Something Big?

tom webster

Teppo has signed, but this is not the something big, but maybe the precursor to Jaro being moved.

Deal not announced yet.

This is like the episode of The Office where Michael promises a "big surprise" at the end of the day. Tick, tick, tick...

Guest Sloth
This is like the episode of The Office where Michael promises a "big surprise" at the end of the day. Tick, tick, tick...

The Sabres can't lose Spacek. He's the "It's bread and butter" guy!

Teppo has signed, but this is not the something big, but maybe the precursor to Jaro being moved.

Only two guys I can think of off the top of my head who are both rumored to be on the block/in play and would be worth giving up Spacek in a deal ... Bouwmeester or Bieksa ...

Bieksa probably makes the most sense, his cap number is very similar to Spacek's, he's signed through 2010-11, so that's good for the Sabres ... as for the Canucks, they are a team supposedly waiting on Sundin ... if they don't get him, would they deal Bieksa for Spacek and some offense? Spacek and Max are essentially expiring contracts ... plus the Sedins and Ohlund are also expiring ... they could want the space to re-sign them or be serious players in free agency next year with all that cash coming off their cap ...

Not saying that would be the whole deal ... just sayin that one has the makings of something that makes sense ...

Guest Sloth
Well, that just ruined my weekend. Thanks Tom.

Mine too. Time for a 12 pack of good old Sam Adams Light.

I basically look for any reason to drink on a Friday or Saturday night. :beer:

How can you be unhappy that we added a good defenseman? I know you like Weber, but if he's that good, he'll muscle his way into the lineup -- ie he'll beat out Paetsch for the #7 spot and thus get into the lineup whenever one of the top 6 goes down. If he can't beat out Paetsch for #7, then he's definitely not as good as Teppo.

(Or, maybe Tommy W is right about this being the initial tremor before the earthquake, and Spacek goes somewhere for something really good, opening up a spot in the top 6 for Weber. I'm not holding my breath, but it could happen. Spacek is a UFA after this year and I wouldn't be surprised to see us try to get something for him.)

Either way: Darcy and Lindy, whom you used to trust, think Teppo is a really good defenseman, as do Ken Hitchcock and most of the posters here. If he plays well this year, I hope you'll reconsider.

I've never quite understood your hatred toward Teppo. I could understand thinking that he is not as great as some coaches, GMs, players and even lowly posters think he is, but do you really think that he is that bad?

Teppo is a good one year mentor for Sekera, who might be playing opposite Rivet in 2009-10 if Spacek isn't re-signed. I'd rather have 8 NHL-level defensemen with one playing top-pair in the AHL than just seven. Check the stats to see how many games we actually had all six starting defensmen playing. Weber will get plenty of shots.

I've never quite understood your hatred toward Teppo. I could understand thinking that he is not as great as some coaches, GMs, players and even lowly posters think he is, but do you really think that he is that bad?

Teppo is a good one year mentor for Sekera, who might be playing opposite Rivet in 2009-10 if Spacek isn't re-signed. I'd rather have 8 NHL-level defensemen with one playing top-pair in the AHL than just seven. Check the stats to see how many games we actually had all six starting defensmen playing. Weber will get plenty of shots.

A move like this is made more for sentimental reasons than actual hockey reasons. The Sabres had a great number of options available to improve the defense this season. Teppo was nowhere near the best option available. Even if Teppo can remain relatively healthy his style of game doesn't fill the needs of the Sabre defense. Teppo is not a physical player and at 40 years old he will be a step or more slower than the last time he suited up. He has played only one game in well over a year.

My biggest concern is that no matter how much Weber outplays Teppo during training camp and the preseason Teppo will get the nod because he's 40. I will hate to see sentimental politics keeping a player that will without question make the Sabres a better team not be in the lineup.

Also,

If the Sabres move Spacek and bring in another top four defensemen that doesn't change anything regarding Teppo. The Sabres have too many wasted roster spots already with Peters, Max, and Connolly all taking up spots. They didn't need another one.

