RUMOR: Sabres after Martin Biron in 3-team deal

Goodfella25

http://buffalonews.typepad.com/sabres/

If true, very weird and proves Miller is out longer than we thought...

"Speculation is rampant that the Sabres, Flyers and Coyotes are working out separate deals that would ultimately bring old friend Martin Biron back to Buffalo.

The Flyers are trying to get their hands on a defenseman and were supposedly working on a deal that would send Biron to the Coyotes for Derek Morris. The Coyotes would then send Biron to the Sabres in a package for Henrik Tallinder and/or Maxim Afinogenov..."

http://buffalonews.typepad.com/sabres/

If true, very weird and proves Miller is out longer than we thought...

"Speculation is rampant that the Sabres, Flyers and Coyotes are working out separate deals that would ultimately bring old friend Martin Biron back to Buffalo.

The Flyers are trying to get their hands on a defenseman and were supposedly working on a deal that would send Biron to the Coyotes for Derek Morris. The Coyotes would then send Biron to the Sabres in a package for Henrik Tallinder and/or Maxim Afinogenov..."

That would be fun...CD

"Maybe it's because we're still in the "tire-kicking stage" -- the phrase used by both Darcy Regier and Bryan Murray (hmmm, maybe the Senators and Sabres are talking deal?!?! Unlikely, since Darcy rarely deals in the division. But now you see how easy it is to start a rumor just like those hacks and schmoes over at the buzz site)"

By John Vogl from same site.

That's just funny stuff.

I haven't seen the McKenzie article...is that on TSN? I just figured I'd post this but I'm not sure what the policy is here regarding rumor threads other than putting "Rumor" at the beginning. Definitely don't want to clutter the board with a ton of rumor threads. At the same time, any threads like that would be short-lived--rumors will be irrelevant at this time tomorrow.

I haven't seen the McKenzie article...is that on TSN?

http://tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=26956...=topRelated_nhl

FLYERS STEPPING UP EFFORTS FOR BOUWMEESTER

(1:30pm et) - The Philadelphia Flyers are stepping up their efforts to acquire defenceman Jay Bouwmeester from the Florida Panthers, but salary cap constraints are rearing their ugly head.

The Flyers are bumping up against the cap and they are working hard to try to free up some space.

Sources say one of the options is trading goaltender Marty Biron and turning the number one job over to Antero Niittymaki. One potential scenario has the Flyers trading Biron to the Phoenix Coyotes as part of a plan that would see the Coyotes flip Biron to another team.

But the Coyotes aren't going to make that move unless they have the other deal already set up.

It should be noted, however, that Biron has a no-trade clause and would have to be on board with any move that is made.

There is also a similar scenario involving Boston goalie Manny Fernandez, who has reportedly been offered to Phoenix. The Coyotes have no interest in keeping Fernandez but might take him if they can flip him. Boston is only likely to trade Fernandez if they find a need to clear some cap space.

Sources say the Buffalo Sabres may be in the market for one of the available goaltenders, given Ryan Miller's high ankle sprain.

http://tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=26956...=topRelated_nhl

FLYERS STEPPING UP EFFORTS FOR BOUWMEESTER

(1:30pm et) - The Philadelphia Flyers are stepping up their efforts to acquire defenceman Jay Bouwmeester from the Florida Panthers, but salary cap constraints are rearing their ugly head.

The Flyers are bumping up against the cap and they are working hard to try to free up some space.

Sources say one of the options is trading goaltender Marty Biron and turning the number one job over to Antero Niittymaki. One potential scenario has the Flyers trading Biron to the Phoenix Coyotes as part of a plan that would see the Coyotes flip Biron to another team.

But the Coyotes aren't going to make that move unless they have the other deal already set up.

It should be noted, however, that Biron has a no-trade clause and would have to be on board with any move that is made.

There is also a similar scenario involving Boston goalie Manny Fernandez, who has reportedly been offered to Phoenix. The Coyotes have no interest in keeping Fernandez but might take him if they can flip him. Boston is only likely to trade Fernandez if they find a need to clear some cap space.

Sources say the Buffalo Sabres may be in the market for one of the available goaltenders, given Ryan Miller's high ankle sprain.

While I like the unloading of salary part of this deal, Lalime is not entirely the problem here.

While I like the unloading of salary part of this deal, Lalime is not entirely the problem here.

No he's not, but if Miller is out until April, you gotta think at some point the workload will get too much for Lalime. He has been great (besides the Ducks game) but he has faced two very weak offensive teams. IMO, if they are dealing Tallinder, it only means there will be another deal for a forward with multi-years left on his deal coming here. Biron will walk in July, and we'll have some salary cleared for next season. Alexander Frolov anyone?

No he's not, but if Miller is out until April, you gotta think at some point the workload will get too much for Lalime. He has been great (besides the Ducks game) but he has faced two very weak offensive teams. IMO, if they are dealing Tallinder, it only means there will be another deal for a forward with multi-years left on his deal coming here. Biron will walk in July, and we'll have some salary cleared for next season. Alexander Frolov anyone?

I would absolutely cream my pants if we got Frolov. The man is a stud.

You seem to have a lot of hate for the man with the most games played, most blocked shots, and the most hits of all Sabre defensemen.

Well said. To me, people who bash Lydman are people who don't really watch games and have a hate for someone and just assume they are right. Lydman has been very solid. He makes a mistake here and there, but guess what, so does Nick Lidstrom.

Well said. To me, people who bash Lydman are people who don't really watch games and have a hate for someone and just assume they are right. Lydman has been very solid. He makes a mistake here and there, but guess what, so does Nick Lidstrom.

As I said, I like Ludes, he seems to be on them most the game, steady and ready kinda guy. It's just the occasional brain fart pass or clear attempt that gets me and I would assume others notice those a lot more than a technical defensive play.

And since the thread about Marty I have to say, Be-ron

I'd be fine with this deal, since it would enable the Sabres to (i) get something (anything!) for Max and (ii) unload Tallinder's $3MM salary for next year. Both of those would qualify as addition by subtraction. If you plug in Paetsch or Gragnani (or Weber, but I think he's out for a while with a shoulder injury) for Tallinder, the D has a bit more of an edge.

However, the deal doesn't do anything to help make the playoffs this year. We still need a tough SOB veteran who can score and provide some leadership to the group of shrinking violet forwards we currently have.

Pulled this off my Yahoo fantasy hockey site:

Tue, Mar 3 Lalime may soon have more competition in Buffalo because the Sabres have made inquiries into "every" goaltending possibility on the trade market, Sportsnet and Sports Illustrated writer Jim Kelley told Buffalo's WGR Radio on Tuesday morning.

EVERY GOALTENDING POSSIBILITY on the trade market...

For those who didn't hear Kelley on WGR, he said they have several deals to get a goalie back. He said, some deals are obviously better then others and Sabres will decide in the next several hours what type of goalie they need (based on Miller's injury). He said, some names he's heard are Khabibulin, Manny Legacy, Biron and few others. And Sabres to "pick" their deal tomorrow.

Archived