigning Kessels was letting too much goal scoring get away.

So, despite not having done much in the offseason, I may be overly optimistic but I think Buffalo could lead it's division if everyone has a good year & stays healthy. Granted they need to tweek some spots still (or hope for some standout play - I don't see MacArthur earning a top 6 spot as yet).

Go ahead & shell me for this topic but that's where I stand (& only 2 pints of Guiness so no blaming that).

I'm not going to shell you, and I'm not going to blame you for drinking only two pints of Guinness. But I don't think this team wins the division. It should make the playoffs, though.

• 1 month later...

Is it too early to revisit this topic? So far the Sabres look much more solid than the other teams in the Northeast. Here's hoping the avoid any extended losing streaks that have plagued good efforts in year's past, stay healthy and continue to gel as a team.

Is it too early to revisit this topic? So far the Sabres look much more solid than the other teams in the Northeast. Here's hoping the avoid any extended losing streaks that have plagued good efforts in year's past, stay healthy and continue to gel as a team.

Regier deserves a lot of credit for believing in what they were building for the past few years and not buckling to fan and media pressure...he has again crafted a team of some key veteran players like Grier, Montador and Rivet to go along with some new youth like Myers and Kennedy which has made the team much harder to play again night in and night out. The players who have been here since the beginning of the run seem to be much more mature and more accountable for their effort and defensive play on a nightly basis as well. Its been pretty fun seeing this team grow up literally overnight...

I think the team looks real solid. That having been said, look at their schedule so far. They haven't played a lot of games and the only real quality teams they've played are the Red Wings and the Devils. I know they played real good games against both and won handily, I just think it might be a better idea to see how they stack up against tougher teams like the Flyers, Capitals, Senators, Flames, and arguably the Bruins. That will be the next test in November. The final test I believe is December when they play 15 games (including even tougher top teams like Pittsburgh three times) and have Christmas as their only 2 day break between games between all month, compared to the 11 they played in October. By the end of 2009, I think we will see how consistent a team they've become.

I think the team looks real solid. That having been said, look at their schedule so far. They haven't played a lot of games and the only real quality teams they've played are the Red Wings and the Devils. I know they played real good games against both and won handily, I just think it might be a better idea to see how they stack up against tougher teams like the Flyers, Capitals, Senators, Flames, and arguably the Bruins. That will be the next test in November. The final test I believe is December when they play 15 games (including even tougher top teams like Pittsburgh three times) and have Christmas as their only 2 day break all month, compared to the 11 they played in October. By the end of 2009, I think we will see how consistent a team they've become.

Good post.

i just don't see us having enough talent and depth to over come Boston for the division. They are loaded.

