Projected Opening Day Roster

Doohickie

I think Pommers and Connolly should be on a line together - especially if Pommers keeps up his "new" level of play.

But those two need someone on their line who is willing to crash the net, and that is not MacArthur.

That person could very well be Vanek - he has demonstrated he is willing to stand there and take a beating, and has the hands, eye coordination and skill to put the biscuit in the basket. Not a traditional "crash the net" guy, as he does it with more skill and finesse than most, but certainly capable. I think separating Vanek and Roy, our most prolific scorers, makes sense. Let Timmy feed the two snipers. Roy is more of a one man show anyway.

I don't put too much creedence in any line announced this far in advance by Ruff. May just be an honorary thing for the home opener.

That person could very well be Vanek - he has demonstrated he is willing to stand there and take a beating, and has the hands, eye coordination and skill to put the biscuit in the basket. Not a traditional "crash the net" guy, as he does it with more skill and finesse than most, but certainly capable. I think separating Vanek and Roy, our most prolific scorers, makes sense. Let Timmy feed the two snipers. Roy is more of a one man show anyway.

I don't know if I'd call Vanek a crash the net type of guy, but I do like the idea of a Vanek, Connolly, Pommers line none the less. Connolly would set up the play, Pommers could snipe, and Vanek would tip it in.

I see Stafford and Vanek as having somewhat similar roles, actually: the skill in front of the net. The argue could be made that Stafford would be the crasher on the Vanek line. I don't know, I'd like to see those guys split up and allow their skill to help the less skilled players score goals.

You underestimate the weight of being a first round draft pick. He'll have a spot for that reason alone.

I hear you. Paille better play out of his mind then because his play hasn't been good enough since he's been a regular IMO. Where is the power forward he was supposed to become?

I hear you. Paille better play out of his mind then because his play hasn't been good enough since he's been a regular IMO. Where is the power forward he was supposed to become?

I think a lot rides on Paille, Stafford and MacArthur this year. If all three take huge steps, much like Pominville, Roy and Vanek did a few years back, the Sabres may become a threat. Don't get me wrong this team will go as far as Miller, Vanek, Connolly, Roy and Pominville can take them, but if they don't get support from the other guys, it could be a long season.

As far as the opening day roster, I'm curious as to when the final cuts will be. They are done with preseason, correct? Has Gerbe, Kennedy or Myers played their way onto the roster? Any out of left field surprises? Can't wait until the season starts!

Although I didn't see a lot of the preseason games of what I did see I gotta say I was impressed by Kennedy. I hope he makes the opening night roster. Let's see what he can do.

If he makes the team, he has to be on the top 2 lines. The only player I can see him taking a spot from in MacArthur, and from all accounts, he's had a great camp. I think he'll be a victim of numbers. Putting him out there on a line with Grier and Goose or Ellis and Kaleta would almost be pointless. Literally...

If he makes the team, he has to be on the top 2 lines. The only player I can see him taking a spot from in MacArthur, and from all accounts, he's had a great camp. I think he'll be a victim of numbers. Putting him out there on a line with Grier and Goose or Ellis and Kaleta would almost be pointless. Literally...

You are exactly right, these guys are a waste/ineffective on a checking line or in a 4th line role - so the question becomes, what do you do with a bunch of maybe top six talent, which is what Kennedy, Gerbe, and few others represent?

Choice #1 - Let them rot in the minors until someone moves, on gets injured. See Mancari, Mark;

Choice #2 - Try to package them for a legit, proven top six forward who will make the team better NOW; or

Choice #3 - Play an unconventional 3rd scoring line and try to outscore your opponents 6-4 every night. Defense be damned! The city would love it and there in precedent for success. See Vanek, Roy and Max circa 2005-6, 2006-7.

You are exactly right, these guys are a waste/ineffective on a checking line or in a 4th line role - so the question becomes, what do you do with a bunch of maybe top six talent, which is what Kennedy, Gerbe, and few others represent?

Choice #1 - Let them rot in the minors until someone moves, on gets injured. See Mancari, Mark;

I just don't think he ever did what the Sabres asked of him. He can dominate the AHL but in order for him to be an effective NHL player he needed to make his presence felt. I just don't think he ever did it when he was up.

Choice #2 - Try to package them for a legit, proven top six forward who will make the team better NOW; or
In theoryit sounds nice, but I can't imagine any takers for that package, and it's not like the Sabres have any cap room to make a move like that.

Choice #3 - Play an unconventional 3rd scoring line and try to outscore your opponents 6-4 every night. Defense be damned! The city would love it and there in precedent for success. See Vanek, Roy and Max circa 2005-6, 2006-7.

Also a novel approach but the problem is that whoever you throw on that third line (Kennedy, Gerbe, Paille, MacArthur) would not even approach the level of talent that RAV line had.

