Any News on Vanek

ExiledInIllinois

Just make cages mandatory. :ph34r:

Just since you mention it, is there any reason (besides player's choice) that no players wear full-cage helmets? The only person I've ever seen do it is the guy from Ottawa (Fisher, Vermette, or Eaves) a few years ago who wore one due to some sort of injury.

If I played in the NHL I would probably wear a full cage...

Honestly, I don't think it was ever a question (Vanek or no Vanek) that Connolly is here to stay.

Anyway, it's hard to say what happens now. We don't have anyone else that I would consider a first line player. Chances are Paetsch stays in the lineup, Peters and Paille rotate the last roster spot, and maybe Hecht (wow) or Roy (eliminates our 2nd line) move up to play with Timmy and Drew.

I don't think they are going to do any crazy moves like Roy with Connolly and Stafford. Besides Miller, we've been lead by some player or players for long stretches. For a while it was Vanek, few weeks ago Roy was super hot, and lately it's been Stafford and Connolly. This is the time where Pominville, Kotalik and Hecht need to start to play very well and put up some goals on the scoreboard.

Just since you mention it, is there any reason (besides player's choice) that no players wear full-cage helmets? The only person I've ever seen do it is the guy from Ottawa (Fisher, Vermette, or Eaves) a few years ago who wore one due to some sort of injury.

Marketing. NHL won't be able to market it's players if they have a bull cage infront of them.

I'm less concerned about a 50 goal season for Thomas Vanek than I am about the Sabres chances of making the playoffs now. The offense just took a big hit.

The Sabres have to count on some of the underachievers (Pominville, Kotalik, Hecht) to start lighting the lamp. It's alot to ask for.

:(

Vanek-Man covered it. It's mostly marketing. Of course, the NFL does it, so ...

They are working on mandatory visors, as they have in the AHL, but even that isn't a rule yet and would likely be grandfathered in, anyway.

Stephane Robidas from Dallas is wearing one (full cage) because he's had multiple facial surgeries. We might see Vanek wear one when he returns.

It would certainly solve the fighting problem, though. ;)

no, they wear a thin itech jaw shield. rob blake is currently wearing one. it looks like the lafontain had 15 years ago but it is plastic ans see through.

clearly a terrible injury. he will be back in 3 weeks. but you cant eat real well when ur jaw is locked up. mostly shakes and baby food. he will have to get drips of protein to keep he playing wiegh of 210 pounds.

these guys are in a lot of trouble. but vanek is./was not a leader. he is a just a cherry picker with soft hands.

i think the gaustad injury is worse.

these guys are in a lot of trouble. but vanek is./was not a leader. he is a just a cherry picker with soft hands.

i think the gaustad injury is worse.

Yeah, but they're really good hands.

In some ways, I agree that Gaustad loss is very bad; not worse, but different. In Vanek, we lost a big part of our arsenal; in Goose, we lost part of our heart. Having both out will be very tough. Others will have to step up.

I'm less concerned about a 50 goal season for Thomas Vanek than I am about the Sabres chances of making the playoffs now. The offense just took a big hit.

The Sabres have to count on some of the underachievers (Pominville, Kotalik, Hecht) to start lighting the lamp. It's alot to ask for.

:(

I'm with you. 50 for TV would have been nice. A playoff run is much better. Damn.

This is not good at all. We can hope that he returns quickly like Teppo did, but this is really bad news for the Sabres. We're looking at about a month at the longest, and maybe 2 weeks like Teppo if we're lucky. Without any trades or callups, I imagine the lines looking as follows:

Kotalik-Connolly-Stafford

Hecht-Roy-Pominville

Paille-MacArthur-Kaleta

Ellis-Mair-Paetsch

I'm not sure the Sabres will keep Paetsch at forward and will likely send Weber down and let Paetsch play d. If they do that, then I could see one of Mancari, Gerbe, or Kennedy being called up. This is not a good situation at all, but it means that the rest of the team will have to step up. And let's not forget, before the Toronto game, Vanek had only scored 5 goals in 21 games even though the Sabres were winning games. We need that sort of production from everyone else. We need guys like Kotalik, Pominville, and Hecht to really step up. I kind of dread the power play now as there isn't anyone who will stand in front of the net to get the tip-ins like Vanek and Gaustad do. This next month will be the biggest test of the season for the Sabres. Let's see how they respond.

Yeah, but they're really good hands.

In some ways, I agree that Gaustad loss is very bad; not worse, but different. In Vanek, we lost a big part of our arsenal; in Goose, we lost part of our heart. Having both out will be very tough. Others will have to step up.

You think? They just lost the only two players they have that will stay camped in front of the net to distract opposing goalies and deflect shots from the point.

Eck Reporting....

It didn't take long for the Sabres, who lost Vanek for a up to month (as reported here by Garth....see HERE) to start making calls according to several sources. Apparently the first player that the Sabres may look to in order to keep them in this playoff hunt could be Erik Cole.

Erik Cole Rumor

Maybe he could play on the same line with Joikinen, and all of the other players we supposedly were trading for.

Eck Reporting....

