Things that make you go hmmm ...

carpandean

They could have crapped on the center of a blue & gold jersey and still sold a ton. That rush on jerseys was much more about the success of the team and heightened expectations than anything else.

I knew about Montreal, knew about their white third in the past, and hadn't heard about the Stars.

The Dallas third is (allegedly) the white jersey they have mow, but green replacing the black striping.

That idea about all 3rd jersey teams having their logo at center ice for the preseason doesn't quite add up. Haven't there been stories about how certain teams won't release their jerseys until some point in the middle of the season? Obviously those teams can't have the logo on their ice in the preseason (unless it's the same logo). Yeah, those teams that have released their jerseys already probably have the new logo on their ice (I should walk down the street and see if the Bruins did it), but that statement isn't completely accurate.

No matter what you think of the "slug" ( I personally like it), how can anyone say that they f*****d up?

I think this goes back to my "Everything tastes better wrapped in Bacon" theory. Of course the Sluggalo Jersey sales were great, the team was great. They could have been wearing pictures of Rosie O'Donnell naked and they would have sold. It wasn't what the fans wanted but they won so we went along with it. It was a slam dunk to go back to some rendition of the original logo and the sluggalo crept into the arena. Larry threw that dunk down so hard off the back off the rim the ball catapulted out of the arena.

That idea about all 3rd jersey teams having their logo at center ice for the preseason doesn't quite add up. Haven't there been stories about how certain teams won't release their jerseys until some point in the middle of the season? Obviously those teams can't have the logo on their ice in the preseason (unless it's the same logo). Yeah, those teams that have released their jerseys already probably have the new logo on their ice (I should walk down the street and see if the Bruins did it), but that statement isn't completely accurate.

They would need to melt and rebuild the ice after the pre-season, wouldn't they?

I don't see that happening.

That makes sense. Another reason it doesn't add up is why would the Sabres open the slug can of worms all over again by painting the original logo on the ice only to remove it after two pre-season games? LQ can't be that big of a bonehead........ or can he?

They would need to melt and rebuild the ice after the pre-season, wouldn't they?

I don't see that happening.

The painted logo isn't all that far down in the ice. It doesn't take too much effort to change it. Just for a little perspective, out here in Boston when they have the Beanpot for two weeks, generally center ice is repainted with college logos for the last week of the tournament. Within days, it will be back to the Bruins logo.

That makes sense. Another reason it doesn't add up is why would the Sabres open the slug can of worms all over again by painting the original logo on the ice only to remove it after two pre-season games? LQ can't be that big of a bonehead........ or can he?

The original post said that it was being done by each of the 3rd jersey wearing teams, which means it was a decision made league-wide. Once again, people are blaming Quinn for something that he has nothing to do with.

The original post said that it was being done by each of the 3rd jersey wearing teams, which means it was a decision made league-wide. Once again, people are blaming Quinn for something that he has nothing to do with.

That's what I don't buy though. Why would the league mandate the alternate logo be used on the ice only for a few pre-season games? I can see them suggesting teams doing it if they want but not mandating it. If given the option, I would imagine Sabres management would want to avoid anything that could open up the logo debate again if at all possible.

That's what I don't buy though. Why would the league mandate the alternate logo be used on the ice only for a few pre-season games? I can see them suggesting teams doing it if they want but not mandating it. If given the option, I would imagine Sabres management would want to avoid anything that could open up the logo debate again if at all possible.

Preseason games that, for the most part, are not getting a TV audience. So that excuse REALLY makes no sense.

Three things;

1) I understand what Weasel was saying about other "white" third jerseys and am not sure the present reasoning but I know the Sabres' original request to use their retro whites was turned down.

2) I have found no verification for a league mandate regarding alternate logos and as has already been suggested, that would make no sense considering 90% of games are not on tv

3) I was shocked to hear on Saturday's Sabre TV, that the ice is only 1" thick. But if it is true, changing logos would seem relatively easy

Three things;

1) I understand what Weasel was saying about other "white" third jerseys and am not sure the present reasoning but I know the Sabres' original request to use their retro whites was turned down.

2) I have found no verification for a league mandate regarding alternate logos and as has already been suggested, that would make no sense considering 90% of games are not on tv

3) I was shocked to hear on Saturday's Sabre TV, that the ice is only 1" thick. But if it is true, changing logos would seem relatively easy

And one other thing to add, when the Sabres added their 3rds back when the abominable snot smear (a.s.s.) took center stage, the league had a rule that 3rds could not be added in the same year a sweater change took place, so the Sabres' 3rds were technically vintage jerseys. Funny, but I don't recall ever seeing a classic sweater w/ the player's number on his chest. I guess I just didn't watch them far enough back.

You know darn well that if when Varada gets head butted in the finals w/ not only no suspension, no penalty, that the league can say "the playoffs are different" then they can decide some teams are more equal than others regarding unis.

While I expect that there is some logo worse than the slug, I can't think of what it would be off the top of my head. Heck, give the Gorton's Fisherman a sword in each hand and I'd probably take HIM over a YELLOW buffalo.

Funny, but I don't recall ever seeing a classic sweater w/ the player's number on his chest. I guess I just didn't watch them far enough back.

:thumbsup: You know by now that a Quinny innovation will be implemented across the board. They even have the number on the front of tshirts in the Sabres store that have the logo on the front. I will be interested to see how many other NHL teams follow the lead of the Sabres on this. Actually I wonder why the NHL hasn't either mandated this for all jerseys or told the Sabres to shitcan it.

It makes them money though.

One of the funniest things I've ever seen:

I mentioned earlier about the ice here in Boston being repainted for the Beanpot. Well, during the finals in that tourney a few years back, at center ice, they had the logos for the 4 teams surrounding the circle, in those 4 spots that usually have ads. After resurfacing, there was a big wet spot over the Northeastern logo. Someone from the ice crew came out with a squeegee (no clue how to spell that) to spread that water around. As he did it, it smeared the NU logo. For the rest of the game, there was a giant black and red streak where that logo was supposed to be.

That should give you an idea of how close to the surface that paint can be.

Here is a blog from the Puck Daddy (sounds like a pimp). More of the usual but interesting as at least it's put out there past our message boards.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy

You have to scroll down a little. It's dateline is: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:15 pm EDT. Search for that on the page if you're too lazy to use that middle mouse wheel.

Archived