SUMMER REVIEW

Lethbridge Broncos

Myers

Is two years away. He has trouble with speedy wingers going around him. In junior he got burned on the edge constanly. I've seen him get turned around far to many times. He needs some major seasoning -- as an NHL winger would go right past him. He can skate and he is somewhat physical when he wants to be. He is a good team guy. He shot is average. I would say he is a combination of Hal Gill, Bill Hajt and 1/2 of Chara. All in all, he will be servicable. I don't see him being a savior in any way. He will just be a good pro.

Gerbe

Will play 80 games for Buffalo this season. He is a clever little water bug and he will contribute. He will take off this season -- and will play aggressive. His hadns are very soft and he will score. He was way too laid back. He needs to be the leader and will take the dressing room over soon. THis guy is the linchpin to his team. He carried his BC teams.

Kaleta

Won't last long if he keeps getting hit in his head. The guy is a pinball and needs to protect himself. He is the leader of the scrubs -- and makes Mair retire, hopefully.

Madator

Will take pressure of Rivet to have to police every game. This guy is a career fighter and mean bastard. I like his grit and he has learned to be an alright 5 or 6 defender and NOT look out of place. Rivert was left alone far to many times. He has a fellow fighter to help him now.

Pominville

Can't create offense on his own. Is weak along the boards. Is Ray Sheppard PART II. He has a GREAT shot -- but its hard to get shots off in this league. Brett Hull had a low center of gravity and would crash the net and pucks would find him. Hull also played with Adam Oates, Neiwendyke, Wayne #99, Mike Modano and Stevie Y. Pominville needs a center to feed him -- and he could score 30-35. Without the world class center -- he looks like Toni Tanti in his last year as a pro.

Myers

Is two years away. He has trouble with speedy wingers going around him. In junior he got burned on the edge constanly. I've seen him get turned around far to many times. He needs some major seasoning -- as an NHL winger would go right past him. He can skate and he is somewhat physical when he wants to be. He is a good team guy. He shot is average. I would say he is a combination of Hal Gill, Bill Hajt and 1/2 of Chara. All in all, he will be servicable. I don't see him being a savior in any way. He will just be a good pro.

Gerbe

Will play 80 games for Buffalo this season. He is a clever little water bug and he will contribute. He will take off this season -- and will play aggressive. His hadns are very soft and he will score. He was way too laid back. He needs to be the leader and will take the dressing room over soon. THis guy is the linchpin to his team. He carried his BC teams.

Kaleta

Won't last long if he keeps getting hit in his head. The guy is a pinball and needs to protect himself. He is the leader of the scrubs -- and makes Mair retire, hopefully.

Madator

Will take pressure of Rivet to have to police every game. This guy is a career fighter and mean bastard. I like his grit and he has learned to be an alright 5 or 6 defender and NOT look out of place. Rivert was left alone far to many times. He has a fellow fighter to help him now.

Pominville

Can't create offense on his own. Is weak along the boards. Is Ray Sheppard PART II. He has a GREAT shot -- but its hard to get shots off in this league. Brett Hull had a low center of gravity and would crash the net and pucks would find him. Hull also played with Adam Oates, Neiwendyke, Wayne #99, Mike Modano and Stevie Y. Pominville needs a center to feed him -- and he could score 30-35. Without the world class center -- he looks like Toni Tanti in his last year as a pro.

LB -- I admire your spirit and agree with a number of points in this post, but the bolded part is crazy.

Gerbe

that prediction is as bold as it is bizarre. i believe it's wildly unlikely that this comes to pass. and i am a bc alum who's pulling for the kid.

Pominville

this is closer to the mark - but the fact is that pominville bested his point production the year after briere left. i think he struggled under the weight of his contract last year; this year will give us a clear sense of whether he can regain his form.

What are you reviewing exactly? Four days of prospect camp for Myers and Gerbe, maybe ... Kaleta has spend the offseason with his wrist in a cast and as far as I know Pominville hasn't skated publicly so ... you are actually reviewing last season, I guess.

Myers may be two years away from being a good NHL defenseman but he's going to get there faster by playing in Buffalo and adjusting to the NHL game. If he is a good NHL defenseman at 21, I will be thrilled.

I agree with Smell on Gerbe ... if he is the leader they have been looking for and produces consistently for 80 games this season I will be stunned. If he was ready to do that he should have dominated much more in the AHL. And if it is because he was tentative, how is he supposed to lead in the NHL if he wasn't assertive enough to dominate like he supposedly can in the AHL? I am just not sold on the kid yet, and yes it has everything to do with his size. He's going to have to prove it to me.