I agree, Kennedy will be of no use on a checking line and I agree that the only obvious spot would be in place of MacArthur, but I think this guy is too good not to be in the line-up soon. Our top six forwards had better be on their toes with this guy waiting in the wings.

I just don't think he ever did what the Sabres asked of him. He can dominate the AHL but in order for him to be an effective NHL player he needed to make his presence felt. I just don't think he ever did it when he was up.

In theoryit sounds nice, but I can't imagine any takers for that package, and it's not like the Sabres have any cap room to make a move like that.

Also a novel approach but the problem is that whoever you throw on that third line (Kennedy, Gerbe, Paille, MacArthur) would not even approach the level of talent that RAV line had.

I know, no easy answers for the log jam they have created. Guess that's what happens when you hoard picks like they are gold and actually use them on players who may have a shot at playing in the bigs. The grass is always greener, so their is bias in wanting to see the kids maybe do what The General, Paille and the rest haven't been able to to this point. Depth is great, but at some point you have to find out whether your depth can produce in the top six.

Wasn't really arguing that Mancari has earned/should be on the roster, even though he hasn't been given much of a chance. He's just an example of someone who has spent four long years in the AHL, done everything there he could be asked to do, and has barely caught a sniff of NHL air.

Don't want to see that happen with the next wave of talent.

If they want to get a guy like Kennedy into this lineup, even in the next couple years, something is going to have change. Take a look at those so called top 6 guys that are being mentioned here:

-Vanek: signed through 2014

-Pominville: signed through 2014

-Roy: signed through 2013

-Connolly: signed through 2011

-Stafford: RFA after 2011

-MacArthur: RFA after 2010

None of those spots are going to magically open up soon without some sort of move. Either they trade someone or some of these kids are going to have to play a role other than that top 2 line one we keep mentioning.

MacArthur, ... from all accounts, he's had a great camp.

just watched the highlights on the sabres edge blog

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2009/09/sabresleafs-highlights.html

it was the first real action i've seen all preseason -- macarthur did look good in the footage i saw.

Choice #4 - Try to package someone in the top 6 currently to help a position of weakness or build for stockpile draft picks. I still believe Roy could have brought back a very nice return with his talent and contract status.

PS I hate Choice #3 now and then

If they want to get a guy like Kennedy into this lineup, even in the next couple years, something is going to have change. Take a look at those so called top 6 guys that are being mentioned here:

-Connolly: signed through 2012

None of those spots are going to magically open up soon without some sort of move. Either they trade someone or some of these kids are going to have to play a role other than that top 2 line one we keep mentioning.

That's my worry. How long will these guys have to wait for their chance?

-Connolly: signed through 2012

Connolly through 2011. ;)

Two other things...

1.) If the Sabres miss the playoffs this year, it will be the 3rd year in a row of an early exit with basically the same top 6 minus MacArthur. At that point, DR would have to consider making a major change including one of the top 6, wouldn't he?

I would stand by this statement even if they made the playoffs and got blasted in the 1st round.

2.) I think Kennedy has enough of a well rounded game to be a 3rd liner for a season or two. Gerbe not so much.

Choice #4 - Try to package someone in the top 6 currently to help a position of weakness or build for stockpile draft picks. I still believe Roy could have brought back a very nice return with his talent and contract status.

Sure, Darcy could trade Roy in a heart beat! But would the return you would get for Roy be any better than a 20 something (25?) year old center who plays both ends of the ice, is never hurt, and is nearly a point a game player? The one center on the team capable of playing on the top two lines who can actually be counted on to be in the lineup 80+ games a year? Trade away our best player at probably our weakest position? He and Vanek are the only two I WOULDN'T trade! Sure, he has his warts. He's not 6'4", isn't a big checker, isn't much of a leader, and is prone to whining and the occasional sausage grab. But, he's pretty much quit the diving, and is signed long term for 60% of what the very few top flight centers in this league make. I wish we had two more players exactly like him.

Two other things...

1.) If the Sabres miss the playoffs this year, it will be the 3rd year in a row of an early exit with basically the same top 6 minus MacArthur. At that point, DR would have to consider making a major change including one of the top 6, wouldn't he?

I would stand by this statement even if they made the playoffs and got blasted in the 1st round.

2.) I think Kennedy has enough of a well rounded game to be a 3rd liner for a season or two. Gerbe not so much.

The respective ages left to right, for the Sabres top two lines in 2009. They're just hitting their prime (minus Connolly).

IMO they have the entire 2009-10 season to show they belong on the top 6 here.

As long as Jochen Hecht doesn't magically appear in the top 6, I think this group will get it done....

Trade Roy away for a top defenseman, put Kennedy in at center. Not this year, but maybe next, full time. He's really impressed me so far.

Archived