As long as they are counting on him for the 7th defenseman I am fine with it..He could surprise me and actually contribute..It wouldnt shock me too much..I just kinda hoped they would go after a younger bigger fish instead of the one floating down the river with its gills barely moving to stay alive.

A move like this is made more for sentimental reasons than actual hockey reasons. The Sabres had a great number of options available to improve the defense this season. Teppo was nowhere near the best option available. Even if Teppo can remain relatively healthy his style of game doesn't fill the needs of the Sabre defense. Teppo is not a physical player and at 40 years old he will be a step or more slower than the last time he suited up. He has played only one game in well over a year.

My biggest concern is that no matter how much Weber outplays Teppo during training camp and the preseason Teppo will get the nod because he's 40. I will hate to see sentimental politics keeping a player that will without question make the Sabres a better team not be in the lineup.

Also,

If the Sabres move Spacek and bring in another top four defensemen that doesn't change anything regarding Teppo. The Sabres have too many wasted roster spots already with Peters, Max, and Connolly all taking up spots. They didn't need another one.

The bolded sentence is nonsense, as is most of this post.

Where to begin? Let's go in order:

1. Darcy and Lindy are in the business of winning hockey games. They make signing decisions based on that factor, not on "sentimental reasons". If "sentimental reasons" were so important, you'd have seen them take a real shot at Orpik, whom everyone wanted and who is from WNY.

2. I assume you checked your facts before posting and so you realize that 2 years ago Teppo played 21 minutes per game, had 29 points and was a plus-17. I also assume that you have decided that his age and the fact that he missed last year lead to the unavoidable conclusion that his game will slip dramatically from his performance of 2 years ago, even though he looked pretty good in the last game of the year last year. Is that right?

3. Who, specifically, were the options available for the Sabres that were better than Teppo? I assume you are going to respond with Orpik. Please explain why, as a UFA, if he is so great, he didn't attract a huge offer that would've kept him from coming back to Pittsburgh. Please also list the other "numerous" options that were available. Did you want them to sign Redden? What, exactly, would you have liked to have occurred that would have given us a better top 6 than:

Rivet-Spacek

Tallinder-Lydman

Teppo-Sekera

4. Who in the East has a better top 6 than the above?

5. Why exactly do you think that Darcy and Lindy would favor Teppo over Weber? More specifically, why would they play a guy who wouldn't give them a better chance to win than another guy?

Everyone likes Weber. I like him too. But to ignore the facts about Teppo's long career, especially his recent performance with the Sabres, in favor of relentless beating the drum for a guy who's played a grand total of 16 NHL games is just silly. More to the point, it is borderline insane to assume that Darcy and Lindy wouldn't play Weber and bench ANY of the top 6 if they thought it would give us a better chance to win.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Double ditto that... nfreeman

and let me also add and remind all of the Red wings envy thread that was here right after the SC finals where allot of folks where saying why can't we do things like a winning organisation like the red wings...

Well this is exactly what they would do, keeping around a good steadying veteran influence to model and work with the kids coming up instead of rushing the kids into one of the hardest positions to play in hockey right off the bat.. defense...

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Double ditto that... nfreeman

and let me also add and remind all of the Red wings envy thread that was here right after the SC finals where allot of folks where saying why can't we do things like a winning organisation like the red wings...

Well this is exactly what they would do, keeping around a good steadying veteran influence to model and work with the kids coming up instead of rushing the kids into one of the hardest positions to play in hockey right off the bat.. defense...

Brendan Shanahan was let go in a rebuilding mode move..

The bolded sentence is nonsense, as is most of this post.

Where to begin? Let's go in order:

1. Darcy and Lindy are in the business of winning hockey games. They make signing decisions based on that factor, not on "sentimental reasons". If "sentimental reasons" were so important, you'd have seen them take a real shot at Orpik, whom everyone wanted and who is from WNY.

2. I assume you checked your facts before posting and so you realize that 2 years ago Teppo played 21 minutes per game, had 29 points and was a plus-17. I also assume that you have decided that his age and the fact that he missed last year lead to the unavoidable conclusion that his game will slip dramatically from his performance of 2 years ago, even though he looked pretty good in the last game of the year last year. Is that right?