It didn't take long for the Sabres, who lost Vanek for a up to month (as reported here by Garth....see HERE) to start making calls according to several sources. Apparently the first player that the Sabres may look to in order to keep them in this playoff hunt could be Erik Cole.

Erik Cole Rumor

Maybe he could play on the same line with Joikinen, and all of the other players we supposedly were trading for.

Well, he is from Oswego, so maybe he'll push for the trade. :rolleyes:

One thing to note about Cole: he has struggled since going to Edmonton and many attribute this to his switch from right wing to left wing. They were looking for a left winger to play with Hemsky and thought that Cole, who actually shoots left, could work on that side. I don't know how frequently he plays on each side now, but the first game that they switched him back to right wing, he was noticeably more effective. Since we need a left winger, not a right, that would be something to consider ... if anything EK says is worth considering.

it is just so stupid -- these reports. cole is the oil's only good player up front, minus a young gagner, EM, Penner and hemsky. yeah, cole is an upstate NY guy. regardless of the injury to vanek, guys like cole would be great additions to this average 500% club. cole is a cup winner and pure work horse. but i mean, what, all the sudden, b/k of this injury, regier is willing to give up the prospect and lowe is willing to part with his 3rd best player? haha...what a fuking joke. this would have happened already if it could--- b/k regier knows he needs help with this lineup. this has been 2 yrs with the same group of loafers and softies.

more realistic, Vanek is back in 3 weeks and mancari plays wing for a 10 games while he gone. sabres are 8th or 9th in the standing and then on march 4, regier rips off the teams that are done in the standing (st louis, LA, Islanders, nucks).

Eck Reporting....

Erik Cole Rumor

it is just so stupid -- these reports. cole is the oil's only good player up front, minus a young gagner, EM, Penner and hemsky. yeah, cole is an upstate NY guy. regardless of the injury to vanek, guys like cole would be great additions to this average 500% club. cole is a cup winner and pure work horse. but i mean, what, all the sudden, b/k of this injury, regier is willing to give up the prospect and lowe is willing to part with his 3rd best player? haha...what a fuking joke. this would have happened already if it could--- b/k regier knows he needs help with this lineup. this has been 2 yrs with the same group of loafers and softies.

more realistic, Vanek is back in 3 weeks and mancari plays wing for a 10 games while he gone. sabres are 8th or 9th in the standing and then on march 4, regier rips off the teams that are done in the standing (st louis, LA, Islanders, nucks).

Not saying there's any truth to the Erik Cole rumour or not, but i was watching sportsnet on center ice for the Hawks/Flames game last week and during intermission they said Oilers were unhappy with Cole. They said they just expected more and have no interest in re-signing him long term and he's one player they think will be traded, even if Oilers are still in the hunt.

And just today i read an article on sporting news web site which suggests that Cole may also be available-

Erik Cole is mentioned frequently, thanks to a miserable start. He has gotten better in recent weeks, which would boost his trade value. The Oilers are ninth in the conference standings, and it would take a significant slip for them to make big moves. However, Cole would be attractive to teams looking for a power forward.

Link- http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=515729

He's one player i would like to have. When he doesn't score, he'd atleast use his size.

I dunno, it is kind of a big deal. It can be bad for locker room morale too when your star forward is out.

Or it could be the exact opposite.

Not that I'm in anyway trying to diminish Vanek's value to this team, I'm just saying the curren Sabres have a way of turning these injuries into a rallying cry of sorts, and come out swinging.

Also, of course this means some fringe players will be getting more ice time now, and may be determined to make the most of it.

I doubt we'll see guys like Pominville or Kotalik step up. Kotalik could hit one of his hot streaks, but with Pommer I think what you see is what you get. And let's be honest, it's not like he's not contributing at all, he's just being paid too much for what he's bringing, currently.

I'm looking more in the direction of a call-up like Mancari or perhaps a guy like MacArthur. There are minutes to be played out there, and opportunities to be taken.

Let's see if someone is able to grab that chance.

Grapes was saying on Coaches Corner last night that Vanek and Lindy got what they deserved with the injury since Vanek was still out there looking for a fourth goal in Wed's blowout of the Leafs. Grapes was saying something like, you "don't mess with the hockey gods or they'll come back to haunt you." Something like that...

As much as I love Don Cherry, I thought the comment was a little off...but that's to be expected.

Whats Toronto's excuse? :unsure:

This kind of statement pisses me off..................Vanek is one of the only players on the Sabres that has the balls to stand in front of the net, screen the goalie and take the abuse......He has soft hands and scores important goals, in fact he kept us afloat for the first 30 games of the season, while other players loafed and forgot to show up.

This kind of statement pisses me off..................Vanek is one of the only players on the Sabres that has the balls to stand in front of the net, screen the goalie and take the abuse......He has soft hands and scores important goals, in fact he kept us afloat for the first 30 games of the season, while other players loafed and forgot to show up.

As it should. I think too many people forget that he is only in his fourth year and is still working to round out his game. He may be the most talented offensive player the Sabres have ever drafted. He may be the most talented offensive player period. Vanek has also made great strides in his defensive game. Many times this season Vanek has hustled back to the defensive zone to break up rushes. Is he perfect? No. He is young and has plenty of time to work on his game. More importantly he has the desire to do so.

Archived