[OT] A couple of national anthem etiquette questions

LabattBlue

59 members have voted

1. 1. Do you put your hand over your heart during the singing of the national anthem?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you remove your hat during the singing of the natioanl anthem?

• Yes
    • No

At RIT hockey games we yell TIGERS! over "brave" at the end...It's not out of disrespect or anything, it's just what we do.

We also unfurl a 20ft by 30ft American Flag over our corner of the arena and the people under it push it up and down during "banner yet wave".

So I guess you could say we try to balance it out.

I can't help but think that anthems before professional sporting events are a very stupid tradition that I enjoy.

I once went to a Movie theater in Asia where everyone stood for the national anthem before the movie started,

I commented to my host that I thought it was strange, and he shrugged and said it was no stranger than playing

an Anthem before a game of baseball.

I can't help but think that anthems before professional sporting events are a very stupid tradition that I enjoy.

I once went to a Movie theater in Asia where everyone stood for the national anthem before the movie started,

I commented to my host that I thought it was strange, and he shrugged and said it was no stranger than playing

I said something just like this in another thread. I still don't understand why we sing national anthems before sporting events, but I don't have a problem with it. Do they do this before domestic competitions in countries outside of North America?

Oh, and if I'm wearing a hat, I remove it; I do put my hand over my heart, and I actually sing the anthem.

I hate when dorks shout out during the anthem or yell RED or other things. If you want to harass folks for hand on heart and hat off also harass folks about remaining silent till the end

Red?

I don't get it.

When I served, it was standard at every movie theatre on every military installation to play the anthem before the movie. Everyone stood - silent - with their hands over their hearts or saluting if in uniform until it was over.

It doesn't matter to me when it's played. I have a low opinion of people who can't seem to be able to take a moment out of their ever so f'ing important selves to show the proper respect for the symbol of freedom that they enjoy, and for those that gave their lives to defend it. The least you can do is remove your hat, shut up and stand still for a minute.

When I served, it was standard at every movie theatre on every military installation to play the anthem before the movie. Everyone stood - silent - with their hands over their hearts or saluting if in uniform until it was over.

It doesn't matter to me when it's played. I have a low opinion of people who can't seem to be able to take a moment out of their ever so f'ing important selves to show the proper respect for the symbol of freedom that they enjoy, and for those that gave their lives to defend it. The least you can do is remove your hat, shut up and stand still for a minute.

I wonder how many people have actually been taught about the hand over heart gesture (with hat in hand, at that!)? God knows, you can't teach such things in school any more. Actually, to be honest, I wasn't sure about the hand over heart etiquette and for some reason thought only women should do that. I've never done it.

The tradition of playing the national anthem before a sporting event started during WWII to give pause to remember those fighting overseas and would not be enjoying the national pastime. The tradition stuck. It's still a good thing. If it weren't played at sporting events, we would rarely hear it. It's better to keep it.

Laying it on thick, but very true.

I like the whole production really. Not only is it honoring the men and women overseas, but I think it adds to the suspense of a big game. Even if we haven't had one of those in awhile.

Archived