Tim Connolly signed for 2 years; $9M

apushms

DR just got bent over and then some. He just loves the players on this team more than his own kids and just can't bear to let them go. So staying healthy for 23 games in a row is a reason to give him a 1.5 million dollar raise(for two years no less)?

There is your big move for the day.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Pomminstein has produced at levels Connolly could only hope to. 9 more points and Pommer's passes Connolly's career high for the third straight year despite having a disappointing year.

$4.5 million for a player with a career high of 16 goals is a joke.

I will take a wild guess here. But history shows Connolly tends to get injured once a new contract is in place. I wonder if he makes through the game tonight.

If we are willing to read cause-effect into these things, we could easily note that Pommer went into the tank as soon as he signed his $26MM deal and question his motivation as well.

I'm not saying it's guaranteed to work. In fact there is an awfully high risk of failure. But on a team that has somehow gone from top-5 in the NHL in scoring to bottom half without any change in the forward ranks, losing one of our best offensive threats would not have been a good outcome. If they were somehow going to replace him with a legit scoring center, fine, but that is an expensive player. I'd like to hear specifically who we could've gotten and for what price.

If we are willing to read cause-effect into these things, we could easily note that Pommer went into the tank as soon as he signed his $26MM deal and question his motivation as well.

I'm not saying it's guaranteed to work. In fact there is an awfully high risk of failure. But on a team that has somehow gone from top-5 in the NHL in scoring to bottom half without any change in the forward ranks, losing one of our best offensive threats would not have been a good outcome. If they were somehow going to replace him with a legit scoring center, fine, but that is an expensive player. I'd like to hear specifically who we could've gotten and for what price.

I guess we won't know until FA begins and see who is available, but IMO 4.5 mil could easily bring in a good 2nd line scoring center.

No, they're also bringing Vanek back ... "that's as good as any deal that they could make."

(Somebody actually said that in an article recently, but I can't remember where I saw it.)

Does this sound familiar?

DR on re-signing TC:

Darcy Regier said he examined the trade market and took a look ahead at this summer's free agent market. The most appealing player he saw was already on his roster.

After deciding that, it was just a matter of agreeing to terms with center Tim Connolly. The result is a two-year, $9 million contract extension that will keep Connolly with the Buffalo Sabres.

Regier followed today's signing by bolstering his goaltending depth, acquiring Mikael Tellqvist from Phoenix in exchange for a fourth-round pick in the 2010 entry draft.

Connolly was scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent after the season. The option was there to trade the 27-year-old, but Regier's first choice was to re-sign the talent but oft-injured center. It took a raise of $1 million per year to do it.

"For us, it is better than a trade,'' Regier said today. "I think when you look at anything that is available in the summer, anything that is available right now on the trade market, in order to keep Tim here, not to give up any assets to acquire someone like Tim, I think it's a terrific day for the Sabres organization.''

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2009/0...ning-moves.html

Does this sound familiar?

DR on re-signing TC:

Darcy Regier said he examined the trade market and took a look ahead at this summer's free agent market. The most appealing player he saw was already on his roster.

After deciding that, it was just a matter of agreeing to terms with center Tim Connolly. The result is a two-year, $9 million contract extension that will keep Connolly with the Buffalo Sabres.

Regier followed today's signing by bolstering his goaltending depth, acquiring Mikael Tellqvist from Phoenix in exchange for a fourth-round pick in the 2010 entry draft.

Connolly was scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent after the season. The option was there to trade the 27-year-old, but Regier's first choice was to re-sign the talent but oft-injured center. It took a raise of $1 million per year to do it.

"For us, it is better than a trade,'' Regier said today. "I think when you look at anything that is available in the summer, anything that is available right now on the trade market, in order to keep Tim here, not to give up any assets to acquire someone like Tim, I think it's a terrific day for the Sabres organization.''

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2009/0...ning-moves.html

Help me with the fuzzy math...Isn't Connolly getting a 1.5 mil raise per season, not 1 mil as Vogl is reporting?

Help me with the fuzzy math...Isn't Connolly getting a 1.5 mil raise per season, not 1 mil as Vogl is reporting?

I thought Connolly's final year was $3.5M, but I can't get NHL Numbers to load, so I can't confirm.

EDIT: I just got it to load up (in a bare-bones format) and it confirmed that Connolly is making $3.5M this year, so it is a $1M raise.

DeLuca, you'll love Sully's take on TC's deal:

It's a rousing endorsement of soft, finesse hockey. The apologists will continue to gush about Connolly and how he might be the team's most talented player. But to me, this is about Darcy Regier wanting to justify the original contract (not to mention the deal for Michael Peca that brought Connolly to Buffalo) and be right about a soft, injury-prone player.

This is what happens when a GM stays in his job for too long. He becomes unafraid to compound his past mistakes.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sully_on_spor...eam-ripoff.html

I thought Connolly's final year was $3.5M, but I can't get NHL Numbers to load, so I can't confirm.

EDIT: I just got it to load up (in a bare-bones format) and it confirmed that Connolly is making $3.5M this year, so it is a $1M raise.

From a total contract value though he went from 3 for 9 to 2 for 9...1.5 mil increase. :D

From a total contract value though he went from 3 for 9 to 2 for 9...1.5 mil increase. :D

Yeah, I guess if you look at it that way...I guess Vogl's going with the increase in next year versus this year.

