The Music Thread

darksabre

I agree with your assessment. The older real bluesy stuff like tres hombres and rio grande mud to name a couple were so much better than their stab at the mass market. Getting back to what got them here is sounding good. I recently read a good interview with Billy Gibbens and Dan Auerbach of the Black keys in Rolling Stone where they discuss all the old american blues greats and their styles and in particular what it was about those guys that originally got them interested in the blues. A real good read.

Hey Bun,

All this talk of older Top has put this in my head. Not complaining ...

You know our friends to our south, at least all my relatives and friends down there, have a crazy (IMO) way to say the last letter of the English alphabet. They say Zed and not, the more proper (IMO), Zee.

So, Z(ee) Z(ee) Top would be Z(ed) Z(ed) Top. And, the sports car wanna be by Chevy ... Z(ee)28 would be Z(ed)28. To me that's just plain silly ... :P .

You know our friends to our south, at least all my relatives and friends down there, have a crazy (IMO) way to say the last letter of the English alphabet. They say Zed and not, the more proper (IMO), Zee.

So, Z(ee) Z(ee) Top would be Z(ed) Z(ed) Top. And, the sports car wanna be by Chevy ... Z(ee)28 would be Z(ed)28. To me that's just plain silly ... :P .

Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead ...

• 2 weeks later...

Ever since the discussion in the Politics thread about which Rocky Horror character the candidates would dress up as, I've had this in my head ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh7R8fU3zII

Not complaining mind you. I love The Time Warp and the Rocky Horror.

=====

NS out ... thunderstorm here now.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

NS reporting for duty ... thunderstorm over, for now, expected to come and go all day. Thanks, Sandy.

Anyway, Time Warp and this ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJRGBWZLzSo&feature=BFa&list=AL94UKMTqg-9B7IcMYbKuoyn5z7FG9gz9Q

... are doing that dueling banjo thing in my head.

Fond memories of my youth on both accounts.

Something completely new for me. I'm not much of fan of country, at least not the usual Nashville hit machine crap. But this guy's stuff moves me. Took Dad's and Grandad's attitude and drove it over a cliff.

Warning, most of his stuff is NSFW, including this one.

And if you are really looking for something different, youtube up his stuff that he made with Assjack. Thrash metal meets outlaw country. :blink:

• 3 weeks later...

Celtic music can be so fascinating. Never mind the Chieftains. Clannad popularized it hands down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsxfa2F3UHc

While, this song is a traditional Newfoundland tune, the Celtic flavour comes through loud and clear.

Lots of fiddles, whistles, button accordions and ... of course, beer ... :beer:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With the New Year just around the corner I'm feeling nostalgic this afternoon.

I was 20 when this song came out in 1985. IMO, not a better time to be in your late teens / early 20s than in the late 70s to mid-80s.

The dance clubs, the music, the clothes, the hairstyles and men not afraid to wear tasteful eye and lip liner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5t-6qqjtq8