3. Who, specifically, were the options available for the Sabres that were better than Teppo? I assume you are going to respond with Orpik. Please explain why, as a UFA, if he is so great, he didn't attract a huge offer that would've kept him from coming back to Pittsburgh. Please also list the other "numerous" options that were available. Did you want them to sign Redden? What, exactly, would you have liked to have occurred that would have given us a better top 6 than:

Rivet-Spacek

Tallinder-Lydman

Teppo-Sekera

4. Who in the East has a better top 6 than the above?

5. Why exactly do you think that Darcy and Lindy would favor Teppo over Weber? More specifically, why would they play a guy who wouldn't give them a better chance to win than another guy?

Everyone likes Weber. I like him too. But to ignore the facts about Teppo's long career, especially his recent performance with the Sabres, in favor of relentless beating the drum for a guy who's played a grand total of 16 NHL games is just silly. More to the point, it is borderline insane to assume that Darcy and Lindy wouldn't play Weber and bench ANY of the top 6 if they thought it would give us a better chance to win.

Whats so special about that top 6....Rivet and Spacek are the only 2 most teams might make a play for..Tallinder and Lydman were downtright horrible last yr..Teppo is 40 and Sekera is progressing...I see a few teams better than that 6...I dont mind the Teppo signning as much as I thought I would, I wouldve rather seen them go a little younger and tougher..We will have the next 8 months to see who is on the right side of this argument..

yes..... but that's a forward not a defenseman and... at some point when the kids are ready you do have too let go...

you couldnt have stated my feelings any better...The Wings let Scneider go also so a younger player(lilja) could get more time..

Also,

This is pure nonsense. The Sabres are all about business. They tried to stiff Teppo last year based on cold hard business. If you said they signed him as part of their settlement, that would have actually made more sense.

The Sabres looked at Detroit's "D" and decided their original belief that a mobile, quick passing defense is the way to go. Furthermore, to assume that a 20 year old defensemen with less then 20 games experience is ready for full time duty makes little sense for someone who professes to know as much as you do.

3. Who, specifically, were the options available for the Sabres that were better than Teppo?

I'd even go so far as to amend this and say "who, specifically, were the options for the Sabres that are better than Teppo and would have cost around the same ($1.1M)?"

Brendan Shanahan was let go in a rebuilding mode move..

you couldnt have stated my feelings any better...The Wings let Scneider go also so a younger player(lilja) could get more time..

Not to pick on you specifically, but we all try to use the Wings as the model for NHL franchises, and probably rightfully so, but I'm going to have to disagree with you on these two examples. When the Wings let Shanahan go, they were significantly over the $39.6 million salary cap in 2005-2006 and they were forced to let him go and buy-out Derian Hatcher. I don't think they were moving in another direction, they just could not afford to keep him. Even otherwise, the rebuilding mode the Red Wings went to was not all that successful as they were the top seed in the Western Conference even though they lost in the first round against Edmonton. Additionally, they were still the oldest team in the NHL even without Shanahan, so that move really wasn't so much about rebuilding as it was about getting rid of salary to get below the cap.

As for Schneider, they did not let him go to get younger. And, if that was their strategy, they failed pretty miserably because they only got about 5 years younger. They let go of a 38 year old Schneider in order to sign a 33 year old Brian Rafalski. Also, Andreas Lilja is 33, so he's not that young either and has about 10 years of NHL experience. Additionally, they are paying Rafalski more than what Schneider is making in Anaheim. So, I guess you can consider swapping out a 38 year old for a 33 year old a youth movement, but most really wouldn't think so, but maybe that's a youth movement in Detroit.

