[OT] Do you own a cell phone?

LabattBlue

60 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own a cell phone?

• Yes
    • No

wow thats nuts. But how old is your daughter? Just wondering...

she's 16

and I forgot to mention that when I "locate" her, it will say if she's traveling slower than 5mph or faster, so I would know if she's in a car or not

LOL wtf... thats so weird. lol

Pissed me right the hell off too. He ended up putting it away half way through the movie though. But yea, I hate those things. Especially when people are talking to themselves and you don't know they have one. Then you're looking at them like their crazy, then they look at you like you're crazy for looking at them like that.

Just let us talk on our phones NYS. Then I don't have to deal with this awkwardness anymore!!!

Went to go see dark knight a week ago and during the movie i saw probably a dozen blue blinking lights on the sides of peoples head. One guy was sitting about two rows in front of me and i asked him to put it away and he said "I'm waiting for a call". GET THE &^%$ OUT OF THE THEATER THEN A$$!

I've told several people to turn their phones off during/before movies... just did it last week actually at my 3rd viewing of The Dark Knight. Usually they are teenagers, most adults are a little more considerate... if they are close enough to me I'll tell them I didn't pay to see them text with their friends so put it away! Then usually people around me "cheer" me on... most people are annoyed too but won't say anything. That's one place where you could bet the majority of people will be on your side.

My wife has one but I don't. There is very little I hate more than talking on the phone. Every time I see someone walking around a store using one or when they have one of those gay ear pieces in their ear I get the overwhelming urge to punch them in the back of the head. Actually I would be in favor of making it legal to assault anyone caught using one of those ear pieces in public. It's OK for fast food employees not everyone else.

My oh my, you have anger issues... :ph34r:

I carry a crackberry. Not much of a phone, so while I have it, I'd rather use something that fits my ear more naturally. I simply can't imagine not having one...

I'm with you on hating to talk on the phone, but I do have a Palm Treo. I also hate those ear pieces, especially when you don't realize that they have one. I was walking from the parking lot into my building last year and this extremely attractive girl was walking toward me, smiling, looking right at me and she said "hi" (one of those long stretched out, really happy to talk to/see you type hi's that can't be properly captured in text). I nearly got out my awkward reply when she started talking again, clearly about something I wasn't involved in. Then, I noticed the ear piece under her hair. Can't say that I wanted to punch her, but I did want to crush the ear piece into the concrete.

this is a great story, and illustrates a point that i talk about all the time: people who walk around talking with their bluetooth technology, etc. still appear insane to me. i've waited a while for this to wear off, for the activity to appear more normal, but it's been a while now, and i still think those people are crazy (not to mention inane (as opposed to just insane)).

jim rome does an amusing rant on this -- his point, which is well taken, is that if you're wearing a hands-free device when you're not driving ("rocking the bluetooth bling," i think he calls it), then you're a douchebag and deserve to be slapped in the head.

I really don't think there's that much of a connection between the two. Cell phones have become so widespread, they've moved beyond just being a tech thing.

fair enough. but i would maintain that people who don't access the internet on any regular basis would be marginally more likely not to have a cell phone as well. that is, if the general population has, say, an 8% rate of "no cell phone," then that portion of our population that regularly accesses the internet would, in my mind, have a lower rate (say, 4%).

There isn't anything I do 3200 times a month...well...besides that. :ph34r:

he's here all week, ladies and gentlemen, please ... try the veal.

I carry a crackberry. Not much of a phone, so while I have it, I'd rather use something that fits my ear more naturally.

as my cousin once said: it's like talking into your calculator.

Verizon has this thing called Chaperone. I can locate my daughter any time I want, it will show me on a map within a few hundred feet of her location.

i've got daughters myself -- not old enough for this technology yet -- but soon enough. i honestly don't know whether or not i will go this route when the time comes. as a dad, i completely understand where you're coming from ... but there's part of me that feels like there's something corrosive about being able to manage your kids' comings and goings this closely.

i've got daughters myself -- not old enough for this technology yet -- but soon enough. i honestly don't know whether or not i will go this route when the time comes. as a dad, i completely understand where you're coming from ... but there's part of me that feels like there's something corrosive about being able to manage your kids' comings and goings this closely.

I hear ya... but it's not like I'm "locating" her every 5 minutes... I've actually only used it 3-4 times since we got it a few months ago. Really it's more of a deterrent for her just knowing that IF we want to know where she is, we can find out.

And it is good to have when the "story" she's giving you just doesn't make sense or sounds fishy... long story, but to be honest, we caught her in a few lies in the past and we hear stories about things kids do these days that would blow your mind. I'm sure none of us were angels, but the things we were doing at 16-17, kids now are doing at 11-12... trust me, you will want to protect your daughters... I remember what was going thru my head at 16, these boys now are WAY ahead of that. This just adds a little incentive and an easy excuse she can use to get her out of being the "un-cool kid", now she's just the kid with strict parents. I'm not saying this is for everyone, just saying in certain situations it's good that's it's there. No one knows my situation just like I don't know anyone elses.

