RUMOR: Sabres after Martin Biron in 3-team deal

Goodfella25

You seem to have a lot of hate for the man with the most games played, most blocked shots, and the most hits of all Sabre defensemen.

Fantastic point. It just seems that people focus on his brutal giveaways rather than his overall steady play. While ugly and inexcusable, the giveaways are few and far between. He's been good this year and prospers when paired with people other than Tallinder. I've been a Lydman-hater in the past. He changed my mind this year.

If there's a team that wants Tallinder, I say make the deal as soon as possible. He's not getting any better. His days of "untapped potential" are over. Now he's just an injury-prone veteran that gets caught up ice and struggles in his own zone. Surprisingly, he's played OK since coming back from injury--so now's the time.

I noticed that Eklund's "sources" are saying they have not heard anything about Marty being moved, so Bucky's rumor definitely has some legs!

RUMOR:

Tim Connolly to Vancouver for Alex Burrows. Alex Burrows to Philly for Marty Biron...

Um, that's the worst rumor ever. Just wondering, who is the source?

On a side note, i wouldn't mind Burrows in Buffalo but not at the cost of Tim Connolly.

Well, i just didn't want to clutter the forum with rumors. I expect there will be a ton of rumours and i figured to keep it all in one thread.

I agree. We pick this one.

Brendan Morrison anyone? Waived. Center. 10 years in the league.

Um, that's the worst rumor ever. Just wondering, who is the source?

On a side note, i wouldn't mind Burrows in Buffalo but not at the cost of Tim Connolly.

I'm crushed. I made it up.. Worst ever, eh? :rolleyes: :blush: :ph34r: I did say Rumor... :)

...and we'd want a very average Marty Biron, and his very large salary, why? We needs Gooooooooals!.....

He's an Unrestricted Free Agent at the end of the season, plus they would only be on the hook for the remainder of his salary this year. We need to shore up goaltending if Miller is out...say...the rest of the season.

...and we'd want a very average Marty Biron, and his very large salary, why? We needs Gooooooooals!.....

Marty would only be a rental for about $800,000. If, by chance, we make the playoffs and Ryan's out, we need someone other than yo-han.

edit: I bow to Gdfla

I don't really think goaltending is the problem right now. Lalime has been fine. (Watch, he'll let in five tomorrow.)

Lalime has been playing excellent, but we dont know the seriousness of Miller injury. Obviously, if the Sabres are making inquiries about goaltenders, Miller's injury is more serious than once thought. If Miller is out longer than expected (i.e. the entire month), then playing Lalime every game isn't a viable option. The Sabres will need another goaltender to make a serious run into the playoffs.

The Biron trade rumor makes alot of sense:

-It makes sense for Philly, because Philly needs to clear cap space.

-It makes sense for Buffalo; I've suspected the Sabres were shopping Tallinder since he came back from injury. Why else would Teppo, whom the organization has had more faith in all year long, be sitting right now?

-If Miller's injury is more serious than once thought, then we will indeed need another goaltender. Biron would make alot of sense to fit that bill; the organization knows him, and he is familiar with our play style and the team as a whole. I would assume that the management would have more faith in Biron, than an outsider (such as the other two sensible candidates, Manny Legacy and Gerber, whom the Sabres could gain off of waivers).

Lalime has been playing excellent, but we dont know the seriousness of Miller injury. Obviously, if the Sabres are making inquiries about goaltenders, Miller's injury is more serious than once thought. If Miller is out longer than expected (i.e. the entire month), then playing Lalime every game isn't a viable option.

If Miller is out longer than expected, there is no serious playoff run. If this is the case, SELL...Connolly, Kotalik and Spacek or Tallinder are all in play!

I believe that the organization as a whole feels it is very, very necessary to reach the playoffs this year. Reaching the playoffs is crucially important for player development and for the bottom line. I don't think the Sabres can afford to miss the playoffs for a second year in a row.

Marty would only be a rental for about $800,000. If, by chance, we make the playoffs and Ryan's out, we need someone other than yo-han.

edit: I bow to Gdfla

Just wondering, how did you calculate $800 K. He only makes $3.5 million and if I am not wrong, there is only one pay period left. Not that it matters as Max and him would be a wash anyway.

Just wondering, how did you calculate $800 K. He only makes $3.5 million and if I am not wrong, there is only one pay period left. Not that it matters as Max and him would be a wash anyway.

I just ass-ume that 3.5 mill divide by 82 games, times 19 more equals 800? Not sure what a pay period is, I don't get paid for those. lol

I just ass-ume that 3.5 mill divide by 82 games, times 19 more equals 800? Not sure what a pay period is, I don't get paid for those. lol

I think you're pretty close - I think the cap hit is determined by some variation of the "salary divided by number of days in the season" formula.

I don't know if they do salary like cap hits with the number of days on the roster, but if we picked him up tomorrow, there would be 41 days left of the original 186 day season. That works out to $772k.

I don't know if they do salary like cap hits with the number of days on the roster, but if we picked him up tomorrow, there would be 41 days left of the original 186 day season. That works out to $772k.

That is how it works for the cap but I am pretty sure for actual pay outs that they get paid starting in October and ending in March and only one pay period is left, which is why the deadline is set at this point. The cap hit is as you said, around $772 K but I believe the actual payout is around $500 K.

After a little quick research they get paid om the 15th and 30th of the month beginning in October and ending April 15th which equals 13 pay periods so I guess it is closer to $800 K.

Are you sure that there isn't some sort of prorated transfer from one team to the other to cover their portion of the salary? It seems odd that it wouldn't cost any more to acquire a player on the 1st or the 14th.

Archived