Projected Opening Day Roster

Doohickie

Okay, so the NFL season is starting which means that the NHL is just around the corner. What does the opening day roster look like as of right now?

So far, looks like Stafford is re-signed, Grier is back, Peters is gone (where'd he go, anyway?), and Gerbe wants to play with the big boys. What does the rest of the roster look like?

As things evolve, I'll update the first post of this thread.

Offense

1st Line: Vanek, Connolly, Stafford

2nd Line: MacArthur, Roy, Pomminstein

3rd Line: Hecht, Gausted, Grier

4th Line: Paille, Ellis, Kaleta

Defense

1st Pair: Rivet, Montador

2nd Pair: Tallinder, Lydman

3rd Pair: Butler, Sekera NOTE: I like these two as a pair; they complement each other

Goalie

Starter: Ryan Miller

Backup: Patrick Lalime

Others: McCormick, Mair, Kennedy, Gerbe, Paetsch, Myers

Myers is gonna be playing most games this yr..He makes the team as a regular..

I don't think I want Stafford paired with Vanek.

Whenever they're on the ice together, it seems like Stafford is always where Vanek wants to be. Only difference is, Stafford doesn't have the skill to knock the pucks in from Vanek's typical scoring locations.

I'd rather see Vanek paired with Pommers, with Connolly at center.

Plus, I thought Stafford and Roy were developing decent chemistry towards the end of the season.

I think with the direction this team is going, you have to get the young guys in now and see what they can give you. We already know what Paille and Clark Mc are going to give 12-17 goals, 35-40 points and long streches of nothing. I would like to see it look like this on opening night:

Vanek-Connolly-Pommer

Gerbe-Roy-Stafford

Hecht-Gaustad-Grier

Kaleta-Mair-Ellis

Rotate in Kennedy and McCormick

If Gerbe makes the team he needs to be a top 6 forward, if you bury him on 3rd or 4th line, what's the point. He needs to play with skill guys.

On D, I like these pairs

Rivet-Myers (let the kid play with the tough vet)

Butler-Sekera

Lydman-Montador

Tallinder rotates in and Weber is next man up

Of course when Timmy gets hurt, this all goes up in smoke.

Vanek-Connolly-Pommer

Gerbe-Roy-Stafford

Hecht-Gaustad-Grier

Kaleta-Mair-Ellis

Rotate in Kennedy and McCormick

If Gerbe makes the team he needs to be a top 6 forward, if you bury him on 3rd or 4th line, what's the point. He needs to play with skill guys.

On D, I like these pairs

Rivet-Myers (let the kid play with the tough vet)

Butler-Sekera

Lydman-Montador

Tallinder rotates in and Weber is next man up

Of course when Timmy gets hurt, this all goes up in smoke.

Pommers definitely should be given a shot with Connolly and Vanek. And I like the D lines quite a bit. I don't know about Gerbe with Roy, though. He could work with Stafford, as Stafford seems to do well taking the pass, and I've noticed Gerbe, if anything, is generous passing the puck. I'm still up in the air about Gerbe; I'd rather see him traded than on a line right now.

Sabres need almost a totally new direction

Vanek-Connolly-Stafford (almost obvious)

Hecht-Roy-Pommer (Hecht and Roy work well together)

Kennedy-Gaustad-Grier (needed have to mix things up)

Paille-Ellis-Kaleta (Ellis only til Mair gets back)

defense will be tricky Myers is almost a necessity with the loss of numminen

Rivet-Lydman

Butler-Montador

Tallinder-Myers

Need to take the fresh attitude and create something that is going to surprise the NHL like we can

Sabres need almost a totally new direction

Vanek-Connolly-Stafford (almost obvious)

Hecht-Roy-Pommer (Hecht and Roy work well together)

Kennedy-Gaustad-Grier (needed have to mix things up)

Paille-Ellis-Kaleta (Ellis only til Mair gets back)

defense will be tricky Myers is almost a necessity with the loss of numminen

Rivet-Lydman

Butler-Montador

Tallinder-Myers

Need to take the fresh attitude and create something that is going to surprise the NHL like we can

And where's Sekera? A work horse like Sekera will remain in the lineup. He'll be there 23 mpg.