What are you reviewing exactly? Four days of prospect camp for Myers and Gerbe, maybe ... Kaleta has spend the offseason with his wrist in a cast and as far as I know Pominville hasn't skated publicly so ... you are actually reviewing last season, I guess.

Myers may be two years away from being a good NHL defenseman but he's going to get there faster by playing in Buffalo and adjusting to the NHL game. If he is a good NHL defenseman at 21, I will be thrilled.

I agree with Smell on Gerbe ... if he is the leader they have been looking for and produces consistently for 80 games this season I will be stunned. If he was ready to do that he should have dominated much more in the AHL. And if it is because he was tentative, how is he supposed to lead in the NHL if he wasn't assertive enough to dominate like he supposedly can in the AHL? I am just not sold on the kid yet, and yes it has everything to do with his size. He's going to have to prove it to me.

I'm kind of afraid of what DeLuca will say when he reads this. Really. I'm physically shaking. Can we just delete this thread and pretend it never happened?

I'm kind of afraid of what DeLuca will say when he reads this. Really. I'm physically shaking. Can we just delete this thread and pretend it never happened?

Really? What am I missing? Is he a big Gerbe guy? I admit I haven't been around much this summer but ... it's kinda negative ... DeLuca loves negative ...

That Gerbe stuff is hilarious. He may have led them statistically one year, but he was not the leader of that team. He rode on Brian Boyle's shoulders for two years and then the NC team was Dan Bertram's team. They had a good group of seniors and Gerbe thrived behind them.

The Sabres summer is over.

Look, the bottom line is that Buffalo is LUCKY to have a team. In this economy, with the depressed state of the city and Erie county - to have a hockey team is a BONUS. IT IS pure luck. Thank the Knox brothers for paying their dues and Bettman honoring those brothers hard work. It may not last forever -- so enjoy it. This club lost money last year and the year before and the year before, etc.

No free agents will ever come here -- ever. No one wants a low salary and to live in a depressed city with nothing going on or anything to do. Players want big cities with big potential for MONEY and contracts. Agents run the game now -- these are very smart lawyers who could care less about fans, tradition, etc. Seymore Knox is about as important to any Sabre as what you had for lunch today. So this is the starting place, Buffalo is lucky to have a team. And the front office knows this. They are not idiots. Regier used to live in NYC -- he is a savvy customer. Golisano is worth billions. Quinn is a millionare. So, this is a bunch of rich guys trying to living a dream of assembling a hockey team (NHL) in a small market city where they can avoid traffic, long commutes, mean neighbors, bad food, pricey housing, etc. They have dream jobs. They are NHL executives in an easy city to live in. ALso, they have NO NO NO fan pressure. Fans let them run the roost with no penalty for doing a job.

The idea here is to have a team and have hockey in Buffalo. It is not to spend money or stick your neck out. The team lives and dies by the draft. A bad crop -- and it is a set back. They need to get two veteran forwards that have size. Ryan Malone and BLair Betts would be on my team. Then they need to get rid of Tallinder -- he sucks. They then need to get rid of HEcht and replace him with Gerbe. LAStly, they need to replace Paille. They might have a chance then, if they could keep COnnolly healthy. Moore should be resigned, he is a good draw guy and had a great season until his trade. he was injured late as well. But he is a good little player.

Really? What am I missing? Is he a big Gerbe guy? I admit I haven't been around much this summer but ... it's kinda negative ... DeLuca loves negative ...

Actually I just love giving honest responses. If they seem negative it may be because the Sabres don't give their fans anything positive to talk about. Getting excited about Matt Ellis or Steve Montador seems a bit forced to me. I guess I remember when the offseason was the time to get juiced up about the upcoming season. Recently the Sabres have given the fans a plate of crap to eat. Unlike some here I can't pretend it's apple pie.

Gerbe? He's fast and tiny. What he is going to have to adjust to that a lot of guys in the NHL are really fast and not all are tiny. All the leadership talk is just fans dipping their fork into the plate of crap and asking "is this dutch apple?"

The one constant the Wings always had, was Steve Yzerman. And then Lindstrom for the next 15-20 years. Buffalo has not had a star to rally around since Gilbert or LaFontaine. Mike Ramsey was a special player as well. But they need a leader. A real captain. A force on the ice who commands respect. Insted, they have 8 shrimp rodeo midgets skate around.

No free agents will ever come here -- ever. No one wants a low salary and to live in a depressed city with nothing going on or anything to do. Players want big cities with big potential for MONEY and contracts.

