[OT] 40th Anniversary of Apollo 11 Moon Landing

cdexchange

So PA, it must have been special watching that with all your grandchildren gathered around you... :chris:

No, seriously, I was only 3 months old when it happened, and most of you weren't even close to being born yet. Are any of you old enough to recall watching it live, and if so tell us whippersnappers what it felt like to watch that.

(and if any "fake landing" conspiracy wingnuts are tempted to chime in, please just keep your lunacy to yourself and read this instead: http://www.thekeyboard.org.uk/Did%20we%20l...the%20Moon.htm)

I was 7 years old at the time. It was a big deal and everyone in the neighborhood had their TV on watching . I just remember it was real cool and at night I would go outside and look at the moon and think about the guys up there.

So PA, it must have been special watching that with all your grandchildren gathered around you... :chris:

No, seriously, I was only 3 months old when it happened, and most of you weren't even close to being born yet. Are any of you old enough to recall watching it live, and if so tell us whippersnappers what it felt like to watch that.

(and if any "fake landing" conspiracy wingnuts are tempted to chime in, please just keep your lunacy to yourself and read this instead: http://www.thekeyboard.org.uk/Did%20we%20l...the%20Moon.htm)

It's a little ironic that your link doesn't go anywhere. Are you in on it?

I was reading that NASA actually taped over the reel tapes and lost all the video/film of the event. they had a shortage of tapes and taped over a bunch of reels.

They are currently putting together a new tape, all remastered from originals that are from the news, Australia and such to put it all back together. Same people that re-did Casablanca I think.

I was 7 years old at the time. It was a big deal and everyone in the neighborhood had their TV on watching . I just remember it was real cool and at night I would go outside and look at the moon and think about the guys up there.

I was a few weeks shy of 8. We were in Maine on vacation and I had a hard time staying up late to watch the initial moonwalk, but made it. I vividly recall Walter cronkite being speechless. My world stopped for Apollo missions - we got to watch blastoff's and splashdowns on tv in school and collectively held our breath during the time the spacecraft was out of touch on the "dark side of the moon".

I currently have the a realtime audio of the mission playing on the background of my computer - I remain fascinated 40 years later. The only change is that I have no plans to be an astronaut when I grow up!

I was 13 years old when the moon landing happened - I was in junior high school. I had been a big fan of the space program since Mercury, so I knew all of the acronyms (LEM - Lunar Excursion Module, LOI - Lunar Orbit Insertion, etc...) Most parents let their kids stay up late so they could see man walking on the moon. It was literally breathtaking. Not only was a human walking on the moon, we were sitting in our living rooms WATCHING it live on TV (well, minus the slight time delay for the signals to reach Earth from the moon). That we had that kind of technology back in 1969 still kind of amazes me. I have to say that it is still one of the all-time coolest things ever to have seen. It difficult to understand the impact it had in 1969 - if any of you saw the Walter Cronkite retrospective last night on CBS, they showed Walter when the Eagle (code name for the lunar module) landed on the moon. He was quite literally speechless. If something made Walter Cronkite, the most trusted man in the world, choke up, it had to be really, really big.

It definitely was faked. Apollo went in through the side of the netting, and Armstrong's skate was in the crease.

I remember getting really frustrated with watching the NASA simulation while the live audio feeds came in. I clearly remember my dad saying, "We are watching history being made." And me replying, "We're just LISTENING to history being made." Then, as if on cue, the live video feeds started transmitting. I'll never forget it. Has it really been 40 years? Do we really take it for granted that the shuttle missions AREN'T just a trip to the corner store?

It's a little ironic that your link doesn't go anywhere. Are you in on it?

hahaha...

It's weird, when you click the link it adds my ending ) onto the URL, even though you can clearly see that the ) isn't underlined in the link I provided and should therefore not be included in the URL. Why the heck is it doing that I wonder?

Anyways, just delete the ) in your address bar and it works fine. Or, just click on this link that actually works: http://www.thekeyboard.org.uk/Did%20we%20l...0the%20Moon.htm

Thanks for pointing that out.

I was 13 years old when the moon landing happened - I was in junior high school. I had been a big fan of the space program since Mercury, so I knew all of the acronyms (LEM - Lunar Excursion Module, LOI - Lunar Orbit Insertion, etc...) Most parents let their kids stay up late so they could see man walking on the moon. It was literally breathtaking. Not only was a human walking on the moon, we were sitting in our living rooms WATCHING it live on TV (well, minus the slight time delay for the signals to reach Earth from the moon). That we had that kind of technology back in 1969 still kind of amazes me. I have to say that it is still one of the all-time coolest things ever to have seen. It difficult to understand the impact it had in 1969 - if any of you saw the Walter Cronkite retrospective last night on CBS, they showed Walter when the Eagle (code name for the lunar module) landed on the moon. He was quite literally speechless. If something made Walter Cronkite, the most trusted man in the world, choke up, it had to be really, really big.

That's very, very cool. :thumbsup:

I was eight. I can't remember watching it live, so I presume I was sleeping. I do remember teachers rolling in TVs to watch other blastoffs and subsequent moon walks.

I remember the first shuttle launch and landing.

What I still see clear as a bell to this day though is. "Challenger go with throttle up". That is truly a day when everything in my office stopped.

I can remember three such events where people just stopped working:

1. Challenger

2. 9/11

3. OJ Simpson verdict

I was 5 and vaguely remember it because my folks put me in the front of the TV and we used to go up to Canada to vacation and spent a lot of time looking at the stars. Though with all the re-runs, NASA books that I have and my interest in Astronomy... got me through my science reqs. in undergrad easily, I am not sure how authentic my original memory, except hearing Neal Armstrongs voice tells me my memory is true.

On 9/11 I was watching NY and then running in DC

I remember Nixon's resignation, listened to it on a radio up in Canada.

I was eight. I can't remember watching it live, so I presume I was sleeping. I do remember teachers rolling in TVs to watch other blastoffs and subsequent moon walks.

I remember the first shuttle launch and landing.

What I still see clear as a bell to this day though is. "Challenger go with throttle up". That is truly a day when everything in my office stopped.

I can remember three such events where people just stopped working:

1. Challenger

2. 9/11

3. OJ Simpson verdict

I hate the fact that the 3rd one is on that list. It has no reason to be there, and this was BEFORE the media became what it is today. Maybe that was the turning point.

I was devasted to find out, accidentally, because of the 40th anniversary coverage, that the following is actually an urban legend:

That Neil Armstrong uttered a cryptic phrase during his time on the moon -- "Good luck, Mr. Gorsky." And explained it many years later by saying that as a boy he overheard his neighbors having a fight. Mrs. Gorsky yelled at her husband: "Oral sex! Oral sex? You'll get oral sex when the boy next door walks on the moon!"

Still pretty funny.

Don't even get me started as to whether Johnny Carson told Raquel Welch to move that damn cat.

I was devasted to find out, accidentally, because of the 40th anniversary coverage, that the following is actually an urban legend:

That Neil Armstrong uttered a cryptic phrase during his time on the moon -- "Good luck, Mr. Gorsky." And explained it many years later by saying that as a boy he overheard his neighbors having a fight. Mrs. Gorsky yelled at her husband: "Oral sex! Oral sex? You'll get oral sex when the boy next door walks on the moon!"

Still pretty funny.

Don't even get me started as to whether Johnny Carson told Raquel Welch to move that damn cat.

Can I pet your @#$#@$

On 9/11 I was watching NY and then running in DC

Same here. I lived in Foggy Bottom, and was only 6 blocks from work. I ended up hosting a ton of coworkers and friends who couldn't get over the bridges to the Va. suburbs.

Archived