Who's Myers?

Here he is:

post-1768-12531425530423_thumb.jpg

and here:

post-1768-12531425950184_thumb.jpg

and here:

post-1768-12531426174256_thumb.jpg

and here:

post-1768-12531426482415_thumb.jpg

and here:

post-1768-12531426918655_thumb.jpg

and here:

post-1768-12531427345654_thumb.jpg

and...

finally...

HERE!!!!:

post-1768-12531427676753_thumb.jpg

(the above pictures may not actually depict the Myers on the Sabres roster)

I believe that he may be the next great Sabre defenseman though.

I don't know if he cracks the roster this year. It would be great.

Somebody would have to exit if that happens (ahem...Tallinder).

Montador and Lydman have paired together before on the 2004 Calgary flames Stanley Cup Finalist team.

They lost the seven-game series, and the Cup, to the Lightning who had a defensive pairing of Nolan Pratt and Cory Sarich.

Go figure.

Vanek/Connolly/Stafford

Kennedy/Roy/Pomminstein

Hecht/Gaustad/Grier

Kaleta/MacArthur/Paille

Sniper/Playmaker/Power Forward

Playmaker/Playmaker/Sniper

Grinder/Grinder/Grinder

Hit/Jam/Jam

Notes:

Good mix on the first line, Connolly can make the passes with Stafford and Vanek putting them home. If they Connolly stay(s) healthy and play up to potential this could be a legit first line.

I think Kennedy makes the team ahead of Gerbe and from I've seen and heard he's an offensive threat and should not be on the third line.

Third line should be defensively responsible, hit and shut down a teams top line. This line is the best to do that. Also, Hecht should not come close to ever playing on a scoring line even though he's paid like a top six forward.

Kaleta hits, Mac and Paille should provide some hard work along the boards (hopefully) and make other teams expend energy. There's actually some scoring touch on this line with Paille and Mac.

Ellis knows his role and will play when told to do so. McCormick will play a Peters role. Mair is injured, and by the time he comes back someone else will be too.

Rivet/Butler

Lydman/Montador

Sekera/Weber

Notes:

As much as I want Myers here, when has Darcy ever rushed a prospect?

Weber is in the final year of his rookie contract if I remember correctly, he's gotta play.

Lydman and Montador make sense, both tough the latter maybe more than the former. I'm not as down on Lydman as many other people. Sure he takes hard to swallow penalties, but he lead the team blocked shots. I think it's more that people get bored with him.

Tallinder will need to work his way out of the Lindy Ruff dog house or he will be subbed in and out.

It seems Lindy will place him on the second line.

I hope he has a complete 180 degree turn from last year.

I personally think he'll be worth his contract this year,.. if he plays wing. He's just not a center and I don't know why it took so long to figure that out. I'm doing my best right now in refraining from a Lindy comment.

Vanek/Connolly/Stafford

Kennedy/Roy/Pomminstein

Hecht/Gaustad/Grier

Kaleta/MacArthur/Paille

Sniper/Playmaker/Power Forward

Playmaker/Playmaker/Sniper

Grinder/Grinder/Grinder

Hit/Jam/Jam

Notes:

Good mix on the first line, Connolly can make the passes with Stafford and Vanek putting them home. If they Connolly stay(s) healthy and play up to potential this could be a legit first line.

I think Kennedy makes the team ahead of Gerbe and from I've seen and heard he's an offensive threat and should not be on the third line.

Third line should be defensively responsible, hit and shut down a teams top line. This line is the best to do that. Also, Hecht should not come close to ever playing on a scoring line even though he's paid like a top six forward.

