The Tyler Myers Progression Thread

sabreskings3623

The best defenceman in the Western Hockey League. That?s what Ryan Huska(Rockets coach) calls Tyler Myers.

?He was our best player in the first round,? Huska said, referring to Kelowna?s four-game sweep of Kamloops in WHL playoff action, a series capped last Wednesday when the Rockets posted a convincing 5-3 victory in Game 4.

?I thought he was the best player in the series. He did a lot of things well, and when he?s playing with that little bit of extra confidence, his skating gets magnified. His ability, as a 6-foot-8 player, gets magnified as well.?

Later this week and next, the Kelowna Rockets will need every inch of the towering blue-liner when second-round action starts.

?I know I?m going to have a role of shutting top lines down on the other team,? said Myers, who logged a good 30 minutes of ice time in all four games against Kamloops. ?So I want to make sure I do a good job of that. I?m trying to stay fit off the ice, so when I do play, I can play those minutes.?

?To me, he?s night and day from last season,? Huska said of Myers, who was selected 12th overall by Buffalo in the NHL?s 2008 entry draft last June. ?He?s scary . . . I think he?s the best defenceman in the league right now.

?He does everything so well, especially defensively. It?s hard for guys to come down his wing

because he puts his stick out and pokes pucks away. And when you look at how he?s gaining confidence, especially on offence, he?s developing into a well-rounded player.?

Huska wasn?t alone in seeing Myers? impact.

?If there was an MVP in the series, it had to be Tyler Myers,? said Kamloops Daily News sports editor Gregg Drinnan. ?I would suggest he got more ice time than any other player on either team. He played on the power play. He killed penalties. And while Cody Almond scored the tying goal in Game 3 with 2.9 seconds left in the third period, it was Myers who made it all possible with a determined rush from his own zone as the clock ticked down under 10 seconds.

?The Buffalo Sabres must have been smiling.?

Asked if he likes the extra minutes, and thus the spotlight, Myers said yes.

?Sometimes it can be hard on the body, but, over this season, I?ve learned how to deal with the (extra) ice time,? said Myers. ?It?s been getting better and better as the season?s going on, and I feel confident I can handle those minutes.?

?I think Buffalo will probably look to him in the future as a guy who?ll play the bulk of their minutes.?

So, will Myers follow Schenn?s footsteps and jump to the NHL with two seasons of junior eligibility left?

?The way he?s going, I would assume so,? said Huska. ?But you never know.?

- Kelowna Daily Courier

Oh man. Tyler Myers is looking to be an orgasmically good stud defenseman for us. He was a force at the WJC's, and seems to have gotten even better since then. Who knows, maybe he will crack the Sabres lineup next year. He's turned into an all around monster, grown another inch(he's now 6'8", 211lbs) is capable of eating up 30-35 minutes of ice time a game, quarterbacking the powerplay, killing-penalties, and not to mention he hits and fights on a consistent basis, and is starting to contribute on offense a lot more. He has so much potential, and I can't wait to see him in blue & gold. What are his chances of making the Sabres out of camp this fall? I think it's a real possibility that he does.

Oh man. Tyler Myers is looking to be an orgasmically good stud defenseman for us. He was a force at the WJC's, and seems to have gotten even better since then. Who knows, maybe he will crack the Sabres lineup next year. He's turned into an all around monster, grown another inch(he's now 6'8", 211lbs) is capable of eating up 30-35 minutes of ice time a game, quarterbacking the powerplay, killing-penalties, and not to mention he hits and fights on a consistent basis, and is starting to contribute on offense a lot more. He has so much potential, and I can't wait to see him in blue & gold. What are his chances of making the Sabres out of camp this fall? I think it's a real possibility that he does.

I don't know, but I think I'm in love. :wub:

Hey, I'm supposed to be the one with the Myers' updates. Kelowna is my where I live and it's my job. :nana:

You are the resident expert. So how accurate is his assessment...

Tyler Myers is looking to be an orgasmically good stud defenseman for us. He was a force at the WJC's, and seems to have gotten even better since then. Who knows, maybe he will crack the Sabres lineup next year. He's turned into an all around monster, grown another inch(he's now 6'8", 211lbs) is capable of eating up 30-35 minutes of ice time a game, quarterbacking the powerplay, killing-penalties, and not to mention he hits and fights on a consistent basis, and is starting to contribute on offense a lot more

:nana:

Thanks for the report (leave the out of it next time though). Any stats/quotes/other facts to support the hits & fights statement? Not trying to bust your chops, but this was one of the key questions about him when he was drafted -- ie he was reportedly more finesse than physical. I'm sure we'd all be glad to see some evidence that this is not the case.