I was going to somewhat come to your defense until this. Look, I don't know where you're from, or who you are, but I essentially came here as a "free agent" myself--I moved voluntarily from a much bigger city, and on most fronts, I'm happy that I did so. There is more to do here than there is to do in Dallas or Phoenix or Saint Louis, despite the difference in size. For a hockey player, there is more opportunity (for fun) here than in most American cities, completely regardless of size. There is a reason why so many former NHL players--some of whom have no connection with the Sabres, or a slim one--live here.

Look, if you're a Sabres fan and you're frustrated with the lack of signings, fine. But it's pretty clear that you've never lived here, that you have no concept of the local culture, and that you know nothing about Buffalo as a metropolitan area.

Enjoy Lethbridge.

Look, the bottom line is that Buffalo is LUCKY to have a team. In this economy, with the depressed state of the city and Erie county - to have a hockey team is a BONUS. IT IS pure luck. Thank the Knox brothers for paying their dues and Bettman honoring those brothers hard work. It may not last forever -- so enjoy it. This club lost money last year and the year before and the year before, etc.

No free agents will ever come here -- ever. No one wants a low salary and to live in a depressed city with nothing going on or anything to do. Players want big cities with big potential for MONEY and contracts. Agents run the game now -- these are very smart lawyers who could care less about fans, tradition, etc. Seymore Knox is about as important to any Sabre as what you had for lunch today. So this is the starting place, Buffalo is lucky to have a team. And the front office knows this. They are not idiots. Regier used to live in NYC -- he is a savvy customer. Golisano is worth billions. Quinn is a millionare. So, this is a bunch of rich guys trying to living a dream of assembling a hockey team (NHL) in a small market city where they can avoid traffic, long commutes, mean neighbors, bad food, pricey housing, etc. They have dream jobs. They are NHL executives in an easy city to live in. ALso, they have NO NO NO fan pressure. Fans let them run the roost with no penalty for doing a job.

The idea here is to have a team and have hockey in Buffalo. It is not to spend money or stick your neck out. The team lives and dies by the draft. A bad crop -- and it is a set back. They need to get two veteran forwards that have size. Ryan Malone and BLair Betts would be on my team. Then they need to get rid of Tallinder -- he sucks. They then need to get rid of HEcht and replace him with Gerbe. LAStly, they need to replace Paille. They might have a chance then, if they could keep COnnolly healthy. Moore should be resigned, he is a good draw guy and had a great season until his trade. he was injured late as well. But he is a good little player.

:lol: :lol:

Look, the bottom line is that Buffalo is LUCKY to have a team. In this economy, with the depressed state of the city and Erie county - to have a hockey team is a BONUS. IT IS pure luck. Thank the Knox brothers for paying their dues and Bettman honoring those brothers hard work. It may not last forever -- so enjoy it. This club lost money last year and the year before and the year before, etc. No free agents will ever come here -- ever. No one wants a low salary and to live in a depressed city with nothing going on or anything to do. Players want big cities with big potential for MONEY and contracts. Agents run the game now -- these are very smart lawyers who could care less about fans, tradition, etc. Seymore Knox is about as important to any Sabre as what you had for lunch today. So this is the starting place, Buffalo is lucky to have a team. And the front office knows this. They are not idiots. Regier used to live in NYC -- he is a savvy customer. Golisano is worth billions. Quinn is a millionare. So, this is a bunch of rich guys trying to living a dream of assembling a hockey team (NHL) in a small market city where they can avoid traffic, long commutes, mean neighbors, bad food, pricey housing, etc. They have dream jobs. They are NHL executives in an easy city to live in. ALso, they have NO NO NO fan pressure. Fans let them run the roost with no penalty for doing a job.

Pure nonsense. The club has been in the black since the lockout. Even TG has admitted that.

Pure nonsense. The club has been in the black since the lockout. Even TG has admitted that.

Nice call. I knew i smelled something here other than the Aud Smell. Come on Lethridge. Next you'll be telling me that Mancari is the new face of the franchise.

I apologize for this person's comments. Usually we grow them much brighter in BC but one has obviously slipped through the cracks. Although Cranbrook is on Alberta time, so that probably explains it. Tom Foolery, pure and simple.

So far...

Buffalo Sabres

Player Pos. Details

Additions

T.J. Brennan D April 18: Signed a three-year, entry-level contract

Paul Byron C June 1: Signed a three-year, entry-level contract

Joe DiPenta D July 11: Signed a one-year, $550,000 contract

Matt Generous D April 1: Signed a one-year, entry-level contract

Steve Montador D July 1: Signed a two-year, $3.1 million contract

Tyler Myers D May 11: Signed a three-year, entry-level contract

Drew Schiestel D April 18: Signed a three-year, entry-level contract

Travis Turnbull F April 6: Signed a two-year, entry-level contract