Any News on Vanek

ExiledInIllinois

more realistic, Vanek is back in 3 weeks and mancari plays wing for a 10 games while he gone.

If Mancari is called up, he's here to stay. He can only play 3 more games until he has to clear waivers to be returned to Portland. While his production has tailed off down there, I'm sure someone would claim him.

But then again, there is what I think is the far more likely scenario where he ends up as part of a trade.

As it should. I think too many people forget that he is only in his fourth year and is still working to round out his game. He may be the most talented offensive player the Sabres have ever drafted. He may be the most talented offensive player period. Vanek has also made great strides in his defensive game. Many times this season Vanek has hustled back to the defensive zone to break up rushes. Is he perfect? No. He is young and has plenty of time to work on his game. More importantly he has the desire to do so.

Vanek is great but I can't see him topping Gilbert Perreault. :thumbsup:

no, they wear a thin itech jaw shield. rob blake is currently wearing one. it looks like the lafontain had 15 years ago but it is plastic ans see through.

clearly a terrible injury. he will be back in 3 weeks. but you cant eat real well when ur jaw is locked up. mostly shakes and baby food. he will have to get drips of protein to keep he playing wiegh of 210 pounds.

these guys are in a lot of trouble. but vanek is./was not a leader. he is a just a cherry picker with soft hands.

i think the gaustad injury is worse.

So now we pick on one of our best players? You are unbelievable!

True about Gilbert and the goalies he faced, but don't you just think that if he were playing today he would be just as awesome?

It's all relative I guess but I just think that if he were playing todays game he would still stun and amaze...

True about Gilbert and the goalies he faced, but don't you just think that if he were playing today he would be just as awesome?

It's all relative I guess but I just think that if he were playing todays game he would still stun and amaze...

Plus they did not call hooking and slashing back then. Todays goalies are better but they also wear much bigger equipment. I love watching Miller, a 165 lb person, look about 300 lbs in pads!!

Eck Reporting....

It didn't take long for the Sabres, who lost Vanek for a up to month (as reported here by Garth....see HERE) to start making calls according to several sources. Apparently the first player that the Sabres may look to in order to keep them in this playoff hunt could be Erik Cole.

Erik Cole Rumor

Maybe he could play on the same line with Joikinen, and all of the other players we supposedly were trading for.

Why trade for a guy to replace Vanek when you can stick Paetch at wing, cross your fingers, and stick your head back in the sand?

Why trade for a guy to replace Vanek when you can stick Paetch at wing, cross your fingers, and stick your head back in the sand?

:lol: Yeah when Lindy put him there against Toronto, I was just wondering the criticism he'd be getting based on his effectiveness in that role. I think people mostly think it has worked out, but if it hadn't......

hey, i call em like i see em. vanek is an awesome player -- who would ever say different? and it sucks he got drilled in the face. look, on balance, he might be the best pure goal scorer the team has ever had -- minus david andreychuck. he is pure. and he does sit in front of the net and take a beating on the PP.

my only point is that he is not a leader. he is a part of this club, but not the most important part. he is just a spoke in the wheel and i don't think he will ever be anything more than that. i would say he is the 4th or 5th most important player on this roster -- in light of the style they play (or are supposed to play) and mentality of their coach (a salty old adams division type /western canada farm boy who asks for piss and vinegar each shift -- with no shiny pretty boy bullsgit plays). vanek, in alot of ways, is no different than guys like jimmy carson, tony tanti, rob brown, luc robitaille, alex tangauy, et al. just another winger who can pot 50 on a loosing /average team.

he reminds me of a striker in soccer who vanishes for 3/4 of the game. i know ill take some shots for ribbing vanek -- but when this club was ot west --- and couldnt penetrate the flames or ducks defense, he was on the bench sulking. he could do crap except look frustrated each shift that he was getting checked, beat to pucks and out worked.

