Tim Connolly signed for 2 years; $9M

apushms

Personally the only way I'm happy with this signing is if he's traded today or the stars align & he stays healthy which is a huge question mark with an awful track record. If it were just the concussions I'd be nervous enough but he has a laundry list of obscure & common injuries - kind of like a chain smoker but a chain injury victim instead - one after another.

Not being smart here, but can someone explain to me the benefit of a sign and trade? Why would we do this? And yes, I'm being serious!

people people, if hes hurt he DOESNT count against the cap!!!!!!!!!!!

why doesnt anyone know this? see danny briere........

As noted below, your post completely misses all of the relevant points.

Also, the use of "people, people" is possibly even more annoying in writing than it is in person.

We do know this. It's only true if he is on LTIR. He has not been on LTIR this season, but missed almost half a season worth of games. Plus, unless you get the contract insured (hard/expensive with history), you still have to pay the money, which is far more important to the Sabres than the cap (at least next year.) Finally, it prevents you from bringing someone else in this summer. If he gets injured, then we are stuck with Hecht as the #2 center, since they will not go out and get a replacement.

well, there's real cash to consider, there's the performance problem of relying on a guy who won't be there for big stretches of time, and there's the likelihood that he won't actually go on IR and give us any cap relief (which, btw, this team does not need because they're well under it).

We do know this. It's only true if he is on LTIR. He has not been on LTIR this season, but missed almost half a season worth of games. Plus, unless you get the contract insured (hard/expensive with history), you still have to pay the money, which is far more important to the Sabres than the cap (at least next year.) Finally, it prevents you from bringing someone else in this summer. If he gets injured, then we are stuck with Hecht as the #2 center, since they will not go out and get a replacement.

True, the team must be comfortable with these things though. and long term injured reserve is only "10 games and 24 days", not a high hurdle.

J Williams was able to have his contract insured even though he blew out his knee. The sabres CAN get insurance, although i would expect it to be expensive esp if they want to insure against a head injury.

Not being smart here, but can someone explain to me the benefit of a sign and trade? Why would we do this? And yes, I'm being serious!

Having the guy under another two years of contract makes him less of a rental and more of a signing for now and the future. For a team that thinks that he's worth the risk, they now wouldn't have to worry about him walking in the summer. So, his trade value goes up. Personally, at $4.5 million per, I think his value may have gone down now.

Having the guy under another two years of contract makes him less of a rental and more of a signing for now and the future. For a team that thinks that he's worth the risk, they now wouldn't have to worry about him walking in the summer. So, his trade value goes up. Personally, at $4.5 million per, I think his value may have gone down now.

Ah, got it. Thanks! :thumbsup:

I may be in the minority, but this is great news! The Skill is our most talented playmaker, and I love how creative he is w/ the puck. He is the only guy we have that can compliment Vanek. W/out TC, we'd have no #1 center. I know everyone is pissed at how many games he's missed, but those injuries came ON THE JOB, in service to the Buffalo Sabres. It's not like he fell down crossing the street, or wanted to be missing out on some of the best years of his career. Let's assume for the moment that he CAN stay healthy: We just got a world class hockey player to be our #1 center for the next 2 years. Great work, Darcy! ....Now, pls get rid of Hecht and Kotalik, so that watching our Sabres doesn't continue to be a frustrating exercise in watching these 2 underacheivers give the puck away on every shift. Welcome back to "The Skill"!......

True, the team must be comfortable with these things though. and long term injured reserve is only "10 games and 24 days", not a high hurdle.

J Williams was able to have his contract insured even though he blew out his knee. The sabres CAN get insurance, although i would expect it to be expensive esp if they want to insure against a head injury.

Really, though, the big problem is what we've seen over the past two seasons, they have no real third option (and now can't really afford one) for scoring line center. I would say that last year and possibly this year (depending on how the end goes), just having a slightly less skilled (playmaking-wise; would probably be better on faceoffs, though) center who played most games would have been enough to push us into the playoffs. Tim Kennedy better progress quickly.

I get the feeling that there is going to be some sort of salary dump later in the day or in the offseason. And we're not talking about a Kotalik or Afinogenov. They'll probably dump some future salary (Tallinder seems like a good one now). Free up space for more of the cheap youth.

Really, though, the big problem is what we've seen over the past two seasons, they have no real third option (and now can't really afford one) for scoring line center. I would say that last year and possibly this year (depending on how the end goes), just having a slightly less skilled (playmaking-wise; would probably be better on faceoffs, though) center who played most games would have been enough to push us into the playoffs. Tim Kennedy better progress quickly.

I agree, the lack of secondary scoring (not vanek, connolly) is really holding them back, pommers hecht etc shitting the bed this year is killing them.

I'm not sure what makes this deal better: the fact that it ticks DeLuca off so much or that it makes Bucky Gleason look stupid again.

Seriously, though, I like this deal. Everyone familiar with the situation knew the outcome would be divisive. If you're optimistic about his injury plague being over, it's obvious he's a great player at a reasonable price. If you're pessimistic about his injury history, then he's too big a risk at almost any price and should've been traded.

Personally, I like the deal. I hope it signals a commitment to making a big push for the playoffs this year and beyond. That means more additions by the end of the afternoon today.

I like it. Connolly has world class talent. It's worth the risk. Hopefully he won't get over $4 million per season and i hope it's 3 or less years. But i have no problem giving this guy that kind of money. He's a star when healthy.

I also would like to point out that 2 years is almost a perfect deal for Connolly. It allows the Sabs to keep a player that helps them now. It also gives them a chance to see how he would perform throughout an entire season. 2 seasons for 9 mil sounds about right,and i have a hunch TC just turned down alot of money in the off season to stay here.

the bigger point here is that there are a lot of fans, myself included, who see connolly as a siren's song of player personnel -- absolutely beautiful to behold, but you follow it to your demise.

sorry to go high-brow here (wait, no i'm not):

post-760-1236183177_thumbjpg

so, that's odysseus (LQ and darcy) lashed to the mast, and those are the lervely sirens (connolly) singing their irresistible come-hither song. difference being, the lashing effort worked in homer's epic, not so much here.

p.s. plus, boobies.

I'm not sure what makes this deal better: the fact that it ticks DeLuca off so much or that it makes Bucky Gleason look stupid again.

Seriously, though, I like this deal. Everyone familiar with the situation knew the outcome would be divisive. If you're optimistic about his injury plague being over, it's obvious he's a great player at a reasonable price. If you're pessimistic about his injury history, then he's too big a risk at almost any price and should've been traded.

Personally, I like the deal. I hope it signals a commitment to making a big push for the playoffs this year and beyond. That means more additions by the end of the afternoon today.

Add Connolly's contract to the next two years salary totals and where does the money come from to improve the team. Connolly will be sitting home and the won't spend to replace him.

Add Connolly's contract to the next two years salary totals and where does the money come from to improve the team. Connolly will be sitting home and the won't spend to replace him.

Especially with the cap going down.

Archived