Lalime's play

RuffMuff

Is outstanding since he has started, I would even say :blush: out playing Miller. Surprising especially since as a backup he wasnt showing much. <_<

He is playing much better than I expected, although I wouldn't call it "out playing [sic] Miller." Don't forget that Ryan was on fire from the start of the New Year, going 14-6-1 with 2 SO and a SV % just under 93%.

He is playing much better than I expected, although I wouldn't call it "out playing [sic] Miller." Don't forget that Ryan was on fire from the start of the New Year, going 14-6-1 with 2 SO and a SV % just under 93%.

Agreed and not to take anything away from Lalime because I was supporting him all along when some other's here were forming the lynch mob but lets also point out that the team wasn't playing this well defesnively in front of Miller as well.

Agreed and not to take anything away from Lalime because I was supporting him all along when some other's here were forming the lynch mob but lets also point out that the team wasn't playing this well defesnively in front of Miller as well.

Exactly. If the Sabres had played half this well in front of Lalime throughout the season, his early numbers would have been much better (probably not this good, as consistently starting does help.) What's nice is that they are finding a good balance between the defense and offense (infusing Vanek -- and dare I say it? Max? -- certainly helped that.)

Edit: I should say that I do believe Patty is playing excellently and it's not all just the team playing defensively. He kept them in the Montreal game during the first period before our offense took over. It's just hard to compare him with Miller since they usually count on Miller more to bail them out.

The team hasn't played that well defensively in front of Lalime, either. (18 shots in the first against Montreal?) Lalime has been awesome. But I want Miller back asap.

The team hasn't played that well defensively in front of Lalime, either. (18 shots in the first against Montreal?) Lalime has been awesome. But I want Miller back asap.

35 over his first 5 periods played as a starter? 13 shots allowed in the second despite 5 Yote power plays? They had three periods where the shot total got up there over the past five games. The Sabres have done a pretty decent job keeping the bulk of the shots to the outside. Don't confuse the teams problems in the offensive zone with poor defensive play. It just isn't true.

Here's some scary (good) stats. I believe that Lalime would have had his usual backup start against Anaheim anyway, so I count the Carolina game as his first start as the #1 (besides, I'd give him that one game to find that starting "rhythm" everyone talks about.) In his first four games as a starter, then, his stats are:

96.3 S%, 1.23 GAA

Even if you include the Anaheim game, he still has impressive stats over the last five:

94.8 S%, 1.58 GAA

Lalime had a ridiculous stick save that pretty much proved that this guy has talent. He looked great in net and made a lot of quality saves. Definitely glad to have him as a backup and know that if we have to, we can ride him in the playoffs.

Nice to see a good guy step it up. He's been great. Handles the puck really well too. Also makes me think they've mishandled him most of the year by shelving him for weeks at a time. Ruff has to find a way to strike a balance all season. Really think backup goalie is one of the toughest positions in sports.

35 over his first 5 periods played as a starter? 13 shots allowed in the second despite 5 Yote power plays? They had three periods where the shot total got up there over the past five games. The Sabres have done a pretty decent job keeping the bulk of the shots to the outside. Don't confuse the teams problems in the offensive zone with poor defensive play. It just isn't true.

Believe it or not, I can tell the difference between offense and defense. I just don't think the Sabres have been palpably better in front of Lalime than they were in front of Miller, especially when I recall the Islanders' second goal, just about the entire Canadiens game, and even some parts of the third period last night. I think the puck has stayed out of the net largely because Lalime has been excellent.

Ruff has to find a way to strike a balance all season.

ITA. If Miller hadn't been injured, I bet Lindy would have continued to overplay him for the rest of the season. The Sabres would end up with a worn-out starter and a rusty backup. Again.

As I said in the GDT, Lalime is teaching Ruff to live up to his own words. You can bet Lalime will get A LOT more regular starts next season.

Seriously. I don't know if he'll see a Marty-esque number of games, but I could see him going 1-in-3 (about 27 starts) next year.

As I said in the GDT, Lalime is teaching Ruff to live up to his own words. You can bet Lalime will get A LOT more regular starts next season.

No he won't. Ruff had to know he had a very good backup after the way Lalime played in his first couple of games this season. And what happened? Lindy has no clue about handling goaltenders.

Lalime had a ridiculous stick save that pretty much proved that this guy has talent. He looked great in net and made a lot of quality saves. Definitely glad to have him as a backup and know that if we have to, we can ride him in the playoffs.

That was Sekera's ridiculous stick.

Believe it or not, I can tell the difference between offense and defense. I just don't think the Sabres have been palpably better in front of Lalime than they were in front of Miller, especially when I recall the Islanders' second goal, just about the entire Canadiens game, and even some parts of the third period last night. I think the puck has stayed out of the net largely because Lalime has been excellent.

I don't think anyones questioning your telling the difference. What He said that I was going too and Patty himself said is they have been great at keeping the shots outside , giving him a good look at them and clearing the rebounds for him because that is one in Lalimes game there are some juicy rebounds. So as Sabre's fans we know better than allot the total shot count isn't what really matters it's the scoring chances and thats where this team has really cleaned up their play...

I think this is an unfair message board tactic. Thankfully we don't see it often here. We all have posts like that in our past. I called Miller a sniveling, spineless, whiny sieve, or something, before he turned it on.

Unfair? Hey, if people don't want their posts to come back and haunt them they shouldn't make sweeping judgments based on one or two games. Saying any backup goalie stinks is insane. Goalies need to see some action to find their groove. I hope Lindy starts giving Lalime more games even after Miller is healthy just to keep him sharp. I think pulling out old posts helps remind people to keep their judgments in perspective...like when Miller is rusty his first games back.

PTR

No he won't. Ruff had to know he had a very good backup after the way Lalime played in his first couple of games this season. And what happened? Lindy has no clue about handling goaltenders.

Is he too old to learn or, at least, be taught? That point aside, I think it's probably more accurate to say that the TEAM had no clue about Lalime. Remember, they were fresh off a year with one crappy back up, and, seeing how "sensitive" the team is already (read: emo), were spooked over playing with the back up. I think part of the success from the last two games stems from the TEAM gaining confidence in Lalime (and not so much Lalime gaining confidence himself).

Why would Lindy play a back-up the TEAM can't play in front of? That's asking for its own kind of trouble. But NOW, the story is different; the TEAM believes in Lalime, and there is no excuse not to start him more (a lot more) going forward.

Archived