Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

For college students, my roomate and I are quite the snobs ourselves. We started drinking Wild Turkey American Honey in coke, then moved on to others, to the point where we drink it on the rocks now. We have at least one empty bottle of the following:

Wild Turkey American Honey

Wild Turkey Original

Wild Turkey 101

Wild Turkey Rye

Jim Beam

Jim Beam Red Stag

Jim Beam Green Label

Jack Daniels

Bulleitt

Old Grand-Dad 100

Bakers

Old Crow

Buffalo Trace

The Buffalo Trace 125 corn whiskey is also delicious on the rocks.

You aren't snobs. You're rookies. Call me when you can drink a Laphroaig Quarter Cask or an Ardbeg Supernova neat at room temperature.

You aren't snobs. You're rookies. Call me when you can drink a Laphroaig Quarter Cask or an Ardbeg Supernova neat at room temperature.

I don't like most of the list that prompted your post, but we are discussing whisky from the South and not that dirt-filtered stuff from across the water.

I don't like most of the list that prompted your post, but we are discussing whisky from the South and not that dirt-filtered stuff from across the water.

Hey if you need more sugar and ice in your whisky, by all means. It takes a real man to handle the smoke, iodine and peat of the Scots. ;)

Meh. They are learning and on a college budget. Give em a little credit instead of getting all "my pernis is bigger than yours" on him.

• Like (+1) 1

Meh. They are learning and on a college budget. Give em a little credit instead of getting all "my pernis is bigger than yours" on him.

Settle down, I was there too. Couldn't handle a bourbon without dousing it in carbonated sugar. Years go by and the next thing you know, you're exchanging $150 bottles for Christmas. It brings a tear to my eye, they're growing up so fast.

I was taking a jab at the 'snob' comment. All in fun.

• Like (+1) 1

Settle down, I was there too. Couldn't handle a bourbon without dousing it in carbonated sugar. Years go by and the next thing you know, you're exchanging $150 bottles for Christmas. It brings a tear to my eye, they're growing up so fast.

I was taking a jab at the 'snob' comment. All in fun.

I'll say this, if you aren't full of fecal matter then I don't know how the hell you guys do it. Can't imagine a $150 bottle gets you twice the juice that a $75 bottle gets you.

Can't bring myself about to pull the plug on one of those super-mega-premium bottles.

I'll say this, if you aren't full of fecal matter then I don't know how the hell you guys do it. Can't imagine a $150 bottle gets you twice the juice that a $75 bottle gets you.

Can't bring myself about to pull the plug on one of those super-mega-premium bottles.

Same goes for wine and cigars, BTW. I have had Scotch out of $250 bottles. It still tastes like dirt. I also have had really expensive bourbon, and it tastes no better than a bottle that costs $60. There's a lot of "hey, I'll pay for that label!" in that industry, just like with wine and cigars. You reach a limit, and beyond that, only .01% (and I MEANT THAT, mindful of the "percentage" thread) knows the difference.

Have you tried it? It's a different beast all together. We chipped in and bought a $300 bottle of Lagavulin 21 for the holidays last year. For aging in an oak cask for 21 years, you'd think it was smooth. It was smooth alright, right up to the point where we realized that it was 130 proof. I've never experienced a kick in the chest like that.

As for my comments, I'm really not trying to be a dick, just stirring the pot. This is fantastic, go to a hockey forum to talk whisky. And if those boys have that kind of collection in college, I GUARANTEE that they will be drinking high octane in the 3 figures a decade from now.

Same goes for wine and cigars, BTW. I have had Scotch out of $250 bottles. It still tastes like dirt. I also have had really expensive bourbon, and it tastes no better than a bottle that costs $60. There's a lot of "hey, I'll pay for that label!" in that industry, just like with wine and cigars. You reach a limit, and beyond that, only .01% (and I MEANT THAT, mindful of the "percentage" thread) knows the difference.

Sorry for the double post, but Eleven, you are absolutely right. However, I do say there are really expensive bottles of Scotch that are in a level all their own. My favorite scotch: Ardbeg 10, $44 a bottle

Yeah. IMO the difference in price is more about scarcity and manufactured demand than some quantum increase in the experience.

