Arguably the best goalie in the NHL?

Claude_Verret

I heard something on the radio this morning and I had to laugh. In announcing Cam Ward's new deal the guy said he is "arguably" the best goalie in the NHL right now. Please. There are maybe three or four goalies on that arguably list in my opinion. Cam Ward and Ryan Miller for that matter aren't among them.

Best goalie are

1.Marty Brodeur

2.Roberto Luongo

3.Mika Kiprusoff

4.Ryan Miller

5.Cam Ward

I'd flipflop Luongo and Brodeur. Kipper should be in the top 5. I think Nabokov, Backstrom and Lundqvist deserve consideration, but for me the shine is off Lundy's star a little.

As big a Miller fan as I am, I don't put him in the top-5. I definitely don't have Cam Ward there. I think they're both in that next tier.

4. Tim Thomas. - hes been better than ward and miller

I'd like to see Tim put together another good season before I anoint him as a top-5 goalie.

I'd flipflop Luongo and Brodeur. Kipper should be in the top 5. I think Nabokov, Backstrom and Lundqvist deserve consideration, but for me the shine is off Lundy's star a little.

As big a Miller fan as I am, I don't put him in the top-5. I definitely don't have Cam Ward there. I think they're both in that next tier.

I'd like to see Tim put together another good season before I anoint him as a top-5 goalie.

I'll poke the bear. You famously described Miller on here as "one of the greats" or "great." Doesn't great get you in the top tier?

I come in peace.

Re: Thomas, ok good point. But in terms of past 2 or 3 seasons he is a top five performer. He's been better than Miller or Ward overall.

Agreed on Tim Thomas. Let's see what he and Boston do this year with all the expectations thrust upon them. They may regress without Kessell & his 36 goals.

Kipper and Nabokov are perennial playoff flopper's. I'll take Ward, Miller, Backstrom and Lundqvist over both.

Cam Ward is a game tested, NHL playoff goalie that doesn't get his props because he plays in the hockey hotbed of North Carolina.

I think Backstrom is underrated and should definitely be top 5.

I think Backstrom is underrated and should definitely be top 5.

I would too. But, this season i really want to see how Backstrom does because Minnesota is going away from their deadly defensive trap system with a new coach and will play a very offensive style.

I don't think Miller or Ward are top 5. And honestly, not sure i would put Kipper in there either. He used to be, but last few years has been going down hill.

I wonder if someone asked who the top five NFL QBs are if the consensus would correlate with QB rating. Because in discussions of who the best goalies are, GAA and save percentage rarely get mentioned. 100 pucks are fired at 30 goalies. I want to know who stopped the most pucks. (Well, I'd rather have a standard league-wide for scoring chances and know how many of 100 scoring chances were stopped, but it's a pipe dream.)

I'll poke the bear. You famously described Miller on here as "one of the greats" or "great." Doesn't great get you in the top tier?

I come in peace.

Sorry, PA. Not taking the bait. We've gone round and round about this, and I'm not getting into this with you yet again.

I wonder if someone asked who the top five NFL QBs are if the consensus would correlate with QB rating. Because in discussions of who the best goalies are, GAA and save percentage rarely get mentioned. 100 pucks are fired at 30 goalies. I want to know who stopped the most pucks. (Well, I'd rather have a standard league-wide for scoring chances and know how many of 100 scoring chances were stopped, but it's a pipe dream.)

We need a goaltender rating!

He's not into sloppy seconds.

The point is ceded. Miller is not great, never was, and you never really thought he was. You said he was great only to be disagreeable.

You almost drew me back in on that one, Mr. Avery.

Brodeur is no longer in the top 5

And Ward has never been in the top 5. Heck, even his mother probably realizes that. What's your point?

Actually, I'd probably go w/ the following as the top 5:

1. Luongo

2. Khabibulin

3. Nabokov

4. Backstrom

5. Hiller/Brodeur

I'd have, in no particular order Thomas, Miller, and Lundy also in the top 10. I'd probably close out the top ten w/ either Vokoun or Mason. Until this past year, I'd've had Kiprusoff in the top 5.

And Ward has never been in the top 5. Heck, even his mother probably realizes that. What's your point?

Actually, I'd probably go w/ the following as the top 5:

1. Luongo

2. Khabibulin

3. Nabokov

4. Backstrom

5. Hiller/Brodeur

I'd have, in no particular order Thomas, Miller, and Lundy also in the top 10. I'd probably close out the top ten w/ either Vokoun or Mason. Until this past year, I'd've had Kiprusoff in the top 5.

Maybe I've just caught every single bad game he has ever had, but I just don't get all the love for Luongo.

I also don't understand how Fluery doesn't make people's top 10 either.

Archived