Projected Opening Day Roster

Doohickie

Okay, so the NFL season is starting which means that the NHL is just around the corner. What does the opening day roster look like as of right now?

So far, looks like Stafford is re-signed, Grier is back, Peters is gone (where'd he go, anyway?), and Gerbe wants to play with the big boys. What does the rest of the roster look like?

As things evolve, I'll update the first post of this thread.

Offense

1st Line: Vanek, Connolly, Stafford

2nd Line: MacArthur, Roy, Pomminstein

3rd Line: Hecht, Gausted, Grier

4th Line: Paille, Ellis, Kaleta

Defense

1st Pair: Rivet, Montador

2nd Pair: Tallinder, Lydman

3rd Pair: Butler, Sekera NOTE: I like these two as a pair; they complement each other

Goalie

Starter: Ryan Miller

Backup: Patrick Lalime

Others: McCormick, Mair, Kennedy, Gerbe, Paetsch, Myers

Okay, so the NFL season is starting which means that the NHL is just around the corner. What does the opening day roster look like as of right now?

So far, looks like Stafford is re-signed, Grier is back, Peters is gone (where'd he go, anyway?), and Gerbe wants to play with the big boys. What does the rest of the roster look like?

If anyone wants to feed the info, I'll up date the first post of this thread.

I can't even begin to guess what is going to happen on defense, but on offense I'll start with:

Vanek-Connolly-Stafford

MacArthur-Roy-Pommer

Hecht-Gaustad-Grier

Paille-Ellis-Kaleta

Scratch: McCormick

IR: Mair

Connolly and Roy can be swapped. If Hecht rebounds, he may see the second line. Beyond that, there will be playing and changing up of lines. I would expect Kennedy and Gerbe to be first callups.

Offense

Defense

1st Pair: Rivet, Sekera

3rd Pair: Butler, Paetsch

Goalie

Others: McCormick, Mair, Kennedy, Gerbe

Montador?

Myers?

Offense

Defense

1st Pair: Rivet, Sekera

3rd Pair: Butler, Paetsch

Goalie

Others: McCormick, Mair, Kennedy, Gerbe

You forgot about Montador. Think he'll be paired with... Rivet?

Who's Myers?

INCOMING!!

;)

You may catch a little flack for that. He's the Sabres #1 draft pick, 12th overall, from last year. He's a 6'8", probably 225 now and growing defenseman, who dominated in juniors last year and will likely get the 9 game "tryout" with the Sabres before they decide if he stays or goes back to juniors (due to his age, he can't play in Portland.) I'd say that he's probably the only prospect in the system whose potential upside is superstar caliber (not that he will get there, but it's possible.)

I can't even begin to guess what is going to happen on defense, but on offense I'll start with:

Vanek-Connolly-Stafford

MacArthur-Roy-Pommer

Hecht-Gaustad-Grier

Paille-Ellis-Kaleta

Connolly and Roy can be swapped. If Hecht rebounds, he may see the second line. Beyond that, there will be playing and changing up of lines. I would expect Kennedy and Gerbe to be first callups.

That may be the opening day roster because Ruff seems to like showing loyalty to veteran players.

But if they stay with that lineup for most of the season look for a 10th place three- peat.

Personally I think they should skip the formalities and inject some new blood from Portland right from the start.

Vanek-Connolly-Stafford

MacArthur-Roy-Pommer

Hecht-Gaustad-Grier

Paille-Ellis-Kaleta

That's a hideous starting lineup.

I can't imagine this team making a run for the playoffs with MacArthur as a second line winger. I hope that Connolly spent the summer with a Voodoo Witch Doctor removing what ever injury curse was placed on him. It's hard to really appreciate the lack of talent the Sabres have upfront until you see projected lineups.

I think Weber will make it this year. I also think unless Myers totally kicks ass they will try to push the clock back on him if they can. I'm also not sure that MacArthur will beat out the young kids. Ellis I think will be in and out. I also think Tallinder is going to lose his spot.

I really think Tim Kennedy will make the opening night roster. He really fits the style of a Lindy Ruff player. He's got good speed, goes into the tough parts of the rink to fight for the puck, is very quick, can take faceoffs and plays very well in his own end. He can play PK or PP. With a good camp I think Ruff will try to keep him. Not only can he help defensively, but he brings some offensive play making ability the Sabres could use.

I really think Tim Kennedy will make the opening night roster. He really fits the style of a Lindy Ruff player. He's got good speed, goes into the tough parts of the rink to fight for the puck, is very quick, can take faceoffs and plays very well in his own end. He can play PK or PP. With a good camp I think Ruff will try to keep him. Not only can he help defensively, but he brings some offensive play making ability the Sabres could use.

I would agree.

I'm also not sure that MacArthur will beat out the young kid

I really think Tim Kennedy will make the opening night roster.

I think that you both probably should be right, but barring a trade, it may come down to a matter of contracts. MacArthur has a one-way deal. If they waive him and he doesn't get picked up, then they are paying him his NHL salary to play in the AHL and paying Kennedy his NHL salary (much more than his AHL salary.) Ellis is, I believe, also on a one-way deal. McCormick, I'm not sure of, but even if he's on a two-way deal, when Mair comes back, they'd need to move someone else.

Vanek-Connolly-Stafford

MacArthur-Roy-Pommer

Hecht-Gaustad-Grier

Paille-Ellis-Kaleta

I'd like it a whole lot more if it looked like this:

Vanek-Connolly-Stafford

MacArthur-Roy-Pommer

Hecht-Moore-Grier

Paille-Gaustad-Kaleta

Scratch: Ellis-McCormick

IR: Mair (buh-bye)

With the Stafford signing, does that leave enough cap room now for Moore?

I also like the idea of switching Pommer and Grier. MacArthur-Roy-Grier and Hecht-Moore-Pommer might add some scoring to the the third line and some protection to Roy on the second line.. They would look like this:

Vanek-Connolly-Stafford

MacArthur-Roy-Grier

Hecht-Moore-Pommer

Paille-Gaustad-Kaleta

Scratch: Ellis-McCormick

IR: Mair (buh-bye)

I think I like this better....

I know nothing of them. I see Montador is on the Sabres lineup at NHL.com; I guess that's not good for Paetsch? He's usually the odd man out. Who's Myers?

NO, please tell me you are joking. You have 444 posts and you don't know the biggest prospect the sabres have had since Vanek. Possibly the biggest D prospect we have ever had!!!! I'll try to overlook this but I really don't know if I can ever take another of your posts serious.

Random Thoughts:

Let's just say Dan Paille better play outta his freaking mind if he wants to secure a position on the roster. He started off super hot, but was invisible for about 3/4 of the rest of the season last year. Total disappointment!

On the bubble: Paetsch & Ellis, Clark Mac (if Gerbe and Kennedy push him).

Unless Myers is a total stud, I don't think he'll make the team right at the beginning. I would love to see him make it, but you have Hank (he really better pick it up this year), Loods, Sekera, Butler, Rivet, Montador and Weber all ahead of him.

I love Pommer, but he clearly has to have a better season this year. Hecht too, but we all knew that.

Archived