1 Patrice Bergeron C 6-2 194 24 14 4 4 8 -1 6 4 0 0 0 32 12.5 263 18:48

2 Marc Savard C 5-10 191 32 7 4 3 7 1 4 2 2 0 0 20 20.0 127 18:13

3 Blake Wheeler RW 6-5 205 23 14 4 3 7 -1 6 4 0 0 0 22 18.2 183 13:04

4 Marco Sturm LW 6-0 194 31 14 2 5 7 3 6 2 0 0 0 31 6.5 226 16:10

5 Derek Morris D 6-0 221 31 14 1 6 7 -4 10 0 1 0 0 20 5.0 319 22:46

6 Michael Ryder RW 6-0 192 29 14 3 3 6 1 2 2 1 0 0 30 10.0 222 15:52

7 Steve Begin C 6-0 192 31 14 2 4 6 0 9 2 0 0 0 21 9.5 183 13:03

8 Zdeno Chara D 6-9 255 32 14 0 6 6 1 22 0 0 0 0 33 0.0 342 24:25

9 David Krejci C 6-0 177 23 14 1 4 5 2 2 1 0 0 0 29 3.4 251 17:57

10 Matt Hunwick D 5-11 190 24 14 3 1 4 -1 8 2 1 0 0 8 37.5 246 17:33

11 Mark Recchi RW 5-10 195 41 14 2 2 4 -1 6 2 0 0 0 20 10.0 232 16:34

12 Daniel Paille LW 6-0 200 25 7 0 4 4 0 2 0 0 0 0 4 0.0 95 13:37

13 Vladimir Sobotka C 5-11 193 22 7 1 2 3 0 0 1 0 0 0 7 14.3 76 10:54

14 Mark Stuart D 6-2 213 25 14 1 2 3 3 10 1 0 0 0 8 12.5 226 16:08

15 Milan Lucic LW 6-3 228 21 6 0 3 3 2 9 0 0 0 0 5 0.0 85 14:05

16 Byron Bitz RW 6-5 215 25 12 1 1 2 1 7 1 0 0 0 17 5.9 136 11:19

17 Dennis Wideman D 6-0 196 26 11 1 1 2 -2 4 0 1 0 0 21 4.8 239 21:45

18 Shawn Thornton RW 6-2 217 32 12 1 0 1 -2 23 1 0 0 0 28 3.6 130 10:48

19 Andrew Ference D 5-11 189 30 14 0 1 1 1 6 0 0 0 0 21 0.0 292 20:53

20 Chuck Kobasew C 5-11 192 27 7 0 1 1 -2 2 0 0 0 0 13 0.0 101 14:22

21 Brad Marchand C 5-9 183 21 7 0 1 1 -1 0 0 0 0 0 10 0.0 108 15:23

22 Johnny Boychuk D 6-2 225 26 3 0 0 0 1 5 0 0 0 0 7 0.0 49 16:26

23 Guillaume Lefebvre LW 6-1 202 28 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 11 11:01

24 Tuukka Rask G 6-2 169 22 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 249 62:22

25 Tim Thomas G 5-11 208 35 10 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 600 60:02

26 Trent Whitfield C 5-11 209 32 4 0 0 0 0 5 0 0 0 0 1 0.0 36 9:06

Team Total 14 31 57 88 1 156 25 6 0 0 408 7.6

Still feel that way?

If Miller continues his hot play, 1st in the NE is certainly possible. Ottawa sans Heatley isn't so scary. Look at Spezza's numbers, he's struggling. Boston isn't playing to the level they played last year. Montreal blew up their team.. Price has been average. Toronto lost six in a row.. Why not 1st in the NE?

If Miller continues his hot play, 1st in the NE is certainly possible. Ottawa sans Heatley isn't so scary. Look at Spezza's numbers, he's struggling. Boston isn't playing to the level they played last year. Montreal blew up their team.. Price has been average. Toronto lost six in a row.. Why not 1st in the NE?

After watching Kessel the other day, I'm not so sure the Leafs are going to be the wooden spoon bearers in this division. Over the last couple of seasons they have been consistent in scoring against us with point shots, mostly stick-side high on Miller, by their D-men. I'd like to see that planned for better next time we play them.

Two big division tests are coming up soon: the B's are looking woefully inconsistent, we jump on them early and take them out of the contest and we should be all set. The Sens.. they're a different story - no matter how badly placed they are, they always bring it when playing us. Shame we rarely respond likewise. They have a few young players settling in and will take their time learning how best to beat us - Ruff really needs to spend a couple more nights planning better for Sens games.

I think the team looks real solid. That having been said, look at their schedule so far. They haven't played a lot of games and the only real quality teams they've played are the Red Wings and the Devils. I know they played real good games against both and won handily, I just think it might be a better idea to see how they stack up against tougher teams like the Flyers, Capitals, Senators, Flames, and arguably the Bruins. That will be the next test in November. The final test I believe is December when they play 15 games (including even tougher top teams like Pittsburgh three times) and have Christmas as their only 2 day break between games between all month, compared to the 11 they played in October. By the end of 2009, I think we will see how consistent a team they've become.

I'm probably overanalyzing this, but what the hell. The final test comes in December? I understand where you're going with that, but I just can't buy it. Take a look at the two eastern conference finalists last year, Pittsburgh and Carolina. They were floundering well beyond December. This season is far too long to tell whether or not a team is established at any point. As long as the team strings together a decent enough season to make the playoffs, all that really matters is how they're playing when April and beyond rolls around.