The whole tracking device thing is something I'm torn on. I think if my parents had done it to me when I was younger, I would have been super pissed that they didn't trust me. Honestly, they could have tracked me and I would still have gone wherever I wanted; it was too much of an inconvenience for them to take my car, phone, etc. away.

I wonder to myself though that if I ever have a daughter, would I consider it. Truthfully, I probably would. If I had a son; not so much. I hate arguing with fem-nazis about this whole thing because they always complain that it's a double standard. Honestly, it is. And it's one that I believe is true. Until I see a teenage girl who is more capable of taking care of herself than a teenage boy, I'm going to maintain that standard. Will I feel creepy if I'm monitoring my daughter's whereabouts? Yeah, probably. But it might be a necessary evil.

My wife has one but I don't. There is very little I hate more than talking on the phone. Every time I see someone walking around a store using one or when they have one of those gay ear pieces in their ear I get the overwhelming urge to punch them in the back of the head. Actually I would be in favor of making it legal to assault anyone caught using one of those ear pieces in public. It's OK for fast food employees not everyone else.

I have a blackberry (I use it more just to get my emails, and texting my girlfriend) and I have a Bluetooth earpiece. The Bluetooth never leaves my truck. I use it only while driving to answer the phone or if I need to make a call. I don't get the urge to use them where ever you go, like in the stores when you could just use your phone normally.

I am just like you though in that I hate talking on phones. I don't have a problem if someone calls me, but I hate making phone calls

The whole tracking device thing is something I'm torn on. I think if my parents had done it to me when I was younger, I would have been super pissed that they didn't trust me. Honestly, they could have tracked me and I would still have gone wherever I wanted; it was too much of an inconvenience for them to take my car, phone, etc. away.

I wonder to myself though that if I ever have a daughter, would I consider it. Truthfully, I probably would. If I had a son; not so much. I hate arguing with fem-nazis about this whole thing because they always complain that it's a double standard. Honestly, it is. And it's one that I believe is true. Until I see a teenage girl who is more capable of taking care of herself than a teenage boy, I'm going to maintain that standard. Will I feel creepy if I'm monitoring my daughter's whereabouts? Yeah, probably. But it might be a necessary evil.

If it was a case of sitting there watching the blip on the screen all day and not trusting your kid at all, I would say that is overprotective and creepy. I remember having friends whose parents would hardly let their kids go anywhere ... this is not necessarily like that ... it's not like the invisible fence for pets where if you leave the yard you get zapped ... you can still trust your child and have this as a safety net ... it's just so that if the kid SAYS he is going to the movies, and you say fine, no problem, and then comes home and can't remember what movie he saw, you can go check where the hell he was ... modern version of "I'm staying at Jimmy's" and then calling Jimmy's mom and finding out your kid was never there.

It's not for everyone, for sure, but it's not necessarily unhealthy or overprotective either.

Haven't been without a cell phone for probably 10 years. No longer have a personal land-line, but we do have a fax and business line paid for by my wife's company. I like being available, and thanks to caller ID I have no problem ignoring calls or letting them go to voicemail.

Haven't been without a cell phone for probably 10 years. No longer have a personal land-line, but we do have a fax and business line paid for by my wife's company. I like being available, and thanks to caller ID I have no problem ignoring calls or letting them go to voicemail.

Prick!! :nana:

I have a blackberry (I use it more just to get my emails, and texting my girlfriend) and I have a Bluetooth earpiece. The Bluetooth never leaves my truck. I use it only while driving to answer the phone or if I need to make a call. I don't get the urge to use them where ever you go, like in the stores when you could just use your phone normally.

I am just like you though in that I hate talking on phones. I don't have a problem if someone calls me, but I hate making phone calls

I had an appointment with a photographer that was being considered for my wedding. Throughout his entire presentation he had the Bluetooth in his ear. That, along with his attitude that the wedding wasn't large (expensive) enough and overall jerkiness, moved us in another direction. If you're not driving, why have that piece of plastic in your ear?

I have one...but I can tell you what bothers me about cell phones...

Hearing someone's voicemail that goes something like this:

"Hello.............................................................................Hello?!...............................Hello, is anyone there?!.....................Ha! This is my voicemail, leave me a message, idiot!"

Meanwhile, you are on the other end acting like the verizon guy, "Hello? Can you hear me now?"

Bastards and their creative ways to piss me off.

Went to go see dark knight a week ago and during the movie i saw probably a dozen blue blinking lights on the sides of peoples head. One guy was sitting about two rows in front of me and i asked him to put it away and he said "I'm waiting for a call". GET THE &^%$ OUT OF THE THEATER THEN A$$!

I hate those damn Bluetooth ear pieces. It's quite simple.. YOU'RE NOT THAT IMPORTANT.

I've turned and looked at folks talking "at me" more than once and asked them to repeat themselves, mostly because I thought I missed something they were trying to say. Then there's that look... you know... that "why are you talking to me while I'm on the phone, jackass?" look... It's twice as bad because it only comes after my attempt to be polite.

I'm totally fine with cell phones... it's the little perks and features we're starting to add to make ourselves MORE available that bug me. People aren't meant to be wired up all of the time. We need breaks; it's good for our tickers.

Archived