At least that's what I tell myself when I'm in the store contemplating my middle class budget. :blush:

Sorry for the double post, but Eleven, you are absolutely right. However, I do say there are really expensive bottles of Scotch that are in a level all their own. My favorite scotch: Ardbeg 10, $44 a bottle

Next time I'm headed to a Scotch-drinking friend's Christmas or birthday party, I'll look for it!

That said, this is a complaint thread. I have plenty of Maker's on hand, but I can't drink it because I have to pretend I'm smart in the morning. Dammit.

Have you tried it? It's a different beast all together. We chipped in and bought a $300 bottle of Lagavulin 21 for the holidays last year. For aging in an oak cask for 21 years, you'd think it was smooth. It was smooth alright, right up to the point where we realized that it was 130 proof. I've never experienced a kick in the chest like that.

As for my comments, I'm really not trying to be a dick, just stirring the pot. This is fantastic, go to a hockey forum to talk whisky. And if those boys have that kind of collection in college, I GUARANTEE that they will be drinking high octane in the 3 figures a decade from now.

Can't say that I've tried any of the high end whisky's. And, like Eleven, my tastes turned to bourbon awhile ago. And IMO $150 bourbons are a sham, let alone $300 bourbons.

It's cool just stirring the pot. You're not a regular poster here so I didn't have a read on you. Now that I know you're just having fun we can start to discuss why you feel inclined to spend so much money on that old mildewy sock water. :nana:

Next time I'm headed to a Scotch-drinking friend's Christmas or birthday party, I'll look for it!

That said, this is a complaint thread. I have plenty of Maker's on hand, but I can't drink it because I have to pretend I'm smart in the morning. Dammit.

I'll play. I too have a cabinet of the good stuff, yet the wife is out and I'm watching the 2 munchkins. Last time I checked, a passed out drunk dad = CPS phone call.

Was more of an Oban guy when I was drinking Scotch.

I'll play. I too have a cabinet of the good stuff, yet the wife is out and I'm watching the 2 munchkins. Last time I checked, a passed out drunk dad = CPS phone call.

Not if you get them to pass out first. Creative problem solving is the key.

Was more of an Oban guy when I was drinking Scotch.

Oban is nice. As for bourbon, MM is so good. If I indulge in the dirty south, it's Noah's Mill. Unfortunately, from drinking the peaty malts of Islay my palate is shot. I'm a panzy when it comes to bourbon now. Some are way too sugary for me.

Oban is nice. As for bourbon, MM is so good. If I indulge in the dirty south, it's Noah's Mill. Unfortunately, from drinking the peaty malts of Islay my palate is shot. I'm a panzy when it comes to bourbon now. Some are way too sugary for me.

There's my complaint for this line of convo. Too many bourbon distillers insist on really bringing out the caramel character of the barrels. I don't want to pay premium dollars for syrup. Ain't nuthin wrong with keeping it subtle, yo !!

There's my complaint for this line of convo. Too many bourbon distillers insist on really bringing out the caramel character of the barrels. I don't want to pay premium dollars for syrup. Ain't nuthin wrong with keeping it subtle, yo !!

Syrup. And isn't that what started the whole "line of convo?" Damned syrup.

(If it's simple syrup, and it's a mint julep, and it's late Spring, I'm in.)

We'll be drinking juleps next weekend while watching the ponies run. :wub:

.........especially if there's ladies in hats. Oh and Uncle Mo is there.

We'll be drinking juleps next weekend while watching the ponies run. :wub:

.........especially if there's ladies in hats. Oh and Uncle Mo is there.

Both awesome.

If you're stuck in Buffalo, The Place (Lexington at Ashland) makes a halfway-decent julep on Derby Day (and only on Derby Day). No silver cup, though.

Both awesome.

If you're stuck in Buffalo, The Place (Lexington at Ashland) makes a halfway-decent julep on Derby Day (and only on Derby Day). No silver cup, though.

Make my own. We have a house party for Derby day. Go through alot of MM passing out juleps all day.