You are the resident expert. So how accurate is his assessment...

Tyler Myers is looking to be an orgasmically good stud defenseman for us. He was a force at the WJC's, and seems to have gotten even better since then. Who knows, maybe he will crack the Sabres lineup next year. He's turned into an all around monster, grown another inch(he's now 6'8", 211lbs) is capable of eating up 30-35 minutes of ice time a game, quarterbacking the powerplay, killing-penalties, and not to mention he hits and fights on a consistent basis, and is starting to contribute on offense a lot more

:nana:

He has steadily improved this year. The WJ's were a big boost to his game.

I don't think he'll be full time ready for us next year, unless the team decides they want him to stay up and work out his game in the bigs. I can see him getting his 9 games in though, but I think our team is too cheap to do what the Leafs did with Schenn (the other Kelowna Rocket)

He is such a big guy. He'll do so much just with his reach. He's not as tough as Chara, but I can see him being better, but that is years down the road. He'll need the fans' support but I believe he's gonna be a big piece of our team. He will definitely clear the front of the net and he does stick up for his guys. Solid person too!

This is all exciting about Myers. Think about the youth and depth coming up into the starting D for the next couple years. In no particular order:

Rivet - here to stay

Spacek - contract is coming up, and may be too expensive (personally, I'd love to keep him)

Tallinder - ehh

Lydman - sticking around?

Weber - should be back up

Butler - here to stay

Sekera - here to stay

Paetsch - the eternal 7th defenseman

Numminen - doesn't want to retire, but is probably done in Buffalo

Myers - proclaimed future star of Buffalo! (Okay, maybe in 2010-2011 to replace Tallinder)

And I believe some other D prospects are ripping it up. Now, if we could just find a consistent offense...

You guys have to remember that Darcy has to sign this guy..... I don't count my chickens until they are signed and in Roche...er Portland.

Darcy Regier first round draft choices that were never signed:

-Barrett Heisten: exploited a loophole that has since been removed

-Artem Kryukov: disaster pick, but not signing him was obviously a smart move

-Keith Ballard: traded away in the Drury deal

Regier 1st round picks that were signed:

-Mika Noronen: I'm not 100% sure if he was involved in this draft or not

-Dmitri Kalinin

-Jiri Novotny

-Daniel Paille

-Thomas Vanek

-Marek Zagrapan

-Dennis Persson

So now we're waiting on Ennis and Myers. Say what you want about the quality of the players, but he gets the job done with these guys. If you want to look beyond the first round, since you're obviously hinting at the fax machine joke that won't die, let's take a look post-lockout. These guys are all held under different rules thanks to the new CBA, so it's fair to look at them as a whole. Excluding the last two drafts since their rights have not yet expired, there have been only 4 total draft picks that weren't signed:

-Vyacheslav Buravchikov (6th round 2005)

-Andrew Orpik (7th round 2005): could still sign, but I doubt it

-Alex Biega (5th round 2006): has one year left at Harvard and looks to be a contract worthy player

-Benjamin Breault (7th round 2006)

They're getting deals done with their draft picks. The new CBA has a lot to do with that. These guys do not want to go back into the draft, being forced to wait even longer before their entry level contracts expire. We won't know for a while whether or not they sign most of the 2007 draft class though. Half of them are college kids (2 freshmen 2 sophomores), so they're still a few years away.

Darcy Regier first round draft choices that were never signed:

-Barrett Heisten: exploited a loophole that has since been removed

-Artem Kryukov: disaster pick, but not signing him was obviously a smart move

-Keith Ballard: traded away in the Drury deal

Regier 1st round picks that were signed:

-Mika Noronen: I'm not 100% sure if he was involved in this draft or not

-Dmitri Kalinin

-Jiri Novotny

-Daniel Paille

-Thomas Vanek

-Marek Zagrapan

-Dennis Persson

So now we're waiting on Ennis and Myers. Say what you want about the quality of the players, but he gets the job done with these guys. If you want to look beyond the first round, since you're obviously hinting at the fax machine joke that won't die, let's take a look post-lockout. These guys are all held under different rules thanks to the new CBA, so it's fair to look at them as a whole. Excluding the last two drafts since their rights have not yet expired, there have been only 4 total draft picks that weren't signed:

-Vyacheslav Buravchikov (6th round 2005)

-Andrew Orpik (7th round 2005): could still sign, but I doubt it

-Alex Biega (5th round 2006): has one year left at Harvard and looks to be a contract worthy player

-Benjamin Breault (7th round 2006)

They're getting deals done with their draft picks. The new CBA has a lot to do with that. These guys do not want to go back into the draft, being forced to wait even longer before their entry level contracts expire. We won't know for a while whether or not they sign most of the 2007 draft class though. Half of them are college kids (2 freshmen 2 sophomores), so they're still a few years away.

