[OT] Random Observations

shrader

Here is my random observation of the day:

The Buckeyes are A LOT more fun to watch than the Browns.

Any college football is more fun to watch than any pro football. If I hadn't grown up in Buffalo, I doubt I'd watch any NFL today at all.

Any college football is more fun to watch than any pro football. If I hadn't grown up in Buffalo, I doubt I'd watch any NFL today at all.

College football bores me beyond belief, thanks, I'm sure, to being from Buffalo. I don't think I've ever actually watched an entire college game.

Here is my random observation of the day:

The Buckeyes are A LOT more fun to watch than the Browns.

I can agree with that - and I hate the Buckeyes.

Agreed - except when I'm watching my split-personality Seminoles. Whipping BYU one week, getting upset by USF the next week. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

College football bores me beyond belief, thanks, I'm sure, to being from Buffalo. I don't think I've ever actually watched an entire college game.

I was the same way until I went to FSU for grad school. Once I got there and saw the passion and traditions, I fell in love with the college game. Now I am finding that I enjoy the college game much, much more than the corporate NFL, although I'm sure it's only a matter of time before there is little to no difference between the two.

Iowa-Penn State and ND-Purdue today were freaking incredible games to watch. I go in to work for at least a couple of hours most weekends; during the fall, I now go in on Sundays more often than I do on Saturdays. It is some great ball. (I know, BU doesn't have a team. It's ok. They have great college hockey instead.) Buffalo and Boston don't make for great college football fans. I lived in the flyovers for a few years, and then in the mid-Atlantic, and wow, did I learn.

And now I'm back in Buffalo. Where UB gets killed by Temple. Freaking Temple. It's a middling basketball school, dammit; the likes of Delaware State would eat 'em up on a football field. But no, not UB.

Iowa-Penn State and ND-Purdue today were freaking incredible games to watch. I go in to work for at least a couple of hours most weekends; during the fall, I now go in on Sundays more often than I do on Saturdays. It is some great ball. (I know, BU doesn't have a team. It's ok. They have great college hockey instead.) Buffalo and Boston don't make for great college football fans. I lived in the flyovers for a few years, and then in the mid-Atlantic, and wow, did I learn.

And now I'm back in Buffalo. Where UB gets killed by Temple. Freaking Temple. It's a middling basketball school, dammit; the likes of Delaware State would eat 'em up on a football field. But no, not UB.

The BC following is pretty strong. Yeah, it's never going to rival the Penn States, Oklahomas and Ohio States of the world, but they're pretty loyal around here. I just couldn't give a damn about that school.

The BC following is pretty strong. Yeah, it's never going to rival the Penn States, Oklahomas and Ohio States of the world, but they're pretty loyal around here. I just couldn't give a damn about that school.

I know that you hate BC. And I think that might be the difference, because there really is no college FB of note in your region, other than the Eagles. If I hadn't left Buffalo for a decade, I wouldn't have developed a love for college FB, either--what, Syr-excuse? C'mon. And UB was D-III when I left.

My in-laws are BC grads and, even over age 70, have season tickets and attend every home game and the odd bowl game. Even though they can really be a pain in the butt, I will say that BC has a quality athletic program in both football and basketball. Also, both the football stadium and the gym look like very good places to see games.

I'm noticing more and more that many drivers either fail to use turn signals at all, or use them incorrectly.

Turn signals are a sign of weakness.

I drive in the hand-to-hand combat of the I-95 corridor between Baltimore and Washington DC. If you don't take, you don't get. Simple as that. This mother may I stuff just doesn't work here.

:thumbsup:

I know that you hate BC. And I think that might be the difference, because there really is no college FB of note in your region, other than the Eagles. If I hadn't left Buffalo for a decade, I wouldn't have developed a love for college FB, either--what, Syr-excuse? C'mon. And UB was D-III when I left.

I don't really "hate" BC. It's more an act than anything... but the Gerbe stuff was legit though. His antics were a bit over the top when he was there.

My in-laws are BC grads and, even over age 70, have season tickets and attend every home game and the odd bowl game. Even though they can really be a pain in the butt, I will say that BC has a quality athletic program in both football and basketball. Also, both the football stadium and the gym look like very good places to see games.

Kids.

Turn signals are a sign of weakness.

I drive in the hand-to-hand combat of the I-95 corridor between Baltimore and Washington DC. If you don't take, you don't get. Simple as that. This mother may I stuff just doesn't work here.

:thumbsup:

I've been there, done that. Driving there doesn't count. You might as well be driving on lawless, unpaved roads, Mad Max-style. :thumbsup:

I'm talking about at a red light behind someone at red light on a two-lane road who waits to put his left-hand signal on until the light turns green, and now I'm stuck waiting for the bastage to make the turn. Or when I'm waiting to go right on red and the people in the cross traffic turn right without using a signal, meaning I have to wait until they start the turn to confirm whether they are staying in my path or getting out of the way.

Or the overly helpful guy that puts his turn signal on a quarter mile before his turn, and passes a half-dozen potential turns along the way.

I've been there, done that. Driving there doesn't count. You might as well be driving on lawless, unpaved roads, Mad Max-style. :thumbsup:

I'm talking about at a red light behind someone at red light on a two-lane road who waits to put his left-hand signal on until the light turns red, and now I'm stuck waiting for the bastage to make the turn. Or when I'm waiting to go right on red and the people in the cross traffic turn right without using a signal, meaning I have to wait until they start the turn to confirm whether they are staying in my path or getting out of the way.

Or the overly helpful guy that puts his turn signal on a quarter mile before his turn, and passes a half-dozen potential turns along the way.

You're lucky. In Buffalo, they wait until the light turns green.

Mopeds do not belong on 55mph roads at night. Just sayin'.

Here we got Amish. Lots of 'em. And they are waaaay slower than a moped. When I travel back and forth to work, I'm on rural, 55mph roads and it gets tricky. Some buggies have a bright lantern, some have a dim, battery powered taillight, some have nothing at all. The buggies are black and so are the horses. Whole families in buggies, just clip-clopping along. Half in the road, half on the berm, weaving in and out. It's like the the damn Amish hokey-pokey. And in November, we get to add deer running for their lives straight into the road.

Driving where I live is like playing a video game.

Well sorry this sounds like a complaint for Thursday but really...I'm observing the Amish. Every day :) Not complaining, they are quaint and nice and they really know how to make a buck selling beans and baskets and cookies and wood stuff, etc. Just interesting that they continue to take their lives in their hands every time they go out.

Here we got Amish. Lots of 'em. And they are waaaay slower than a moped. When I travel back and forth to work, I'm on rural, 55mph roads and it gets tricky. Some buggies have a bright lantern, some have a dim, battery powered taillight, some have nothing at all. The buggies are black and so are the horses. Whole families in buggies, just clip-clopping along. Half in the road, half on the berm, weaving in and out. It's like the the damn Amish hokey-pokey. And in November, we get to add deer running for their lives straight into the road.

Driving where I live is like playing a video game.

Well sorry this sounds like a complaint for Thursday but really...I'm observing the Amish. Every day :) Not complaining, they are quaint and nice and they really know how to make a buck selling beans and baskets and cookies and wood stuff, etc. Just interesting that they continue to take their lives in their hands every time they go out.

I frequent Amish country in PA. Sunday afternoon there are lots of Amish on the road returning home from the church and social gathering. Catch it at the wrong time and travel is tricky and slow. I've dubbed it "Amish Rush Hour"...

Archived