Kaleta hits, Mac and Paille should provide some hard work along the boards (hopefully) and make other teams expend energy. There's actually some scoring touch on this line with Paille and Mac.

Ellis knows his role and will play when told to do so. McCormick will play a Peters role. Mair is injured, and by the time he comes back someone else will be too.

Rivet/Butler

Lydman/Montador

Sekera/Weber

Notes:

As much as I want Myers here, when has Darcy ever rushed a prospect?

Weber is in the final year of his rookie contract if I remember correctly, he's gotta play.

Lydman and Montador make sense, both tough the latter maybe more than the former. I'm not as down on Lydman as many other people. Sure he takes hard to swallow penalties, but he lead the team blocked shots. I think it's more that people get bored with him.

Tallinder will need to work his way out of the Lindy Ruff dog house or he will be subbed in and out.

Wow, that's actually interesting what you came up with. I think I like this idea best, although I highly doubt Lindy opts to keep Hank out of the line-up. Nice job!

Wow, that's actually interesting what you came up with. I think I like this idea best, although I highly doubt Lindy opts to keep Hank out of the line-up. Nice job!

He did seem to be a healthy scratch towards the end of the season. Unless he comes out like gangbusters (which is nearly impossible) I think he may play the same role that Max did last year.

He did seem to be a healthy scratch towards the end of the season. Unless he comes out like gangbusters (which is nearly impossible) I think he may play the same role that Max did last year.

Hank can be a useful player. I really think, once the season starts, a few more minor deals will go down in the NHL and if the Sabres have too many d-men, i think it'll be easier to make a deal once the season starts. Either due to rookies failing, others not fulfilling expectations or injuries. I have a hard time believing that we would have that hard of a time to trade Tallinder.

Hank can be a useful player. I really think, once the season starts, a few more minor deals will go down in the NHL and if the Sabres have too many d-men, i think it'll be easier to make a deal once the season starts. Either due to rookies failing, others not fulfilling expectations or injuries. I have a hard time believing that we would have that hard of a time to trade Tallinder.

Well, I think Darcy tried all summer to trade him and was unsuccessful. It's hard to get someone to take a $3MM albatross these days without taking one back.

Well, I think Darcy tried all summer to trade him and was unsuccessful. It's hard to get someone to take a $3MM albatross these days without taking one back.

There's also the possibility that the return you're willing to accept changes quite a bit if certain players step it up in camp.

Nobody knows what Sabres wanted this summer for Tallinder. Maybe just a salary dump so just a mid-draft pick. Maybe now they take back a player with just a smaller amount of $$. Who knows.

There's also the possibility that the return you're willing to accept changes quite a bit if certain players step it up in camp.

Nobody knows what Sabres wanted this summer for Tallinder. Maybe just a salary dump so just a mid-draft pick. Maybe now they take back a player with just a smaller amount of $$. Who knows.

Both of these are reasonable posts. I just think that Darcy would've been happy with a straight salary dump -- ie Tallinder for a 4th-round pick -- and wasn't able to find any takers. Of course I have absolutely nothing to support that theory other than Darcy mentioning in one of his summer interviews that he thought the ability to free up salary was itself valuable (and this was in response to a question about trading players for draft picks in order to unload salary).

Now, what remains a possibility is Tallinder starting the season off and playing decently, a good team loses a couple of defensemen to injury, and suddenly the GM restarts a conversation he had with Darcy a couple of months ago about Tallinder.

Funny how Hank suddenly becomes one of the more "interesting" players on the team this year.

It could be a double-edged sword in terms of moving him early in the season. If he starts playing good, do we honestly think Darcy will move him as a salary dump? He may get greedy and blow it. If he comes out poorly, then who's going to want him? Worse yet, if he actually does hit Lindy's doghouse, we can pretty much forget about a move, unless he's somehow combined with another player.

Personally, I hope he comes out and plays lights out ala pre-broken arm, but I have about as much faith in that as I have in Perry fewell, so.....

Archived