Meszaros signs offer sheet?[UPDATED...Traded to TB]

X. Benedict

http://thehockeynews.com/articles/17685-So...other-team.html

"Hours after Ottawa GM Bryan Murray held a news conference to announce the team was at a contractual impasse with restricted free agent defenseman Andrej Meszaros, The Hockey News has learned from an NHL source that Meszaros has agreed to a multi-year offer sheet with an average salary in excess of $5 million per season."

"Hours after Ottawa GM Bryan Murray held a news conference to announce the team was at a contractual impasse with restricted free agent defenseman Andrej Meszaros, The Hockey News has learned from an NHL source that Meszaros has agreed to a multi-year offer sheet with an average salary in excess of $5 million per season."

If that be true, I would say try to deal of Lydman and/or paetsch to try to get him in here. He's not the best d-man in the world but i think he's worth tossing the two of them.

Yeah, I just put myself on the cross, start nailin away.

Yeah, I know, I know. We castigate Darcy for not going after the big guns. However, come trade deadline time, when other teams are tight on the cap and we have room to spare, Darcy may be making a few phone calls. "Hey, want some cap relief? I can ship Max off to you for Maszaros and take a load off your hands. Deal?"

BTW, that was hypothetical, but not out of the realm of possibility.

I read on a Ottawa message board some people who claim to be in the know, claim it's Tampa Bay who he has signed the offer sheet with.

Tampa has spent so much money already I'd be astonished if they had 5M more laying around...

Tampa has spent so much money already I'd be astonished if they had 5M more laying around...

Unless Vinny's on the move somewhere, which I highly doubt given that they moved Richards last year.

That said, if there's a team in more trouble than us on D, it's Tampa.

Yeah, I know, I know. We castigate Darcy for not going after the big guns. However, come trade deadline time, when other teams are tight on the cap and we have room to spare, Darcy may be making a few phone calls. "Hey, want some cap relief? I can ship Max off to you for Maszaros and take a load off your hands. Deal?"

BTW, that was hypothetical, but not out of the realm of possibility.

No, I would say out of the realm too, they had cap relief this year too, and all we saw was the cap relief grow and a prospect (who wasn't even kept) and a pick come in

TSN says:

"The Hockey News has subsequently reported that Meszaros has signed an offer sheet with another team worth more than $5 million per season, but the Senators are denying it while Meszaros' agent Ritch Winter told TSN, "No comment," when asked about the offer sheet signing."

SENATORS, MESZAROS NOT CLOSE TO NEW CONTRACT

I'd suspect they may have an offer sheet in hand but they haven't signed it yet.

Tampa's only got 3 mill in cap space left. Must be someone else.

Yeah, but that's for 17 forwards and 6 defensemen (the salary for their seventh defenseman, Hutchinson, is currently listed as $0). If you take the bottom three salaries off of their forwards (i.e., send them down to the farm team along with Hutchinson or another defenseman), that adds $1.8 million in cap space, taking them to $5.055 million. Drop one more to the standard 13 forwards and they have about $5.8 million in space. Not exactly a comfortable position to be when adding a $5 million player, but doable if they really want to.

Yeah, but that's for 17 forwards and 6 defensemen (the salary for their seventh defenseman, Hutchinson, is currently listed as $0). If you take the bottom three salaries off of their forwards (i.e., send them down to the farm team along with Hutchinson or another defenseman), that adds $1.8 million in cap space, taking them to $5.055 million. Drop one more to the standard 13 forwards and they have about $5.8 million in space. Not exactly a comfortable position to be when adding a $5 million player, but doable if they really want to.

Don't see it happening.

For another reason Tampa Bay gave their 3rd round pick for the rights to Malone and if they offer 5 million they'd need a first, second and third round pick. They need to deal with Pittsburgh (or some other team I suppose) to get the third back.

If he had signed an offer sheet, why wouldn't the team be public knowledge at this point? That was the case with every single play that I can ever remember signing one: Federox, Sakic, Kesler, Vanek, Penner, Backes, Bernier...

I would think the league would be aware of it once it was signed to begin the 7 days to match or not.

If he had signed an offer sheet, why wouldn't the team be public knowledge at this point? That was the case with every single play that I can ever remember signing one: Federox, Sakic, Kesler, Vanek, Penner, Backes, Bernier...

Because he has agreed to the offer but the team is hopeful of working out a trade rather then give up a 1st, 2nd and 3rd. If an agreeement is not reached, he will isgn the offer.

Don't see it happening.

For another reason Tampa Bay gave their 3rd round pick for the rights to Malone and if they offer 5 million they'd need a first, second and third round pick. They need to deal with Pittsburgh (or some other team I suppose) to get the third back.

They would have to get their own third back per the CBA.

Tampa's only got 3 mill in cap space left. Must be someone else.

Don't teams have until the begining of the season to get under the cap? Any room needed could be made after the deal is done.

This is clearly good for the Sabres and bad for the Sens. The Sens are either going to lose another defenseman (who admittedly is a decent but not great player) or have to pay over $5MM per year for a guy who's not worth it. To the extent they trade, they probably will get less than the picks -- since the other team will only make a trade if they feel like they are giving up less than the picks.

Assuming Messy is gone, Ottawa now has 4 NHL defensemen -- Phillips, Smith, Volchenkov and Schubert. Volchenkov and Phillips are good players, and Smith may or may not still be able to be effective.

My heart ain't bleeding for them.

Because he has agreed to the offer but the team is hopeful of working out a trade rather then give up a 1st, 2nd and 3rd. If an agreeement is not reached, he will isgn the offer.

I hate the terminology. Yeah, its nitpicking, but you haven't agreed to the deal until its signed. Even if this is the case, there's nothing to stop some other team from swooping in and offering more money if they really wanted to.

I hate the terminology. Yeah, its nitpicking, but you haven't agreed to the deal until its signed. Even if this is the case, there's nothing to stop some other team from swooping in and offering more money if they really wanted to.

Understand, but there is still a portion of society that believes in "the word is your bond" credo. Amongst athletes, I would say that hockey players lean more toward that rule.

Archived