Tim Connolly signed for 2 years; $9M

apushms

I'm not sure what makes this deal better: the fact that it ticks DeLuca off so much or that it makes Bucky Gleason look stupid again.

Seriously, though, I like this deal. Everyone familiar with the situation knew the outcome would be divisive. If you're optimistic about his injury plague being over, it's obvious he's a great player at a reasonable price. If you're pessimistic about his injury history, then he's too big a risk at almost any price and should've been traded.

Personally, I like the deal. I hope it signals a commitment to making a big push for the playoffs this year and beyond. That means more additions by the end of the afternoon today.

And you gotta love the Sabs chances next season. Knowing TC is here and knowing a hopefully improved Gerbe will be here full time.

Not being smart here, but can someone explain to me the benefit of a sign and trade? Why would we do this? And yes, I'm being serious!

I'm no expert, but the obvious benefit would be that the team who's trading for Connolly would no have a player for the rest of the season plus two more years locked in at a known dollar cost as opposed to just getting a rental player.

:worthy: beautiful , inspired, profound, titillating

sorry to go high-brow here (wait, no i'm not):

post-760-1236183177_thumbjpg

so, that's odysseus (LQ and darcy) lashed to the mast, and those are the lervely sirens (connolly) singing their irresistible come-hither song. difference being, the lashing effort worked in homer's epic, not so much here.

p.s. plus, boobies.

I also would like to point out that 2 years is almost a perfect deal for Connolly. It allows the Sabs to keep a player that helps them now. It also gives them a chance to see how he would perform throughout an entire season. 2 seasons for 9 mil sounds about right,and i have a hunch TC just turned down alot of money in the off season to stay here.

Sorry but I disagree with you & agree 100% with The Aud Smell's visually stimulating comparison to a siren. With his injury history, there's a chance that Connolly wouldn't have been resigned at all - or at best, resigned to an incentive deal. I hope this works since he's bet the farm on it, but DR seems like he's still trying to justify the Peca trade with this resigning.

Connolly is a selfish little dink.

What?? Did you expect him to turn it down?? Come on, this deal stinks for the Sabres, maybe, but it certainly isn't Timmy's fault!! He took the money and ran, like any other red blooded American would do.

What?? Did you expect him to turn it down?? Come on, this deal stinks for the Sabres, maybe, but it certainly isn't Timmy's fault!! He took the money and ran, like any other red blooded American would do.

Especially with his injury issues. He needs to get the money when he can. He may very well never get another chance.

I get the feeling that there is going to be some sort of salary dump later in the day or in the offseason. And we're not talking about a Kotalik or Afinogenov. They'll probably dump some future salary (Tallinder seems like a good one now). Free up space for more of the cheap youth.

Unloading Tallinder is one of my big hopes for the day, although given the lack of depth on D in the organization, I'm skeptical. I think it's more likely to occur in the summer.

Jauron's extension doesn't cripple the team financially as Connolly's does.

A hysterical overstatement worthy of Bucky himself. Connolly's deal is about 8% of the team's budget (cash, not cap). Pommer's deal is much worse, both in dollars per year and length of deal (although I am somewhat hopeful he'll rebound next year), and given their relative production, you could easily say the same about Hecht's.

More to the point, Connolly is one of 20 skaters on the team. Jauron is the head coach. Keeping him locks the Bills into mediocrity unless something miraculous happens.

So does this qualify as the Sabres big move today? <_<

No, they're also bringing Vanek back ... "that's as good as any deal that they could make."

(Somebody actually said that in an article recently, but I can't remember where I saw it.)

Updated cap/salary for next year:

post-1053-1236183462_thumbjpg

With Kennedy, Gerbe, Butler and Weber, we're $49 million+ in cap/salary and still need to sign Stafford, Sekera and Kaleta, plus one more forward (maybe two.)