At one point in recent years, I believe DR could have given up the rights to Kryukov and received a 2nd round pick in return. I think that window of opportunity has passed and if so, it is mind boggling that DR thought that Kryukov was ever going to come over here and amount to anything.

At one point in recent years, I believe DR could have given up the rights to Kryukov and received a 2nd round pick in return. I think that window of opportunity has passed and if so, it is mind boggling that DR thought that Kryukov was ever going to come over here and amount to anything.

I don't think that was ever an option with Kryukov. The rules are a little tricky there since he was drafted so long ago and it covers two CBAs. There have been 6 compensatory draft picks awarded since the lockout, but I'm having a hard time tracking down exactly who the players in question were. I know Blake Wheeler for Phoenix and AJ Thelen for Minnesota were two cases that lead to compensatory picks. Both were drafted in 2004. I think you'll have a hard time finding players drafted before that who resulted in compensatory picks.

The way the rules are setup for compensatory picks, it is essentially the player walking away from the team that results in a free pick. So the Sabres giving up his rights doesn't mesh with that.

I don't think that was ever an option with Kryukov. The rules are a little tricky there since he was drafted so long ago and it covers two CBAs. There have been 6 compensatory draft picks awarded since the lockout, but I'm having a hard time tracking down exactly who the players in question were. I know Blake Wheeler for Phoenix and AJ Thelen for Minnesota were two cases that lead to compensatory picks. Both were drafted in 2004. I think you'll have a hard time finding players drafted before that who resulted in compensatory picks.

The way the rules are setup for compensatory picks, it is essentially the player walking away from the team that results in a free pick. So the Sabres giving up his rights doesn't mesh with that.

If I remember the rules, didn't Buffalo have to offer the entry level max and have it turned down before they could claim a compensatory pick?

This is all exciting about Myers. Think about the youth and depth coming up into the starting D for the next couple years. In no particular order:

Rivet - here to stay

Spacek - contract is coming up, and may be too expensive (personally, I'd love to keep him)

Tallinder - ehh

Lydman - sticking around?

Weber - should be back up

Butler - here to stay

Sekera - here to stay

Paetsch - the eternal 7th defenseman

Numminen - doesn't want to retire, but is probably done in Buffalo

Myers - proclaimed future star of Buffalo! (Okay, maybe in 2010-2011 to replace Tallinder)

And I believe some other D prospects are ripping it up. Now, if we could just find a consistent offense...

There are a couple of other in Portland too. Gragnani and Koska are 5th and 10th in points on the Pirates respectively and both are D, not bad. Koska is a horse and remember he led UMass to the frozen four two years ago.

There are a couple of other in Portland too. Gragnani and Koska are 5th and 10th in points on the Pirates respectively and both are D, not bad. Koska is a horse and remember he led UMass to the frozen four two years ago.

And he's a righty!

(BTW, it's Kostka with a "t".)

Grganani is back at forward again and with the new dmen(Brennan, Scheistel, Persson, etc...) for next year expected to be at Portland, I would think that Gragnani stays up front permanently.

Depending on how much the Sabres modify their blueline in the upcoming offseason, how would everyone feel about dressing Myers for some games next season?

Is he capable at playing at the NHL level yet?

Dmen take years to develop, and have very fragile confidence while younger. However, perhaps giving him a jump in the league earlier could have some advantages.

So the question is this; would you rather see him groomed in the AHL for a few more seasons, or thrown into the NHL mix quick ala Mike Green from Washington?

Depending on how much the Sabres modify their blueline in the upcoming offseason, how would everyone feel about dressing Myers for some games next season?

Is he capable at playing at the NHL level yet?

Dmen take years to develop, and have very fragile confidence while younger. However, perhaps giving him a jump in the league earlier could have some advantages.

So the question is this; would you rather see him groomed in the AHL for a few more seasons, or thrown into the NHL mix quick ala Mike Green from Washington?

I can't remember the exact rule, but I believe that he either makes the team (Sabres) or goes back to his juniors team. I.e., AHL is not an option.

Archived