I can see where you are coming from with regard to your opinion of Teppo, but using Detroit's example with Shanahan, which was forced because they were significantly over the salary cap, and using the example of swapping a 38 year old Schneider for a 33 year old Rafalski really does not show the Red Wings rebuilding or going to a youth movement. And, even if the Sabres were to do what the Wings did and get 5 years younger at defenseman, what 35 year old is available on the open market right now with a very similar skillset to Teppo that is willing to play for $1.1 million? Remember, Rafalski and Schneider are both very solid offensive defenseman and Rafalski was signed solely to replace Schneider's skillset. What player out there can replace Teppo's skillset and is 5 years younger? You're not going to find one.

Not to pick on you specifically, but we all try to use the Wings as the model for NHL franchises, and probably rightfully so, but I'm going to have to disagree with you on these two examples. When the Wings let Shanahan go, they were significantly over the $39.6 million salary cap in 2005-2006 and they were forced to let him go and buy-out Derian Hatcher. I don't think they were moving in another direction, they just could not afford to keep him. Even otherwise, the rebuilding mode the Red Wings went to was not all that successful as they were the top seed in the Western Conference even though they lost in the first round against Edmonton. Additionally, they were still the oldest team in the NHL even without Shanahan, so that move really wasn't so much about rebuilding as it was about getting rid of salary to get below the cap.

As for Schneider, they did not let him go to get younger. And, if that was their strategy, they failed pretty miserably because they only got about 5 years younger. They let go of a 38 year old Schneider in order to sign a 33 year old Brian Rafalski. Also, Andreas Lilja is 33, so he's not that young either and has about 10 years of NHL experience. Additionally, they are paying Rafalski more than what Schneider is making in Anaheim. So, I guess you can consider swapping out a 38 year old for a 33 year old a youth movement, but most really wouldn't think so, but maybe that's a youth movement in Detroit.

I can see where you are coming from with regard to your opinion of Teppo, but using Detroit's example with Shanahan, which was forced because they were significantly over the salary cap, and using the example of swapping a 38 year old Schneider for a 33 year old Rafalski really does not show the Red Wings rebuilding or going to a youth movement. And, even if the Sabres were to do what the Wings did and get 5 years younger at defenseman, what 35 year old is available on the open market right now with a very similar skillset to Teppo that is willing to play for $1.1 million? Remember, Rafalski and Schneider are both very solid offensive defenseman and Rafalski was signed solely to replace Schneider's skillset. What player out there can replace Teppo's skillset and is 5 years younger? You're not going to find one.

They specifically said in an interview that the reason they didnt want to resign Shanahan was to let the younger players like Datsyuk to step up..Disagree with me all you want but cant disagree with the words of the GM from the team..

They specifically said in an interview that the reason they didnt want to resign Shanahan was to let the younger players like Datsyuk to step up..Disagree with me all you want but cant disagree with the words of the GM from the team..

Isn't that what all the FO haters around here do anyways?

Not to rain on any parades, but the Wings wanted to bring back Shanny:

DETROIT -- Red Wings general manager Ken Holland has made offers to re-sign defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom, forward Brendan Shanahan and goaltender Chris Osgood but doesn't know if any of the three will agree to deals before free agency begins Saturday.

"I'm trying to work with each of those players, and their agents, to find a number that works for them and works for us," Holland said Wednesday. "Hopefully, we'll find something that works for both sides in each of those three cases."

LINK

And they could have brought him back but because of the cap, they couldn't offer him much of a raise:

DETROIT -- Steve Yzerman is gone, and Brendan Shanahan could be next.

Shanahan isn't following in Yzerman's footsteps and retiring. But he could be leaving through free agency.

Shanahan's agent, Rick Curran, told general manager Ken Holland on Monday that Shanahan likely will make a decision in the next 2-3 days.

Shanahan, who is an unrestricted free agent, is being pursued by St. Louis and Boston.

Owner Mike Ilitch, Holland and coach Mike Babcock talked with Shanahan last weekend, expressing a desire for him to remain with the Wings.

"A number of teams have expressed interest in Brendan," Holland said. "He's sorting through his options."

Shanahan had 40 goals last season and earned $2.18 million. But because of the Wings' salary-cap limitations, they can only offer him a slight raise.

"We're holding that money for Brendan and we'll see what happens," Holland said.

LINK

Archived