Good call, and it highlight's Shrader's point earlier about an imminent salary dump. I'd say the best candidates are Tallinder, Pommer and Hecht, although I'm not sure anyone will take Pommer or Hecht off of our hands.

Sorry but I disagree with you & agree 100% with The Aud Smell's visually stimulating comparison to a siren. With his injury history, there's a chance that Connolly wouldn't have been resigned at all - or at best, resigned to an incentive deal. I hope this works since he's bet the farm on it, but DR seems like he's still trying to justify the Peca trade with this resigning.

Regardless of Tim's injury history,you cant deny that some dumb GM would throw alot at him in the offseason.

Unless he were to get injured again, he couldn't have been signed to an incentive-laden contract under the current CBA. He's not a rookie, not 36 years old and has not spent 100+ days on IR this season (there is a small question if pre-season counts, but I still believe that he would be short of 100 days.)

Connolly was not eligible for an incentive-based contract.

Unloading Tallinder is one of my big hopes for the day, although given the lack of depth on D in the organization, I'm skeptical. I think it's more likely to occur in the summer.

Something needs to happen today. If Vanek and Afinogenov are both back today, they probably need to free up the roster spots. The roster does expand after the deadline. The timing isn't clear in the CBA, so I can't tell for sure whether or not they have to be under the limit today or not. Taro? Carp?

Something needs to happen today. If Vanek and Afinogenov are both back today, they probably need to free up the roster spots. The roster does expand after the deadline. The timing isn't clear in the CBA, so I can't tell for sure whether or not they have to be under the limit today or not. Taro? Carp?

Also, WGR's website - http://www.wgr550.com/Connolly-Staying-Put/3959535 - says that Paetsch and Ellis are sitting tonight but Teppo is playing ... so which defenseman who has been playing is not? Are they sending Butler down? Or is Tallinder or Spacek being traded? It's possible someone is just being scratched, of course, but ...

Also, WGR's website - http://www.wgr550.com/Connolly-Staying-Put/3959535 - says that Paetsch and Ellis are sitting tonight but Teppo is playing ... so which defenseman who has been playing is not? Are they sending Butler down? Or is Tallinder or Spacek being traded? It's possible someone is just being scratched, of course, but ...

Hopefully we'll know soon. Someone (at least one person) from this active roster will be moved today.

I'm not sure what makes this deal better: the fact that it ticks DeLuca off so much or that it makes Bucky Gleason look stupid again.

Seriously, though, I like this deal. Everyone familiar with the situation knew the outcome would be divisive. If you're optimistic about his injury plague being over, it's obvious he's a great player at a reasonable price. If you're pessimistic about his injury history, then he's too big a risk at almost any price and should've been traded.

Personally, I like the deal. I hope it signals a commitment to making a big push for the playoffs this year and beyond. That means more additions by the end of the afternoon today.

What Wraith said! Especially the Bucky part. The sun is out. Life is good.

A hysterical overstatement worthy of Bucky himself. Connolly's deal is about 8% of the team's budget (cash, not cap). Pommer's deal is much worse, both in dollars per year and length of deal (although I am somewhat hopeful he'll rebound next year), and given their relative production, you could easily say the same about Hecht's.

More to the point, Connolly is one of 20 skaters on the team. Jauron is the head coach. Keeping him locks the Bills into mediocrity unless something miraculous happens.

Pomminstein has produced at levels Connolly could only hope to. 9 more points and Pommer's passes Connolly's career high for the third straight year despite having a disappointing year.

$4.5 million for a player with a career high of 16 goals is a joke.

I will take a wild guess here. But history shows Connolly tends to get injured once a new contract is in place. I wonder if he makes through the game tonight.

$4.5 million for a player with a career high of 16 goals is a joke.

Anyone who can feed the puck to Danny Paille and get him to score is worth the money, though.

I will take a wild guess here. But history shows Connolly tends to get injured once a new contract is in place. I wonder if he makes through the game tonight.

:lol:

Archived