[OT] Do you own a cell phone?

LabattBlue

60 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own a cell phone?

• Yes
    • No

I'm with the "no land line" group here. My wife and I both have Palm Centros and we love them....not so much for talking with me, but more the internet access and E-Mail access. Really, I never use mine. I'm also with the " I hate talking on my phone" group. I love the RJ ringtones, though.....

On the subject of tracking, I would have to agree with this technology. I would also have to agree that girls are different then boys. Not to go off track or anything, but how many stories do you hear about a 16 year old boy being kidnapped, raped, and killed? It's just different with daughters, and until you have one (or 2 in my case) it's hard to understand, I think. There is a difference, though, between being responsible and understanding with this technology, and just plain being over-bearing psychos for parents.

Not carrying a cell phone, if for no other reason then in case of an emergency, is boarder-line crazy. You never know when you're going to get stranded somewhere. I work in a call center and our inbound calls are for people who have broken down, and let me tell you, my employees receive several calls a night where customers had to wait for someone to pull over and offer a cell phone because they didn't have one. I will not allow anyone in my family to ever have to be in a situation like that. It's just not worth it.

I hate those damn Bluetooth ear pieces. It's quite simple.. YOU'RE NOT THAT IMPORTANT.

I've turned and looked at folks talking "at me" more than once and asked them to repeat themselves, mostly because I thought I missed something they were trying to say. Then there's that look... you know... that "why are you talking to me while I'm on the phone, jackass?" look... It's twice as bad because it only comes after my attempt to be polite.

I'm totally fine with cell phones... it's the little perks and features we're starting to add to make ourselves MORE available that bug me. People aren't meant to be wired up all of the time. We need breaks; it's good for our tickers.

A friend of mine was interviewing candidates for a position at his company and this woman walks in with one of those bluetooth ear pieces and keeps it in for the entire interview!!! Fukcing morons.

I have a cell phone that is necessary for work. I share it with my wife and my oldest daughter. I don't like to use it often, never text and often wish I didn't have one.

I have a pet peeve about people who use their phones in grocery store lines or anywhere else they should be paying attention to what they are doing but put the phone as first priority. I find it unbeleivably rude when people don't step away to answer their phones and despise a.) obnoxious loud ring tones (mine is set as close as I can get to a normal telephone ring) and b.) learning waaay too much about the person who answers the phone in crowded places as they talk to loudly and refuse to step away.

My children will get a cell phone when they begin to drive. I really think it is insane and pathetic when my kids tell me about thier elementary school friends with cell phones. That tells me only that parents are spoiling their kids and caving to the "all my friends have one" argument or that they are afraid their kid isn't "cool" enough without one. There is absolutely no need for a kid to have or need a cell phone until they drive, imo, and they should never be allowed to have it on in school.

EDIT:McJeff, you mean like this:

Khn1d6LQ8PU

I really hate the dependancy people have with over communicating/media in general. And when they are not sucked into their phone; they are wondering whats wrong with it or when the new version is coming out. My issue is keeping employees to keep their phones in their lockers while working :angry:

My children will get a cell phone when they begin to drive. I really think it is insane and pathetic when my kids tell me about thier elementary school friends with cell phones. That tells me only that parents are spoiling their kids and caving to the "all my friends have one" argument or that they are afraid their kid isn't "cool" enough without one. There is absolutely no need for a kid to have or need a cell phone until they drive, imo, and they should never be allowed to have it on in school.

I'm totally with you on this... my daughter just got hers two months ago, turned 16 and got her first job (40hrs/wk-summer), and will be driving soon. I absolutely hate the "everyone has one" argument or "everyone else's parents let them ...", etc... Parents aren't supposed to be friends first, they are parents and giving in all the time doesn't teach your kid anything. Many kids now a days are spoiled brats with no manners and think the world owes them something, like they are entitled to everything. It's so annoying. It's usually because their parents are too lazy to do the right thing and just cave on everything. ok, this is getting way off topic... sorry.

point is, I agree with Screamin'Weasel. :)

I'm totally with you on this... my daughter just got hers two months ago, turned 16 and got her first job (40hrs/wk-summer), and will be driving soon. I absolutely hate the "everyone has one" argument or "everyone else's parents let them ...", etc... Parents aren't supposed to be friends first, they are parents and giving in all the time doesn't teach your kid anything. Many kids now a days are spoiled brats with no manners and think the world owes them something, like they are entitled to everything. It's so annoying. It's usually because their parents are too lazy to do the right thing and just cave on everything. ok, this is getting way off topic... sorry.

point is, I agree with Screamin'Weasel. :)

This was good for me since I have a young daughter. I am glad I know about this option now because I can definitely see using it when she does get a phone. I also like the idea of 16 and driving before she gets one since we just had this dicussion in the car the other day, she is eleven. "Dad when can I get a cell phone, some of my freinds at school have them ....my response went something like this..... Gee honey we'll have to think about that, what do they do with them, doesn't the school prohibit using them during class?

Archived