the leaders of this club are

miller

gaustad

stafford

roy

rivet

&

spacek

hey, i call em like i see em. vanek is an awesome player -- who would ever say different? and it sucks he got drilled in the face. look, on balance, he might be the best pure goal scorer the team has ever had -- minus david andreychuck. he is pure. and he does sit in front of the net and take a beating on the PP.

my only point is that he is not a leader. he is a part of this club, but not the most important part. he is just a spoke in the wheel and i don't think he will ever be anything more than that. i would say he is the 4th or 5th most important player on this roster -- in light of the style they play (or are supposed to play) and mentality of their coach (a salty old adams division type /western canada farm boy who asks for piss and vinegar each shift -- with no shiny pretty boy bullsgit plays). vanek, in alot of ways, is no different than guys like jimmy carson, tony tanti, rob brown, luc robitaille, alex tangauy, et al. just another winger who can pot 50 on a loosing /average team.

he reminds me of a striker in soccer who vanishes for 3/4 of the game. i know ill take some shots for ribbing vanek -- but when this club was ot west --- and couldnt penetrate the flames or ducks defense, he was on the bench sulking. he could do crap except look frustrated each shift that he was getting checked, beat to pucks and out worked.

the leaders of this club are

miller

gaustad

stafford

roy

rivet

&

spacek

What makes Stafford a leader?

Just since you mention it, is there any reason (besides player's choice) that no players wear full-cage helmets? The only person I've ever seen do it is the guy from Ottawa (Fisher, Vermette, or Eaves) a few years ago who wore one due to some sort of injury.

If I played in the NHL I would probably wear a full cage...

Exactly... They don't even have to wear the cage... Go with the full shield... The tech now eliminates fogging.

There are a number of things Stafford has done -- illustrating his leadership. frist off, his pedigree is leader material -- he was the captain of the american junior team; captain or assistant in college. he was picked by ruff to lead the prospect camp this season (where he tutorded the new guys - as a big brother).

on the ice, he has been finishing checks, going to the net, making the right play over an over. when the chips are down -- ruff calls his number on the bench (watch ruffs eye look down the bench and look for his jersey). there was a sabre who got hit with a cheap shot -- it may have been drury a few season ago (or more recent ) and stafford went after the guy. it might have been chris neil. after every play, he is there to defend a palyer -- usually a smurf winger or panzie he plays with.

he scores goals -- skates hard and plays an appealing game. i think he leads by example and is a terrific pro player by all and any standard. on this team, even as young as he is, he is a leader for sure.

What makes Stafford a leader?

there was a sabre who got hit with a cheap shot -- it may have been drury a few season ago (or more recent ) and stafford went after the guy. it might have been chris neil. after every play, he is there to defend a palyer

Not to come off as a pompous ass but how this play is not etched in your brain is beyond me. YES it was Chris Drury. Yes it was Chris Neil and Yes it was Stafford that came to his defense.

Not to come off as a pompous ass but how this play is not etched in your brain is beyond me. YES it was Chris Drury. Yes it was Chris Neil and Yes it was Stafford that came to his defense.

Probably due to it pretty much being overshadowed by the calamity that ensued due to said previous play

Teppo just got back from a banged up jaw... I haven't seen how he looks and he is 40! How did he look?

??

Teppo had a 'dislocation' of his jaw and didn't need any wires. He could eat regular food.

Thomas has a fractured jaw, it's wired shut. Everything goes in the blender.

Not to come off as a pompous ass either, but how this play is not etched in your brain is beyond me. YES it was Chris Drury. Yes it was Chris Neil and Yes it was Stafford that came to his defense.

I remember a couple of years ago, maybe less -- it may have been in the playoffs -- one of our defensemen, possibly campbell, hit somebody on the other team -- flyers, I think, could have been Umberger -- and the guy was hurt a little or maybe not.

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

I remember a couple of years ago, maybe less -- it may have been in the playoffs -- one of our defensemen, possibly campbell, hit somebody on the other team -- flyers, I think, could have been Umberger -- and the guy was hurt a little or maybe not.

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

Clearly it was Andrew Peters.

Archived