Things that make you go hmmm ...

carpandean

Several people noted that at the opening of training camp, when the Sabres unveiled their new third, the slug was not at center ice.

Now, reports are coming in from people that are going to training camp that the third jersey (updated classic) logo is now at center ice.

Makes me go "hmmm ..."

It's always been my theory, that Sabres didn't bring back the original logo for a reason. They wanted a "Buffalo" type logo with the old colors, to make money and generate buzz, but when the team starts playing bad, and people are starting to jump off the wagons, the team would change logos and go back to the old school look to please people. lol I know it's a lil extreme but thats what i always thought.

It's always been my theory, that Sabres didn't bring back the original logo for a reason. They wanted a "Buffalo" type logo with the old colors, to make money and generate buzz, but when the team starts playing bad, and people are starting to jump off the wagons, the team would change logos and go back to the old school look to please people. lol I know it's a lil extreme but thats what i always thought.

Works for me! post-1053-1222281366_thumbgif

Mostly because I want it to be true. ;)

I agree with you, that's always been my conspiracy theory on the whole thing too.

I think that gives the FO too much credit. This is the same team that lacked the foresight to retain a few players they wanted to hold on to.

I am down w/ that! I wish they went to this jersey in the first place. One of my up to date jerseys is the road slug, but w/ this one coming out I'll have to buy it. It'd be great if they had a white version of this jersey next year. The alternate could be the slug. Just something to wish for...

I am down w/ that! I wish they went to this jersey in the first place. One of my up to date jerseys is the road slug, but w/ this one coming out I'll have to buy it. It'd be great if they had a white version of this jersey next year. The alternate could be the slug. Just something to wish for...

I get the feeling that that is something they are going to slowly try to phase in. Play with the normal away jerseys, and alternate the current home with the current 3rd every other home or every 3 games and then sometime near the end of the season just be like, ok, we swapped 1st and 3rd.

I get the feeling that that is something they are going to slowly try to phase in. Play with the normal away jerseys, and alternate the current home with the current 3rd every other home or every 3 games and then sometime near the end of the season just be like, ok, we swapped 1st and 3rd.

I hope so!

This looks too good to take down and re-slug...

HERE IS A BETTER RESOLUTION PHOTO!

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii117/S...gs/2gv93jc1.jpg

Ok, my wife and I have an agreed upon price limit when we buy Christmas gifts for eachother. Last year, I got the home slug jersey. Looks like I'll be getting the alternate, hopefully first, jersey this year. Two jerseys in two years. I can't decide between Roy, Pomminstein, or Miller. Vanek played great hockey after the all-star break though...

Great new jersey though! :w00t:

Does the NHL have a rule similar to the NFL? The Sabres just changed logos a couple of years ago. Do they have to wait a certain amount of time to request another change? I was thinking of marketing and other things the league does to promote the team. There also needs to be a white jersey out there somewhere.

Does the NHL have a rule similar to the NFL? The Sabres just changed logos a couple of years ago. Do they have to wait a certain amount of time to request another change? I was thinking of marketing and other things the league does to promote the team. There also needs to be a white jersey out there somewhere.

Remember me:

post-1053-1222296466_thumbpng

Barely lasted two seasons. So, unless they have changed the rules, I think we're good.

Let's keep in mind that selling jerseys is the key. Putting the new logo on the ice and wearing the new jerseys for the home opener creates buzz. More buzz, more jerseys sold. I highly doubt this is the beginning of the end for the slug and I really don't think it's even an issue with the average fan anymore.

Remember me:

Barely lasted two seasons. So, unless they have changed the rules, I think we're good.

Thanks. I forgot how bad that was. However, Islanders fans were much louder in their protest than Sabre fans have been. Could be because at least our they went back to blue and gold. If that picture of the ice at the Arena is real, this is great.

Remember me:

Yep.

The Cliffnotes version: NY rolled it out before the 95-96 season (along with the teal coloring); in 96-97 introduced a third jersey with a "NY" logo in place of the fisherman; in 97-98 the NY logo completely replaced the Gorton's Fisherman; and went back to their traditional colors and logo in 98-99.

Thanks. I forgot how bad that was. However, Islanders fans were much louder in their protest than Sabre fans have been. Could be because at least our they went back to blue and gold. If that picture of the ice at the Arena is real, this is great.

Well in fairness to Sabres' fans (and online petitions and websites aside) Islanders fans didn't have much else to talk about when the Gorton's Fisherman was rolled out. The 96-97 season was Year 3 of the Isles recent seven-year run with no playoffs. I don't need to recap all the reasons why the slug was selling like hotcakes, but long story short, the team's success - coming off a deep playoff run and starting the new season with a huge hot streak -- played a huge role in the sale of slug jerseys.

:cry:

Those are tears of joy, my friends.

I'm with you, BtP. I really hope this is, as others have suggested, a shift in attitude and a planned move away from the slug and back toward the crossed sabres logo.

But that logo at Center Ice really looks sweet, don't it? ;)

Howdy folks -- haven't posted over here in a while (been too busy on the Bills' board) but now that the pucks are dropping I've started stopping by a little more frequently. This thread (and photo) definitely caught my attention.

I'm not one for conspiracy theories and the like, but going to the trouble of putting an "alternate" logo on center ice smacks of something more significant than generating "buzz" for a third jersey. We can only hope.

In any event, the ice at HSBC looks pretty friggin' sweet.

Makes me go "hmmm ..."

Makes me go "What the #%^$#!!"

This is an admission on their part that they #%^$#!ed up with the entire Sluggalo idea. Except they won't admit it. They will spin it like it is their idea to bring the old logo back. Larry Quinn is the ultimate bozo. All the lies and BS PR spin that they did with the new logo was just that, #%^$#!ing . I don't know if Quinn is the dumbest man in America or the smartest. He keeps pulling the wool over everyone's eyes, at least the people he works with, and gets promoted for it. Is he the ultimate "Yes" man? Why does OSP have so much faith in this quack? He stumbles at every fork in the road. The Vanek contract, the Drury negotiations, the Sluggalo, the list is long for this mother #%^$#!ers #%^$#! ups.

It's official, I hate the Medicine Woman.

Archived