Either way it's about $2.5M per year more than we should have given Timmy. ;)

DeLuca, you'll love Sully's take on TC's deal:

It's a rousing endorsement of soft, finesse hockey. The apologists will continue to gush about Connolly and how he might be the team's most talented player. But to me, this is about Darcy Regier wanting to justify the original contract (not to mention the deal for Michael Peca that brought Connolly to Buffalo) and be right about a soft, injury-prone player.

This is what happens when a GM stays in his job for too long. He becomes unafraid to compound his past mistakes.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sully_on_spor...eam-ripoff.html

God I hate it whenever Sullivan takes the time to think about hockey....

Especially his adjective of "soft" without reference to anything.....if anything the problem with Connolly isn't softness...he blocks shots, he puts his body in dangerous positions, he goes to net....the problem is that he's reckless.

It isn't softness.

Every word Sully writes is like a turd in my drink.

Sully might be a cynical, cranky bastard who looks to attack management at every opportunity, but I can't disagree with a lot of his stuff lately. There have been some strange moves by both Buffalo organizations in the last few years and they deserve to be blasted for them.

I find this quote from Sully believable...

But to me, this is about Darcy Regier wanting to justify the original contract (not to mention the deal for Michael Peca that brought Connolly to Buffalo).

Ah, Mike Peca...remember when the trade rumors had him going to Calgary for Iginla?

I find this quote from Sully believable...

But to me, this is about Darcy Regier wanting to justify the original contract (not to mention the deal for Michael Peca that brought Connolly to Buffalo).

With all we know of Darcy Regier ... I don't think accusing him of letting his ego hurt the club is one.

Signing Connolly today means you don't have to go into free agency trying to get 2 centers.

That is when you are going to pay more money for less talent than Connolly....and you'd have to pay it twice.

I hate you for bringing this up... :death:

Really made me sick to my stomach the other night when NHL Network was doing a big thing on him setting the Flames' franchise record for points and for hitting the 400-goal plateau.

With all we know of Darcy Regier ... I don't think accusing him of letting his ego hurt the club is one.

Signing Connolly today means you don't have to go into free agency trying to get 2 centers.

That is when you are going to pay more money for less talent than Connolly....and you'd have to pay it twice.

You honestly think that they are going to sign another center this summer? I'd like to think that they'd learned their lesson this year (and the year before), but I'm guess that Hecht or maybe Kennedy will be third in the depth-chart for scoring-line centers. Even if they have learned, with the amount that they just gave Timmy, I'm not sure that we can afford another one.

All I can say is kudos to J.P. Barry. He got the Sundin deal done in Vancouver and he got more money out of Buffalo for Connolly than he would have gotten on the open market this year. I love Connolly's talent, but I just can't understand how you can justify this deal when you are giving huge pay increases to Pominville and Miller next season and you have to sign Sekera and Stafford as well. And, I really think Stafford will cost at least $2.5 million/year. I just don't get this deal. Even when you get rid of Max, Kotalik, Spacek, and Teppo, the Sabres will likely be spending to the cap and even if they trade Tallinder, still up to the Cap. I just don't get this deal. Oh well.

You honestly think that they are going to sign another center this summer? I'd like to think that they'd learned their lesson this year (and the year before), but I'm guess that Hecht or maybe Kennedy will be third in the depth-chart for scoring-line centers.

Actually, I think they will find one...

It probably would come through a trade or draft day move though.

Tim Connolly is a quality player. We all know that. The big IF word is always in play though. The team's record is much better with him in the lineup, than when he's not. If he stays healthy, they're going to be very pleased with him.

They couldn't trade him for much, and they could have lost him for nothing in the summer. So to keep him, is a good thing. The money? We can all agree they all make too much, so I'm not gonna concern myself with that.

Good post, as always.

You honestly think that they are going to sign another center this summer? I'd like to think that they'd learned their lesson this year (and the year before), but I'm guess that Hecht or maybe Kennedy will be third in the depth-chart for scoring-line centers. Even if they have learned, with the amount that they just gave Timmy, I'm not sure that we can afford another one.

Maybe the Sabres will try to keep Moore? Although I suspect he'll look for the greenest pastures possible, he is from the Toronto area (ie not far from WNY) and if we can stay in the ballpark...

All I can say is kudos to J.P. Barry. He got the Sundin deal done in Vancouver and he got more money out of Buffalo for Connolly than he would have gotten on the open market this year. I love Connolly's talent, but I just can't understand how you can justify this deal when you are giving huge pay increases to Pominville and Miller next season and you have to sign Sekera and Stafford as well. And, I really think Stafford will cost at least $2.5 million/year. I just don't get this deal. Even when you get rid of Max, Kotalik, Spacek, and Teppo, the Sabres will likely be spending to the cap and even if they trade Tallinder, still up to the Cap. I just don't get this deal. Oh well.

100% correct. This situation will certainly be addressed -- and not just to get them to the NHL cap, but to get them to their internal limit. I think they'll be looking to dump Tallinder and Hecht (and maybe Pommer) over the summer.

Actually, I think they will find one...

It probably would come through a trade or draft day move though.

Hello Dominic.

I can't remember ever seeing a move from this team that left me having no clue what to think about it. Yes the upside is incredible and yes the money seems very steep, especially with the injury history. I have no idea how I feel about this one. Now if Connolly would like to settle my mind a bit by leading this team to the playoffs, I'll have no complaints about that.

Archived