I'm probably overanalyzing this, but what the hell. The final test comes in December? I understand where you're going with that, but I just can't buy it. Take a look at the two eastern conference finalists last year, Pittsburgh and Carolina. They were floundering well beyond December. This season is far too long to tell whether or not a team is established at any point. As long as the team strings together a decent enough season to make the playoffs, all that really matters is how they're playing when April and beyond rolls around.

looking at Pittsburgh and Carolina.. a good lesson there is that as long as you hit good form and start streaking around Feb-Apr, the momentum should be good enough to carry you deep. that is when experience, skill and grit really kick in and take you to the Cup.

sometimes it takes a catalyst to kickstart things again - when Therrien got fired by the Pens they were floundering and in danger of not even making the playoffs - they had the right mix of young skill and old grit there..

for the Canes, it looks like trading for Erik Cole made all the difference for them.. his pairing with Staal was huge for them down the stretch. a lot of their bit part players stepped in as well - wasn't Brind'amour brutal last year though?

OK, I should have said the biggest test as of the end of 2009 as opposed to the final test. The final test is making the playoffs at the end of the year of course (and in line with Barnabov's question, whether they finish first). I think we can get a better indication as to their consistency moving forward after these increasingly tough tests.

Your point is nice and all, but it doesn't really have to do with repster's post. A relative comparison would be to look at teams that had been consistently winning through the end of 2008, and how those teams ultimately fared. Detroit, San Jose, and Boston all had fewer than 10 regulation losses. How did they finish? Top three records in the league at the end of the season.

Your point is nice and all, but it doesn't really have to do with repster's post. A relative comparison would be to look at teams that had been consistently winning through the end of 2008, and how those teams ultimately fared. Detroit, San Jose, and Boston all had fewer than 10 regulation losses. How did they finish? Top three records in the league at the end of the season.

I'm sure we'd all much rather win the big shiny silver thing, but since this thread is about the division, yeah, I'm fine with that.

• 2 weeks later...

So, the Sabres have 25 points, Ottawa has 23, Boston 22, Montreal 20...we play Boston tomorrow and Ottawa is waiting for us Saturday...I think any of these teams can easily win the division at this point. I know there's games in hand, but when it looked like we were so far ahead a little while ago, things can change quickly. We better have a good weekend or we could find ourselves in 3rd or 4th in our own division next week. 11th place in the conference is only 3 points behind.

Which is where they belong. They just aren't very good. I've tempered my enthusiam all season, with good reason.

Well, I suppose after the past 2 years, you're entitled to take the glass-is-half-empty view, but I think you are selling them short. They are 12-6, with wins over Detroit, NJ, Calgary and Philly, plus the Islanders, who are 7-2-2 in their last 9, and Tampa and Phoenix, both of whom would be in the playoffs if the season ended today. Notwithstanding that atrocious performance against Florida, their consistency, focus and mental toughness is greatly improved over last year.

Individually, Miller has been the best goalie in the league. Myers is the real deal. Tallinder is back from the dead. Grier, Montador, Gaustad and Kaleta are all playing important roles, which has had the net effect of substantially increasing team toughness.

They've also accomplished all this while getting very little from their best goal-scorer and not nearly enough goals from their 2nd-best (Pommer). I expect Vanek to heat up over the next month or so, just as TC and Roy have done.

I'm not convinced that they are a top 5 team, but I'm not convinced that they aren't, either. I do think they are definitely a top 12 team.

Of course, if they crap the bed this weekend, I'll be singing a different tune...

But the division as a whole sucks, so even a bad team could easily win it.

Hasn't that been the case with the Southeast division -

2007-08 - Caps had 94 pts, which would have put them 8th in conference standings if it wasn't for the division winner seeding.

2006-07 - The Thrash would have been 5th, not 3rd.

• 1 month later...

Well, it looks encouraging so far. They seem to have survived November and December with all those games packed into such a short time. 5 points up on Boston is no gimme for finishing first at the end of the year, but at least they are staying consistently ahead of the rest of the division to this point. This month is another tough test playing teams like Colorado, @Phoenix, @LA (can you believe how well these teams are playing?), @San Jose, @Vancouver, NJ, and Boston. Follow that up with the Penguins and Senators again to start February and I think we will be in a position to annoint them contenders for a playoff position or a real possibility to win the Northeast. After Feb 3rd, if they are in first place, I will be disappointed if they stay healthy and don't end up winning the division.

Archived