RUMOR: Sabres after Martin Biron in 3-team deal

Goodfella25

Just to clarify - there was a thread on here a couple days ago saying that Morris has a NTC and would only waive it for Western Conference teams, so I'm wondering about these three-team deals that claim he's going to Philly.

Just to clarify - there was a thread on here a couple days ago saying that Morris has a NTC and would only waive it for Western Conference teams, so I'm wondering about these three-team deals that claim he's going to Philly.

Things change moment-by-moment ;)

He wants out and they probably had trouble finding him a team in the West.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=269466

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=269560&lid...s=headlines_nhl.

hey guys it goes like this:

to Philly: Derek Morris, picks

to Phoenix: Hank Tallinder, Joffrey Lupul, Max Afinogenov

to Buffalo: Marty Biron, Olli Jokinen

source: my left asscheek

Don't take this the wrong way, but I like your ass. :blush:

BAD IDEA given the Sabres current state. If the goal is to win the Cup then they have to look at what they have (too many complentary players with the same skill set) and build for the future. Since they are not a player or 2 away they should sell as painful and risky as it is. Seeing this team squeak into the play-offs just doesn't make sense long term. Besides players returning to a previous team rarely works out. Unless the price is just Hank or something similar Marty as a stop gap does not address the long term and I can't see Marty agreeing or being happy backing up Miller

BAD IDEA given the Sabres current state. If the goal is to win the Cup then they have to look at what they have (too many complentary players with the same skill set) and build for the future. Since they are not a player or 2 away they should sell as painful and risky as it is. Seeing this team squeak into the play-offs just doesn't make sense long term. Besides players returning to a previous team rarely works out. Unless the price is just Hank or something similar Marty as a stop gap does not address the long term and I can't see Marty agreeing or being happy backing up Miller

Well the goal would be to have Marty back up Lalime, not Miller. Who knows what we'd do with Marty in the off season since he's a UFA. And maybe after his dabble in starting in Philly he would be happy to come back here and work the tandem shift with Miller like in the old days. The question then becomes what to do with Lalime. Is he really better than Marty? And we're on the hook for another year with Lalime. So we'd probably let Marty go to free agency once the season is over.

Looks like Bucky Gleason has been dipping his pen into Eck's site.

Thats where he pulled this rumor from

When are we going to stop posting these Eck Rumors? Agh... Unreal!

HAHAHA :thumbsup:

Don't get too excited, Garth. Nobody took nothing from Eklund. In fact, his "sources" reported mid-afternoon that Biron was in no trade talks. And that was after Bucky reported it for the Buffalo News.

Things change moment-by-moment ;)

He wants out and they probably had trouble finding him a team in the West.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=269466

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=269560&lid...s=headlines_nhl.

The question remains - will he waive his NTC for an Eastern team?

Don't get too excited, Garth. Nobody took nothing from Eklund. In fact, his "sources" reported mid-afternoon that Biron was in no trade talks. And that was after Bucky reported it for the Buffalo News.

Speaking of "sources," why is such shoddy journalism accepted, even encouraged by the business? BM works/worked in the field and maybe can add some input. I guess my beef is how Bucky, or any other writer, can get away with no atttribution at all. At the very least, I'd like him to say his source didn't want to be named and a general idea of who the source is -- a player, an agent, a friend, a family member, a GM, what have you. Anything less truly sounds like these guys are making it up. And you just know they are making it up 90 percent of the time.

Speaking of "sources," why is such shoddy journalism accepted, even encouraged by the business? BM works/worked in the field and maybe can add some input. I guess my beef is how Bucky, or any other writer, can get away with no atttribution at all. At the very least, I'd like him to say his source didn't want to be named and a general idea of who the source is -- a player, an agent, a friend, a family member, a GM, what have you. Anything less truly sounds like these guys are making it up. And you just know they are making it up 90 percent of the time.

Don't count out the fact the team might be using him to get information or false information out. Maybe he has a source, but that doesn't mean the information is correct from the source.

Um really? I don't know.... maybe because say Sabres are near a deal for Jokinen, and Frank in the front office tells the Buffalo News "just a heads up, jokinen for enroth", and buffalo news reports "frank, from sabres front office reports..." do you think frank would still have a JOB??? Come on. Seriously. In a business where millions of dollars and thrown all over and teams try to screw other teams over....

Actually, Lindy Ruff said today at the morning skate that he just tells his players to turn off their computers and tvs so they don't hear "rumors" because Lindy said about 90% of the rumors are usually true. Just because there's a rumor of Biron to Sabres, doesn't make it false if it doesn't happen. If Darcy called Philly and asked what it would take to bring in Marty, it makes it a legit rumor. If a player is talked about, it usually means his boss is trying to ship him away.... is what Ruff was saying.

Are you sure that there isn't some sort of prorated transfer from one team to the other to cover their portion of the salary? It seems odd that it wouldn't cost any more to acquire a player on the 1st or the 14th.

According to James Mirtle, he responded to my e-mail, clubs have to pay about 21% of the contract if a player is acquired at the deadline.

You seem to have a lot of hate for the man with the most games played, most blocked shots, and the most hits of all Sabre defensemen.

Because there isn't a catagory for stupid errors/turnovers leading to goals. He's the worst. No doubt that I get on him more now that I actually watch him every time he's out there. Though I only watch him this closely because he brought himself to my attention with the dumbest mental mistakes over and over. I guess its a never ending cycle. Seeing all the responses in defense of him makes me wonder if you are actually paying attention to him, as opposed to someone who actually is solid, ala Spacek. Yes, all players have brainfarts, in my oppinion Lydman's brainfarts are nonstop stinkers that can clear the room. Stupid penalties, stupid turnovers. I probably get on him more because he could be good if he didn't do dumb things all the time. He's really the only player that I complain about consistantly (Since max was shown the bench/hurt). Eh well. Maybe its just recently that he's been playing sucky and I didn't notice any of the good things he did earlier.. its easy to miss those with D..

According to James Mirtle, he responded to my e-mail, clubs have to pay about 21% of the contract if a player is acquired at the deadline.

If they move tomorrow, then they are on the roster for 40 days, which works out to 40/186 = 21.5% of the season. So, that seems about right. Maybe, the partial day counts toward the original club, which would mean 39/186 = 21%. :thumbsup:

"Sometimes the best team doesn't win."

Nice NCAA reference. :thumbsup:

Props to the first individual that can name the team (and their captain) that beat Brendan Morrison's Wolverines in the NCAA semis that led to this comment. Extra props if you specify the year.

Actually, Lindy Ruff said today at the morning skate that he just tells his players to turn off their computers and tvs so they don't hear "rumors" because Lindy said about 90% of the rumors are usually true. Just because there's a rumor of Biron to Sabres, doesn't make it false if it doesn't happen. If Darcy called Philly and asked what it would take to bring in Marty, it makes it a legit rumor. If a player is talked about, it usually means his boss is trying to ship him away.... is what Ruff was saying.

He said 90% of the rumors are not true.

Nice NCAA reference. :thumbsup:

Props to the first individual that can name the team (and their captain) that beat Brendan Morrison's Wolverines in the NCAA semis that led to this comment. Extra props if you specify the year.

I guess I shouldn't point out where I went to school.

Archived